Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It was a terrible take, but I think the dude took the criticism personally.

There's a lot of good debate on here, a good exchange of ideas.  But it kinda gets bad here when people cling to ideas and can't admit that they're wrong about something when there's insurmountable evidence to the contrary.  Digging your heels in and refusing to admit you were wrong or being incapable of changing your mind on something ensures that you're not going to get the best out of this place.

I was pretty hard on him, but he brought it on himself. He was so fixated on sacks or QB hits. 

That being said, I'd have no problem just burying the hatchet and moving on once he admits his wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

That being said, I'd have no problem just burying the hatchet and moving on once he admits his wrong.

He doesn't even need to do that...just let it go. I love to argue as much as anyone on here, but at some point, it's just not worth the effort 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I was pretty hard on him, but he brought it on himself. He was so fixated on sacks or QB hits. 

Okay, I admit he was wrong; lets move on

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It was a terrible take, but I think the dude took the criticism personally.

There's a lot of good debate on here, a good exchange of ideas.  But it kinda gets bad here when people cling to ideas and can't admit that they're wrong about something when there's insurmountable evidence to the contrary.  Digging your heels in and refusing to admit you were wrong or being incapable of changing your mind on something ensures that you're not going to get the best out of this place.

Part of the problem was his inability to acknowledge facts going against his narrative. Like we kept showing him the double team rate chart and all we got in return is “NAH NAH NAH I CAN’T HEAR YOU” and some random stats about DJ Wonnum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Nah.  I mean, they're in the conversation but I think the Ravens defense set the record for lowest points per game.  Also lowest rushing yards across a season.  

Bears defense was great, #2 ain't bad.  But I think the Ravens defense that year was a notch above.

I know you think that means something, but the ravens were playing in a garbage division and a weak conference in a weak year. They aren't close. I tend to think most people that rate the Ravens/Bucs ahead of the Bears just never saw them play, but then again my brother was a ravens booster as well. I'm sorry the Ravens weren't close. 

What offenses did they take on of quality that year? What coaches? What franchises of established or soon to be established quality? I'm just not buying, even a little. 

Here's the Bears Team/Defense CV in terms of quality opponents:

Faced their Super Bowl Opponent Wild Card lucky as hell patriots and pounded them twice, 66-17, giving up 2 TD's combined in two meetings. 

Faced the defending Super Bowl Champion 49ers, HOF QB Montana, HOF Walsh, Lott, Jerry Rice etc. Defense shut them out 26-3 (offense gave up a pick 6 to make it 26-10)

Faced the back to back Super Bowl appearing Redskins of '82-'83, promptly crushed us 45-10, after spotting us a 7-0 lead. 

Faced three peat NFC Title game loser Dallas ('80-'82) who would go on to win the much feared best division in football (NFC East) and promptly curb stomped them 44-0. 

In their playoff run:

Faced up and coming Parcells lead Giants team that would go 17-2 in '86, and promptly curb stomped them 21-0. 

Faced flukey Rams division title winners and humiliated them in the snow 24-0

Faced that Patriots team that had upset the Dolphins and Raiders (the former the only team blemish their record behind peak Marino's star turn in a 38-24 victory in Miami) in the playoffs and after spotting them a 3-0 lead, defenestrated them 46-10. 

Nothing the Ravens did comes close to this. Nothing. Did they allow fewer points? Maybe, but again, who did they player, a good but not great Titan's team under McNair that never won anything, one of the worst Super Bowl Entrants of the past 30 years in Kerry Collins lead NYG's in the Super Bowl, a Bronco's team that was at best solid, and a Raiders team that would peak a few years later but was no better than "good". 

They didn't beat a Walsh team, a Landry team, a Parcells team, and a Gibbs team. They beat up on a bunch of garbage, and struggled at that going 12-4 thanks to their incompetent offense, they lost to freaking Nori's '00 Redskins for gods sake. I get that it wasn't the defenses fault, that this was one of the worst ever Super Bowl winning offenses, perhaps THE WORST ever, but come on.

The key way to look at it to me is that teams did not like playing those raves, Ray Lewis scared them, and the team as a whole was an awesome defense. 

The Bears absolutely terrified teams, as a whole, just freaking terrified teams, you had quarterbacks literally sacking themselves to avoid being sacked and smashed to pieces by that defense. You had a pile of pass rushing HOF's, MLB's, and elite safeties. You had the 46 under Ryan, freaking Gregg Williams lost a game for the Jets a few weeks ago because he still has naughty dreams about that 46 defense in '85 destroying QB's and causing PTSD for nearly the entire leagues starting and backup QB cadre, period. 

There's been nothing like that Bears defense, before, or since. Nothing. Not the Bucs, not the Ravens. Don't care about the stats that were a byproduct of a 30 team league, in a shallow talent year and shallow quality team year for the league. As I posted elsewhere, '85 was also a dip year, but even so it was a 28 team league with 14 team conferences, and the Bears still had to make it past HOF coaces like Gibbs, Walsh, Landry, Parcells/Billichek, and they did so by pounding them by a combined score of 126-20 in those 4 games while allowing only 1 freaking TD.

Again, nothing the Ravens did comes in the same universe as that. Nothing. It's just not close, even w/that being down years for the Redskins, and w/the 49ers/Cowboys not quite up to prior versions or the Giants a year away from being 17-2, regardless, those were still Joe Montana's Niners, Tom Landry's Division winning Cowboys, a Redskins team that would go 19-5 after Theismann went down mid-season in '85 through the end of '86 with those 5 losses being to Walsh's Niners, a comically brutal one point loss to Elway's AFC Champion Broncos thanks to our historically inept kicker Max Zendejas' parting gift on my birthday, and 3 in a row to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Giants in '86 (in other words all five of the losses were to the three best teams of the mid-eighties-early nineties not named Washington Redskins or Chicago Bears). 

I know I'm babbling, but this is one of those kinds of arguments where I just love to talk shop, like the '89 Niners or the '91 Redskins, the '85 Bears don't really have any equals when it comes down to what they did great, and in particular that was defense. I just don't think you can compare a Ravens team who faced a weak division, weak conference and a down year for a bigger league that simply didn't have teams remotely like the competition that was the NFC, even in a down year, for a decade where the NFC was dominant and produced a gazillion HOF's, and innumerable powerhouse teams. The AFC was in a dip then, recovering from the retirement of Elway, Brady and the Patriots hadn't arrived, and the NFC was in decline and would largely stay that way for a decade, would be interesting to see them go up against one another, but honestly I think the Bears would've obliterated that Ravens team quite easily no thanks to the Ravens pathetic offense, and I don't think people would be confusing which defense was better because the dominance, for their era's, was clear, Bears win that argument easily for me. 18-1, and other than a memorable night by Marino, most teams didn't even want to show for those games, and most QB's were terrified period of even entering the field. Watch some of those games. Even I get scared watching what happened to some of those poor unfortunate -------'s who had the misfortune to have the bears on their schedule that year. I kinda want to throw some youtube on of them, but I may need a therapist to talk me through the horror's afterwards. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's a good writeup, but it doesn't account for the fact that the '00 Ravens were facing better, faster, stronger athletes and more sophisticated schemes.  

That's not how you compare though. Compare within era, w/regards to their accomplishments in said era.

If you put the '85 Bears in 2000, they are also using the nutritionists, the weight room, the phys therapists, the better surgeons etc. 

I'm cool with comparing both players, and teams outside of their own era's, but when you do that, you also need to include the changes/improvements that occur if you're moving forward in time, or the inferiorities of going backward in time (worse surgical options, inferior nutrition, weight rooms etc).

So to me anyway, when I comp them, I will give them all the equal advantages or disadvantages of the given time. These guys are the best of the best for their era, and while there are some idiots in any era, in general you can see that guys that made it to the top of '85, would've utilized the same available options to make it to the top in this era. Heck it's actually easier now in many ways because Crack/Coke aren't the same problem for athletes that they were 35-40 years ago when they were endemic in the entertainment and sports industry and society as a whole. 

Regardless though, if we're comparing, I'm either taking the Ravens to the coked up, crazy 80's with inferior nutritionists, surgeons, and training, or I'm taking the Bears up to the superior aughts in terms of all of the above and equalizing for those differences. Great athletes are great athletes, w/some minor exceptions here and there, the Bears would've been made up of players making the same smart nutritional and training based decisions the Ravens were making and vice Verca. The only major outliers to me relate to coke, and certain kinds of opioids that weren't similarly available etc (especially for a guy like McMahon whose body was destroyed and who suffered massive head trauma in those days, and so opioids might have flat out killed him). 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Nice video. I had not seen that one. He had some isolations. The shot by everett. I didn't remember that one. Man, dude got launched!  

I think Baldinger  might be a little over the top. Defence is playing great but I don’t know if they’re the best defence in the NFL right now.There is room for improvement but it’s great to see things coming together.

1 hour ago, Tarpon75 said:

I think Baldinger  might be a little over the top. Defence is playing great but I don’t know if they’re the best defence in the NFL right now.There is room for improvement but it’s great to see things coming together.

It’s not like we’ve been playing great offenses either. SF didn’t have Kittle or Jimmy G or Deebo, Pitts as we’ve seen aren’t great, Dallas had Andy Dalton at the helm and Cincy lost Burrow. We’re just catching teams at the right time. I’m a little concerned with the Seattle matchup seeing as they seemed to have figured out their struggles in their drubbing of the jets.

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/14/mmqb-week-14-green-bay-packers-top-seed-aaron-rodgers-bruce-arians-chase-young

CHASE YOUNG DOES IT ALL

After Washington beat the Niners, injured San Francisco star rusher Nick Bosa shot a text over to Chase Young, his ex-Ohio State teammate.

Hell of a game. Way to ball, brother.

That would qualify as an understatement. On Sunday, the Football Team took the Niners behind the woodshed, beating the “hosts” 23–15 in Arizona. And there was no denying it—the 21-year-old Young was the best player on the field. On Sunday, he became the first rookie and third player since 1999 to have two passes defensed, a sack, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a fumble returned for a touchdown in a single game.

Young’s been a menace all year for Washington. But this was different than just that.

“As the season goes on, I definitely have been getting more comfortable when I’m out there,” Young told me postgame. “And today, I just tried to put it all together. I try to do that every game, but today it just happened for me. I’m grateful.”

Washington is, too, that he was there for them with the second pick, which has helped land them in sole possession of first place in the NFC East with three weeks to go. And reason for that gratitude really showed up on a handful of plays that shot Young’s star into the stratosphere. So I figured we’d have Young take us through those.

First quarter, 9:31 left, second-and-7, 49ers’ 38 … 49ers QB Nick Mullens throws a screen to WR Brandon Aiyuk for five yards. “On that play I saw Trent [Williams]’s eyes, he was looking down. So I knew he wasn’t coming to me. I knew there was something up. He went down, the quarterback popped back, he looked my way, so I said, ‘Screen.’ I just tried to put my foot in the ground and get back to it as fast as I could. Me and Jon [Allen] were on that play right there. That’s definitely what Coach [Jack] Del Rio preaches, and that’s what we just try to do.”

First quarter, 9:02 left, third-and-two, 49ers’ 43 … Young sacks Mullens for an eight-yard loss. “On that sack, it was a play where I had to drop. And after like two seconds, if he didn’t look my way or throw my way, then he tells us to hit it. That’s all I did right there, I just hit it. And the tackle was looking at the guard, he didn’t see me coming. … I was licking my chops right there. Yessir.”

Second quarter, 5:00 left, second-and-four, 49ers’ 31 … Jeff Wilson runs off right tackle and is hit from behind by Young, two yards behind the line of scrimmage; Young jars the ball loose, and DaRon Payne recovers it. “Really, the tackle went down, my job is to dive. So I just hit it. And I think, when I really looked at it, the ball was kind of not secure in his hands, so when I hit him I think the impact just made it bobble out.”

Second quarter, 1:11 left, first-and-10, 49ers’ 49 … Payne sacks Mullens, knocks the ball out and Young returns it 47 yards for the touchdown. “I knew when I’ve seen that joint, it’s like city or country. City is when a lot of people are around it, and you jump on it, and country is when it’s alone. So I knew to pick that joint up. … I was just looking at green. All I knew was scoop-and-score.”

And so Washington, with Alex Smith down and Dwayne Haskins in for an extended stint, and the defense coming together when it’s needed most, is now the one being chased atop the NFC East. That, of course, is where Young’s focus is.

But winning Defensive Rookie of the Year—he’d be the fourth Ohio State alum in five years to do that—is something he’s thought about, too.

“I’m working on it,” he said with a laugh. “This game definitely helped. Don’t think I don’t hear everything, don’t think I’m not working for greater purposes. Because I want to be one of the best.”

Sunday would indicate he might already be there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s not like we’ve been playing great offenses either. SF didn’t have Kittle or Jimmy G or Deebo, Pitts as we’ve seen aren’t great, Dallas had Andy Dalton at the helm and Cincy lost Burrow. We’re just catching teams at the right time. I’m a little concerned with the Seattle matchup seeing as they seemed to have figured out their struggles in their drubbing of the jets.

Yea, you guys are right. It's all hyperbole. We actually suck. We have just been playing really bad teams that want to lose and miss the POs. We should never be able to enjoy a video that shows us doing well. Never be happy! Right?? Always want more!

Maybe for the players that's true. But we are fans! Ease up, seriously 🙂  I said it was a nice video and I enjoyed the cut ups. Is he a little over the top? Probably. But I am suppose to not enjoy it? It was a good video and fun to watch. Said nothing more or nothing less. Never even said I agree with his analysis. 

Seattle? Yes, we probably lose. Russell WIlson will not make the same mistakes these other QBs have been making. Unlike other QBs who you want to flush, they need to keep RW in the pocket. Although they did a good job of that with Ben. When he did get out is when he hurt us. When they made him a pocket passer he struggled so maybe that will be the strategy here. The good news is Seattle's defense can be scored on. They are not nearly as good as Pitts or SF. But I expect us to lose. Should be a close game but Pete Carroll always seems to find a way to beat us. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I know you think that means something, but the ravens were playing in a garbage division and a weak conference in a weak year. They aren't close. I tend to think most people that rate the Ravens/Bucs ahead of the Bears just never saw them play, but then again my brother was a ravens booster as well. I'm sorry the Ravens weren't close. 

What offenses did they take on of quality that year? What coaches? What franchises of established or soon to be established quality? I'm just not buying, even a little. 

Here's the Bears Team/Defense CV in terms of quality opponents:

Faced their Super Bowl Opponent Wild Card lucky as hell patriots and pounded them twice, 66-17, giving up 2 TD's combined in two meetings. 

Faced the defending Super Bowl Champion 49ers, HOF QB Montana, HOF Walsh, Lott, Jerry Rice etc. Defense shut them out 26-3 (offense gave up a pick 6 to make it 26-10)

Faced the back to back Super Bowl appearing Redskins of '82-'83, promptly crushed us 45-10, after spotting us a 7-0 lead. 

Faced three peat NFC Title game loser Dallas ('80-'82) who would go on to win the much feared best division in football (NFC East) and promptly curb stomped them 44-0. 

In their playoff run:

Faced up and coming Parcells lead Giants team that would go 17-2 in '86, and promptly curb stomped them 21-0. 

Faced flukey Rams division title winners and humiliated them in the snow 24-0

Faced that Patriots team that had upset the Dolphins and Raiders (the former the only team blemish their record behind peak Marino's star turn in a 38-24 victory in Miami) in the playoffs and after spotting them a 3-0 lead, defenestrated them 46-10. 

Nothing the Ravens did comes close to this. Nothing. Did they allow fewer points? Maybe, but again, who did they player, a good but not great Titan's team under McNair that never won anything, one of the worst Super Bowl Entrants of the past 30 years in Kerry Collins lead NYG's in the Super Bowl, a Bronco's team that was at best solid, and a Raiders team that would peak a few years later but was no better than "good". 

They didn't beat a Walsh team, a Landry team, a Parcells team, and a Gibbs team. They beat up on a bunch of garbage, and struggled at that going 12-4 thanks to their incompetent offense, they lost to freaking Nori's '00 Redskins for gods sake. I get that it wasn't the defenses fault, that this was one of the worst ever Super Bowl winning offenses, perhaps THE WORST ever, but come on.

The key way to look at it to me is that teams did not like playing those raves, Ray Lewis scared them, and the team as a whole was an awesome defense. 

The Bears absolutely terrified teams, as a whole, just freaking terrified teams, you had quarterbacks literally sacking themselves to avoid being sacked and smashed to pieces by that defense. You had a pile of pass rushing HOF's, MLB's, and elite safeties. You had the 46 under Ryan, freaking Gregg Williams lost a game for the Jets a few weeks ago because he still has naughty dreams about that 46 defense in '85 destroying QB's and causing PTSD for nearly the entire leagues starting and backup QB cadre, period. 

There's been nothing like that Bears defense, before, or since. Nothing. Not the Bucs, not the Ravens. Don't care about the stats that were a byproduct of a 30 team league, in a shallow talent year and shallow quality team year for the league. As I posted elsewhere, '85 was also a dip year, but even so it was a 28 team league with 14 team conferences, and the Bears still had to make it past HOF coaces like Gibbs, Walsh, Landry, Parcells/Billichek, and they did so by pounding them by a combined score of 126-20 in those 4 games while allowing only 1 freaking TD.

Again, nothing the Ravens did comes in the same universe as that. Nothing. It's just not close, even w/that being down years for the Redskins, and w/the 49ers/Cowboys not quite up to prior versions or the Giants a year away from being 17-2, regardless, those were still Joe Montana's Niners, Tom Landry's Division winning Cowboys, a Redskins team that would go 19-5 after Theismann went down mid-season in '85 through the end of '86 with those 5 losses being to Walsh's Niners, a comically brutal one point loss to Elway's AFC Champion Broncos thanks to our historically inept kicker Max Zendejas' parting gift on my birthday, and 3 in a row to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Giants in '86 (in other words all five of the losses were to the three best teams of the mid-eighties-early nineties not named Washington Redskins or Chicago Bears). 

I know I'm babbling, but this is one of those kinds of arguments where I just love to talk shop, like the '89 Niners or the '91 Redskins, the '85 Bears don't really have any equals when it comes down to what they did great, and in particular that was defense. I just don't think you can compare a Ravens team who faced a weak division, weak conference and a down year for a bigger league that simply didn't have teams remotely like the competition that was the NFC, even in a down year, for a decade where the NFC was dominant and produced a gazillion HOF's, and innumerable powerhouse teams. The AFC was in a dip then, recovering from the retirement of Elway, Brady and the Patriots hadn't arrived, and the NFC was in decline and would largely stay that way for a decade, would be interesting to see them go up against one another, but honestly I think the Bears would've obliterated that Ravens team quite easily no thanks to the Ravens pathetic offense, and I don't think people would be confusing which defense was better because the dominance, for their era's, was clear, Bears win that argument easily for me. 18-1, and other than a memorable night by Marino, most teams didn't even want to show for those games, and most QB's were terrified period of even entering the field. Watch some of those games. Even I get scared watching what happened to some of those poor unfortunate -------'s who had the misfortune to have the bears on their schedule that year. I kinda want to throw some youtube on of them, but I may need a therapist to talk me through the horror's afterwards. 

Well well, you win. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yea, you guys are right. It's all hyperbole. We actually suck. We have just been playing really bad teams that want to lose and miss the POs. We should never be able to enjoy a video that shows us doing well. Never be happy! Right?? Always want more!

Maybe for the players that's true. But we are fans! Ease up, seriously 🙂  I said it was a nice video and I enjoyed the cut ups. Is he a little over the top? Probably. But I am suppose to not enjoy it? It was a good video and fun to watch. Said nothing more or nothing less. Never even said I agree with his analysis. 

Seattle? Yes, we probably lose. Russell WIlson will not make the same mistakes these other QBs have been making. Unlike other QBs who you want to flush, they need to keep RW in the pocket. Although they did a good job of that with Ben. When he did get out is when he hurt us. When they made him a pocket passer he struggled so maybe that will be the strategy here. The good news is Seattle's defense can be scored on. They are not nearly as good as Pitts or SF. But I expect us to lose. Should be a close game but Pete Carroll always seems to find a way to beat us. 

We'll see about that last part. Seattle's o-line was exposed by the Giants, and I have to think our D-line is licking our chops thinking about that matchup. Any given Sunday with this defense!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well well, you win. 

We're you around to watch them? I need to go watch the 30 for 30 thing again on them, pretty incredible, the memories of them, I was in 5th grade, it was just so damn distinct, that season was so odd for us, especially as a redskins fan born and raised in the bay area, so I had no clue what was wrong in 1984/1985, why did Charlie Brown suddenly totally fade out after such a spectacular early run to his career? What was wrong with the rest of the team. In retrospect it's easy to see that Riggins was like 10 years past the age cliff for modern day RB's, Theismann was like in year 13 or 14, so it makes sense that they were at best .500 entering the nightmare finale to his career, but man, it was a weird year, I even remember the run to a playoff birth, and the niners squashing it around my birthday in december, it was a miserable rainy day in the bay and we went outside and played catch anyway.

Meanwhile the Bears were just flat out eviscerating everyone and everything, the loss of Buddy Ryan alongside McMahon's body not holding up ended up making great Bears teams vulnerable to us in '86 and '87 and then the Niners in '88, but their run from '84-'88 was amazing, especially when you consider how powerful the NFC was from 1981-1996. They probably would've won another super bowl if McMahon could have been more healthy, but it's a weird history. The best team in the NFL in 1987 for instance was the Niners, but they picked a bad day to do an impression of the Redskins '83 Super Bowl performance against the Raiders and imploded in the rain against the vikes as heavy favorites as Anthony Carter blew the doors off what was normally their stout D. I would love to see a real analytics and game tape breakdown of what went wrong that day for the Niners because it opened the door to in many ways, the greatest moment in Redskins history, that glorious Second Quarter of Super Bowl XXII. Without the Niners inexplicably pratfalling that day, we would have had to do a roadie to SF in the midst of a horror show run of performances against them during the 80's and '90's and would have surely lost (other than beating them 14-6 on MNF in '86, and 24-21 in that controversial '83 title game the redskins lost to the niners every single time they played them during my childhood until I had graduated from college (1981-1999).  Lots of teams have moments like that, the Broncos loss to the Jags in a massive playoff upset in '96 that changed history there (potential threepeat if they upset the packers a year early?), what was fully expected to be a super bowl rematch between the Dolphins and Bears in '85 after the shock 38-24 Marino lead upset was scuttled by the crazy Patriots Wild Card run that underlined that building theory that beating divisional foes team 3x in one season is exceptionally hard to do (though the Giants would pull it off in '86, in no small part thanks to some Gary Clark drops in multiple games, and Schreoder's worst ever redskins performance in that 24-14 regular loss). 

Edited by The Consigliere