Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Who cares what CT says, I'm hoping they use the next 3 weeks to get him ready to play after the bye.

That's 7 full games to get a feeling for Haskins ability and if he bombs worse than Case (not sure thats even possible) then you have Colt and Case to fall back on.

If he's not ready to play the last 7 games then what did we get ourselves into by drafting him?  I don't think I've seen a QB so coddled in my life, Favre was still balling which kept Rodgers on the bench and Smith had his team in 1st place at KC, I don't know of any precedent where a rookie 1st rd QB sits all year on a team who has 1 win?  WTF!

I've asked this question several times and nobody really has a great answer, but I'd love to know EXACTLY what leads the coaching staff to say he's not even close to ready.  People merely saying "he's not ready" doesnt do it for me.  That's so vague as to not have ant meaning.  

I'm at the point where "he's not ready" is an insufficient explanation. It seems like a cover for he just cant play and they cant come out and say that.  I dont have any evidence of that other than they're hellbent on keeping him off the field.  Because if he were even close, I think he'd be in there.  People with their jobs on the line want nothing to do with him.  

Having said all that, I remember Lamar Jackson was a project that wasnt ready and was never supposed to see the field as a rookie.  And I recall some pundits saying he might've been 2 years away.  They were forced to put him out there and he surprised them and made it work.  Now, he had an extraordinary skill set unique to him at this level too that they could work with.  I dont think Haskins is that unique a prospect that he does anything so well that can mask his deficiencies as a pro QB.  But on top of that, I dont think we have a coaching staff and FO that can really maximize the strengths and mitigate the deficiencies of a rookie QB while he finds his way.  Gruden and Callahan seem like stubborn guys that only know one way to do anything.  Not exactly the 2 most creative guys.

If there's a package that they devised that he can run, run that all game.  We just saw them throw it 12 times in an NFL game and probably a third of those were at it or behind the line of scrimmage.  With the game they called yesterday, "he's not ready" is no longer a valid argument.  The last 3 weeks, they've had no problem running out QBs that are incapable of playing the position. McCoy and Keenum are averaging 5.7 yards per attempt in that time.  

I really think everyone needs to calm down.

I actually think the negativity is great.  I hope everyone all doubt Haskins, because any time we ever get any hype on player, especially a QB, they end up being awful.  So I PRAY that the negativity keeps happening, because maybe itll for once be the opposite ending where we get a strong player out of it.

And heres the thing, all you folks who are sitting here cursing the team for Haskins not playing are over analyzing the entire situation.  This team, coaching staff and front office are an absolute joke.  Do you really want to throw the one hope we have in to the fire right now?  Do we know if hes any good? No, not yet. But throwing him to the wolves on a team that looks like they barely even care to play the game right now is probably the worst idea.  I DO think he should play this season, but I am certain that there is no rush for it.  What for?  Look at Case's numbers yesterday.  If Haskins woulda played and had those same #'s or even a little better numbers, you guys all would have crucified him.  Even though, a veteran QB would have put up the same!!! 

This fan base and culture is a mess, and we do need something positive to happen, but throwing our rookie in right now is not the right call.  Last couple or even 4-5  games of the season?  Sure.  But throwing him in now is just a terrible idea. 

Hang tight guys, we have nothing to look forward to right now, I get it.  But I will say this, and I was a Haskins DOUBTER at the draft, I can tell you that he is working harder then anyone in that locker room.  

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If there's a package that they devised that he can run, run that all game.  We just saw them throw it 12 times in an NFL game and probably a third of those were at it or behind the line of scrimmage.  With the game they called yesterday, "he's not ready" is no longer a valid argument.  The last 3 weeks, they've had no problem running out QBs that are incapable of playing the position. McCoy and Keenum are averaging 5.7 yards per attempt in that time.  

This is my thing. Is he not capable of receiving a snap and handing the ball off? Or not capable of running a play action pass? Or is he simply not capable of dropping back without breaking both legs? Maybe he is not capable of giving the signal to hike the ball. Anything other than that...

And if he is so far from being ready, why on earth is he the back up. That makes zero sense. Colt should be back up in that case. Keenum could have easily turned an ankle in that slop yesterday and then the QB that is light years away from being able to play would have had to play...

On 10/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, volsmet said:

Which teams are courting you?

What a silly question. Mike Renner is in the business of evaluating talent yet works for no team was all i was saying. Maybe there's a reason. Just saying. But to specifically answer your question of Which teams are courting me? All of them I just play hard to get.

They need to tuck him at night too!  Which modern QB's sit an entire year?  Mahomes could have started if he needed to.  This is not the 80's or 90's anymore.  I assume he will start after the bye.  The watching and learning is parroting BS IMO.  You need to see what you have, if his confidence breaks that easy then he shouldn't be in the league. 

There's a very distinct possibility that they could have spent 2 #1 picks in this draft and wind up with nothing to show for it. 

They got one guy who plays and sucks, and another guy who must suck so bad he cant even play over guys who are proven to suck.   lol

All the proof you need Haskins was a mistake.

Haskins' week got interesting though on Friday when he responded to reports that he's struggling with the intricacies of NFL offenses.

"That's really a joke," he said. "I pride myself on reading defenses."

If Haskins thinks he knows how to read defenses already he either isn't smart enough to know he hasn't and he thinks there isn't much else to learn which means he won't learn much else and explains why he can't pick up defenses or he can read defenses what ever that means in his mind and he isn't going to get better at that part of the game since he thinks he is already there. Yet all the coaches say he is struggling. Either way he isn't getting much better and will always be inconsistent. That's a fact just knowing what he seems to think he knows. Disagree if you want. I can read thru that like a clean window.  Bet on it. 

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There's a very distinct possibility that they could have spent 2 #1 picks in this draft and wind up with nothing to show for it. 

They got one guy who plays and sucks, and another guy who must suck so bad he cant even play over guys who are proven to suck.   lol

Excellent point. 

LOL

Go look back at old chiefs forums and newsletters.  2017 season about "Mahomes is not ready"

This is exactly the stuff Im talking about.  Fans are just in an uproar over nothing.    Just a small snippet from a 2017 article :https://kckingdom.com/2017/11/28/kansas-city-chiefs-fans-willing-lose-means-starting-patrick-mahomes/

"The Kansas City Chiefs leadership came into the 2017 season with a clear plan at the quarterback position. Alex Smith would start this year, and the Chiefs would look to transition to Patrick Mahomes in 2018. We all knew that was what the plan was, and we were all ok with it. Of course, that was before the team started losing games.  Now, despite everyone with inside knowledge of the situation telling us he isn’t ready, Chiefs fans are demanding we change the plan. Regardless of any potential setbacks in may present, the fan base is simply insistent that Patrick Mahomes must be named the starter."

This was when the Chiefs were 6-5!!!!!!  11 games in!  We are freaking out after 7 games in!  EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL.  As much as we all think we are in the right about football, theres a reason why ALL new QBs used to sit that first year.  Its because its incredibly helpful in many situations.    Not everyone is Cam newton, Andrew Luck, or RG.... uhhhh I mean Russel Wilson.   Some people succeed with time, moreso then being baptized by fire.

14 hours ago, Vanguard said:

The interceptions I get wtf can’t he hold onto the football? Granted, I don’t watch any film on him.  And I want to continue seeing him suck.

He also took about 17 sacks v the mighty mighty Cardinals. His advanced abilities may have been slightly exaggerated.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

He also took about 17 sacks v the mighty mighty Cardinals. His advanced abilities may have been slightly exaggerated.

Looks like Danny "Dimes" may be coming back to earth after an incredibly hot start over a putrid Buccaneers team and us (also putrid).  

8 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

LOL

Go look back at old chiefs forums and newsletters.  2017 season about "Mahomes is not ready"

This is exactly the stuff Im talking about.  Fans are just in an uproar over nothing.    Just a small snippet from a 2017 article :https://kckingdom.com/2017/11/28/kansas-city-chiefs-fans-willing-lose-means-starting-patrick-mahomes/

"The Kansas City Chiefs leadership came into the 2017 season with a clear plan at the quarterback position. Alex Smith would start this year, and the Chiefs would look to transition to Patrick Mahomes in 2018. We all knew that was what the plan was, and we were all ok with it. Of course, that was before the team started losing games.  Now, despite everyone with inside knowledge of the situation telling us he isn’t ready, Chiefs fans are demanding we change the plan. Regardless of any potential setbacks in may present, the fan base is simply insistent that Patrick Mahomes must be named the starter."

This was when the Chiefs were 6-5!!!!!!  11 games in!  We are freaking out after 7 games in!  EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL.  As much as we all think we are in the right about football, theres a reason why ALL new QBs used to sit that first year.  Its because its incredibly helpful in many situations.    Not everyone is Cam newton, Andrew Luck, or RG.... uhhhh I mean Russel Wilson.   Some people succeed with time, moreso then being baptized by fire.

Mahomes would have done the same thing whether he waited or not. The Chiefs had a plan and stuck to it which doesn't mean Mahomes couldn't have come in and lit up. He would have lit it up either way. He's that good.

9 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I’ve been seeing many posts since we drafted him about how much of a good guy he is and a hard worker and all these things that say he has high character.

I think Haskins has an attitude problem though. as soon as he got drafted he felt slighted because he wasn’t take earlier or perhaps taken by the giants.   That was a red flag for me.

He always seems aloof and uninterested whenever panned to on the sidelines. I just don’t think the dude has the right mindset currently, and unfortunately, these things are slow to change and often kill players careers before they can correct them.

it won’t matter as much if he comes in and lights it up, but I’m expecting a rude awakening headed his way. 

Human who interacted with Haskins daily made claims that have been relayed to the ES. 

2E6C3246-F718-427C-8541-AD3953D5FB31.gif

6 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Mahomes would have done the same thing whether he waited or not. The Chiefs had a plan and stuck to it which doesn't mean Mahomes couldn't have come in and lit up. He would have lit it up either way. He's that good.

Your missing the point here.  The fans, BEFORE he came in, said during his rookie year while he was on the bench, 11 games in, that all the coaches and "insiders" were saying he was NOT READY.  So, you can say "Mahomes would have done amazing either way"  is a hindsight statement.  Now, when you see him, your like oh wow hes MVP.  But before he ever played, coaches and fans all thought and heard he wasn't ready to play in the NFL.  Sound familiar?  Just maybe, MAYBE, Dwayne sitting and not being pushed into the dang game so fast is a great thing for him and us.  Before Mahomes was a chart topper, he was considered "not ready"

2 hours ago, Alexa said:

I just don't think Haskins is any good.  Look at all the young QB'S that are playing? Pittsburgh won on the road w/ a 3rd string guy, yet the 15th pick of the draft can't play on a sorry ass team? Something just isn't right.

Pitt obliterating SD, in SD, with their 4th string QB, tells you something about their organization. 

Washington needing Miami to blow a 2 point conversion, to get our only win of the year, with our starting QB, tells you something about our organization. 

You can rationally glean nothing about DH from it.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Who cares what CT says, I'm hoping they use the next 3 weeks to get him ready to play after the bye.

That's 7 full games to get a feeling for Haskins ability and if he bombs worse than Case (not sure thats even possible) then you have Colt and Case to fall back on.

If he's not ready to play the last 7 games then what did we get ourselves into by drafting him?  I don't think I've seen a QB so coddled in my life, Favre was still balling which kept Rodgers on the bench and Smith had his team in 1st place at KC, I don't know of any precedent where a rookie 1st rd QB sits all year on a team who has 1 win?  WTF!

To be fair, not every rookie has to compete with a Favre, Colt or Case.

1 hour ago, skins4ever28 said:

I really think everyone needs to calm down.

I actually think the negativity is great.  I hope everyone all doubt Haskins, because any time we ever get any hype on player, especially a QB, they end up being awful.  So I PRAY that the negativity keeps happening,

You advise everyone to calm down while praying for the negativity to keep happening.

30DFAAFB-73C7-45DE-BA04-0EBA5074FBB0.gif

4 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

@skins4ever28 Thank you for that read - quite telling that we as fans may not know as much as we think we do about the situation.  I'll bet all those KC fans that were freaking out now have cases of selective amnesia when it comes to their view of Mahomes in 2017.

Its amazing how people  will just jump to the worst possible scenario.  Though, granted with whats happened to our team for almost 30 years, I completely understand.   Another little snippet.  In Mahomes FIRST ever start, it was week 17 of the 2017 season where KC was resting Smith.  Mahomes went 22/35 284 yards 0 TDs and 1 INT 1 Fumble.  Not all that great right?  That was week 17 his rookie year.  IF haskins came in and did those numbers in 1 game right now in his first start the fans would go crazy because they think hes supposed to be freaking tom brady as a rookie.  Again, everyone needs to chill and be realistic. 

48 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They must be super impressed by your use of the quoting function too! 

Just now, skins4ever28 said:

Its amazing how people  will just jump to the worst possible scenario.  Though, granted with whats happened to our team for almost 30 years, I completely understand.   

A995789C-15EF-4396-A28F-C61CCE9E80BD.gif

9 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I’ve been seeing many posts since we drafted him about how much of a good guy he is and a hard worker and all these things that say he has high character.

I think Haskins has an attitude problem though. as soon as he got drafted he felt slighted because he wasn’t take earlier or perhaps taken by the giants.   That was a red flag for me.

He always seems aloof and uninterested whenever panned to on the sidelines. I just don’t think the dude has the right mindset currently, and unfortunately, these things are slow to change and often kill players careers before they can correct them.

it won’t matter as much if he comes in and lights it up, but I’m expecting a rude awakening headed his way. 

Another guy speculating about Haskins' bad attitude, I find this all so unfair, ridiculous and annoying.  No one on this board has spent any time with the young man, he hasn't made any inappropriate public comments so folks that want to break bad on him about his "attitude"  are left to pick things out of the air like your complaints.  His facial expressions while on the sideline don't meet your standard for some reason so you think he doesn't have the right mindset.  

I don't have any idea whether Haskins has a great attitude or a poor one but the impassive facial expressions he has on the sidelines are similar to the facial expression he seems to have on the field, maybe he is a low reactor who stays in a steady-state when playing football, we'll have to see.

Mind you I'm not a big Haskins booster, I would've preferred they drafted OL with the top picks, but he is our guy now and I want him to succeed and be given a supportive environment to succeed.  I think we will see him after the bye.

Callahan being adamant that they still have faith in Keenum going forward tells you all you need to know about where Haskins is at in his development.  Keim was echoing the sentiment that Russini alluded to (that caused the usual pearl clutching from national media pundits who barely follow this team).  Where there is smoke, there is fire.

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

To be fair, not every rookie has to compete with a Favre, Colt or Case.

You advise everyone to calm down while praying for the negativity to keep happening.

Me wanting negativity to keep happening was moreso of a joke how I said "that any time we start hyping up a player he ends up being terrible so maybe if were negative hell end up being great"  (not verbatim but close).  Was just sarcasm.  I don't want anyone freaking out, and I do want everyone to calm down. 

Archived