Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Marino is arguably the greatest QB ever. You are seriously comparing the dude who threw 3 picks in his first half of football to Marino who started as a rookie with a 12-4 record in an era when rookies never started? Haskins equivalent at this point is Ryan Leaf. And that’s being generous. There was legitimate debate to pick Leaf over Peyton Manning. 

I’m choosing to take this response at face value and respond accordingly. 

Marino is arguably the GOAT and Haskins is a rookie QB, so to be clear, I’m not comparing their accomplishments or career, that’d be, uhhh... dumb. 

My post was in response to a few YouTube videos I watched of Marino and how I felt there was some similarities in their throwing styles/motion and was curious to here what others thought. 

Stop with the Ryan Leaf comparison. I get the idea of attaching Haskins name with Leaf (the known biggest bust in NFL history) to drive home your awkward disdain for Haskins, but there’s a loooooong ways to go before that comparison is appropriate. 

I’ll ask you, do you think there are similarities to how Marino and Haskins throw???

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:Haskins is a bust. His attitude is garbage and if another coach is forced to make him the starter we will end up with Zorn 2.0. Let’s pretend McLaurin was the first round pick and move on. Dwayne is a complete bust. We can pretend we need more time to get to that conclusion but we don’t. It’s a sunk cost at this point. Let’s not make it worse by pretending.

Ayy man, you could be right and the guy becomes a bust, but let’s see him play some more NFL football before making declarations. Let’s give it time and remove ourself from extremes. Obviously, some dude (me) isn’t going to talk you off the ledge, in regards to Haskins, but now you can’t say someone didn’t tell you or try ;)

11 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Marino is arguably the greatest QB ever. You are seriously comparing the dude who threw 3 picks in his first half of football to Marino who started as a rookie with a 12-4 record in an era when rookies never started? Haskins equivalent at this point is Ryan Leaf. And that’s being generous. There was legitimate debate to pick Leaf over Peyton Manning. 

Haskins is a bust. His attitude is garbage and if another coach is forced to make him the starter we will end up with Zorn 2.0. Let’s pretend McLaurin was the first round pick and move on. Dwayne is a complete bust. We can pretend we need more time to get to that conclusion but we don’t. It’s a sunk cost at this point. Let’s not make it worse by pretending.

People said Marino’s attitude was garbage — & he threw more INTs than TDs in his 4th year starting in college.

You simply can’t absolutely write the kid off at this point. Hesitation? Sure. Things that don’t pass the sniff test? Yes. But we haven’t seen anywhere near enough of him and he hasn’t had enough time to declare him a bust at this point.

Or declare him a franchise QB for that matter. He’s a young guy learning how to play the position. 

Let’s see how things play out before we talk in absolutes 

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You simply can’t absolutely write the kid off at this point. Hesitation? Sure. Things that don’t pass the sniff test? Yes. But we haven’t seen anywhere near enough of him and he hasn’t had enough time to declare him a bust at this point.

Or declare him a franchise QB for that matter. He’s a young guy learning how to play the position. 

Let’s see how things play out before we talk in absolutes 

agreed. I don’t think you can speak in absolutes about many QBs, even Brady gets replaced & little is lost. So much goes into a QBs success, I trust DH will do all he’s capable of doing to give himself a chance.

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If he’s actually got the fans and the media against him already then I don’t think he has a chance to be honest. This is not an easy place to play football when EVERYTHING is against you

Some fans were against Dwayne from the very beginning.

Some for purely football reasons (no problem with them) and some for "other" reasons.

Either way, I think he'll be fine.

Just keep working hard and control what he can control.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

People said Marino’s attitude was garbage — & he threw more INTs than TDs in his 4th year starting in college.

No one said that in the NFL. He is the first rookie to ever be named starting Pro Bowl QB. Marino was special. Special shows up early. Like McLaurin. Busts need coddling and excuses.

Seen this movie too many times before. Haskins is a bust. It happens far more often than not.  It’s okay to draft busts. No team is immune. What’s not okay is refusing to accept the fact that a player is a bust, changing coaching staffs hoping to turn around the bust etc. That’s not living in reality and wasting time on a sunk cost.

For Haskins to have that garbage answer after the performance he put up against probably one of the worst defenses historically in the Giants is beyond concerning. His attitude is garbage. His participation trophy receiving attitude like he’s done something in this league is pathetic. Dude is a sure fire bust. Zero doubt.

37 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If he’s actually got the fans and the media against him already then I don’t think he has a chance to be honest. This is not an easy place to play football when EVERYTHING is against you

I've thought for a while that this a contributor to why QBs don't succeed here. The fans and media do not have the patience to see a QB develop. They want them ready made and Hall of Famers. If they are not, then move on to some other guy. This isn't THE reason QBs fail, but I've seen it far too often where the fans and media turn on a guy and the pressure in the organization builds and then they move on. I fear that too many have already made up their mind about Haskins before he even has a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I've thought for a while that this a contributor to why QBs don't succeed here. The fans and media do not have the patience to see a QB develop. They want them ready made and Hall of Famers. If they are not, then move on to some other guy. This isn't THE reason QBs fail, but I've seen it far too often where the fans and media turn on a guy and the pressure in the organization builds and then they move on. I fear that too many have already made up their mind about Haskins before he even has a chance. 

Name a QB the Redskins drafted that went elsewhere to have success??? if you can’t then that invalidates this claim.

Trent Green is probably the only one and he was not able to be signed due to Jack Kent Cooke’s death and ownership changing. Stan Humphries is the other but we went with Rypien and got a Super Bowl.  I don’t think there are others.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Name a QB the Redskins drafted that went elsewhere to have success??? if you can’t then that invalidates this claim.

Trent Green is probably the only one and he was not able to be signed due to Jack Kent Cooke’s death and ownership changing. Stan Humphries is the other but we went with Rypien and got a Super Bowl.  I don’t think there are others.

Name a QB that sucked any place and left to have success. Doesn’t happen. Your first shot is your best shot for the most part. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

You can change the minds of the fans and media quickly, but his task is not getting easier.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Name a QB that sucked any place and left to have success. Doesn’t happen. Your first shot is your best shot for the most part. 

Foles

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Steve Young  went from Tampa to the 49ers and became a hall of famer. Same with Drew Brees and the Chargers.

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Some fans were against Dwayne from the very beginning.

Some for purely football reasons (no problem with them) and some for "other" reasons.

Either way, I think he'll be fine.

Just keep working hard and control what he can control.

I was against drafting him before we picked him. I was worried about his mechanics/footwork, only having one year of experience, and playing on an absolutely stacked team. However, since they drafted him I've been supportive of being patient with him and I believe that he has the potential to become a special QB. He seems like a hard worker so his footwork and mechanics can be improved. He also has an obvious huge amount of pure talent and can make some throws that only a couple other QBs in the NFL can make. I think he says some dumb/defensive sounding stuff on occasion but I'm not going to stress on that unless it gets much worse. 

Either way, calling a guy who we KNEW was very raw, and likely not ready to start, a bust after literally 2 quarters of NFL play (when he was also thrown in mid-game with zero preparation and zero practice reps with the 1st team) is bizarre in the extreme and to me just points to someone who has made his mind up about the guy no matter what. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Not the hill you want to die on, man!

Exactly. Pretty much proves the point teams wait far too long to cut bait with their bust quarterbacks. What you don’t need is patience. What you need are eyes and an objective evaluation despite whatever cost went into acquiring the player. Patience usually only proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that player sucks.

As crazy as it may seem, it’s not too early to call Haskins a bust. History is not on his side. His attitude makes that infinitesimal small chance even slimmer. I think they should play him and be done with it and start fresh next year. Football people probably don’t need to see more but the front office morons who drafted him despite objections from the coaching staff probably do.

31 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Exactly. Pretty much proves the point teams wait far too long to cut bait with their bust quarterbacks. What you don’t need is patience. What you need are eyes and an objective evaluation despite whatever cost went into acquiring the player. Patience usually only proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that player sucks.

As crazy as it may seem, it’s not too early to call Haskins a bust. History is not on his side. His attitude makes that infinitesimal small chance even slimmer. I think they should play him and be done with it and start fresh next year. Football people probably don’t need to see more but the front office morons who drafted him despite objections from the coaching staff probably do.

The bolded portion is quite literally the opposite of reality. When dealing with a rookie QB, especially one who has tons of talent but is raw in certain areas, you absolutely have to have patience. If a coach doesn't and throws him to the wolves and expects to much of him too soon he's quite possibly dooming him from the get-go. And that's on the coach. 

As for the rest...no it doesn't seem crazy to call Haskins a bust this early. It IS crazy. As far as history not being on his side which specific history are you talking about? The history of rookie QBs with only 1 year of college starting experience in the NFL? If so, that's a really limited sample size and a mixed bag. You have a guy like Newton who ended up being a star, a guy like Sanchez who ended up being a bust, and a guy like Trubisky who the jury is still out on. 

The football morons who drafted him were not the only people who had him highly rated. He was pretty much universally rated as a 1st round QB, mostly in the top half of the 1st. I personally wasn't convinced he was worth a 1st but I seriously doubt that the Skins were the only team that had him rated pretty high.

One area where I think we might agree is that if the coaching staff (or at least one of them...Gruden) didn't really want to pick Haskins but it was pushed by the rest of the FO then THAT is a huge problem. Not necessarily because it means Haskins was a bad prospect and didn't have the ability to succeed, but because then you'll have a situation (like I think we possibly had) where the HC really wasn't all that invested in trying to work with his rookie QB and help him progress as much as possible, and that greatly affects the rookie's development. This is even MORE true when you have a lame duck HC in Gruden who had to win now to keep his job and a rookie QB who is as talented, but also as raw, as Haskins. 

I really think we need to see where it goes from here and see how things shake out with the coaching staff before we can even begin to make accurate judgements about how ready DH is and how he is progressing. 

Where is goes from here is that Dan and Bruce double down on Haskins. Hire a scrub coach on the Jim Zorn level that will agree to the job with him as Qb. We waste another 3 years and rinse and repeat.

They should backup the brinks truck to Urban Myers front door and let him take a shot. No one else of any significant caliber will. 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Where is goes from here is that Dan and Bruce double down on Haskins. Hire a scrub coach on the Jim Zorn level that will agree to the job with him as Qb. We waste another 3 years and rinse and repeat.

They should backup the brinks truck to Urban Myers front door and let him take a shot. No one else of any significant caliber will. 

What are your sources telling you about Urbans interest?

I never thought I’d become *one of the ES’s Haskins bulls. 

#Team @stevemcqueen1

6D6E225F-86A9-4EAE-8B4A-9ABA6EF8A605.gif

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

What are your sources telling you about Urbans interest?

Urban said last week on the radio that he would take the Cowboys job. Snyder knows how to sell. Seems like the best scenario In a crappy situation to me. If for some miracle Alex Smith takes a shot at a comeback, Urban would have 2 former quarterbacks on the roster. 

32 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Urban said last week on the radio that he would take the Cowboys job. Snyder knows how to sell. Seems like the best scenario In a crappy situation to me. If for some miracle Alex Smith takes a shot at a comeback, Urban would have 2 former quarterbacks on the roster. 

I, too, would like to see Urban here. While I tend to believe nothing is impossible (when money enters the equation) ... that would be ... a lot of money. Dan would probably need to start negotiations by handing over his super yacht ...just to get UM into the building for an interview.

57543EE3-11FB-42FD-A026-5F85A541D4CA.gif

Archived