Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Gruden is dancing on the Redskins grave.

I said last Sunday McCoy will start if he can even remotely walk onto the field.

Gruden, dead man walking, he doesn't give a ****. To be fair, nor do I.

He needs to go. We need bigger change that may or may not come.

As for Haskins, good luck to him. His career could go anywhere from zero to hero. I said earlier, he could be another Rosen if we flunk out in a major way this year. It's already looking likely.

Colt will start, take 99.999999999999999999999999% of the practice reps for the game... and be injured halfway through the first quarter.

Haskins will go in again unprepared and Norval Gruden will again not tailor the playcalling accordingly.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

D Hall breaking down those Int's from last week, he thinks Haskins should start.

And then there's this.

Pretty sure he said he'd make a decision Thursday so yeah, he is still evaluating and nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Whether I agree with him or not, his response to, "Who is your starting quarterback?" being "We don't have one" was almost as good as "How do you feel about your team's execution?" "I'm for it". :ols:

Or was the question, "What's your QB plan?"

If it was the latter its still good, but not AS good.

Hoffman among others keep insisting it will be Colt for sure but they want to keep the Pats guessing and make sure Colt is healthy for sure.  i like Jay better than most on this thread.  But I never understood his fascination for Colt.   I don't think it matters if the Pats wait to 5 minutes before the game to prep for Colt -- he's not hard to stop.  😀  Having said that I do think he might be the best QB on the roster at least in terms of right now.  I've never been a Colt guy to say the least but from the camp practices I watched he was better than Haskins and Case.    And I said so at the time.   No slam on Haskins there -- he is a rookie and needs time.    But Colt to me looked sharper than Case.   

I think his fascination is that Colt knows the offense really well so open ups a lot of options for him since he doesn't have to worry about does this player know the play, etc.  I truly believe that Gruden thinks he'd be successful if Colt could stay healthy and he could open up his offense.  But as we've seen, he can't stay healthy and who knows how he'd perform with extended time in the offense since he has his limitations.

1 hour ago, owa said:

I think his fascination is that Colt knows the offense really well so open ups a lot of options for him since he doesn't have to worry about does this player know the play, etc.  I truly believe that Gruden thinks he'd be successful if Colt could stay healthy and he could open up his offense.  But as we've seen, he can't stay healthy and who knows how he'd perform with extended time in the offense since he has his limitations.

Absolutely, Gruden wants:

yale+high+low.gif

Not:

source.gif

Just now, MartinC said:

Me.

Although 'expert' might be stretching things here ...

As an onlooker who is moved not by stats nor fanfare, do you find anything of note to take from Dwayne’s first live action?

B3BFAECA-7ACE-41E2-920A-C13690073817.gif

33 minutes ago, volsmet said:

As an onlooker who is moved not by stats nor fanfare, do you find anything of note to take from Dwayne’s first live action?

Just that he is raw. Which we knew.

He was holding the ball and finding it hard to get to his second read and checkdowns. He missed some throws and missed some guys who were open and did not get the ball out. He moved well in the pocket though and was more 'athletic' than given credit for. 

But he was put into a position where he was not set up for success. Brought into his first game, starting down two scores, without the benefit of taking all the snaps during the week and without a specific game plan based around him. I really don't take much away from it.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I thought the play calls Haskins in his first game, did not look simplified in the least. It looked exactly like Case's plays..... does that seem an accurate statement?  Or did Jay clearly dial things back and call simple safe plays for him.

Guys were open. He held on to the ball forever at times and wasn't helped out by his teammates at times. He should definitely start at least the back half of the season. The idea of keeping him on the bench for the whole year, barring the Skins being a playoff team, was always unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Just that he is raw. Which we knew.

He was holding the ball and finding it hard to get to his second read and checkdowns. He missed some throws and missed some guys who were open and did not get the ball out. He moved well in the pocket though and was more 'athletic' than given credit for. 

But he was put into a position where he was not set up for success. Brought into his first game, starting down two scores, without the benefit of taking all the snaps during the week and without a specific game plan based around him. I really don't take much away from it.

Agreed on all counts; looked like, a time or two, he was rejecting the simple passes, fired up playing back in NY - perhaps just a young guy wanting to make the splash plays and a bit overwhelmed by the moment. It won’t be long before he takes the immediate dump off for a 1 on 1 with his Davis (I believe it was Vernon) rather than waiting on a bit more in the route from Sprinkle that was picked. 

He seemed to predetermine the throw to Richardson, which was a route run far too near the sideline, just inexcusable on his *(Richardson’s) end, but I believe Quinn was over the top for a TD on the exact same route DH hit Robert Davis on v Cinci. 

He has struggled some throwing the shallow out, he missed Vernon for a TD in the exact same spot he missed a TD v Atlanta, those are things he can fix, the ball getting out on time, with limited prep, on the goal line, was good to see.

Actually I like Jay's comment there.  I get Jay is enemy #1 to many but I think the idea is silly that he's purposely trying to sabotage the dude.    Jay's only long shot way to save his job is for Haskins to look good.  

I just caught this Belichick comment -- is that him taking a shot at Case?  If so funny.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/02/redskins-havent-decided-starting-qb-frustration-is-starting-build/

Despite the uphill climb the Redskins’ offense seemingly faces, Patriots Coach Bill Belichick offered praise for Gruden’s scheme and the team’s skill-position players during Monday’s teleconference...

“It’s up to the quarterback to make those decisions and get the ball to those open players and let them advance with their run-after-catch skills,” Belichick said.

33 minutes ago, volsmet said:

but I believe Quinn was over the top for a TD on the exact same route DH hit Robert Davis on v Cinci. 

We missed Quinn THREE times deep for TD's (or at a minimum BIG chunk plays) in this one game. Twice Keenum and once Haskins.

46 minutes ago, volsmet said:

There is a distinction between excuses and reasons, the reason Colt bombs will be NE. 

Well I guess I didn’t realize that. One of these days I will debate on Justin Wilcox. I do agree he was a genius for bailing on a dumpster fire program to go to the University of Washington. However he is not a fit for the Skins.

With that let’s just enjoy some good ol Jay and Colt.  

GIF image.gif

5 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

Well I guess I didn’t realize that. One of these days I will debate on Justin Wilcox. I do agree he was a genius for bailing on a dumpster fire program to go to the University of Washington. However he is not a fit for the Skins.

C14B123A-474A-46D7-8488-2CA2B9902EE2.gif

The Belichick comment compelled me to start rewatching the game.  And yeah both Keenum and Haskins (Haskins I get, he's a rookie) had plenty of opportunities to make plays. Maybe not big plays each time but there were check down opportunities, next read, etc.  I counted to at least 3 seconds on those plays -- those plays ended up in either sacks or incompletes.

I think @volsmet already posted some clips so sorry for any redundancies.  My point is when Haskins takes the field again, the experience of this game likely helps him.  I don't agree with those that think it was a disaster that he played.  And this is coming from someone who didn't want to see him this early.     I think he has a strong psyche.  He will be fine I think on that front. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.21.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.18.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.24.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.26.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.27.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.28.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 7.29.01 PM.png

Archived