TK

Yahoo Sports.com: Jay Gruden opens up about getting fired by Washington: 'I'm not bitter'

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

 

His overall performance here as a head coach had mixed results but there were many seasons where he was left with inferior talent and he had to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

 

He was asked to do the same this year on offense.  Love Scary Terry, but that's simply not enough. 

 

I'm not excusing Jay on everything, because like I've said several times, if he's always had a blank check and full autonomy to hire a DC - that's on him and most likely, will be what keeps him up at night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Didn't know Vinny had a career when he showed up at Redskins Park!  I guess you learn something every day...  Thought he was a bum, living in a van down by the river...  

 

And his neighbor just happened to be Booze Allen.

 

Now we know where Danny Boy finds his team presidents.

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Um cousins played well in his offense 30 plus tds a season almost 5k passing yards a d hes a nope??

Undoubtedly, he was the closest thing we had here to a winning QB but he didn't get it done here so, now he's with a far better team with a very solid supporting cast and what's happening? Already questions about the Vikings having made a mistake in committing to him and if Cousins has the ability to win a big game.  Same questions the Skins had.  His career's not over and he might make some history but seems like long odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FuriousD said:

Undoubtedly, he was the closest thing we had here to a winning QB but he didn't get it done here so, now he's with a far better team with a very solid supporting cast and what's happening? Already questions about the Vikings having made a mistake in committing to him and if Cousins has the ability to win a big game.  Same questions the Skins had.  His career's not over and he might make some history but seems like long odds.

However, before Jay got here he was seen as a complete terd that would be at best taking up the 3rd spot on a teams QB depth chart.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gruden will get a job as an OC somewhere.  His passing schemes were good.  I'm actually amazed that Spurrier, Zorn, and Shanahan all have the same winning percentage as head coach of this team.  And Jay Gruden and Gibbs aren't too far apart from win percentage either.  I'm just spitballing here...but maybe it isn't the head coach that's the problem.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would he be bitter? He should be fired. He's still getting paid and he gets to leave this trainwreck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Gruden will get a job as an OC somewhere.  His passing schemes were good.  I'm actually amazed that Spurrier, Zorn, and Shanahan all have the same winning percentage as head coach of this team.  And Jay Gruden and Gibbs aren't too far apart from win percentage either.  I'm just spitballing here...but maybe it isn't the head coach that's the problem.

 Danny boy has been the only consistent factor through all those coaches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting quotes from McVay in the ESPN article.

 

Meanwhile, Rams head coach Sean McVay, a former Redskins offensive coordinator under Gruden, said he exchanged texts with Gruden on Monday and called it a "tough situation" for a close friend. McVay worked with Gruden for the Florida Tuskers of the UFL in 2009 and with the Redskins from 2014 to '16.

 

"When I was his coordinator, in a lot of ways, he kind of groomed me and brought me along to where you kind of learn some of the things about how you're setting up a game plan," McVay said. "He protected me from a lot of the things."

 

When asked whether he'd consider adding Gruden to his staff, McVay said, "He'll have a lot of options. Those are things that I think we'll, I'm sure, discuss at some point, but right now it's more about just reaching out to a buddy and seeing how he's doing."

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Why would he be bitter? He should be fired. He's still getting paid and he gets to leave this trainwreck.

Word... I'm glad the national media is finally holding Snyder/Allen's feet to the coals, but Jay earned his termination and I hope that doesn't get lost in the static.

Dude never seemed like a motivator, team consistently came out flat footed, could not perform under the prime time lights, and refused to make halftime adjustments on principle.

Would I knock beer back with the guy?... Sure but he needed to be let go. Doesn't mean we're getting anyone better though.

 

That reminds me: Why the heck does Mike Tomlin's name keep coming up here? Last I checked he's still coaching for a team who hasn't fired any coach since the merger. Like they'll fire him for having a similar QB Injury run like ours last year. Not sure I'd want him anyway.

Edited by hawgboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very classy by Jay. He's taking the high road. 

 

He deserves better and will get a good OC job on a pro team

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FuriousD said:

Undoubtedly, he was the closest thing we had here to a winning QB but he didn't get it done here so, now he's with a far better team with a very solid supporting cast and what's happening? Already questions about the Vikings having made a mistake in committing to him and if Cousins has the ability to win a big game.  Same questions the Skins had.  His career's not over and he might make some history but seems like long odds.

Cousins at 33 million a year or whatever it was is probably a mistake and has nothing to do with this franchise, we could have had cousins st 16-20 million a year which is very reasonable for a qb who can play the position fit the system well and could have built a potent offense around, but what did management do? Scapegoat him outta town and so did a lot of fans of the team which is fine they wouldnt know what decent qb play is or costs since we havent had that in 20 years. My point is kirk cousins whether any of you want to believe it or not is better than all four of the qbs associated with this team right now hands down and thats 100 percent on bozo allen

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Some interesting quotes from McVay in the ESPN article.

 

Meanwhile, Rams head coach Sean McVay, a former Redskins offensive coordinator under Gruden, said he exchanged texts with Gruden on Monday and called it a "tough situation" for a close friend. McVay worked with Gruden for the Florida Tuskers of the UFL in 2009 and with the Redskins from 2014 to '16.

 

"When I was his coordinator, in a lot of ways, he kind of groomed me and brought me along to where you kind of learn some of the things about how you're setting up a game plan," McVay said. "He protected me from a lot of the things."

 

When asked whether he'd consider adding Gruden to his staff, McVay said, "He'll have a lot of options. Those are things that I think we'll, I'm sure, discuss at some point, but right now it's more about just reaching out to a buddy and seeing how he's doing."

 

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

“He protected me from a lot of the things” - McVay

 

That stuck out to me as well.

 

Dont worry, this isn't over. People are digging. Someone will talk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

 

 

 

I was watching the Coach's Show this weekend, and they cut to break while showing friggin' Rob Ryan's fat ass trying to coach linebackers. It was a pathetic sight. I turned from the TV with a tear in my eye like the Native American litter picker-upper guy in the old commercial. 

 

14 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

 

 He's actually a crying Italian...😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Cousins at 33 million a year or whatever it was is probably a mistake and has nothing to do with this franchise, we could have had cousins st 16-20 million a year which is very reasonable for a qb who can play the position fit the system well and could have built a potent offense around, but what did management do? Scapegoat him outta town and so did a lot of fans of the team which is fine they wouldnt know what decent qb play is or costs since we havent had that in 20 years. My point is kirk cousins whether any of you want to believe it or not is better than all four of the qbs associated with this team right now hands down and thats 100 percent on bozo allen


It’s been reported by a Skins insider that Snyder didn’t want to extend Cousins in 2016, because he was Shanahan’s guy.
 

Bruce took the arrows for Snyder (as usual).  Bruce wants everyone to blame him, because it allows him to keep his job.

 

Snyder only listens to the football people when he wants to. That’s the core problem with the Washington Redskins. 

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andre The Giant said:


It’s been reported by a Skins insider that Snyder didn’t want to extend Cousins in 2016, because he was Shanahan’s guy.
 

Bruce took the arrows for Snyder (as unusual).  Bruce wants everyone to blame him, because it allows him to keep his job.

 

Snyder only listens to the football people when he wants to. That’s the core problem with the Washington Redskins. 

 

As stupid as this sounds it is plausible.  It turned out to be cutting off his nose to spite his face move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's to be bitter about, he's still gonna get paid and not have to deal with Bruce and Dan anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

 

As stupid as this sounds it is plausible.  It turned out to be cutting off his nose to spite his face move.


A Snyder specialty (see Trent Williams - 2019)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

They were not a good team last year. Smith was not a good QB. That was a smoke and mirrors show that was inevitably going to collapse, broken leg to a bad QB or not 

 

I think they coulda gone 3-3 in the final 6 had Smith been there.  Let's just keep the Jags win, I think there coulda been 2 wins the rest of the way.  Colt turned it over 4 times against the Cowboys, which Smith wouldnt have done.  Maybe the Titans game coulda been had too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Some interesting quotes from McVay in the ESPN article.

 

Meanwhile, Rams head coach Sean McVay, a former Redskins offensive coordinator under Gruden, said he exchanged texts with Gruden on Monday and called it a "tough situation" for a close friend. McVay worked with Gruden for the Florida Tuskers of the UFL in 2009 and with the Redskins from 2014 to '16.

 

"When I was his coordinator, in a lot of ways, he kind of groomed me and brought me along to where you kind of learn some of the things about how you're setting up a game plan," McVay said. "He protected me from a lot of the things."

 

When asked whether he'd consider adding Gruden to his staff, McVay said, "He'll have a lot of options. Those are things that I think we'll, I'm sure, discuss at some point, but right now it's more about just reaching out to a buddy and seeing how he's doing."

 

A) Its good that he has friends who are looking out for him as this can be a stressful time for him and its good to have support setup. 

B. McVay shows that some success can come out of Bruce & Jay's network. I had forgotten about the Florida Tuskers connection. Maybe we can find another gem somewhere in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

B. McVay shows that some success can come out of Bruce & Jay's network. .

 

Somewhere else.

 

You forget the most important part.

 

Just like Kyle in SF, undefeated. Schneider in Seattle 1-1 in the SB, first guy Snyder wanted gone from the Marty regime.

 

Oh and the new GB coach and his LB from Washington.

 

Even Norv Turner had more success elsewhere after being banished from the recently constructed dumpster fire.

 

Always somewhere else.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

 

Somewhere else.

 

You forget the most important part.

 

Just like Kyle in SF, undefeated. Schneider in Seattle 1-1 in the SB, first guy Snyder wanted gone from the Marty regime.

 

Oh and the new GB coach and his LB from Washington.

 

Even Norv Turner had more success elsewhere after being banished from the recently constructed dumpster fire.

 

Always somewhere else.

 

 

 

Good points, but I was focusing on our input scheme, which seems to be old Redskins players and Bruce connections. The guys you mention for the most part are Shanahan connections. I thought McVay was too (he was on Shanny's staff), but like Haslett he was also a Florida whatever in whatever that league was. Unlike Haslett he seems to actually be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a closeup of Snyder and Allen in the owner's box (should be dubbed the "owner's ****-box") when Baby Shanahan comes in here next week and utterly eviscerates the team and Manusky's pathetic caveman defense while a stadium full of Niners fans watches and cheers. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.