Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You're Hired by Dan Snyder to Consult on what to do now - a Hypothetical Fixing the Skins Thread

@DCGoldPants

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

For Tony Dungy? :ols:

why?

Dungy seems to me like the anti-Bruce. Universally considered as a man of integrity. The opposite of Bruce must be good.

But I'd REALLY like someone from outside football: Theo Epstein, Gregg Popovich, Elon Musk. Obviously none of those people are going to be our next team president but I use them as examples to illustrate what I'm getting at. A successful leaders in their respective field, who might be looking for a new challenge, and who might bring a unique perspective to building a winner.

40 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Dungy seems to me like the anti-Bruce. Universally considered as a man of integrity. The opposite of Bruce must be good.

But I'd REALLY like someone from outside football: Theo Epstein, Gregg Popovich, Elon Musk. Obviously none of those people are going to be our next team president but I use them as examples to illustrate what I'm getting at. A successful leaders in their respective field, who might be looking for a new challenge, and who might bring a unique perspective to building a winner.

He disowned his gay son and he killed himself, so religious sure. Integrity? He also doesn't win.

57 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

But I'd REALLY like someone from outside football: Theo Epstein, Gregg Popovich, Elon Musk. Obviously none of those people are going to be our next team president but I use them as examples to illustrate what I'm getting at. A successful leaders in their respective field

Lol man, Elon Musk? That dude would be another arrogant know it all just like the one who has failed repeatedly for 20 years yet still believes that he has the right plan.

18 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Lol man, Elon Musk? That dude would be another arrogant know it all just like the one who has failed repeatedly for 20 years yet still believes that he has the right plan.

Ok, I don't mean him literally. Just the idea of someone like that.

He did completely change the auto industry and is pioneering space travel so I wouldn't put him in the same category as Dan.

1. Tell Dan he needs to let me hire a new President (let me clarify - I would not actually do the search and make the decision - I would hve someone who knows what they are doing - Bill Pollian comes to mind) and then let that person have full autonomy. Keep the staff, fire the staff, keep some fire some. Do what he wants with the FO etc. All Dan gets to do for 5 yrs is sign checks. After that if it fails he can go back to doing it his way. 

2. Do whatever it takes to get a new stadium downtown DC including paying for it himself and yes if that means changing the name then so be it. In the end it's just a name.  While it might alienate some fans in the short term, long term it would provide huge dividends if the team has any success at all. Even just the same 7-9 to 9-7 seasons we have been having. Not trying to start a name conversation. Just in the context of this discussion. Be glad to talk name change in that thread. 

3. Hire the best media/marketing firm you can find to rebuild the team image and reputation with fans, local media and beyond. They need to be more transparent and they need to stop being so antagonistic. Not to mention more honest. 

I am adding a 4th: Dan needs to reach out and talk to the fans through a few news conferences each year. Maybe one just before the season and one just after. Nothing scripted outside a few opening remarks. Kind of like a town hall of sorts. Show people he really is just another fan like us. He just happens to be the owner. 

1. Fire Bruce Allen.

2. Re-assess all of your current business an reporting processes. This seems like such a mess. Who is responsible for what? I don't know anymore. There needs to be clear cut responsibilities, otherwise you'll never be able to establish a culture of accountability. So I would start to assess every single one of the processes and try to clean up that mess.

3. I'd run a benchmarking study on every significant aspect of a football organization (off-field). I guess the outcome would be brutal but there needs to be a clear visibilty of where this team is standing relatively to the rest of the league. Assess your training and medical facilities, your current infrastructure (offices, accessibility, etc.), your brand performance, working culture, etc.

This would be an extremely compley and expensive consulting project, but it feels like something like this is long overdue. The biggest problem within this franchise from my point of view is the culture. And you normally don't change the culture by just exchanging 1 or 2 people in charge unless you get lucky enough to find that 1 coach or executive who has it all. But you're then not setup for success as an organziation and that should be the goal.

I remember watching a video about the nutrition facilities at Liverpool. Since Klopp became their coach they have changed so much in that regard. Everything is founded in the latest scientific findings. They constantly have mandatory events for the players where they learn how to cook and which ingredients are necessary for a healthy nutrition. They also invite the player's wives and family for those events. They re-did all of the eating spaces to have a bright and positive atmosphere, no VIPs and press are allowed there. Klopp also requires every player to know every person that works there by name. He wants to instill an understanding, that this club is family and that the players don't play for themselves but that everyone in that building is equally important. It almost seems ridiculous how much focus they put on little details. But look where this club was a couple of years back and where they are now. You need this mindset. And you need to see where the Redskins are in that regard relatively to the league.

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

1. Tell Dan he needs to let me hire a new President (let me clarify - I would not actually do the search and make the decision - I would hve someone who knows what they are doing - Bill Pollian comes to mind) and then let that person have full autonomy. Keep the staff, fire the staff, keep some fire some. Do what he wants with the FO etc. All Dan gets to do for 5 yrs is sign checks. After that if it fails he can go back to doing it his way. 

Funny, this has been my plan. Hire Polian to assemble a committee to find and hire the best guy for pres. They decide, you pay 'em whatever (without ****in), that guy has complete control and autonomy with one task- make this team a winner. HE decides on a head coach, etc., etc., Snyder flies off to live on a beach in Bali, I come back home cuz I dont know jack**** about running an NFL franchise...........

You're doing great not going after expensive free agents, sticking with a GM-coach combo and staying out of running the team. We're stuck until Alex Smith's guaranteed payments are over with. Don't worry about media image -- doubt it can get any worse than it already is.

1) Tank this season. Get top 2 draft slot in 2020. Trade down to get multiple picks.  We still haven't recovered from picks lost in RG3 trade.

2) Invest in analytics. Catch up with Philly, and Chiefs in using analytics to make better picks, player development and free agent decisions.

3) Make sure the coach and GM (existing or new) are expert getting the most out of each player's strength, at in-game adjustments, and clock mgmt.  Nevermind if they are good in front of a camera, or liked by players, or have had a lot of prior success.

Late to this thread... this is my first time in the Stadium in years.  I'm here because the state of the team is such that I was thinking about things from a 30,000 ft level.  This thread fits that bill.

A brief, but related, departure.  In the summer of 2012, I choose to start following the Premier League... English soccer for the uninitiated.  Looking for a team, I wanted something similar to the Redskins:  historically great, recently struggling, passionate fanbase, blue collar.   With some research, Liverpool fit that bill.  The winningest side, pre-Premier League era (read: TV money... similar to pre-free agency and the Skins), they hadn't won the league since 89-90 and had failed to reach top 4 in 3-4 years.  They had just hired Brendan Rodgers, an affable and technical coach that was in over his head at the helm of such a global club with big aspirations.  He was popular with the players, and almost caught lightning in a bottle in one crazy season that had them fall short of winning the league in the last games.  He lasted another season and was then fired midway through the 2015 season. 

Meanwhile, the ownership group, the same that own the Boston Red Sox, were making structural changes to their organizational operations.  Two key factors:  1) creating a clear operational structure that focuses on collaboration and 2) using a Moneyball/statistical approach to bringing in players.  With the more recent run of bad form, Liverpool did not have the money to compete with the new big boys of the Premier League... they had to be smarter and more efficient in who they brought in.  While there were years of tinkering to get the system "right," they finally landed in a sweet spot.  They use a team of PhD's to analyze factors that make players fit into the system preferred by the coach, they use traditional "eyeball" information/metrics to support their statistical findings, they have a backroom that is in sync with what is best for the team, and they are unwilling to "make a splash" for the sake of making a splash.  If a target is not available or too expensive for their valuations, they move on or wait until the timing is right.

When Brandon Rodgers was fired, there was only one coach that captured the imagination of the club and it's fans... Jurgen Klopp.  A player's coach with exceedingly high standards of character, discipline, and fitness, he struggled with the initial group of players brought in under Rodgers.  The team finished 8th... middle of the road.  The next two seasons... 4th.  Better, not where Liverpool should be, but moving in the right direction with positive signs.   Finally, 2.6 seasons after his hire, LIverpool fell just one point short of winning the league to a team that was historic in their own winning that season.  Liverpool would have won any other Premier League season except two based on their point total.  To salve any sting from coming so close, they did win the Champions League... the penultimate competition of soccer.

What does that mean for the Redskins and how I would change things?

1. I would separate business and team operations.  Fire Bruce Allen, who has mucked up both sides of the house, and hire intelligent, outside-the-box thinkers to be COO and GM.

2.  Allow the GM to complete a comprehensive search for a new visionary head coach.  This may be a two step process that requires an initial coach to bring the Redskins from laughing stock to average/respectable followed by a new coach to inspire the leap from good to great/generational. 

3.  Invest in back office support for the team.  There's no salary cap here, so blow it out.  Get a room full of quants that are measuring everything possible to find inefficiencies in the system so that the Redskins can find gems in free agency and the draft.  These gems will not be gems for every team, but they fit what the Redskins' coaches need for their system.  Invest in the best training staff (ugh, too many injuries over the last years), chefs, therapists, strength coaches, etc that money can buy.  Invest in the best practice facilities, the highest quality recovery facilities, and the most state-of-the-art preparation practices imaginable.  Make Redskins Park the most cutting edge football facility in the world, and hire a team of people to constantly be pushing the envelope with new ideas.

4.  Create a culture of collaboration, support, and trust.  This ain't 1980's Wallstreet where you pit your best employees against each other to bring out the best in them.  Unite the moving pieces so that they are moving in unison towards a beautiful common goal.  Getting everyone on the same page and supporting each other as you grow into the dynamic force you want to be is maybe the hardest step.   You have to have a team of highly motivated, goal-driven, exacting, egoless leaders that get along and have a similar vision, such that they can compromise and move forward under the uniting direction of the TEAM.

5.  Have patience.  Let the stew simmer and embrace the complexities.  At the same time, don't be afraid to make necessary changes when you have to or the opportunity arises to switch to a generational coach. 

Archived