Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats going to happen when Alex Smith is healthy next year

REDSKIN JR

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

At any rate, there has been a ton of speculation from various people in the medical field that Alex may not ever be able to play again. 

At this point, I can't imagine anyone other than Smith's ego that actually wants to see him back. 

And it would negate the prospective cap relief the Redskins would receive from an insurance payout.  

I look forward to the many debates during portions of the boring off-season while he attempts a comeback. It will be easy for me to root for the guy, no matter what happens, but obviously it would seem to be Haskins year next year. 

With that said, is it possible the Alex Smith and Haskins duo plays a factor in getting Urban Meyer??? Hmmm... 

26 minutes ago, megared said:

At this point, I can't imagine anyone other than Smith's ego that actually wants to see him back. 

Dan and Alex appear to be buds. Based on that he'll likely tie up 10-15% of the cap for as long as he tells Dan that "he's close".

I can't remember if it was on Sheehan or Czaban's show but they were talking about how this could be a real possibility for next year.  That's he could be here mentoring Haskins or as the starter.  They mentioned he's throwing the ball a lot better than most would assume and he has 10 more months to heal.

It sounds crazy but you never know with this team.

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I can't remember if it was on Sheehan or Czaban's show but they were talking about how this could be a real possibility for next year.  That's he could be here mentoring Haskins or is the starter.  They mentioned he's throwing the ball a lot better than most would assume and he has 10 more months to heal.

It sounds crazy but you never know with this team.

If Alex Smith is brought back to be starter. It literally will be a step back for this team. Alex Smith wasn't that impressive when he did play last year. He seems like a great guy and mentor, but I do not want him back as a starting QB. 

4 hours ago, dicksogj said:

I respect Smith's toughness and attitude.  However who cares if he wants to play again?  The bottom line is that he is in no position to help this team for next season & beyond.  By next season he will 36 yrs old, coming off major injures & will not have played for almost 2 years.  Also - at best he is a game manager who can complement a team but will not be the primary reason for a team's success.

The Redskins need to build for the future, and a QB in Smith's situation is not what they need at this time.  I say cut your losses & get rid of him one or another - he should not be on the field for the Skins any longer regardless of his health.  They will have lots of extra cap room next season so I am sure that they can figure it out. Good luck Alex - just not as an actual player for the Skins moving forward.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it would be good to bring him back as a starter.  If it makes sense to cut him this offseason, the team should do that.  But I think it would be a good thing to bring him back as a backup, at a renegotiated rate, if he (and competent medical professionals) can demonstrate that's he's at or near full strength.

Alex has had 17 surgeries on that leg, not the reported 6.  There is no way he plays again. What is holding it together? Rods? Stuffing?  I mean is it even worth it?  He is lucky he did not lose that leg.  He is walking.  He has a young family and he is set for life financially.  I think he would be a decent coach.

Isn't he earning his salary every week by the way having to sit in the owner's box with Clown Snyder listening to him moan about his bad luck OR worse having to listen to him play GM sharing his football insights?  

A big IF here.  Cheapest option would be as a backup. Next best would be any plan to cut him. If he starts, that would indicate that Haskins is either a bust or the rot is still there.  I'd probably go for the rot still being present unless Snyder sells the team or at least fires Bruce.

I hope you guys do realize this thread was created by Bruce. 

There is no more posts after the initial post. 

Doesn't know how to spell opinions. The same way he can't pronounce Kirk and says Kurt instead. 

Hey Bruce you won't be here next year so why do you even give a ****! :rofl89:

8 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

If Alex Smith is brought back to be starter. It literally will be a step back for this team. Alex Smith wasn't that impressive when he did play last year. He seems like a great guy and mentor, but I do not want him back as a starting QB. 

What, exactly, defines an impressive QB for you?

On 9/18/2019 at 10:46 AM, JSSkinz said:

Being that Colt and Case are gone after this year we will need a veteran backup.

Alex would be perfect for that role.

I wouldn't say "perfect", even if his mind and personality lend themselves to the role...his contract keeps it from being "perfect". I get that you aren't necessarily including the context of his contract in what you're saying here, which is fair...but I wanted to use it as a jumping-off point for this post lol, forgive me.

"Perfect" to me would be that he gets healthy enough to have a really heart-warming, near-miraculous comeback story and looks really good in training camp and preseason to the point where we can trade him to some franchise that feels they have a good defense and running game but missed out on a top QB in the upcoming draft, and has the cap space to take on a smart vet like Alex to win now. Think Teddy Bridgewater's story but with a big contract, I guess. He'll have people rooting for him while we have a new HC working with Haskins, who will hopefully be the obvious future by then. Sam Bradford has proven that teams will get over a big contract if it means they get league-average or better QB production when they otherwise weren't expecting it. Especially since we'll probably have to eat some of the guaranteed cash in it to deal him.

Right now the Titans would be my target franchise. 

If he can play better than any other QB on the roster then play him is the obvious answer.   I don't know what to expect but as I said many months ago don't count the guy out yet.  Guys that make it as far as Smith are very determined people who should never be discounted.  Maybe his leg will heal well enough for him to play and he will want to finish his career on his terms.  If I was him I'd retire and maybe you would also, but Smith may want to play another season or more.  I hope he is able.

9 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Is alex not allowed to play this year?..is he on ir

He's on the PUP list I believe which gives the Skins a 3 week window after the 6th game to activate him.  Else he moves to IR.  At least i think that's how it works.  Last I saw he's still walking with a limp so it's doubtful he's coming back in the next 3 weeks.  

5 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Well

10 Tds

5 INTs 

Over 9 games isn't impressive to me. I'm sure you'll say well we were 6-3. Which is the same thing Bruce would say. We weren't 6-3, because of Alex Smith. 

Are you sure about that?

We weren’t 6-3 because of Alex Smith alone, that’s an absolute truth. But his ability to protect the ball, coupled by the way the wind seemed to be drained out of the team the moment he got hurt, all the way to the way the season ended all scream that Smith was a bigger factor than most here would care to admit.

If you want to argue he’s not worth the money we gave him, I’m willing to listen. If you want to argue that we gave up too much for him, I’m all ears. 

Saying things like “it’s something Bruce would say and Alex wasn’t part of the reason” is a bit asinine.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Are you sure about that?

We weren’t 6-3 because of Alex Smith alone, that’s an absolute truth. But his ability to protect the ball, coupled by the way the wind seemed to be drained out of the team the moment he got hurt, all the way to the way the season ended all scream that Smith was a bigger factor than most here would care to admit.

If you want to argue he’s not worth the money we gave him, I’m willing to listen. If you want to argue that we gave up too much for him, I’m all ears. 

Saying things like “it’s something Bruce would say and Alex wasn’t part of the reason” is a bit asinine.

Lol he had 5 INTs and 6 fumbles in 9 games. He's lucky he only lost one of those fumbles. 

It's also hard to throw INTs when you don't throw the ball more than 5 yds down the field. Alex Smith is not the answer and it's sad that some people believe he is. 

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

Lol he had 5 INTs and 6 fumbles in 9 games. He's lucky he only lost one of the fumbles. 

It's also hard to throw INTs when you don't throw the ball more than 5 yds down the field. Alex Smith is not the answer and it's sad that some people believe he is. 

Im not sure who said he was. 

He had this team playing way above it’s pay grade. But that doesn’t mean it’s a smart move to move forward with him.

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Im not sure who said he was. 

He had this team playing way above it’s pay grade. But that doesn’t mean it’s a smart move to move forward with him.

He didn't have his team playing above his pay grade. Adrian Peterson is the reason we were 6-3 not Alex Smith. 

Screenshot_20191017-204655.png

Archived