Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Awesome Problem ; How do you say we split the carries ?

Malapropismic Depository

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doesn't surprise me.

I kind of expected it. It happened in New Orleans with AP. And AP has quite a bit of justification, after what he did last season.

And I wonder if Trent's situation has anything to do with it.

Since they're so close, maybe he's doing all he can to get shipped out, like Trent.

I highly doubt he's trying to lose his gig.  He's got some well documented financial issues, he cant be throwing jobs away because of some other guy's problem. This dude is gonna try to play football until he cant walk anymore.  

The Saints situation was so poorly conceived.  Peterson signed before the draft expecting a 2-back rotation. Presumably, he was at least cool with that.  They draft Kamara after that creating the 3 headed monster.  Then they were a pass-first team, and they had each guy getting single digit carries.  I dont know why they thought that was a good idea.  Not coincidentally, once they went to a 2-back system, the running game picked up.  

I say all that to say that I think this is a bit of a different situation than that, or at least should be.  I would just hope that Gruden spoke to AP about what their plans entailed at RB.  Now, if such a conversation occurred and THEN Gruden wanted to dump him, that's one thing.  If Geuden is just anticipating trouble, that wouldnt be a good way to handle it.

But if you cut AP, i hope the plan wasnt to keep Perine around.

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

If guice pops off over the next few years can we all just agree that selling the farm at the rb position is a bad idea, especially before the rookie contract is up?

See zeke situation. 

He would have to pop huge to even be in that conversation.  

9 hours ago, justice98 said:

The Saints situation was so poorly conceived.  Peterson signed before the draft expecting a 2-back rotation. Presumably, he was at least cool with that.  They draft Kamara after that creating the 3 headed monster.  Then they were a pass-first team, and they had each guy getting single digit carries.  I dont know why they thought that was a good idea.  Not coincidentally, once they went to a 2-back system, the running game picked up.  

I say all that to say that I think this is a bit of a different situation than that, or at least should be.  I would just hope that Gruden spoke to AP about what their plans entailed at RB.  Now, if such a conversation occurred and THEN Gruden wanted to dump him, that's one thing.  If Geuden is just anticipating trouble, that wouldnt be a good way to handle it.

But if you cut AP, i hope the plan wasnt to keep Perine around.

All this and Peterson is also 2 years older now which is an eternity for a running back.

He doesn't have the clout he had even two years ago.

Hard to imagine a guy who was a free agent a week before the season began a year ago thinks he has the leverage to be pissed about the amount of carries he gets but maybe that 1000 yard season went to his head a little. 

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

All this and Peterson is also 2 years older now which is an eternity for a running back.

He doesn't have the clout he had even two years ago.

Hard to imagine a guy who was a free agent a week before the season began a year ago thinks he has the leverage to be pissed about the amount of carries he gets but maybe that 1000 yard season went to his head a little. 

Maybe it did go to his head, and he wants that Ezekial Elliot money and treatment...jk

Did you hear that quote he made after the award he won, as the team's offensive player of the year ?

Something like, "God willing, I'll be taking one home next year, too".

Could it be, that was a subtle jab that he expects to be the featured back, because he'd really have to be, in order to win that award again.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could it be, that was a subtle jab that he expects to be the featured back, because he'd really have to be, in order to win that award again.

I guess it could be, but It also could just be what your expected to say in those situations. 

Time will tell but I think he'll be ok as long as he gets some carries. 

If he never sees the field I think we'll have a problem but I don't anticipate that happening. 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Or maybe he didn't say anything it all. I mean, how strange would it be for a RB to complain about not getting enough carries, before Game 1 even starts ?

Precedent maybe.   When did he get bent in New Orleans over the emergence of the stud Kamara.

That may differ from when it all actually came to light. I think he was gone by week 6. 

On if RB Adrian Peterson will have a lesser role in the offense with the emergence of RB Derrius Guice:

"We'll see, we'll see. I think initially we get going, I think you have to start with the first back and you start the game on offense, you start the game with Derrius Guice. From there, we'll see where it goes. I'm anxious to see him play. He's shown us that he's full go. He's had a good training camp. He's had good practices. He's into it mentally. He can handle the passing game, the protections and obviously he can handle the running game. Let's see where he goes and then we'll determine who gets what after that."

On what Guice did to prove that he deserves to be the starter:

"Well, he was our second-round pick. Had he not got hurt, we wouldn't know Adrian [Peterson]. Fortunately, we got to know Adrian and he's a great player for us. The issue is you’ve got one ball and if you're going to hand the ball off 25 times a game, only so many carries can go around. You still have Chris Thompson up and Adrian. So, the big thing is we get somebody ready for the mother load and everybody else is ready for whatever else they can get. That can change next week, it can change the week after, but initially we have to have a plan and go with it." 

From Jay’s presser.

Having a 2-back formation on 3rd & short could open up some big plays downfield, if Jay plays his cards right.

It would all depend on the QB and how well he reads the defense; if they sneak up to stop AP or Guise, he can audible out being there will be a lot of 1-on-1 coverage on the WRs.

If the defense doesn't come up, then its almost certain for a big gain.

But it all depends on how Jay uses a 2-back system and if it does net good positive plays.

Listening to Gruden, it sounds like he wants Guice to be "the guy".

Guice will work the majority of the first half and, if things are going well, have AP's strong, fresh legs run over a tired defense later in the game?

Would AP be happy in that role? I guess we'll see what happens.

Jay said it: Guice can handle the passing game, the protections.

You need a dual threat at RB, an all down back.  I am THRILLED Jay didn't wait until the season was half wrecked to do the obvious, hand the ball off to Guice.

Galdi had an analytics guy on and said what we all knew, that Jay was run heavy on 1st down with not enough success to warrant it. He also said the key to making a new QB succeed is NOT "being a run first team, to protect the fragile QB"  Run the ball blah blah the exact same offensive approach we have seen largely for our entire lives, isn't the best way to nurture a QB after all. We see a high fail rate on QBs. Has anyone been smart enough to look at the "run on first, duh" angle? Somehow, with football clawing out of the stoneage in advanced stats, I doubt it.

He said the analytics points to which that is obvious to me - let the rookie QB PASS ON FIRST DOWN, when the D is largely keyed on run, or a coin flip.

Guice is the back folks. I think he is poised for a MONSTER Saquon like year. With our best weapons on offense already half clinging to the shelf, he'll have little competition for touches.

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay said it: Guice can handle the passing game, the protections.

I guess that will tell the tale.  We're taking Jay's word for it.  But if in the first few weeks he goes the wrong way and leaves some guy with a free run to the QB, we'll see if AP magically gets more snaps. 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I guess that will tell the tale.  We're taking Jay's word for it.  But if in the first few weeks he goes the wrong way and leaves some guy with a free run to the QB, we'll see if AP magically gets more snaps. 

I have never been a big fan of watching CT taking on blitzing LBs. To his credit pound for pound he is a damn fine blocker. But I would love to see a way for some of those hits to go away and him be downfield on a LB instead.

Point being being in the right spot is just half the battle.  Technique will be tested. Maybe Portis can be a consultant if need be.

Being being heh.

9 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Listening to Gruden, it sounds like he wants Guice to be "the guy".

Guice will work the majority of the first half and, if things are going well, have AP's strong, fresh legs run over a tired defense later in the game?

Would AP be happy in that role? I guess we'll see what happens.

I like AP but I'd rather see them focus on one back.  It's easier for the O-line since they'll know the style of the runner they're blocking for.  Good RB's need at least 20 carries to really get a good feel for what the defense is doing.  Since Guice has been tapped to go first I think they should see what he can do.  He looked really good in that 3rd preseason game.  

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I keep hearing on the radio they may scratch Peterson game one. What’s that about? Someone sell me on that one cause to me it sounds like taking away a strength 

That would be the worst time to do that, IMO. For a couple reasons.

One, we don't know yet, exactly what we have in Guice.

Two, it's far more likely to piss off AP if it's Game 1, because it sends a "stronger message" if it's done right off the bat.

Sounds reasonable to me. AP is the next game backup.  I wanted to see him late in games but whatever.

Backup RBs often (I think) need to play teams.  Jay likes to have 2 workhorse backs but only dresses one at a time.

It may also point to Jay going more pass happy.

Archived