Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

22 hours ago, Hersh said:

better benefits to start. We need healthcare for all and 4 day work weeks. 

Trying to understand how the 4 day work week makes things better.  Not opposed to it, just trying to understand the tangible benefits.  Now I definitely understand the need for hourly workers to have access to benefits instead of being scheduled for sub 40 hours and not have them because they aren’t “full time.”

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Trying to understand how the 4 day work week makes things better.  Not opposed to it, just trying to understand the tangible benefits.  Now I definitely understand the need for hourly workers to have access to benefits instead of being scheduled for sub 40 hours and not have them because they aren’t “full time.”

more time off for people to focus on themselves and/or their families=Less stress and a healthier population. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Happier workforce leads to a more productive workforce. Four day work weeks seem to increase efficiency and productivity according to studies in Iceland and Japan. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/776163853/microsoft-japan-says-4-day-workweek-boosted-workers-productivity-by-40

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7871364002

It's also better for the environment. Less energy used for commutes and powering offices.

Obviously the four day work week isn't for every job / career tho. Longer hours n whatnot. 

Edited by clietas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

more time off for people to focus on themselves and/or their families=Less stress and a healthier population. 

If I’m a day care provider, wouldn’t that add more stress to me because the demand for my services has been cut by 20%?

I’ve done consulting work for most of my career.  At this point, I could make a decision to either take a 20% pay cut and have the extra day or keep a five day week. But I know that earlier in my career a 20% decrease with an extra day off would not have been a good proposition.  And, at that time, I would have been expected to work the extra hours anyway.

I agree that having an extra day would reduce stress, allow more meaningful responsibilities, etc.  But having a 12 hour work week would make things way better.  Why not do that instead?

20 minutes ago, clietas said:

Happier workforce leads to a more productive workforce. Four day work weeks seem to increase efficiency and productivity according to studies in Iceland and Japan. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/776163853/microsoft-japan-says-4-day-workweek-boosted-workers-productivity-by-40

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7871364002

It's also better for the environment. Less energy used for commutes and powering offices.

Obviously the four day work week isn't for every job / career tho. Longer hours n whatnot. 

Reading between the lines of the NPR link, I believe this is just propaganda for Microsoft to force Yammer down companies’ throats.  🤣  Kidding…I think.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

If I’m a day care provider, wouldn’t that add more stress to me because the demand for my services has been cut by 20%?

I’ve done consulting work for most of my career.  At this point, I could make a decision to either take a 20% pay cut and have the extra day or keep a five day week. But I know that earlier in my career a 20% decrease with an extra day off would not have been a good proposition.  And, at that time, I would have been expected to work the extra hours anyway.

I agree that having an extra day would reduce stress, allow more meaningful responsibilities, etc.  But having a 12 hour work week would make things way better.  Why not do that instead?

For some jobs there might be a pay cut but if people are more efficient the other four days, there would be no pay cut. And as clietas said, it wouldn't apply to all industries. 

• Like 1

No fries, only hash browns and tater tots at the store last Friday.  I was there about an hour ago, same situation.  Freezer shelves look just like they did then.  Another lady was complaining too, and when I told her how long it had been that way, she looked stunned. 

I bought some small ones in produce, I can make my own out of those. 

• Thumb down 1

Social Security checks going up by 5.9 percent, the highest increase in decades

The Social Security Administration announced Wednesday that recipients will receive a nearly 6 percent increase in benefits next year.

The boost in benefits, which will affect nearly 70 million people, is being fueled by a spike in inflation caused by supply chain bottlenecks, worker shortages and other economic disruptions from the Covid pandemic.

The larger checks will begin to arrive for most recipients in January.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Can someone tell us how dropping tariffs would ease the “supply chain crisis”???  CNN keeps posting articles about it but they aren’t very clear how it would help.

I don't think it is so much about helping the supply chain crisis but about helping companies hurt by the supply chain crisis.

(Though that logic doesn't make a lot of sense because general economic knowledge says that tariffs are mostly passed onto the consumer because they decrease competition so I don't see how they "help" companies.  Mostly, I'd guess just people saying stupid things without thinking.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

U.S. households will pay more to heat their homes this winter, officials say

U.S. households can expect to spend more money to heat their homes this winter compared with last year, federal officials announced.

A report released Wednesday by the Energy Information Administration predicts that home heating costs will go up because fuel prices are rising and fuel demand has increased over the previous winter.

Many energy prices dropped considerably last winter due to a sharp drop in demand brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. But the agency said prices have since rebounded, in part because of the economic recovery, and in some cases have reached multiyear highs.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

• PleaseBlitz changed the title to The State of the Economy Thread - Supply Chain and Inflation Concerns Mounting
9 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trickle down gonna kick in any minute now!

Does this mean that when the next republican get into office and tanks the economy, the excuse that the stock market is doing well won't save them, right? Right?...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Does this mean that when the next republican get into office and tanks the economy, the excuse that the stock market is doing well won't save them, right? Right?...

Nah, the people who know know the stock market is cyclical. They will excuse “the stock market” issue for tax cuts to encourage “investment”

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Sad 1

The shortages hitting countries around the world

Around the the world, people and businesses are facing shortages of everything from coffee to coal.

Disruption caused by the Covid pandemic is mostly to blame - but there are many factors, and effects are being felt in different ways.

China: Coal and paper
A "perfect storm" in China is hitting shoppers and businesses at home and overseas.

It is affecting everything from paper, food, textiles and toys to iPhone chips, says Dr Michal Meidan from the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.

She says these items "may end up being in short supply this Christmas".

The problem stems mainly from an electricity crisis, during which more than 20 provinces have experienced power cuts.

More than half of the country's electricity comes from coal, which has risen in price worldwide. These costs can't be passed on to Chinese consumers because of a strict price cap, so energy companies are reducing output.

Coal production has also been hit by new safety checks at mines, stricter environmental rules and recent flooding, says Dr Meidan.

US: Toys and toilet paper
At Christmas, "there will be things that people can't get", a White House official has warned.

Stocks of toys will be affected, as could staples such as toilet paper and bottled water, new clothes and pet food.

Part of the problem is a bottleneck at US ports. Four out of 10 shipping containers entering the US come through just two ports - in Los Angeles and Long Beach, California.

On one day in September, a record 73 ships were forced to queue outside Los Angeles port. Before Covid, it was unusual for more than one to be waiting.

Both ports have now moved to a 24/7 operation to help ease the pressures.

Even when goods are produced, delivering them to retailers has become more difficult, says Prof Willy Shih of Harvard Business School.

There has been a surge in spending by US consumers, but disruption at factories, ports and "overloaded" road and rail networks have created a bottleneck, he says.

Click on the link for more

15 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I put $140 of diesel into my truck today.  Didn’t even fill it up all the way.  This **** is getting out of control.

How many gallons does your truck hold? At roughly $3.50 a gallon for diesel in VB, that's 40 gallons you added.  

https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=Virginia beach&fuel=4&method=all

37 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How many gallons does your truck hold? At roughly $3.50 a gallon for diesel in VB, that's 40 gallons you added.  

https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=Virginia beach&fuel=4&method=all

50 gallons.  

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Ride big, pay big. 

C394B86D-9ABA-48CE-B29A-2D5C36730FF7.gif

19 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

got a used Corolla for you, if you need it

That’s why I ride the Harley as much as possible.

• Haha 1