Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Are You Rich? This Income- Rank Quiz Might Change How You See Yourself

Bozo the kKklown

10 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Childfree living is great for the pocketbook and the mind. My dog lives like a ****ing king at 1/100th the cost of a whiny, bratty poop machine. 

Yeah but does your dog....

when he wakes up does he ....

I hate you. 

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

What kind of fufu lawyer are you drinking ****ing captain 

And makers

Are you sure you’re not prelaw? 

I dont drink rum, that was a joke. If you ever say another word against Makers i will declare an old school Sicilian vendetta on your ass. 

14 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm not entering my info because I am always suspect of online info-gathering surveys.  But I will say @thegreaterbuzzette and I are quite comfortable as a DINK family.

we have a SI3k family... and the only breadwinner ran away from getting PAID for a job until he was  pushing 40... 

we have to live by this mantra:

On 8/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Image result for âWealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.â

but i have to say, it works.     we live as if we were fairly poor, save like mother****ers, and we will be fine.     

My only real extravagance is my zipode, and we'll see about THAT once my kids finish up with school.... 

18 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

we live as if we were fairly poor, save like mother****ers, and we will be fine.    

I never understood this mindset.  Especially considering you could donk off any minute for any reason.  My dad never even made it to retirement.

I'm not saying to NOT save for the future, but to live like you are poor JUST to save is a terrible way to go through life IMO.  You work hard for your money so you might as well enjoy it while you can.  There's no need to go to either extreme IMO.

So many people think they will travel the world when they retire and save and save never traveling in their youth, thinking when they are 60+ they will feel the same as they do when they are younger and just go all around.  That's just not the way the human body works.  Live it up a little while saving.

I travelled more when i was younger.    My wife and i were married for 10 years before we had kids... those were some nice, carefree (and income free) times.   We dind't need to spend much then to have fun... which was good, since we didn;t have much.     But we also learned well how to be happy that way.   Together.    Now, i get more enjoyment from building up security than i do from buying whatever random thing.   I drive my cars until they fall apart into rust-oil smears on the side of the road... but i don't really LIKE cars, so i don't care.    We both get satisfaction from having my wife at home, caring for our home and kids.      We are basically a little-house-on-the-prairie story... inside the beltway.   

the only thing i would REALLY LIKE to buy...is more time.  Less time at work, more time with my wife and kids.   More time with my other family, and friends.   More time to play the drums  (.... i have never owned drums, nor played them)... Just more time.    

I have built my kids 529 accounts to over $150k each..because i like that certainty and security.

I have paid off my house quick (earlier this year...yay!)  for the same reason.

i max out the Roth and TSP contributions, and random other "savings" accounts... for the same reason.     

the only two ways i can approximate "buying time" are choosing a career without crazy hours (done) and saving towards a relatively-early retirement (in process).     

On 8/2/2019 at 1:52 PM, tshile said:

I'm like the only person I know that doesn't have this problem.

My wife comes home from shopping and says she's sorry cause she spent 60$ and got 4 shirts and 2 pairs of pants and some shoes.

And she makes twice what I make. It's crazy.

Yikes. Tight ship.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

the only thing i would REALLY LIKE to buy...is more time.  Less time at work, more time with my wife and kids.   More time with my other family, and friends.   More time to play the drums  (.... i have never owned drums, nor played them)... Just more time.    

Me too

:cheers:

6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Yikes. Tight ship.

Factor of growing up poor. 

I dont have any problem spending money as long as its on something that’s value justifies it in some sense

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:15 AM, tshile said:

What kind of fufu lawyer are you drinking ****ing captain 

And makers

Are you sure you’re not prelaw? 

Reminds me of one of the great under-appreciated lines from Animal House......

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

For a dad? I didn't know such a thing existed. Do I have to formally apply and sign paperwork?

Just sign it and make off with one of his 150k 529 plans. Quit asking questions 

Archived