Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Are You Rich? This Income- Rank Quiz Might Change How You See Yourself

Bozo the kKklown

Too much is made of income from primary occupation when we discuss “the rich.”  If you’re working 60+ hour weeks to scrape in six figures that are all gong out to bills almost as fast as you earn them... you’re not rich.  I don’t care where you rank in terms of income.  You’re a bad month away from being broke.  People like this aren’t the ruling class.  

Wealth, or rich, is imo more a question of net worth, assets, and how much income is produced by those assets.  

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Too much is made of income from primary occupation when we discuss “the rich.”  If you’re working 60+ hour weeks to scrape in six figures that are all gong out to bills almost as fast as you earn them... you’re not rich.  I don’t care where you rank in terms of income.  You’re a bad month away from being broke.  People like this aren’t the ruling class.  

Wealth, or rich, is imo more a question of net worth, assets, and how much income is produced by those assets.  

Yep.  This quiz says I'm rich.  It does not ask about my student loans or if I have a kid, and therefore has no clue of my financial situation.  

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yep.  This quiz says I'm rich.  It does not ask about my student loans or if I have a kid, and therefore has no clue of my financial situation.  

Or your liquor tab. :pint:

29 minutes ago, China said:

Not rich according to that, but then my house is paid off and I'm retired at age 53, and my son's Ivy League college tuition will be paid for with him incurring no debt.  I'll take it.

See now this is what I was talking about.  When it comes time to eat the rich, it just won't be right if PleaseBlitz is consumed while China is left to lord over everyone with his early retirement, paid off house, and fancy debt free ivy league children.  

The income you entered is higher than more than 95 percent of earners in your area and in your age group. Based on the threshold you set for what constitutes a rich income,

You might be rich — but we can’t say for sure.

(The income you entered is definitely in the top 5 percent, but we can’t be certain if you’re in the top 1 percent for your metro area, age group and income type. The Census Bureau generalizes the income of the highest earners to protect privacy).

it should have also asked net worth. I would have like to seen where that puts me. 

I chose top 1% for my definition of rich. I didn’t put much thought into it though. I also chose the dc metro area, not sure if that’s the right one but it’ll do. 

19 minutes ago, Destino said:

See now this is what I was talking about.  When it comes time to eat the rich, it just won't be right if PleaseBlitz is consumed while China is left to lord over everyone with his early retirement, paid off house, and fancy debt free ivy league children.  

No that’s exactly how it should be

he deserves being consumed

she doesn’t 

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

The income you entered is higher than more than 95 percent of earners in your area and in your age group. Based on the threshold you set for what constitutes a rich income,

You might be rich — but we can’t say for sure.

(The income you entered is definitely in the top 5 percent, but we can’t be certain if you’re in the top 1 percent for your metro area, age group and income type. The Census Bureau generalizes the income of the highest earners to protect privacy).

it should have also asked net worth. I would have like to seen where that puts me. 

I chose top 1% for my definition of rich. I didn’t put much thought into it though. I also chose the dc metro area, not sure if that’s the right one but it’ll do. 

No that’s exactly how it should be

he deserves being consumed

she doesn’t 

She?

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It just tests what percentile of income you make vs what percentile of income you think is rich.  I was rich then I wasn’t.  

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Is there a place to look for that? I'd love to see how I stack up with my net worth at my age. 

I don't know to be honest. I've always used general definitions like the one I found on wikipedia from the US bureau of labor statistics 

The only definition of rich that matters ... from Charles Dicken's David Copperfield ... The Micawber Principle: "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Is there a place to look for that? I'd love to see how I stack up with my net worth at my age. 

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-calculator-united-states/

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It's telling you to have your kid take on your loans and then disown the kid.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

i'm 98 percentile for net worth

we've done really well with our money so it makes sense we'd be higher on net worth than income.

I've done pretty well with our money, the wife on the other hand apparently thinks spending it is a full time position. :pint:

Archived