Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

1 minute ago, superozman said:

I get where you are going with the analogy, but in the end if those who want impeachment feel that this can be proven and not defensed, then lets get the impeachment inquiry going.  In the end, is the evidence strong enough for 2/3s of the senate to say guilty.  and with 53-45-2 make up in the senate, I would think you want a very strong case for 67 guilty votes.

Literally no one thinks the Senate will convict. Trump can shoot someone on 5th Avenue and they still won't. The evidence will never be strong enough.

2 minutes ago, superozman said:

In the end, is the evidence strong enough for 2/3s of the senate to say guilty

He said, quickly moving the goalposts from "has Donald Trump been caught red-handed abusing his office in the commission of a crime" to "will half of the Republican Party do the honest thing, or the politician thing?"

I'm well aware that not one of them has any soul left to sell.  If they did, we wouldn't have had both houses of Congress actively working to create a false narrative to cover Trump for the last time he got caught soliciting a foreign government to help his election campaign.  

4 minutes ago, superozman said:

I get where you are going with the analogy, but in the end if those who want impeachment feel that this can be proven and not defensed, then lets get the impeachment inquiry going.  In the end, is the evidence strong enough for 2/3s of the senate to say guilty.  and with 53-45-2 make up in the senate, I would think you want a very strong case for 67 guilty votes.

The problem with this though is that impeachment isn't going to be decided over this summarized transcript either way.  This phone call, the transcript, and even the whistle blower testimony (should it happen) are pieces of evidence that you use to justify an impeachment INQUIRY, basically saying "hey, this is potentially very damning information, we need to investigate to see if there is more to this, and what the more (or not) is, and whether it leads to uncovering impeachable offenses"

This is the entire reason the whole Mueller report situation was botched by the Dems & the media.  The Mueller report was never intended to be the "a-ha" moment, it was supposed to be information gathered that would show there is justification for Congress to further investigate Mueller's findings.  It was not Mueller's job to recommend impeachment or not, or provide some kind of smoking gun.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem with this though is that impeachment isn't going to be decided over this summarized transcript either way.  This phone call, the transcript, and even the whistle blower testimony (should it happen) are pieces of evidence that you use to justify an impeachment INQUIRY, basically saying "hey, this is potentially very damning information, we need to investigate to see if there is more to this, and what the more (or not) is, and whether it leads to uncovering impeachable offenses"

This is the entire reason the whole Mueller report situation was botched by the Dems & the media.  The Mueller report was never intended to be the "a-ha" moment, it was supposed to be information gathered that would show there is justification for Congress to further investigate Mueller's findings.  It was not Mueller's job to recommend impeachment or not, or provide some kind of smoking gun.

Yep, and Trump has been so open and in our faces about so many of these acts of corruption that it is impossible not to step into something damning. And let's be honest, there's no way that Graham, McConnell, Grassley, etc. aren't sniffing their shoes every day and frowning about what they've stepped into.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yep, and Trump has been so open and in our faces about so many of these acts of corruption that it is impossible not to step into something damning. And let's be honest, there's no way that Graham, McConnell, Grassley, etc. aren't sniffing their shoes every day and frowning about what they've stepped into.

At this point the only way a proper investigation can be held, where documents and evidence requested are actually turned over is if Barr resigns and Trump accidentally names someone with a moral compass as AG.  Trump on his own would very likely be dumb enough to do it, but those around him are likely making these decisions for him anyway and they know who will keep the obstruction mission going.

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

He said, quickly moving the goalposts from "has Donald Trump been caught red-handed abusing his office in the commission of a crime" to "will half of the Republican Party do the honest thing, or the politician thing?"

I'm well aware that not one of them has any soul left to sell.  If they did, we wouldn't have had both houses of Congress actively working to create a false narrative to cover Trump for the last time he got caught soliciting a foreign government to help his election campaign.  

Larry, it's called responding to your response.  Not every time someone responses with a dissenting opinion, it's moving the goalposts.  I swear that term is overused on this board.  

I would love to respond appropriately though, what did i move the goal post on, i will try and answer to your liking.

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I could not have said this better myself.  I would also add, which you could have also meant, is during this process if you can get Trump to say something wrong, or have him accidentally provide something else to dig into (wasn't that how the who Clinton thing transpired, in a way?)

8 minutes ago, superozman said:

I could not have said this better myself.  I would also add, which you could have also meant, is during this process if you can get Trump to say something wrong, or have him accidentally provide something else to dig into (wasn't that how the who Clinton thing transpired, in a way?)

Yes.  Clinton's impeachment started as a whitewater investigation that yielded nothing.  Somewhere along the investigation (I was a teenager at the time so the exact details are fuzzy on me) it came to light that he had an affair with Lewinsky so the entire investigation shifted to getting Clinton cornered into a perjury trap because he didn't want to admit to the affair.   It is one of those situations where most of the country knew exactly what was going on, but at the same time Clinton did in fact perjure himself so it was kind of his fault.

If somehow this turned into an investigation about Trump cheating on Melania (and lying about it) I would not feel like he should be impeached over that, but that is not what is going on, in fact the Democrats as everyone has seen thus far have been hesitant to even move forward with impeachment inquiries in the first place.  They know how petty it came off when the GOP went after Clinton ruthlessly over everything, and all they could muster in the end was a perjury charge over lying about Lewinsky affair.  That isn't the road the Dems want to go down. 

It's working.  

The Washington press corps is using magnifying glasses to carefully scrutinize a White House Press Release, while the actual complaint stays covered up.  As though what is or isn't explicitly mentioned in the press release is significant of anything other than "how the White House wants the discussion framed".  

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I used to think that Trump didn't care about the law and thats why he did whatever he wanted without caring about consequences. However, I really do believe now that Trump honestly thinks that he isn't doing anything wrong.

That's because he never has faced consequences for his crimes.

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Literally no one thinks the Senate will convict. Trump can shoot someone on 5th Avenue and they still won't. The evidence will never be strong enough.

Someone on MSNBC just said a republican senator told them that if it were a secret vote, 30 republican senators would vote to indict... but theyre scared of the politics of losing the senate in 2020 if they do vote yes

Not sure if that has any merit, or if the turtle would even allow a senate trial, but maybe if someone convinced him he could take down biden with trump, he'd be for it

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Someone on MSNBC just said a republican senator told them that if it were a secret vote, 30 republican senators would vote to indict... but theyre scared of the politics of losing the senate in 2020 if they do vote yes

Not sure if that has any merit, or if the turtle would even allow a senate trial, but maybe if someone convinced him he could take down biden with trump, he'd be for it

In their mind they're all Principled Conservatives©️ but in reality they're all Ben Sasse level ****boys.

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

In their mind they're all Principled Conservatives©️ but in reality they're all Ben Sasse level ****boys.

I almost feel bad for the GOP, if they stick by Trump...they're done. If they go against Trump...they're done. I have no doubt that some of them will eventually break off from the status quo.

Archived