Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looking at that play and have seen others that are explosive like that, yeah that side of him gets me jazzed, he's a freak, and like I said, I like him as a blitzer from both the edge and A gap, and he's fun to watch chasing down RBs and mobile Qbs.  I think am pretty sold on him if his 2019 games jump more.

...SWINNEY THUMBED through the paperwork his strength coach had just dropped on his desk, numbers from summer testing. Swinney stopped suddenly and shook his head. No, this couldn't be right.

The new kid, Simmons -- his numbers were unreal.

Broad jump: 11 feet, 3 inches. That would've been good enough for fifth at this year's NFL combine.

Vertical leap: 40 inches. That would've been better than all but three players at this year's NBA combine.

He also ran a 4.31 40-yard dash, the fastest time on the team.

All before he had ever played a down at Clemson.

"I was like, 'You've got to be kidding me,'" Swinney said.

I can't wait to see what his 40 time will be at the combine or workouts!

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd go Young over Simmons.  But for me Simmons is intriguing but I think the wrong defensive coordinator could easily waste him.  IMO he's a dude that's perfect for a Belichick -- smart-creative defensive coordinator.  If Manusky stays or someone of his ilk runs the defense part of me thinks they waste him because IMO you got to move him around the field like a chess piece to milk his talent because a big part of his talent in that he can play a range of positions and roles which you can use to confuse offenses among other things. 

If you got a creative coordinator, I think he could have a blast with someone like him.  If you got a vanilla type D coordinator who uses Simmons in a vanilla way then I don't think he wouldn't reach his potential.  Granted you can make a point like that about any player but I think it especially applies to Simmons. 

I threw up a little in my mouth at the thought of Manusky being back.

Damn do I hope for a creative DC and a player like Simmons!!! ;Also that he doesn't end out with Bellichick. What he could do with him on that roster. A guy like Winovich would become a well known name.

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Morning buddy.

I really cant stand the addition of "but with our coaches/FO/Bruce/Dan/whoever" to comments when talking about this stuff. The future ineptitude of coaching, is not a reason to swerve around unique talent.

I get the point and I typically don’t say something like that on the draft thread. 

But what driving that point is I don’t know if Simmons is worthy of a top 5 pick if you just stick him at one place. For example I don’t know if he’s a rock star MLB if he just plays there or an elite OLB, etc. I think to get the most out of him you got to move him around and be creative and that’s a major plot line with him. 

Someone like Chase Young on the other hand would be difficult to screw up. You line him up on the edge and he destroys the dude in front of him. Yeah maybe you can have him play coverage too much to derail him a little but it wouldn’t take a lot of imagination to get the most out of Young. On the other hand, it would take IMO more imagination than it would with the typical player as to Simmons.

So for me I would crave an imaginative D coordinator any day but I would double down on it if they drafted Simmons.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the point and I typically don’t say something like that on the draft thread. 

But what driving that point is I don’t know if Simmons is worthy of a top 5 pick if you just stick him at one place. For example I don’t know if he’s a rock star MLB if he just plays there or an elite OLB, etc. I think to get the most out of him you got to move him around and be creative and that’s a major plot line with him. 

Someone like Chase Young on the other hand would be difficult to screw up. You line him up on the edge and he destroys the dude in front of him. Yeah maybe you can have him play coverage too much to derail him a little but it wouldn’t take a lot of imagination to get the most out of Young. On the other hand, it would take IMO more imagination than it would with the typical player as to Simmons.

Well, our defensive coaches might be very weak and regressive.  Ten years ago, I share your concern.  But now I don't think Simmons is a difficult code to crack.  I think you basically use him the same way Clemson does, because college offense designs have made their way into the NFL.  If it's heavy or traditional I form/single back personnel, and assuming all of your guys are healthy, he lines up at Will.  If it's a spread he lines up at overhang safety.  Or if you have an injury at safety and you're healthy at linebacker (or vice versa), you can move him as needed.  Then in addition to the standard roles you've given him, you line him up as a slot corner/safety at times, and also as a rush linebacker on the edge at other times just to throw some different looks at offenses, similar to how the Jets do Jamal Adams.

Versatility is a good thing, not something to fear.  He lets you fill multiple roles and depth chart spots with one roster spot.  And one of the neat things about Simmons is he's an original prototype player for an emerging NFL role.  Everyone is going to be looking for players like him eventually because he is the ideal for defending the spread.

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, our defensive coaches might be very weak and regressive.  Ten years ago, I share your concern.  But now I don't think Simmons is a difficult code to crack.  I think you basically use him the same way Clemson does, because college offense designs have made their way into the NFL.  If it's heavy or traditional I form/single back personnel, and assuming all of your guys are healthy, he lines up at Will.  If it's a spread he lines up at overhang safety.  Or if you have an injury at safety and you're healthy at linebacker (or vice versa), you can move him as needed.  Then in addition to the standard roles you've given him, you line him up as a slot corner/safety at times, and also as a rush linebacker on the edge at other times just to throw some different looks at offenses, similar to how the Jets do Jamal Adams.

Versatility is a good thing, not something to fear.  He lets you fill multiple roles and depth chart spots with one roster spot.  And one of the neat things about Simmons is he's an original prototype player for an emerging NFL role.  Everyone is going to be looking for players like him eventually because he is the ideal for defending the spread.

I think the more basic defensive coordinator types might use Simmons like Deone Bucannon.  Nickel-dime MLB.  And then kick in with some SS, covering tight ends.  I guess to simplify my point some, I like using Simmons moving forward a lot.  I wonder if every defensive coordinator would.  I can see them doing it on occasion.

You mention J. Adams.  Gregg I think used him well.  We had Shawn Springs once lead the team in sacks when Gregg was here.  IMO you need a coordinator who uses every device in the swiss knife to get full millage out of Simmons.   

I loved Derwin James and Fitzpatrick back in the day on the draft thread.   So yeah I personally like versatility -- versatility is what I used to tout Derwin a lot.  I kept saying he's not a pure SS where that's the whole ball game with the dude.  The charm is that he can do many things.  Simmons strikes me as that and more if he's used right. 

I'd also add this -- Doug Williams is brutally honest in his pre draft pressers or interviews, sometimes he will tout BPA but eventually he slips that need guides their draft some especially in the first round.  Keim and some of the beat guys also from time to time slip that he's hearing they target specific positions especially early.  I don't buy that they use a BPA strategy.  I think its more like this -- they got 2 positions targeted or at most 3 and take the best player among those positions.  

Heck Kyle Smith himself revealed that they considered taking K. Harmon in the 4th round and had him rated highly then.  But they had bigger needs hence they addressed those positions and when he was still there in the 6th, it was too rich to pass him up,

My point?  The way that FO rocks, I got doubts that Simmons would be high on their radar unless ironically they hire a defensive coordinator who screams in their ear that they want him. 

If they don't sign a LT in FA, my guess is their game plan is LT and the backup plan is WR.  The idea is to help Haskins and they've loaded on defense in recent drafts.   The idea that they can fortify either position by piling on to their Alabama filled roster I think adds to the likelihood. 

@stevemcqueen1  mentioned not long ago that he thinks Andrew Thomas is their guy and we should get used to it.   He's probably right but wonder about Jedrick Wills in part because he's Alabama.  But it would be very Redskins of late to go to town on LT and plan to take their favorite in the first regardless of their occasional BPA rhetoric.   I think part of the drill of the BPA rhetoric with them is to keep other teams guessing.   

And I am not saying that approach is wrong as to targeting LT.  But I think their drill in the first-2nd rounds in particular is more rigid then they let on.  And Doug usually slips at some point and reveals what those intentions are ball park.  the fact for example they were going DT and RB in the first two rounds was somewhat telegraphed in advanced 2 years ago.  The only mystery was which position in which round.   On that token, if they trade down or obtain a pick for Trent, I am betting they are thinking LT in round 1, Wr in round 2. 

As much as I like the versatility of Simmons, I doubt they’d draft him in the top 10. I’m sure they’d think having Collins on the roster makes either of their skill-sets somewhat redundant, as Collins does much of what we’d want Simmons to do (albeit at a lesser level). And Collins isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  I’m not saying I agree with this thinking, I just think it would make the FO more likely to go with a LT or WR if Simmons is still on the board, even if it’s a “lesser” prospect. 

Ogedah, to me, could be a target b/c Dunbar is a FA soon, and we have nothing in the pipeline CB wise close to him.  Christian (body-wise) is night-and-day different from last year.  You can tell he's been in an NFL training program.  He doesn't look like a disaster out there (that he was last year).

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Man Ceedee Lamb, what a play just now.  I think the dude is the best YAC receiver in this draft.  Video game level ability in open field. 

Gotta be either Lamb or Shenault for that prize

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gotta be either Lamb or Shenault for that prize

I admit I have watched a lot of Lamb and very little Shenault.  So I can't do a good apples to apples comparison.  But unless Lamb runs like 4.6 or slower at the combine, I think he's my #1 WR in this draft.  I would though trade down in this draft if am taking a receiver.  Because I love other receivers, too but Lamb right now is my favorite with others I like being just a little behind.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I admit I have watched a lot of Lamb and very little Shenault.  So I can't do a good apples to apples comparison.  But unless Lamb runs like 4.6 or slower at the combine, I think he's my #1 WR in this draft.  I would though trade down in this draft if am taking a receiver.  Because I love other receivers, too but Lamb right now is my favorite with others I like being just a little behind.  

Lamb could for sure be the WR1. Shenault is exciting as hell but not polished enough for me to trust us with him. I'd need the right offensive staff to trust that they'd develop and utilize the monster potential he has, because it might not be easy to just plug and play him as an outside receiver and call it a day. To me he's like if Cordarelle Patterson had been able to catch and make plays downfield--that would have made him an even better prospect but still not a polished, traditional WR. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

And Fromm cant buy a completion.  4 easy passes early. Hes missed 2, had 1 dropped, and had his wr get pushed out of bounds on the 4th

Seems like he never really developed since his freshman year. I think he'd be an interesting guy for a team to draft and develop, but never turned into the franchise guy it looked like he'd be early. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Seems like he never really developed since his freshman year. I think he'd be an interesting guy for a team to draft and develop, but never turned into the franchise guy it looked like he'd be early. 

He was so far ahead of 95% of the freshman and youre right, he has not developed into a true no. 1 guy.   Ive been interested in him since he was on QB1 and was excited to see what he could be, but i dont know.  Not sure hes a week 1 guy but a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for someone like Green Bay or New England.... a team with a QB thats on the tail end but its time to think about the heir... could be interesting 

I'm just going to say it.........Joe Burrow is good.......DAMN good. I know we won't be in position to draft him and even if we were I don't see it happening but I think he's hands down the best QB in this draft, even better than a 100% healthy Tua. This coming from a huge Tua supporter 

Archived