Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Derek Stingley is going to be special. He is only a freshman and won't be draft eligible this year, but every LSU game I've watched the guy is making plays.  Often on an island.  Only 18 years old, and his measurables are solid with crazy athleticism.  Premier cb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/Derek-Stingley-Jr-LSU-football-dad-grandad-best-cornerback-prospect-ever-139761441/Amp/

The Skins need to use their first-round pick for a LT, any other choice will be stupid and make my head will explode.  Any sensible, well-managed franchise losing their LT would want to replace him with the best LT in the draft.  But alas, knowing the Skins they'll do something stupid instead. I'm not sure what that will be but I'm confident they will manage to do something stupid that they will think will be devilishly clever.

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Just a thought.... how many SEC qbs succeed next level?

There are a ton of sec QBs that were among the best in college but didn't make it in the pros: Tim tebow, Chris leak, David Greene, Aaron Murray, Tim couch, Nick Marshall, aj mccarron, manziel, etc

But you also have dak Prescott, cam netwon, Manning Bros, etc.

Just a ton of talent coming out of there over the years.   I guess you could make an argument that more sec QBs bust, but I'm not sure if it's at a higher rate or not, bc that happens all over.  Big 12 has a reputation for not being NFL QBs.  Ohio St QBs rarely make it.  Oregon QBs don't make it.  

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

There are a ton of sec QBs that were among the best in college but didn't make it in the pros: Tim tebow, Chris leak, David Greene, Aaron Murray, Tim couch, Nick Marshall, aj mccarron, manziel, etc

Just a ton of talent coming out of there over the years.   I guess you could make an argument that more sec QBs bust, but I'm not sure if it's at a higher rate or not, bc that happens all over.  Big 12 has a reputation for not being NFL QBs.  Ohio St QBs rarely make it.  Oregon QBs don't make it.  

And, of that group, really only Couch and maybe Manziel were thought to be real NFL prospects. And it amazed me that people thought of Manziel that way, frankly. He was an obvious head case from day 1.

The Mannings, Prescott, Newton, Stafford, Cutler. There are plenty of SEC QBs who have made it in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Skins need to use their first-round pick for a LT, any other choice will be stupid and make my head will explode.  Any sensible, well-managed franchise losing their LT would want to replace him with the best LT in the draft.  But alas, knowing the Skins they do something stupid instead. I'm not sure what that will be but I'm confident they will manage to do something stupid that they will think will be devilishly clever.

I'm on the complete opposite side of that debate, especially if we end up drafting top 5.  If we pass on a burrow, young, a healthy tua, maybe jeudy.or Simmons depending on how draft process plays out, my head will explode.  Combination of me really liking some of those top prospects and not being sold on the LT prospects.  

But LT is definitely a need, and hope they can have penn, or someone of similar performance/cost, be a stopgap until we draft a premier LT.  I just think in 2020 draft we will get better value at another position for our 1st, and as of now won't draft again til 70th or so, and that's far from a sure thing.

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I dont know why i was just wondering why there arent more, and the only thing i could think of was that a lot of SEC QBs have a major leg up with the teams around them.  3 of the top 4 or 5 Qbs in the upcoming draft are from the SEC.  Another was successful in the SEC before going to Oklahoma.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

I dont know why i was just wondering why there arent more, and the only thing i could think of was that a lot of SEC QBs have a major leg up with the teams around them.  3 of the top 4 or 5 Qbs in the upcoming draft are from the SEC.  Another was successful in the SEC before going to Oklahoma.  

Kyler murray

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm on the complete opposite side of that debate, especially if we end up drafting top 5.  If we pass on a burrow, young, a healthy tua, maybe jeudy.or Simmons depending on how draft process plays out, my head will explode.  Combination of me really liking some of those top prospects and not being sold on the LT prospects.  

But LT is definitely a need, and hope they can have penn, or someone of similar performance/cost, be a stopgap until we draft a premier LT.  I just think in 2020 draft we will get better value at another position for our 1st, and as of now won't draft again til 70th or so, and that's far from a sure thing.

Yeah I think we all agree we need a LT.  But man talk about the Bruce-Vinny era of extremes.  in Vinny's era they overdid free agency.  In Bruce's era we are so used to so little action that its in the soup that it doesn't even exist.    I forgot what GM said it but he articulated well that if you can then try to address the team's most burning need in FA so you can go BPA in the draft.

I don't mind and even like the idea of loading on the O line.  But hate being boxed into a position especially in the first round.   

Just now, KillBill26 said:

Kyler murray

Murray wasnt quite as successful at A & M as he was at Oklahoma but i guess he counts.  The book isnt written on him yet

1 minute ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Dak, Stafford, Cutler...

Stafford and cutler are in the group on the way down, same with Cam.   

I guess there is still a fair amount of SEC QBs in the league, just felt like with as much winning as that conference does, there would be a bigger influx of young studs coming out of it.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I think we all agree we need a LT.  But man talk about the Bruce-Vinny era of extremes.  in Vinny's era they overdid free agency.  In Bruce's era we are so used to so little action that its in the soup that it doesn't even exist.   

I forgot what GM said it but he articulated well that if you can trying to address the team's most burning need in FA so you can go BPA in the draft.

But hate being boxed into a position especially in the first round.   

Absolutely, and as usual, the ideal situation is somewhere between the two extremes. 

I am not a BA fan, but I'll be honest, I'd lean more to his strategy than Vinny's.  I think the idea of avoiding chasing those big money deals on the opening days of free agency, where so many deals don't end up being worth the money spent, that we did under Vinny was a step in the right direction.   But Bruce just didn't do enough via free agency, and his smugness probably prevented it.

I love what the gm said, but I'll add that those glaring holes would preferably be filled by solid players, but ones that you can get on short, affordable contracts.  Donald Penn is a perfect example.  Someone to hold down the fort for a year or two so you don't force a bad draft pick.  No doubt that sucking to BPA strategy will yield best long term results, and BA often failed to fill glaring holes via FA.   Unfortunately we also have an owner who will force picks when the professionals know their is better value on the board, but that's a whole nother story.

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Murray wasnt quite as successful at A & M as he was at Oklahoma but i guess he counts.  The book isnt written on him yet

I agree with you, too early to tell on Murray.  I thought you were referencing Murray but was spacing on the name in your previous post, but i went back and re read it, and you are referring to Jalen hurts.   My bad

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I agree with you, too early to tell on Murray.  I thought you were referencing Murray but was spacing on the name in your previous post, but i went back and re read it, and you are referring to Jalen hurts.   My bad

Yeah i gotcha, my bad i was kinda vague.  

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Absolutely, and as usual, the ideal situation is somewhere between the two extremes. 

I am not a BA fan, but I'll be honest, I'd lean more to his strategy than Vinny's.  I think the idea of avoiding chasing those big money deals on the opening days of free agency, where so many deals don't end up being worth the money spent, that we did under Vinny was a step in the right direction.   But Bruce just didn't do enough via free agency, and his smugness probably prevented it.

I don't like either Vinny's or Bruce's approach in FA.     But I do like the idea of if possible not leave your top glaring need to be addressed in the draft if you can avoid it.

I like some of the LTs in the draft but wouldn't take them at #3 if that's where we end up.  I'd try to trade down.    If I am just looking at this purely on players, I am more jazzed about the receivers in the first than the tackles.  I do value the position of tackle over receiver.  Also, I like the depth at receiver if we end up with a 2nd round pick.

But heck lets say we are just talking O line.  If you sign someone like Bulaga in FA then you can take Jedrick Wills and upgrade RT, too.   Adding a marquee player in FA brings flexibility to the draft.  They should have plenty of cap room to do it. 

I admit I'd love to have one of these dudes Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs.  In the 2nd maybe Reagor, J. Jefferson, D. Smith.  I know there are other fish in the sea which I am sure I'd tout in the off season once I dive in more.  This could be a historic draft for WR, it wouldn't be fun not to be part of that party. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't like either Vinny's or Bruce's approach in FA.     But I do like the idea of if possible not leave your top glaring need to be addressed in the draft if you can avoid it.

I like some of the LTs in the draft but wouldn't take them at #3 if that's where we end up.  I'd try to trade down.    If I am just looking at this purely best on players, I am more jazzed about the receivers in the first than the tackles.  I do value the position of tackle over receiver.  Also, I like the depth at receiver if we end up with a 2nd round pick.

But heck lets say we are just talking O line.  If you sign someone like Bulaga in FA then you can take Jedrick Wills and upgrade RT, too.   Adding a marquee player in FA brings flexibility to the draft.  They should have plenty of cap room to do it. 

I admit I'd love to have one of these dudes Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs.  In the 2nd maybe Reagor, J. Jefferson, D. Smith.  I know there are other fish in the sea which I am sure I'd tout in the off season once I dive in more.  This could be a historic draft for WR, it wouldn't be fun not to be part of that party. 

The way ive always looked at it, you take a difference maker at the top of the draft.  A game changer.  Now its a shifting scale, but ultimately you have to change your team with that pick.  That can be an All American LT who is a multi year probowler, or a top flight WR that can change your offense.  Either way you dont want to use that pick to simply address a "need."  If you do, you find yourself settling.  I admit that sometimes those things align, which is great, but i cant agree with the mentality of "take the best LT on the board at your pick."  I only want to do that if that player is good enough.  Give me another stop gap at LT and take a stud at pretty much any position in the first, if the only LT on the board is not worth the pick we have.

There are also some really interesting T prospects who won't go near the top of the 1st. Some of them seem like projects, like Wanogho, Leatherwood. Or Little or Cosmi if they come out. 

I just don't see a T being decent value unless we win a few more games and screw up our draft position. 

I also would like to see Christian play some more at LT before the year is over.

Archived