Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

No but it convinces me that the Redskins made a massive reach. It's opinion. 

The Redskins have a big board set well in advance of the draft. Do you think they just opted to jump over 40 more highly rated players in order to grab Gibson a round early? Or do you think that he was a prime target of theirs at #66 that they likely had equally weighted with a couple of other players? 

Last year we heard the exact same pushback when McLaurin was drafted too early according to much of the board. 

Just now, dswerdlw said:

Yup, Swiss army knife guy. I see that Rivera compares him with McCaffery in Turner's scheme. So, I guess one needs to get past the labels of wide receiver and running back. Maybe we'll come up with a new position.  How about "Threat" or "SWAK" (SWiss Army Knife). I prefer "Threat."  Sounds cool.

Offensive weapon

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Apke was a great athlete who was not a good football player and that was obvious at the time of the pick. Workout warrior without instincts.

Gibson isn't like that, he's good. 

Being a Penn State fan, I remember the Skins drafting Apke and I was puzzled. He was billed as a special teams Ace with a chance to be a good safety if he developed. What's funny is that the Skins drafted Terry Mac to be a special teams Ace as well and he turned out to be a stud WR. What kind of philosophy did our old regime have when drafting these kids with special teams prowess in mind? 

From what I see out of RR, he wants athletes who are versatile and can play. That's what Gibson is...he is physical and can fly.

I actually saw him more as a WR and when I did mocks I used him as my 2nd WR in round 4 after going Edwards Or Pittman at 66 Because of the play making ability. I never drafted him thinking he’d stack up on the RB depth chart. And I assume that’s the case in reality. Probably a guy that goes down as a WR and you see us keeping 6 or 7 WRs and 4 RBs and he sits on the WR depth chart 

From Rotoworld.

Redskins selected Memphis WR Antonio Gibson with the No. 66 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reported last week that "only one team" viewed the versatile Gibson (6’0/228) as a wideout. It was apparently the Redskins. Gibson was underutilized at Memphis but arguably the most efficient player in the entire country (15.6 yards per touch). PFF credits him with 16 broken tackles on 33 carries and 17 broken tackles on 38 receptions. Nevertheless, his lack of total production (77 career offensive touches) makes him difficult to project. Gibson ran with power and elusiveness with the ball in his hands but is extremely raw. His vision is a potential concern as a running back, and he didn’t look like a natural receiver when he lined up in the slot, though his 4.39 speed makes him an intriguing, versatile depth option who has special teams experience. Gibson averaged an elite 28.0 yards on his 23 kickoff returns. Gibson is a high-upside weapon for an offense that was short on them in 2020. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/9629711

1 minute ago, Stormy said:

Dang, there went Dantzler. Vikings having a really solid draft. 

Yes they are, but they are still light on the offensive line and young in the secondary....I still think they screwed up by not dealing for Trent. We need picks and they've got like 14 of them....no way 14 rookies make their team.

5 minutes ago, 80's Fan said:

Gibsons highlights are very good. Speed, power, breaks tackles, endzone animal.

What's not to like here?

Nothing. Good player. His lack of having a true position likely made teams not sure how to look at him.

3 minutes ago, BTBIRD 227 said:

Don't know how Gibson will fit in the scheme for the Skins.

I would like to think Gibson is a hybrid player with a lot of speed.

Projected as a wide receiver . Maybe a kick and or punt returner as well as a slot receiver?  Hail

He will do the things Curtis Samuel did for Carolina. Motions, hand offs, traditional slot and maybe some traditional RB. He can do a lot. Was earlier than I thought he’d go but I love the pick.

He can return, too

6 minutes ago, 80's Fan said:

Gibsons highlights are very good. Speed, power, breaks tackles, endzone animal.

What's not to like here?

Speed and power combination is off the charts, but he's raw and doesn't have much of a history of production.  Just one year of major playing time and his usage as a receiver and runner was fairly light.  I think some teams felt he was caught between receiver and running back--not enough instincts and vision to be a full time back but not enough route running skill and polish to be a full time receiver.

But we'll figure out how to use him.  He'll be an all purpose weapon and H-Back/gadget/slot player for us.

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

He may have RB type abilities but, idk, he just LOOKS like a WR to me.  Anyone else?

He's built like a RB (you won't find many 6'0 225 WRs) and moves like a young Tevin Coleman kinda, a slasher. But he looks natural going deep too

Archived