Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

the more disappointed I’ll be when we pass on a QB 

You've been conditioned to expect the worst which is sad, but it's valid skepticism because it has been this front office's M.O. 

Got to keep allocating resources to QB until you solidify it, despite having used a 1st last draft. And it ain't solidified as of yet. 

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Anything other than a stud Olineman in the 1st round is a fail. 

At this point, we need high end talent at every position.  There isn't a single All Pro on this team without Trent.  We have awful leadership and have been totally drained of high end talent by the God awful drafting we did from 2013 to 2016.

****ing the dog 🐕 on our QB situation by letting Kirk walk for nothing and trading for and signing Alex Smith has really torched our team.  We're paying the piper for that disaster finally.  Time to fire the incompetent mother****ers who were responsible for that absolute disaster. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I really think Tua is a special talent to work with, he's having a phenomenal year so far. If we get the 1st overall pick I'd have a hard time trading down if I was a GM in our position. It would have to be an RG3 type of deal

The good news is, in this lost year, we can see DH play and evaluate him up close. Had Haskins stayed, he’d be in the top 3 conversation ... we have him already and will probably have the #1 pick as well. My Bruce Allen math says, we have two top 3 picks. 

27 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The good news is, in this lost year, we can see DH play and evaluate him up close. Had Haskins stayed, he’d be in the top 3 conversation ... we have him already and will probably have the #1 pick as well. My Bruce Allen math says, we have two top 3 picks. 

Problem is it will be hard to evaluate him given the ineptitude of the current offense (and coaching). It is more likely we'll wreck him or miss evaluate him and then pull the same stunt the Cardinals did with Rosen. I'd prefer he didn't play another down this season.

10 hours ago, nonniey said:

Problem is it will be hard to evaluate him given the ineptitude of the current offense (and coaching).

I would think we can get a good feel for him over the course of the season regardless of the above statement. If he has accuracy issues at the end of the season I would seriously consider taking a good QB after we take the baddest, bestest, greatest, meanest O lineman out there.😎

https://theathletic.com/1251341/2019/09/30/dane-bruglers-top-60-draft-board-seven-quarterbacks-crack-updated-list/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

1) Young

Tua

Okudah

Wirfs

Thomas

Herbert

Leatherwood

Jeudy

Epenesa

Jordan Love

55: Kenneth Murray

Dane Brugler of The Athletic has Ohio State junior CB Jeffrey Okudah ranked third on his updated Top-60 draft board.

Having made just one start in his first two seasons in Columbus, Okudah (6'1/199) wasn't brought up all that much by most draft analysts as a possible first-round pick before the season began. Brugler's the exception however, as he pegged the Ohio State junior as a player with top-10 potential in August. And Okudah, who picked off two passes in the Buckeyes' 48-7 win at Nebraska, has lived up to that hype. Brugler noted that Okudah's "blend of length, physicality and read/react quickness are really impressive," which is why the cornerback could be the first at his position off the board next spring if he turns pro.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 30, 2019, 10:41 AM ET
  •  

*Essang Bassey

We need the bottom to come out on this thing.  We need a new coaching staff and FO structure and top five picks in each round plus Trent's ass booted out the door.

And unfortunately we have to rebuild the defense again.  This season is for figuring out which pieces are keepers and which are expendable and have trade value.

- Payne and Settle are definite keepers.

- Allen is a keeper.

- Sweat is hopefully a keeper too.

- Dunbar is a keeper

That's what I've got.

These are the good role players I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace, but that we could certainly upgrade if we get the chance:

- Nicholson and Collins

- Ioannidis

- Kerrigan should be traded

- Everyone else on the defense is completely replaceable.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:20 PM, volsmet said:

Agreed. Corner & OL were two positions said to be weak a few months ago, but they’re both loaded.

We seem to be the favorites for #1 overall. Trading Trent & Trading down could make us competitive quickly with an overhaul of the coaching staff. I imagine this job becomes more attractive to FO & coaching talent with pick 1.

And if that can bring in respected FO and coaching talent some FA's might buy in. If FA began today I doubt top talent would even consider a multi year Redskin offer.

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They've got #11 from Stanford as a top six pick?

Eh... I think there might be some bad groupthink going on at draftnetwork.  That guy is not that good.  I get that he's big and can play the ball, but he is stiff hipped and trips over his own feet trying to transition from his backpedal.  No click and close twitch either.  He's a big, goofy-footed corner with balance issues.  He isn't even close to being as good as Diggs or Okudah IMO.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And unfortunately we have to rebuild the defense again.  This season is for figuring out which pieces are keepers and which are expendable and have trade value.

- Payne and Settle are definite keepers.

- Allen is a keeper.

- Sweat is hopefully a keeper too.

- Dunbar is a keeper

That's what I've got.

I noticed some Redskins fans on twitter are saying Young should be off the table based on other needs, etc.  And yeah on a need basis, Andrew Thomas, is needed more than than Chase Young.  And I love what I've seen from Thomas.  But the more I watch Chase Young, that dude looks like a game wrecker and I want him.   If he plays in the pros like he did in college, that's a tough player for me to pass on if we have a chance to get him.

I just watched a couple of Young's games.  And that dude is on almost every play creating pressure or at the very least making the QB uncomfortable.  He's fast, explosive, can get low with really good bend and can dip around blockers, has a high motor, knows how to close and finish the sack.  He seems decent against the run if the play comes his way but also can get washed out of run plays.  They even dropped him a couple of times into coverage.  He's probably my top early man crush.   I didn't really study his hands yet but from what I can tell, he has a wicked swim move, strong hands.   He doesn't just run by guys in an arc (though he does love to do that) but also has slippery hands and can work through the inside, too.    Lot to love IMO. 

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I noticed some Redskins fans on twitter are saying Young should be off the table based on other needs, etc.  And yeah on a need basis, Andrew Thomas, is needed more than than Chase Young.  And I love what I've seen from Thomas.  But the more I watch Chase Young, that dude looks like a game wrecker and I want him.   If he plays in the pros like he did in college, that's a tough player for me to pass on if we have a chance to get him.

I just watched a couple of Young's games.  And that dude is on almost every play creating pressure or at the very least making the QB uncomfortable.  He's fast, explosive, can get low with really good bend and can dip around blockers, has a high motor, knows how to close and finish the sack.  He seems decent against the run if the play comes his way but also can get washed out of run plays.  They even dropped him a couple of times into coverage.  He's probably my top early man crush.   I didn't really study his hands yet but from what I can tell, he has a wicked swim move, strong hands.   He doesn't just run by guys in an arc (though he does love to do that) but also has slippery hands and work through the inside, too.    Lot to love IMO.  

I agree with you 100%.  I love Thomas's game but I think it's clear that Young is a step above everyone else except Tua.   When you pick top three (Young's draft range), it means you're god awful and you need to be going BPA all the way.  You don't get better by passing on Chase Youngs to fill needs.  I think all of Young's flaws are workable and that he's so special that he has DPOY type upside.  I'm struggling to think of any circumstance where I would draft someone else if he was available.  I don't see one.

My take on his skill set is:

- Decent run/misdirection recognition but not elite, takes a beat to process his keys

- Snap quickness is as good as it gets.

- Tremendous joint flexion.

- Balance is elite and it shows up on flat outside rushes and zone drops.

- Great pass-rushing instincts.  Ferocious closer who has that elite top gear to finish the rush.

- Efficient, violent hands.  Good length and prototype build.

- Functional power is excellent.  Can make his turn with a tackle on his back and work back inside with counters. 

-  Good force player.  Shouldn't be an issue at the PoA in the NFL.  Could be a very good pursuit and spill player.  Motor is great.

I'm completely sold on him.  He's a face of the franchise type defensive player who could lead a dominant unit.  And I love the potential synergy he could have with Montez Sweat and Jon Allen and Daron Payne.  Great talent and a great fit for us, he's our best case scenario IMO.

I've got to watch the Iowa guys and Lucas Niang and the kid from Auburn, but I've got to say, I'm higher on the CB and WR prospects in this class than the OLs.  I think there are a couple of OLs who are good but flawed in some way at the top of this class, and Thomas is the only one who has seemed special to me so far.  I think there are multiple special corners and receivers who don't really have any major flaws.

If we're going to factor in need though, our two highest graded players on PFF are Dunbar and McLauren.  Indeed, they're being graded at a Pro-Bowl level (All Pro in Dunbar's case but definitely some small sample size theater going on there), and the next closest guy is Scherff, who is grading as about a fringe Pro-bowler.  After them, Settle and Payne are the only ones grading out even as good.  Everyone else is average to bad.  So maybe we can get by with lesser talent at receiver and corner than at any of our other positions.  But you never know how these performances sustain themselves long term, and we could certainly use more than one guy at corner and receiver.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm completely sold on him.  He's a face of the franchise type defensive player who could lead a dominant unit.  And I love the potential synergy he could have with Montez Sweat and Jon Allen and Daron Payne.  Great talent and a great fit for us, he's our best case scenario IMO.

Me, too.  The dude looks like a K. Mack, Von Miller caliber really special pass rusher.  I don't think you can pass up on a guy like that if you have a chance to take him.    Almost seems too good to be true.    It would be front and center in my mind that would make me feel better about this awful season at least thus far. 

If they have the 2nd pick in the draft, I am running up to the podium and taking him.  I think it's a no brainer.  It would be a stroke of luck to get a player that good.  I often vacillate on who I want.  But if they have the 2nd pick in the draft, I doubt I vacillate one bit. 

Archived