Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

0-4 is certainly a good start. But I do fear that with our weaker back-half of the season schedule, that we could stumble our way into a 5-11 finish, esp. if Gruden is canned and someone like O'Connell and Ray Horton take over play-calling duties and turn things around a bit and light a fire. There's a lot of talent on this team, and it's clearly being undercoached and underperforming.

The OL presumably will improve as the season goes on. Terry and the young WRs will progress. The defense absolutely HAS to improve. Bruce Allen getting canned could lead to Trent coming back ... if we even want him. And Guice returning at some point could provide a spark in the run-game.

Personally I see 4-12. And that could get us #2 ... or it could get us #6. Either way, you get some serious talent at #6. But I think this team needs an overhaul of top-tier talent and holding a lottery ticket in a premier QB draft would really pay dividends. Sometimes being bad at the right time could be the spark to turning things around. And I actually applaud what Miami is doing. They see a chance to suck for 1-2 years and really reload talent to make a run when Tom retires and the AFC East opens up a bit more. I do like the last couple drafts that we've had and think there are some good talent evaluators in the front office, and think we have a lot of talent on defense ... so it's a bit of a pipe-dream to think we could get #1. But losing to NE and Miami would go a long-way to getting there I guess.

I personally don't see more than 4 wins as of now. One thing that I think you aren't considering in the above is the injuries that can and will happen before the season finishes.

Factor that in and maybe we have 1 or 2 wins max and are probably picking 2nd or 3rd after Denver and Miami, with Arizona playing spoiler and maybe slipping in there as well.

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I'm not completely ruling out QB either... It's too rich for it not to be considered. We may very well end up #1 or #2 pick. Steelers got a win last night and the Jets will get a few when Darnold is back. It comes down to the Miami game

Tua is the only one who could be a better prospect than Haskins was IMO.  If we completely clean house and get the #1 overall pick and the brand new FO and coaching staff fall in love with Tua, then I'll understand picking him and wasting Haskins.  I wouldn't love it, but I could accept it.  But that is the only circumstance where I could accept drafting a QB in round one 2020.  If anyone from the this regime is left, they do not get a mulligan.  I am sick and tired of seeing this team draft promising QB prospects only to ruin them.  And I don't believe the QB prospect exists that could succeed within the circumstances we create for our guys.  I want our organization to get on the same ****ing page about their QBs for once, and I want to see them put in an honest to God effort to develop them.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love the potential of this WR class both in the first round range as well as later on in the class.  This feels like a good year to double dip on the position.  I'm thinking the three guys you named plus at least two Bama receivers plus Wallace and Raegor as top 30-40 guys.  That is quite a lot talent and the day two and three guys from USC and Texas are also good prospects.

But a lot of the depth will come down to which underclassmen declare.  I can't remember if Waddle is draft eligible but either way I think he'll stay in school.  And I could see one of Smith or Ruggs staying too.  So looking ahead to 2021, you'd have perhaps two of the Bama guys plus Justyn Ross, Rondale Moore, Ja'Marr Chase, and Washington from Wake Forest in that first round class.  If we miss out on the very top end of this WR class, then next year is going to be a really really good top end class too.  Maybe even better truth be told.

I haven't watched his cut ups yet, but I was watching Shenault during a game and I was struggling to come up with who he reminded me of.  Boldin?  I don't want to keep comparing everyone to DeAndre Hopkins, but maybe a little of him?

I completely forgot about Wallace, he’s phenomenal. I don’t know if Reagor is a WR or just an athlete, I haven’t seen him enough, but that kind of weapon is what’s changing games in this nfl. 

I also love the WR from Liberty & I really like Vaughns & Pittman from USC. Claypool, Collin Johnson, Higgins, Gandy-Golden, & Terry are all huge... I’m interested in how those guys will test, I can’t get a good read on Claypool’s speed, but he certainly gave UGA plenty of issues late in that game.

Schwartz, from Auburn, is an interesting prospect for 2021. DH can get the ball on a wr as quickly as anyone with his arm & release... get the ball in the hands of some elite speed & we can cause problems that teams with less gifted QBs can’t. That’s the big advantage to DH, the ball getting there a step sooner, to a guy who is a step faster than the defender, is a TD threat anywhere on the field.

25 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Schwartz, from Auburn, is an interesting prospect for 2021. DH can get the ball on a wr as quickly as anyone with his arm & release... get the ball in the hands of some elite speed & we can cause problems that teams with less gifted QBs can’t. That’s the big advantage to DH, the ball getting there a step sooner, to a guy who is a step faster than the defender, is a TD threat anywhere on the field. 

Nice, some good names to watch.

Regarding the point you made in the above paragraph, DeVonta Smith and Ja'Marr Chase are who you're looking for then.  That middle of the field speed is unmatched.  They hit that top gear in the open field and pull away from everyone.  Calvin Ridley-style receivers.

I just watched the Stanford--Oregon State game and #17 on Oregon State might be someone to watch, on the strength of embarrassing #11 Adebo.  I don't know what year he is, I hadn't heard of him before this game.  He's not physical and he looks skinny, but he is cat quick and he has quite a pair of hands.  His TD catch was amazing.  The difference between a TD and a redzone INT.

Their RB #21 Pierce had a really good day too.

Speaking of that game, it produced one of my favorite plays of the season so far: Colby Parkinson throwing a key fourth quarter touchdown to his QB. 

Look at that freaking adjustment to the throw and then to high point it and pull it in after the bobble.

Sign him to play WR?

Ohio State Defenders

It’s no stretch to say that Ohio State’s defense currently has the two best defenders in the country. There’s little doubt that Chase Young sits atop said list after yet another unblockable performance against Nebraska. He racked up five more pressures on only 11 pass-rushing snaps for a 96.8 pass-rushing grade. The junior is approaching rarified air, as his 96.5 pass-rushing grade on the season would shatter the previous PFF college record of 94.4 set by Josh Allen last season. We’re talking Myles Garrett-level physical tools with polish and production on another level from what we saw from Garrett at Texas A&M.

The lesser-known name on the Ohio State defense — although that’s changing — is

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tua is the only one who could be a better prospect than Haskins was IMO.  If we completely clean house and get the #1 overall pick and the brand new FO and coaching staff fall in love with Tua, then I'll understand picking him and wasting Haskins.  I wouldn't love it, but I could accept it.  But that is the only circumstance where I could accept drafting a QB in round one 2020.  If anyone from the this regime is left, they do not get a mulligan.  I am sick and tired of seeing this team draft promising QB prospects only to ruin them.  And I don't believe the QB prospect exists that could succeed within the circumstances we create for our guys.  I want our organization to get on the same ****ing page about their QBs for once, and I want to see them put in an honest to God effort to develop them.

People want Herbert, but Oregon would, undoubtedly, be undefeated with your boy at QB. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nice, some good names to watch.

Regarding the point you made in the above paragraph, DeVonta Smith and Ja'Marr Chase are who you're looking for then.  That middle of the field speed is unmatched.  They hit that top gear in the open field and pull away from everyone.  Calvin Ridley-style receivers.

I just watched the Stanford--Oregon State game and #17 on Oregon State might be someone to watch, on the strength of embarrassing #11 Adebo.  I don't know what year he is, I hadn't heard of him before this game.  He's not physical and he looks skinny, but he is cat quick and he has quite a pair of hands.  His TD catch was amazing.  The difference between a TD and a redzone INT.

Their RB #21 Pierce had a really good day too.

Speaking of that game, it produced one of my favorite plays of the season so far: Colby Parkinson throwing a key fourth quarter touchdown to his QB. 

Look at that freaking adjustment to the throw and then to high point it and pull it in after the bobble.

Sign him to play WR?

Why I love the thread, I don’t have a clue who Chase is, a new player to watch with Steve’s recommendation.

43B0A875-8254-4FB4-A23A-667122B0EDF4.gif

I haven't seen any of his other games, just noticed him starring in the Stanford game.  I didn't realize he was a top prospect.  I also didn't realize he was 6'4.  He's a lanky player who is unbelievably quick for someone that tall.  I thought he was around 6' just based on the way he moved laterally.

Maybe I shouldn't kill Adebo for getting schooled by this guy.  Then again, this is the kind of match up Adebo needed to win to justify his own standing as a top prospect and instead he got schooled.

Clemson is suffering from a leadership void in the wake of losing that defensive line.  And fact is, Lawrence isn't playing well outside of the way he's run the ball.  He's worked a new dimension to his game onto the field but the offense as a whole has fallen out of sync and he's just missing reads and throws.

Watched some cut ups of Isaiah Hodges.  My bottom line take on him right now is:

- Huge catch radius

- Excellent lateral speed for his size

- Body control is outstanding

- Spectacular hands

- Versatile.  Whole route tree is open to him

- Hot and cold motor

- Lacks precision in routes.  Rounds off inside stems.

- Gets pressed regularly and the outside release is inconsistent

- Physicality really ebbs and flows

He's a really good natural talent with raw skill levels giving up and down effort for a dead end team.  His quarterback is pretty weak and he gets to show his ability to dig out inaccurate throws regularly.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting that they have Adams in the top 10, I don’t know the qualifications of the author, but if Adams is back to his pre-injuries level then that provides another truly elite prospect to the class. Adams wasn’t nearly as dynamic last year as he was 2 years ago, but he was an easy first rounder then & I hope he’s got that movement back. 

The blessing about our season being over is we have more time to get into day 3 guys. I’m still holding out some hope that we can get a gathering at the combine or Sr bowl, that would be a great time imo. 

06C863F9-3EC7-41AC-959B-B017D41DA13C.gif

28 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The blessing about our season being over is we have more time to get into day 3 guys. I’m still holding out some hope that we can get a gathering at the combine or Sr bowl, that would be a great time imo. 

The only thing that spoils it a little for me is not having a 2nd rounder though I was cool with them getting Sweat.  But that can be fixed with change to spare if they trade Trent.  Them trading Trent would do so much to improve my mood about the state of the team. 

Yeah am about to go all in on the draft.  I have watched my share of college games this year but haven't really dived into studying prospects much.  But am about to start.  It will keep me sane through the season. 😀

On another note, Cooley's latest podcast is interesting.  He mapped in his view the issues with the defense among them he thinks Payne in spite of being billed as a nose and can play nose -- should be shooting gaps more and play one gap.   He dived in deep into coverages and more.  I was only half paying attention so I got to re-listen.   Cooley isn't always right but he spends a lot of time watching Redskin film. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The only thing that spoils it a little for me is not having a 2nd rounder though I was cool with them getting Sweat.  But that can be fixed with change to spare if they trade Trent.  Them trading Trent would do so much to improve my mood about the state of the team. 

Yeah am about to go all in on the draft.  I have watched my share of college games this year but haven't really dived into studying prospects much.  But am about to start.  It will keep me sane through the season. 😀

On another note, Cooley's latest podcast is interesting.  He mapped in his view the issues with the defense among them he thinks Payne in spite of being billed as a nose and can play nose -- should be shooting gaps more and play one gap.   He dived in deep into coverages and more.  I was only half paying attention so I got to re-listen.   Cooley isn't always right but he spends a lot of time watching Redskin film. 

No 2nd rounder is brutal, particularly for our fun here. Hopefully we land pick #1, move down, and trade Trent...oh the fun we’d have then.

Payne is a 1 gap nickel interior dl or 3-4 end, that was obvious in his college film despite the experts each knocking his pass rush while lauding his ability to stiff the run - he’s the opposite of everything the experts thought him to be, Vita is the nt.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, volsmet said:

I’m far more bullish on Payne than the experts. I believe his strength is in getting up field, which is the opposite of all scouting reports you find online.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:30 AM, volsmet said:

Which numbers are more impressive? I disagree that Allen is in another class & that Payne didnt show top 10 draft potential before the playoff. He was absolutely dominant v FSU. I enjoy pff, but I disagree with their thoughts on Payne. As always, we shall see. I was irate when we took Payne over Derwin, but it forced me to watch every snap of his & after doing so I dont see what scouts dont love about the guy. Hes one of the most uncomfortable assignments I have seen in a long time. Hes going to annihilate people on his way to becoming a pro bowler very early in his career. Its hard to overstate how much I hated this pick, but I was basing most of my thoughts about Payne on the utter lack of enthusiasm about him from places like pff. I saw him struggle, namely v LSU, but he just turned 21 & has rare explosion for a 311lb kid. 

On 5/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, volsmet said:

Payne with a nice 3rd down pass rush vs Col St. The best part of his game is getting up the field, imo.

paynecst.gif

Sometimes the still show things a bit better than a gif.

Screenshot_20180524-174100.png

Screenshot_20180524-174108.png

Screenshot_20180524-174115.png

Screenshot_20180524-174122.png

Grown Man just abusing other large humans. Payne put that man in the dirt; this is the quintessential Payne gif imo. Strong low, strong high, quick, violent, overwhelming.

paynedomination.gif

Mo Payne, No Gain

paynecol.gif

Heavy work

paynework.gif

payne3.gif

Something Payne always does, he gets his hands up in passing lanes & here he negates a quick easy first down pass. 

paynehands.gif

Gets up the field vs the run

Screenshot_20180524-201802.png

Screenshot_20180524-201807.png

Screenshot_20180524-201818.png

Screenshot_20180524-201825.png

Drives the guard into the backfield & makes the play

Screenshot_20180524-201904.png

Screenshot_20180524-201909.png

Screenshot_20180524-201916.png

Screenshot_20180524-201924.png

Screenshot_20180524-201934.png

Payne pass rush causes INT

Screenshot_20180524-202256.png

Screenshot_20180524-202300.png

Screenshot_20180524-202305.png

Screenshot_20180524-202310.png

payneint.gif

Some interior DL are guys who set & others disrupt, Payne is a disruptive force of DC beastliness.

I said he’d have a better rookie grade from pff than Chubb, and I believe he did, but I’m not 100% on that. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Put him next to his Iowa compadre & let them whoop a.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Dolphins game is looming as a big one.  I think they are sleeping on Denver, their schedule isn't easy. 

Denver should have won a couple games though, they’re not an embarrassment to the game like the fighting Snyder’s. 

34 minutes ago, volsmet said:

No 2nd rounder is brutal, particularly for our fun here. Hopefully we land pick #1, move down, and trade Trent...oh the fun we’d have then.

I find myself in agreement with you and the others that this is our best case scenario rather than picking Chase Young.

Just thinking about the depth of corner and receiver talent, two late picks in the first and picks in the early second could really infuse our skill groups with talent plus there should be a lot of available talent at guard and center in a range of about 20-50.  Maybe find a solution at linebacker.  And I think we can find a second tier tackle that will get the job done for us in that range too.

37 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Put him next to his Iowa compadre & let them whoop a.

I remember Scherff's weight room videos were insane too.  Where the heck does Iowa find these guys?  Their strength program must be ridiculous.

And they can always run too.

I haven't evaluated Wirfs yet mostly because I haven't been able to find a good Iowa game on TV.  Something else always on.  But I'm blown away by the stuff that's been posted in here.  Putting him and Scherff on that right side would be an insane amount of strength and versatlity.  But something tells me we're not going to be able trade down if we want Wirfs.

Another potential pairing with Scherff that I like is Biadasz at center.  I view him as a major upgrade over Roullier in the run game.  If you had him in the A gaps you could run Scherff whenever you want because you could trust Biadasz with any nose.  Trade Trent for even a late first and you could come away with a Wirfs/Scherff/Biadasz line that could run right on anyone.

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

Denver should have won a couple games though, they’re not an embarrassment to the game like the fighting Snyder’s. 

Yeah I watched the end of both of their close loses.    The thing is though all the zero win teams are on a collision course to face each other and if I recall multiple times.  Denver won't have the benefit of playing those bad teams.

I am trying to prepare myself emotionally for the Dolphins game.  I am going with a mix of Redskins-Dolphin fans.   It's tough for me to root against my team in real time as its going down.  And I won't change I think on that front.  And if the Redskins lose that one, I am going to take a ribbing for a long time from friends and some of my family who are Dolphin fans.  But at the same time, I think I'll feel a bit giddy if they lose.  Imagine all the draft capital the Dolphins would have to accumulate to trade up with us to land their beloved Tua?  The next game after that which worries me is the Jets -- if they lose to the Dolphins and Jets I think they'd be in the drivers seat for the #1 pick. 

I don't know if anyone here is paying attention to Jordan Love?  I haven't.  But looks like he's getting some really good buzz.  If both he and Tua end up hot commodities -- then we got a 2012, 2016 style draft and can get a bounty maybe with either the #1 or #2 pick.

I love what I've seen from Chase Young but yeah am more than cool with trading down in this draft.   But if they decide to hold their pick, that's who I'd want -- at least right now based on what I've looked at which granted hasn't been much. 

Pff is following Steve’s posts.

Oregon State junior WR Isaiah Hodgins earned a first down or a touchdown on all 10 receptions in last Saturday's game against Stanford, according to Pro Football Focus.

It would be an understatement to call Hodgins productive. Every single time Hodgins touched the ball versus Stanford, he either moved the sticks or put up points for the Beavers. Following that performance, Hodgins (6'4/209) now leads the country in receptions resulting in first downs with 27. No other player has more than 24 such catches.

Oct 2, 2019, 8:17 PM ET
  •  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know if anyone here is paying attention to Jordan Love?  I haven't.  But looks like he's getting some really good buzz.  If both he and Tua end up hot commodities -- then we got a 2012, 2016 style draft and can get a bounty maybe with either the #1 or #2 pick. 

I haven't watched Jordan Love, but is Tony Pauline any good?  I don't know his background, but his takes in that article are pretty terrible.  Chase Young didn't face a good offensive tackle when he made Trey Adams look like a future accountant?  He's beating the crap out of everyone.  This is not a match up dependent player.

Also Pauline is confusing being a good pass rushing technician with being a good football player in Nick Bosa's case.  They're distinctly different things.  Bosa is a great athlete and great technician with mediocre football instincts and awareness.

Josh Allen is the example of a mediocre technician who is a great football player.

Archived