Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Going back to the WR results from yesterday, Hodgins had almost the same measurements as Higgins:

Isaiah Hodgins - WR - 6-3 5/8" - 210 lbs - Hands = 9 7/8" - Arms = 33 1/8" - Wingspan = 80 4/8"

Tee Higgins - WR - 6-3 5/8" - 216 lbs - Hands = 9 2/8" - Arms = 34 1/8" - Wingspan = 81"

Hodgins is getting slept on big time.  Watching in real time during the season, there was never a question for me that he was a better player than Aiyuk, for example.  He's giving off a strong Kenny Golloday vibe right now.

Collin Johnson has a huge frame too.  I knew he was big, but didn't realize he was that big.  Pittman measured huge too, which is a little surprising given how smooth of an athlete he is.  I think those two and Juwan Johnson are the biggest and burliest receivers in the class.

Juwan Johnson plays big.  That guy is almost a tight end.  Good athlete for his size too, he's one of the more fascinating seventh to UDFA prospects in the class and I'd rather have him than Binjamin Victor.  I would like to get both him and Josh Nurse into our camp to see what they can do.

The lack of Isaiah Hodgins noise doesn't make sense to me. I'd be happy as hell to have him in the 4th/5th as a Tee Higgins consolation prize. Tee can get a bit more down field separation and has better YAC, but Isaiah catches everything and has one of the highest contested catch rate % of the class.

(Per PFF)

Tee Higgin's

2019 Ovr Grd: 90.5 Snaps: 551 Rec-Trgt: 59/87 Yards: 1167 Yards Per Rec.: 19.8 Td's: 13

2018 Ovr Grd: 87.7 Snaps: 551 Rec-Trgt: 59/94 Yards: 936 Yards Per Rec.: 15.9 Td's: 12

Recvng Grade: 89.8 Yards Route Run: 3.67 Drop Rate: 8.6% Contested Catch Rate: 55% Deep Grade: 94.5

Isaiah Hodgins

2019 Ovr Grd: 90.1 Snaps: 794 Rec-Trgt: 86/118 Yards: 1164 Yards Per Rec.: 13.5 Td's: 13

2018 Ovr Grd: 84.6 Snaps: 666 Rec-Trgt: 59/80 Yards: 876 Yards Per Rec.: 14.8 Td's: 5

Recvng Grade: 89.8 Yards Route Run: 2.68 Drop Rate: 1.1% Contested Catch Rate: 59.1% Deep Grade: 90.5  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Wonder how much some of you like Zierlien’s comparison for Dwayne Haskins

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-nfl-com-compares-dwayne-haskins-drew-bledsoe/amp/

For the record, I think that’s awful, too.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:44 PM, volsmet said:

Haskins has some Drew Bledsoe, which reminds me, does anyone remember how bad Drew’s college stats were, brutal.

😕

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

This is why I'm not going crazy about the RB class like I am with the WRs.  As much as I like a bunch of these runners, the only guys in this class who have the same kind of upside as Guice and Love are Swift and Taylor IMO.  They're going to go too early in the draft for us.

That's why I'm eyeing that sixth to seventh round range, looking for a power back.  Low cost insurance for if Love or Guice have setbacks.  I'm hoping someone surprisingly good like Benjamin or Moss falls because they ran slow.  If not, I think Kelly and/or Dillon will be there.  I'd be happy with one of them.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The difference between them as prospects is not that big.  He's gotten guys wrong before (Baker Mayfield vis a vis Sam Darnold), but he's gotten the studs from the past two years right: Tua, Burrow, Kyler Murray, and Haskins.  Tua is a marginal upgrade over Haskins.

Who is the better of the two?

He he did get Conor Cook over Mahomes. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is why I'm not going crazy about the RB class like I am with the WRs.  As much as I like a bunch of these runners, the only guys in this class who have the same kind of upside as Guice and Love are Swift and Taylor IMO.  They're going to go too early in the draft for us.

That's why I'm eyeing that sixth to seventh round range, looking for a power back.  Low cost insurance for if Love or Guice have setbacks.  I'm hoping someone surprisingly good like Benjamin or Moss falls because they ran slow.  If not, I think Kelly and/or Dillon will be there.  I'd be happy with one of them.

Me, too.  The only thing though IMO this draft is sneaky deep even in the late rounds at WR and TE.  I know to some it sounds crazy to tout TE but to me its a wacky position in this draft.  There are no A listers but IMO a ton of B and C plus kind of guys.  I am a BPA guy.  However, going with mocks right now (granted they might be wildly off) it seems like we got to take our corner in the third.  I am almost as fired up about the corners in this draft than I am about WRs.    And I am not adverse to taking two WRs or two TE's if they strongly fit BPA.  Arguably we could use two TEs and two Wrs or at least we do pre FA. 

10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Man. It’s a breath of fresh air not hearing what dumb **** Bruce would likely have to say today at the combine 😂😂😂 i like Kyle smith a lot better 

Agreed.  And as much as I love Doug the player, I'm happy he's no longer up there telegraphing our needs to the entire world.

On 1/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, volsmet said:

Tua reminds me of Kellen Moore at times, he’s better, but has Moorish qualities, the ball seems to be in the air forever, I expect a safety to be waiting on it, but he hits Jeudy in stride every time. Of course, in the nfl, he won’t have better players, at every position, than his opponents — that said, a tight window is a tight window & he’s remarkable with his accuracy; I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anyone quite as special with the deep ball, but I don’t know how often he made those passes under any duress. One thing I did notice about Lock, there were a lot of drops, and many of his best throws were with pressure on him relatively quickly. He gets knocked for his completion %, but prudently throwing a ball away is a feature of the Missouri offense, he has to throw a screen or two in the dirt each game, unfortunately he didn’t take the humble approach in the rain v SC, when he threw a pick 6 on another Missouri screen that was predictable. Incidentally, he had 3 TDS dropped in that game. He also completed 3 throws @ Bama that couldn’t have had more than a 4% chance of being completed.

I don’t have any concerns about the ghost of RG3, I’d rather bring Rg3 back than draft someone we don’t love in round 1. I don’t fear Lock because of Ramsey, I don’t fear Kyler because of Robert. Griffin was brilliant, his ego was his undoing imo, I’d be fine with Washington making that trade again — Stl got nearly nothing out of those picks, the draft is never a certainty, if you think you’ve spotted a transcendent talent at qb, get him.

For me, I’m trading back to 2021 and building my franchise around Lawrence. That’s the guy I’ve liked since summer 2016. For that reason, I’d be fine with drafting & starting Grier for 2 years.

If Dillon runs a 4.4 he might propel himself into the 3rd-4th round or maybe even better, that would be insane at his size.  I just watched one game of his and he didn't look to me  like a 4.4 guy but you can't always tell. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/25/21152222/nfl-combine-most-to-gain

There are a couple of runaway beer truck–type backs to keep an eye out for in this group, too. Boston College’s AJ Dillon is at the top of that list: The massive 6-foot, 250-pound runner came into the 2019 season running a 4.4-second 40 with a reported 40-inch vertical. He’s not quite on Derrick Henry’s level as an overall player, but Dillon is big and can move―like, really move―and that will pique the interest of plenty of teams. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

You might be called a genius, but not know how to use OJ Howard.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At least Hunter seems conscious of the idea that he needs to improve his blocking, at almost 250 pounds now, curious to see what he runs.

Obviously these guys know what twitter scouts eat up; Nothing makes a twitter scout feel more alpha-footy than talking blocking. 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Dillon runs a 4.4 he might propel himself into the 3rd-4th round or maybe even better, that would be insane at his size.  I just watched one game of his and he didn't look to me  like a 4.4 guy but you can't always tell. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/25/21152222/nfl-combine-most-to-gain

There are a couple of runaway beer truck–type backs to keep an eye out for in this group, too. Boston College’s AJ Dillon is at the top of that list: The massive 6-foot, 250-pound runner came into the 2019 season running a 4.4-second 40 with a reported 40-inch vertical. He’s not quite on Derrick Henry’s level as an overall player, but Dillon is big and can move―like, really move―and that will pique the interest of plenty of teams. 

Maybe he runs a 4.1 with 4.6 tape? 

What PFF’s analytics say about the 2020 wide receiver prospects

Major takeaways about a loaded group...

By Michael Kist@MichaelKistNFL  Feb 25, 2020, 8:42am EST

With that in mind, what follows are some of the major takeaways I had about the wide receiver class after reading through it all. All quotes come from Mike Renner, PFF’s lead draft analyst and friend of the BGN podcast feed...

DROPSIES: KJ Hamler, Penn State

For a team that suffered the highest frequency of deep ball drops like the Eagles, the proposition of adding Hamler to that mix is a risky one. Hamler let 12 catchable balls hit the deck in 2019 for a drop rate of 16.9% (t-321). Pair that with a below average contested catch rate of 36.4% and you can see why I’d be hesitant on adding the dangerous but inconsistent Penn State product.

SURE-HANDED: Henry Ruggs III, Alabama

The opposite of Hamler, the man with the 10 1/8” paws is as sure-handed as they come. In his three-year stint at Alabama, Ruggs dropped only five total passes and finished off 2019 with only one drop and a 2.4% drop rate. Ruggs was his most efficient in the intermediate area of the field, hauling in 14 of 18 passes for 2 touchdowns for a passer rating when targeted of 155.8 (4th).

YAKETY YAC: Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State

Aiyuk was 8th in the country for screen yards (241) and was targeted as such due to his tremendous ability after the catch. His 10.9 YAC average was also 8th in the country, which incentivized the Sun Devils to get the ball into Aiyuk’s hands with room to operate.

SHALLOW WATERS: Quartney Davis, Texas A&M

Davis is plenty fluid and quick on film, which served him well as a slot receiver, but what about the deep game?

“Of his 99 catches in his career, only six came 20-plus yards downfield. One of the reasons may be that he struggled to get off press coverage and as such played in the slot a ton.”

In 2019, Davis only caught one “deep” pass for 29 yards. This raises a similar question to one we had with OSU WR Parris Campbell, who only caught two deep passes for 53 yards in 2018. Is the player to blame or is it all on the scheme and what they were asked to do?

STAND-OUT SLOT: Devin Duvernay, Texas

With Nelson Agholor gone, the Eagles have plenty of slot reps on the table. Duvernay experience a boom in production when he went from outside to inside in 2019. His 104 receptions and 1,387 yards from the slot both rank 2nd in the country. The only player with more slot receptions and yards was LSU’s Justin Jefferson.

Unlike the aforementioned Quartney Davis, working primarily from the slot didn’t hurt Duvernay’s deep ball production. He hauled in 12 deep receptions (t-21st) for 432 yards (t-28th), in part thanks to a 60% contested catch rate.

SHAKE IT OFF: Jauan Jennings, Tennessee

Coming in at 6’3 1/8”, 215 pounds, the talented Jennings was a nightmare to bring down with the ball in his hands. Jennings led the nation for broken tackles among wide receivers, shaking loose of an absurd 30 attempts. That’s four more than second place, with Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb shaking 26 folk in 2019. Jennings’ Combine interviews will be important to his stock, as there are concerns about his maturity.

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES: Jalen Reagor

If you’re hesitant on Reagor due to a serious step back in production from his sophomore to junior year, don’t be. Reagor was essentially the same, dangerous threat, but the dudes responsible for getting him the rock were abysmal.

GETTING RIGHT: Denzel Mims, Baylor

After a 2017 campaign of 61-1,087-8, Mims took a step back in 2018, totaling a less appealing 55-794-8 stat line. That’s not too shabby, but the big concern were his hands due to his 11 drops of 66 catchable balls. Returning to school after the disappointing season, Mims’ 2019 campaign went much better (66-1,015-12). He also dropped his drop rate nearly in half followed by turning heads as the big winner during Senior Bowl practices.

The sky is the limit for Mims, whose comparison to Braylon Edwards is apt for both the right and wrong reasons.

5 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

So back and forth on the #2...

I think I have made up my mind though...

looking at our total 2020 draft picks, then looking at our 3-13 record it’s time for a major revamp on a 3 year plan, not a one season plan...

Here is what I think will end up happening

As much as I would LOVE to get Chase Young, we lose to much picking him. Way to much matter of fact. 
You have to factor in what his value is without leaving out what your losing taking him...

is he really worth losing two potential extra first rounders? Plus the jelly...like maybe a second, and a couple 4ths? 
for the record, I think for Miami to move up they have to offer 

5-18 and a 2021 first...plus jelly

So again CY worth passing on all that? i say no...we have to many needs.

And, is LB a need at number 5, after we trade down...

I say no to that to. we have a future stud LB...don’t need two, with all the other holes

As much as it pains me to say this...@#5 the redskins need to take the best OT avail.

The skins will get better, and their draft picks will not be high again....for a long time...I believe this! 

We need to grab a OT while we can....

At 18 ...best CB 

If we pick up a 2nd in trade best Safety 

3rd wr

4th OL 

i like this strategy for the future of the team, not for just this season...

This is the exact recipe for missing on superstars and ending up with a bunch of JAGs, a few "good" players, but no game changers. You say "we have too many holes" and draft for need or move back to try and fill holes. It's how we missed out on JJ Watt, and it's how we missed out on Derwin James, while both were sitting there in our laps. We need to stop that noise and take the best player available, especially when there's a guy sitting there who's the best prospect at his position in the past decade. 

I wouldn't even start to listen unless Miami said "hear us out, hear us out...we'll give you all 3 of our 1sts this year AND a 1st next year" and then I'd poke a bit from there to find out what else they'd be willing to give up. Then I'd begin to consider it. 

And Miami isn't going to give all of that up to move to 2. If it's true that they like Herbert as well they'll most likely sit at 5, take whichever one of Tua or Herbert falls to them, and then use their remaining picks to work towards filling in their roster. If they're really infatuated with Tua I see it more likely that they'd try to move up to 3. I'm sure they assume that our asking price for #2 would be astronomical and probably wouldn't even bother. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched a little film on him also, SIP and the first player to come to mind was Derrick Henry as well.  He's DH2.

Archived