Vanguard

WR Cam Sims 2019 Campaign

Recommended Posts

Why is everyone assuming Trey Quinn is our starter at the slot? He was a 7th round pick and did very little last year when not hurt. I’m rooting for him because he might turn out to be our Edelman but he’s closer to being on the streets than a starting wide receiver on an NFL team. I actually like that Steven Sims to be a better option as a slot based on his quickness and sudden movement. I believe his 40 was not good which is why he went undrafted. 

 

I think what’s more likely is either Richardson or McLaurin plays the slot with the other as our z receiver. Sims Harmon Quick and whoever else are high on potential but haven’t shown anything yet. Our wideout group will depend on their development. I’m crossing my fingers that one or two of them steps up this year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, skinsfan93 said:

Why is everyone assuming Trey Quinn is our starter at the slot? He was a 7th round pick and did very little last year when not hurt. I actually like that Steven Sims to be a better option as a slot based on his quickness and sudden movement. I believe his 40 was not good which is why he went undrafted. 

 

I think what’s more likely is either Richardson or McLaurin plays the slot with the other as our z receiver. 

 

It is too early to assume anything but Trey Quinn did produce before his injury (not after his return but he was still injured).  Quinn is quick at 200lbs.  I'd rather have him at slot than Richardson or Steven Sims in the 170lb range.  Richardson did well at the Z last year so why switch? McLaurin could spell Richardson at the Z.  Harmon could try to play the big slot and X.  Doctson can try to produce more at X.  Cam Sims is 6'5" and can block and Davis is big.  But these guys are going to have to produce on special teams or they won't make the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine he will be on the bubble just like last year. Which means, it may come down to teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I imagine he will be on the bubble just like last year. Which means, it may come down to teams.

 

This may be the only opportunity we have to gush about him, but I hope I’m wrong.  That’s the reason I made the thread.  But he has lots of potential.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Cam it's probably 100% mental. The guy clearly has the ability to be a #1 but needs to put it all together somehow and win the coaches favor to get the opportunity to prove himself. 

 

Also that Pete Hailey tweet doesn't really say much. Is he involved as in getting a lot of looks in the passing game or is he just in a lot of lineups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Also that Pete Hailey tweet doesn't really say much. Is he involved as in getting a lot of looks in the passing game or is he just in a lot of lineups?

 

Probably the latter, a player like Sims has a much higher chance of making the team if they are trying him at multiple WR spots.

 

If he's only an X,Y or slot then it's a more direct competition player to player. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

 

Probably the latter, a player like Sims has a much higher chance of making the team if they are trying him at multiple WR spots.

 

If he's only an X,Y or slot then it's a more direct competition player to player. 

Thanks, I try not to assume but if I had a guess it would have been the latter as well. I'm just hoping someone emerges from this group honestly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the organization gives all of these wide outs a fair chance, it'll be an interesting competition in training camp. IMO, the indicator that competition is non-existent will be if Doctson steps in the game with the first team. I think Kenny Britt and Brian Quick will be insurance. Now, I originally said Britt and Quick was brought in for Case, since he played with them in St. Louis (Rams). But to me, even if Haskins becomes the starter, you can't afford WR that can't win in their routes (let alone catch the ball consistently). You also can't afford  receivers running the wrong route or not getting the proper depth (for instance). Either way, both QB will need as much help from the WR spot as possible. IMO, Alex's game suffered more from that than anything else last year. But, like any other position, the team will let you know when the coaching staff hasn't picked the right guys to play. Its time to say **** when a player is picked and a contract and win some damn games. Training camp will let me know if I'll be watching games or going the NFL mobile route.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joeken24 said:

If the organization gives all of these wide outs a fair chance, it'll be an interesting competition in training camp. IMO, the indicator that competition is non-existent will be if Doctson steps in the game with the first team. I think Kenny Britt and Brian Quick will be insurance. Now, I originally said Britt and Quick was brought in for Case, since he played with them in St. Louis (Rams). But to me, even if Haskins becomes the starter, you can't afford WR that can't win in their routes (let alone catch the ball consistently). You also can't afford  receivers running the wrong route or not getting the proper depth (for instance). Either way, both QB will need as much help from the WR spot as possible. IMO, Alex's game suffered more from that than anything else last year. But, like any other position, the team will let you know when the coaching staff hasn't picked the right guys to play. Its time to say **** when a player is picked and a contract and win some damn games. Training camp will let me know if I'll be watching games or going the NFL mobile route.

 

Sorry buddy but what are you talking about? Kenny Britt is not on our roster and Brian Quick was brought here 2 years ago way before we traded for Case. 

 

And of course any QB rookie or not is gonna benefit from their wideouts getting open and running correct routes. Kinda of a given ain’t it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PlayAction said:

 

It is too early to assume anything but Trey Quinn did produce before his injury (not after his return but he was still injured).  Quinn is quick at 200lbs.  I'd rather have him at slot than Richardson or Steven Sims in the 170lb range.  Richardson did well at the Z last year so why switch? McLaurin could spell Richardson at the Z.  Harmon could try to play the big slot and X.  Doctson can try to produce more at X.  Cam Sims is 6'5" and can block and Davis is big.  But these guys are going to have to produce on special teams or they won't make the roster. 

 I agree it’s early but while I hope Quinn steps up in his 2nd year he has a lot to prove. He has a good 40 time but I don’t see the twitch. As far as a slot receiver I rather have someone who has quickness not straight line speed. 

 

McLaurin will play being a high draft pick and he is better suited at the z position. Getting Richardson on the field, that’s why I mention playing him in the slot. Oh Amendola, Edelman, Beasley are on the smaller size and sure handed. Hopefully we have that guy on the roster whoever it may be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richardson

Doctson

Mclaurin

Quinn

Harmon

 

These guys above, I'd be shocked (barring injury) if they aren't locks. IMO Quinn and Harmon will see the most slot snaps. Depending on Sprinkle's development, Reed could see more time flexed out too. 

 

So other than seeing how much playing time the rookies earn, thr biggest camp competition will be between:

 

Cam Sims

Brian Quick

Robert Davis

 

That's the cluster that's hard to predict. Obviously we want the young guys to push JAG Quick off the roster pronto, but it's not guaranteed.

 

This all assumes another UDFA type doesn't flash hugely, the way Sims and Davis gained hype as rookies. There's no one else impactful really on my radar right now but we'll see. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Richardson

Doctson

Mclaurin

Quinn

Harmon

 

These guys above, I'd be shocked (barring injury) if they aren't locks. IMO Quinn and Harmon will see the most slot snaps. Depending on Sprinkle's development, Reed could see more time flexed out too. 

 

So other than seeing how much playing time the rookies earn, thr biggest camp competition will be between:

 

Cam Sims

Brian Quick

Robert Davis

 

That's the cluster that's hard to predict. Obviously we want the young guys to push JAG Quick off the roster pronto, but it's not guaranteed.

 

This all assumes another UDFA type doesn't flash hugely, the way Sims and Davis gained hype as rookies. There's no one else impactful really on my radar right now but we'll see. 


Based on Gruden's quotes here I'd say you could move Cam Sims to that upper group (barring injury). Also, glad to see Steve Sims Jr is still getting love. He may have a shot at the practice squad at least or be that UDFA that surprises and makes the squad. I doubt Quick makes it and I can't help but think Jehu Chesson is on the outside looking in, since both Mclaurin and Harmon will be on special teams.

 

Quote

On the wide receivers being an unsettled unit:

"Yeah, you could say that, but I think based on what I’ve seen out here it’s the most exciting group to me. Really, I think the rookies have come in here, not just the draft picks but some of the free agents, WR Steven Sims has come in and shown flashes. WR T.J. [Rahming]’s done a good job. WR Cam Sims coming off the injury has proven that’s why we’ve kept him around and he’s going to make our team because of his size and athletic ability and Josh Doctson like I mentioned I think is going to have a big year. WR Trey Quinn has taken over the inside slot role. He’s confident, he’s quick, he’s got strong hands, he’s physical, [and] he’s tough. Obviously WR Brian Quick with some veteran experience. Obviously WR Paul Richardson’s not even out here yet with his speed. But, WR Terry [McLaurin] and WR Kelvin [Harmon] are – knocking on wood right now – are very good."

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. When is that from? Gruden essentially confirms Sims is a roster lock there, good catch. Also great to see him pumped about the rookies. Less surprising to see him pencil in Quinn as the starting slot guy, but still good to know he's met offseason development expectations. 

 

Honestly it won't take long for Quinn to out-produce Crowder's former expectations. Despite the hype he always ended up a disappointment to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Interesting. When is that from? Gruden essentially confirms Sims is a roster lock there, good catch. Also great to see him pumped about the rookies. Less surprising to see him pencil in Quinn as the starting slot guy, but still good to know he's met offseason development expectations. 

 

Honestly it won't take long for Quinn to out-produce Crowder's former expectations. Despite the hype he always ended up a disappointment to me. 


That's from today actually. I was surprised to see that myself about Sims, especially so early.

Hopefully Quinn can stay healthy himself, I'm looking forward to him showing more of that potential we saw.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, skinsfan93 said:

Why is everyone assuming Trey Quinn is our starter at the slot? He was a 7th round pick and did very little last year when not hurt. I’m rooting for him because he might turn out to be our Edelman but he’s closer to being on the streets than a starting wide receiver on an NFL team. I actually like that Steven Sims to be a better option as a slot based on his quickness and sudden movement. I believe his 40 was not good which is why he went undrafted. 

 

I think what’s more likely is either Richardson or McLaurin plays the slot with the other as our z receiver. Sims Harmon Quick and whoever else are high on potential but haven’t shown anything yet. Our wideout group will depend on their development. I’m crossing my fingers that one or two of them steps up this year. 

I think because Gruden is saying Quinn is the guy in the slot....he made some comments today about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.redskins.com/news/wide-receiver-cam-sims-sheds-forgotten-guy-label-with-standout-minicamp

 

 

 

Playing with the first team in place of Brian Quick, who banged up his knee early in the session, Sims made a bunch of catches on a variety of different routes. Keenum and Sims hooked up several times throughout the workout, first on a post route and then on a quick slant during which Sims beat cornerback Josh Norman to the inside. During 11-on-11 drills, Sims showcased his big-play ability. On a go route down the right side, Sims outran All-Pro safety Landon Collins, who was coming over to help, and corralled a well-thrown deep ball from Keenum for a 60-yard touchdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 4:08 PM, JaxJoe said:

My way too early roster prediction: Cam Sim made the 53 last year and I see no reason why he won’t make the 53 this year, other than his injury affecting him.   The 2018 opening day receiving corp was:

 

Doctson (X) 6’2” 202 lb 4.50 sec 40yd

Richardson (Y) 6’0” 170 lb 4.40 sec

Crowder (Z) 5’9” 177 lb 4.56 sec

Harris (x) 6’3” 200 lb 4.56 sec

Quinn (z) 6’0” 200 lb 4.55 sec

Sims (x) 6’5” 212 lb 4.59 sec

 

2019 could/should be:

Doctson (X) 6’2” 202 lb 4.50 sec 40yd

Richardson (Y) 6’0” 170 lb 4.40 sec

Quinn (Z) 6’0” 200 lb 4.55 sec

Sims (x) 6’5” 214 lb 4.59 sec

McLaurin (y) 6’0” 208 lb 4,35 sec

Harmon (x) 6’2” 221 lb 4.60 sec

 

On paper it doesn't look like much of a change and it probably isn't. Ugh. 

 

If I’m taking the glass half full approach, I can envision a few things that make this group better than last year.  

Health - last year Sims, Quinn and Richardson missed a bunch of games. Experience - Richardson’s first year in the system, Quinn and Sims were rooks.  Talent - Quinn has better hands than Crowder, McLaurin adds speed, Harmon and Sims add size (including catch radius and possibly the ability to play big).  

At qb, we likely get more production than we had with Smith and the others.  Not the same as more wins of course.  Our oline might/should be better than last year.  Defense may well be better as well.  

 

Anyway, no telling how it plays out, but I’d say there’s at least a reasonable chance this unit is measurably better than last year.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I remember last year, all the WRs were getting rave reviews from camp.

 

Sims is headed to the pro bowl, baby.

 

Every damn year it seems like we see guys at wideout that look great and then they finish the year with less than 10 catches. And that happens for a year or 2, and then they get replaced by our new batch of future failed WRs. 

 

But last year was a sign of change. I was encouraged that both Sims and Quinn made the week 1 roster.  Sure they couldn't survive the week, but it appears that the team decided to stop wasting years and years and practice squad slots and just kind of take a **** or get off the pot approach with them.  What's the worst that can happen, the kids route is off and you have an INT. Well you know what, a vet WR cough Alshon Jeffries can have a ball go through his hands lol and end the season, too.

 

We act like the vet QBs are dumb robots. They have been throwing at raw WRs EVERY damn year that they have been playing football. Case will know that Sims is raw, and that he is always too slow out of his slant break, but runs the fly beautifully and to Jay's standards. Case will know Quinn is hyper and will be too quick out of all his breaks. Jay just needs to call the routes the players run well, to aid in this 'just use the greenhorns' thing. I am convinced, that somehow, guys that play football as a profession can work through these things.

 

And somehow, Brian Quick will be on our roster again all year, and not be used at all.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.