Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WR Cam Sims 2019 Campaign

Vanguard

I was so hyped about him last year.  I try to never get excited about guys like that, training camp/preseason heroes but couldn't help it.  

I hope he makes the team but there's a long way to go.  Drafted two WRs, he's gotta stay healthy, repeat last years performance...

He might make the team. But don't be shocked if he doesn't.

Remember last year he barely made the 53 on the most depleted WR corps we've had in ages. That probably had a lot to do with it. But there's a lot more competition this year. Roster spots for wideouts are far more tighter than before.

We will find out what he's made of.

I am rooting for him, though.

I really like his chances to make the team. Knows the system. Had some outstanding moments last year with sub par QB play. Not knowing how the  Rookies play out but know they are on the 53. Richardson will be back and healthy (hopefully). I believe he and and Quinn (slot) have a great shot to rise and possibly start.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:36 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

He might make the team. But don't be shocked if he doesn't.

Remember last year he barely made the 53 on the most depleted WR corps we've had in ages. That probably had a lot to do with it. But there's a lot more competition this year. Roster spots for wideouts are far more tighter than before.

We will find out what he's made of.

I am rooting for him, though.

is there though? Crowder's gone and the only new guys are 3rd and 6th round draft picks. Of course everyone is young and theoretically improving. But it's still pretty weak overall. It's probably pretty comparable to 2018. But obviously the team will hope for some strides between this year and last.

The path is there for Sims to make the squad - Quick doesn’t offer promise, Harmon is a year behind Sims developmentally, Doctson’s gone after this year.  

Guessing McLaurin is the presumed #4 at the moment backing up Quinn in the slot and Richardson at the Z.  

I believe Sims was used at flanker only in preseason last year, so with McLaurin added (and Doctson’s option not picked up), my hope/assumption is they move him out to X.  

Besides Harmon, I don’t know of any other viable options at split end (Kidsey at slot/Z, the new UDFA’s a slot only), but I’m also not sure who else we have in terms of future’s, UDFAs, last year’s PS players, etc.  Of course, I also have no idea how Sims has recovered from his injury.

Edit:  Somehow I forgot to add Robert Davis to the mix.  At this point, I’m not expecting anything out of him, including making the team.  Not even sure I want him to given our injury issues.  At the same time, he is (or was) fast, and is entering his 3rd year... perhaps he surprises. :)

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Besides Harmon, I don’t know of any other viable options at split end (Kidsey at slot/Z, the new UDFA’s a slot only), but I’m also not sure who else we have in terms of future’s, UDFAs, last year’s PS players, etc.  Of course, I also have no idea how Sims has recovered from his injury.  

Great point about seeing how he recovers from his injury. Didn’t even factor that in. I’ll be watching closely.

I would like his chances more if he hadnt basically sat the entire year.  Would have liked to have seen what he can do in games that count.

But my expectations are not high. Never having caught more than 14 balls in college doesnt scream contributer in the NFL, much less, starter.  His preseason exploits notwithstanding.  Hopefully he's a late bloomer, I guess.  

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

I would like his chances more if he hadnt basically sat the entire year.  Would have liked to have seen what he can do in games that count.

But my expectations are not high. Never having caught more than 14 balls in college doesnt scream contributer in the NFL, much less, starter.  His preseason exploits notwithstanding.  Hopefully he's a late bloomer, I guess.  

Questionable production in college, yes. But I’m banking on the talent, and the size.

Wasn't his injury a high ankle sprain or something like that? Him and Trey Quinn both got injured in Game 1. Team placed both on IR but decided to bring Quinn back. I never really heard any updates to his status throughout the year. Would have been nice to have him out there, if healthy. Team kept Apke on the roster too long before deciding about IR.  I know we needed help everywhere, but we had no playmakers besides AP on offense. 

Hopefully, 2019 is his year to do something in this offense.  We need playmakers and guys that can get some YAC!!! Let's hope he's healthy, knows the playbook and is ready to ball out. #HTTR

I like Sims's story and last year he was my Mo Harris-like crush, but lets be honest he had a lot of drops in the preseason last year. He was able to make up for them, but I think he could be a candidate for the PS. Honestly I will say that Davis is the same way. But add in Quinn and we've got three young WRs who could make the team but who also have been injured a lot in their young careers (not really talking number of injuries but length of the injuries). And with Davis, wasn't one injury a concussion? I think that between these three a big question will be who can stay healthy. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Davis loses out because, while he has the measurables he has had 2 seasons lost to injuries. I know he has speed that Quinn and Sims don't, but doesn't he still play a Harmon type game instead of a Robinson type game? I honestly don't know because he has spent so little time on the roster. 

My way too early roster prediction: Cam Sim made the 53 last year and I see no reason why he won’t make the 53 this year, other than his injury affecting him.   The 2018 opening day receiving corp was:

Doctson (X) 6’2” 202 lb 4.50 sec 40yd

Richardson (Y) 6’0” 170 lb 4.40 sec

Crowder (Z) 5’9” 177 lb 4.56 sec

Harris (x) 6’3” 200 lb 4.56 sec

Quinn (z) 6’0” 200 lb 4.55 sec

Sims (x) 6’5” 212 lb 4.59 sec

2019 could/should be:

Quinn (Z) 6’0” 200 lb 4.55 sec

Sims (x) 6’5” 214 lb 4.59 sec

McLaurin (y) 6’0” 208 lb 4,35 sec

Harmon (x) 6’2” 221 lb 4.60 sec

On paper it doesn't look like much of a change and it probably isn't. Ugh. 

Yea I agree on paper it doesn’t look like much of a change but it all depends on who actually develops. Even though Quinn and Sims didn’t play much, hopefully getting a year under their belt helps. I see McLaurin contributing right away but as our slot receiver. All depends on whether Harmon Quinn and Sims can be decent backups. If one of those guys can step up it changes the dynamics a lot. 

44 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Yea I agree on paper it doesn’t look like much of a change but it all depends on who actually develops. Even though Quinn and Sims didn’t play much, hopefully getting a year under their belt helps. I see McLaurin contributing right away but as our slot receiver. All depends on whether Harmon Quinn and Sims can be decent backups. If one of those guys can step up it changes the dynamics a lot. 

I really hope McLaurin outperforms any and everything Crowder contributed. I’m a little upset with Crowder, but can’t explain why. I wish him luck wherever he goes, but I’m a little bitter.

4 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

2019 could/should be:

Quinn (Z) 6’0” 200 lb 4.55 sec

Sims (x) 6’5” 214 lb 4.59 sec

McLaurin (y) 6’0” 208 lb 4,35 sec

Harmon (x) 6’2” 221 lb 4.60 sec

On paper it doesn't look like much of a change and it probably isn't. Ugh. 

I think McLaurin helps the team a bit in the passing game and a bit in the running game, and a bit on special teams. Also, he is going to be the opposite of Josh Doctson. McLaurin will come in and be a technician. Run every route just as coached. Be where he is supposed to be, when he is supposed to be. Block his *** off in the run game. He is going to be a coaches favorite, and on a roster with so little WR talent, will get a ton of playing time. 

So much for this team depends on health. If Richardson stays healthy and McLaurin gets some burn, we will actually be a much faster team on offense. Especially if Thompson can also stay healthy. I don't think Richardson or Thompson are going to stay healthy however. 

Also, I don't get the fascination with Sims or Robert Davis. I really hope we add some real talent at receiver next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 6:56 PM, Vanguard said:

I really hope McLaurin outperforms any and everything Crowder contributed. I’m a little upset with Crowder, but can’t explain why. I wish him luck wherever he goes, but I’m a little bitter.

Maybe because he was all hype and no production? I thought he'd be a dynamic punt returner for us and he wasn't. As a WR he showed flashes but never sustained it. I can actually see him being a very good NY Jet if used more than we did here....

Archived