Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Jimmy Moreland CB James Madison

Wildbunny

1 minute ago, SkinsFootball said:

We are not splitting hairs. Do you believe that any of them were a Top 3-5 corner in their best years?

Would they have been better with our current front seven? Probably. But circumstances are exactly what they are..  circumstances.  

I don't think any of them were excellent in anything.  Yes. that includes man coverage. We need an upgrade at the position and that has been evident since we traded away Champ Bailey. 

Yes I do. I think Springs was definitely a top 5 corner when we signed him. I think the same about Hall, especially after the Oakland trade. Rogers and Smoot were probably better as #2 corners next to a good man guy, but they could stick with their man for the most part. Like I said though, if you disagree you can disagree but I have always thought of those players (and our secondary) as the strength of our defense, and they have carried weight for the S position (outside of Sean Taylor). Heck I even thought Breeland was a legit #1 corner before he had his hissy fit. 

Fast forward to today and I don't think its set but I am confident that our corners can handle most of the not top tier WRs in the league. Now a Michael Thomas, Julio Jones, ODB or even Amari and we may have problems. But I think that Norman (in zone), Dunbar, Monroe and Stroman all had respectable seasons last year. Definitely not great but not a glaring hole that needs to be addressed. And there's so much potential already here.

I hope that Moreland can add to that and be a lock down, but if your requirement is that he be a top 3-5 CB then maybe you need to lower your expectations. I just hope he can be a part of the rotation and doing well. But that raises the question of what's the rotation? Norman and Dunbar outside, Monroe in the slot and Moreland as his backup? It'd be interesting to see how this works. Are Johnson and Stroman still in play? What about DRC?

3 hours ago, Bifflog said:

According to the breakdown I linked to above, Cooley says he is able to be "big bodied", and an admission that playing at the level he did, the question arises did he ever face anyone with true speed.  Other than that, everything was really positive, good at reading receiver body language and keying QB eyes, defends the back shoulder well, excellent at jamming at the LOS, his interceptions weren't inflated by flukey tipped balls.  But we're talking about a small school prospect who wasn't invited to the combine, so it's probably going to be hard to know if he can hack it at this level until we see it.

At least we've some evidence of his ability to handle higher tier talent at the east-west shrine game and the senior bowl.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/3/31/18280997/nfl-draft-pre-draft-visit-jimmy-moreland

If you watch Moreland’s highlights, you can see that he may have gotten a couple gifts thrown to him. Still, you can’t fake that type of production on the ball. Moreland played very well at the East/West shrine game—another all-star event—and was called up to the Senior Bowl. Moreland continued to receive praise at the Senior Bowl, where Deebo Samuel said Moreland was the best CB he faced all week. Moreland measured at 5’11, 175 pounds. Here is Eric Crocker breaking down one Moreland game:

Ball hawk? If I had a dollar....

In our defense it seems like Bruce Manusky will often show man coverage on the underneath stuff, and then at the last moment, switch coverage. In an attempt to get INTs, I am fairly certain.  Or, our DBs are jumping others routes on their own accord. Edit: maybe its a hybrid man zone.

We often hear players talk about how the D will be aggressive and generate turnovers. Only, we don't know how that will happen. Since we don't see obvious strips for the ball, QB sacks aside, the focus is on INTs.

If not what I saw above, how do we generate the almost annually promised INTs.  I am not convinced its from drafting moar ball hawks.

I think one needs to drill down to each INT to see how much hawking is actually happening. INTs sure seem to often result from lame duck throws, hail mary's, tipped balls, etc.  At that point, it's just hands, and not donking heads with a LB going after the same duck.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:02 PM, volsmet said:

A corner prospect to keep an eye on is Palm Beach Florida’s, Jimmy Moreland. Moreland was suspended from the team at one point, which will likely move him down, but he’s certainly an NFL talent. 

Explosive, just not big on chest day.

I don't know if Moreland will be the "man" but I do know we need a slot corner in a bad way.  Fabian is just not suited for the position as he is best on the outside.  In today's NFL, the slot receiver is a crucial role.  That is the reason guys like Beasley and Adam Humphries got huge deals this offseason and you can include Crowder.  

Humphries was a real mind boggler.  4 years and $36 million for a guy who never got a 1000 yard receiving in 4 years and scored 9 touchdowns in his career.  It shows the value that teams have on the slot and why we need a solid corner to cover guys like him.  Losing Fuller was huge and I think the team thought that one of the young guys could step in, which simply didn't work. 

With our improved pass rush and front seven, we don't need someone who is going to cover for 10 seconds but someone who has the "twitch" to play that role. 

Haskins on Jimmy

"He's aggravating," said quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who offered up the interception. "I'm glad he's on our team."

https://www.richmond.com/sports/redskins/redskins-ota-observations-defense-makes-life-difficult-for-haskins-and/article_7741fe04-823b-11e9-ba3a-a31a6406c213.html

Jimmy is doing well and has me super excited, but I'm still holding on any real judgements until we see em in pads. Hopefully he can hold his own consistently against the big boys.

12 minutes ago, arftech said:

With his range and ball skills could he play the deep safety position?  I understand his size could be an issue there but he's a dog!

Hail Em Up!

Ideally you’d have a taller guy back there.

We have a 3-cone for Moreland? Curious how quick his feet are, he seems like the perfect fit in the slot so far. Glad we drafted him.

Interestingly, he was a top-30 visit for the Giants. As a potential character red flag guy, I'm sure lots of teams wanted to get his story in person. But it's still interesting. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We have a 3-cone for Moreland? Curious how quick his feet are, he seems like the perfect fit in the slot so far. Glad we drafted him.

Interestingly, he was a top-30 visit for the Giants. As a potential character red flag guy, I'm sure lots of teams wanted to get his story in person. But it's still interesting. 

He did very well in the 3 cone, but poorly in the shuttle.

Archived