INCHES

Broad Jump

--

INCHES

3 Cone Drill

SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle

Overview

Four-year starter and cerebral interior line prospect who proved to be consistent and technically sound in Alabama's varied run schemes over the years. Pierschbacher plays with good initial quickness and is likely to be targeted by teams looking for move-oriented run blockers. He might lack the mass and power teams would like to see from him as a guard, but he's close to pro ready from an experience and technique standpoint and could find early playing time as an average starting center within the first two years.

Strengths

Good size with starting experience at center and guard

Has plus snap-to-step quickness to fit up in his blocks

Smooth and fluid when asked to come out of stance and pull

Skip pulls, long pulls and outsize zone blocks are in his wheelhouse

Has good radar to find and connect on second-level blocks

Patient approach working up to linebackers and able to make contact against side-stepping linebackers

Consistent with base width and punch balance in pass pro

Shoots hands with efficient, inside track and proper placement

Smooth lateral shuffle to mirror

Adequate balance through contact

*Click Link For More* 

Oh, good.   A draft without Alabama doesn't exist.   I'm ok with any Alabama player the Skins want to add.   Now we have a couple of guys, very different in nature, who can play guard or center for us.   One is super strong but sluggish.   This guy is a bit lighter on his feet, but isn't strong.   All we need is one not to suck :).

Been touting this pick for ages. 42 starts at LG before moving to C. 

He's said we've exclusively worked him out at LG. I will take that along with Martin. Would rather have an hard assed rookie taking some lumps at LG than a street scrub.

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

One can never have too many lineman.  Especially considering how often ours seem to get injured.  

One of my biggest criticisms and disappointments, is I think they don't keep enough OL on the 53.

They like "versatile" guys who can play multiple positions because that saves a roster spot, but there's a

huge downside to that ; if the versatile guy gets hurt, you basically lost 2 backups.

I think we should be less concerned with "saving OL roster spots"

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One of my biggest criticisms and disappointments, is I think they don't keep enough OL on the 53.

They like "versatile" guys who can play multiple positions because that saves a roster spot, but there's a

huge downside to that ; if the versatile guy gets hurt, you basically lost 2 backups.

I think we should be less concerned with "saving OL roster spots"

most people only keep 8-10 and excepting when so many got hurt we had to carry some extras we fall in that range.

• 3 weeks later...

Only college football player in history to be a Starter on 4 consecutive National Championship teams.

I wonder if he's Scherff insurance.

If Scherff does not agree to an extension, or does not re-sign next offseason, or does not return to full form after his injury, then perhaps next year's Interior O-Line Starters may look like this :

Martin - Roullier - Piersbacher

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's been the forgotten man in our draft class.  But he's the most experienced player we picked.  He was the leader of his college line.  He's got a real chance to make the team.

You have to imagine he has something going on. With all the talent Alabama gets in every year to always be a starter is pretty special. It may be more grit and intelligence, but as a guy who loved Joe Bostic back in the glory years (undersized center who the 'skins always tried to replace and never could) I think there's something to be said for toughness and technique over raw size and power.

49 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

He could start at center out the gate. Pushing rollier to the backup C/LG slot. Would be cool to see an upgrade a center in addition to Wes at LG.

Pushing Scherff out would be amazing for us.

Not hating on Scherff. Hes awesome, but that's a ton of money at guard when we need tackles.

Piersbacher has one of those last names that's gotta make everyone laugh when someone's mad and starts yelling at him.

DGfhj7jUwAE-REU.jpg

I mean, can't you hear Neidermeyer yelling at him?  "PIERSBACHER!! YOU'LL REPORT TO THE STABLE TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT AT 1900 HOURS!!  AND WITHOUT THAT PLEDGE PIN!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!?"

20 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

The money shouldn't be an issue. Trent's contract should come off the books in the next two years or so right? Scherff would be our only high priced linemen. The rest would be draft picks or will soon be replaced by one.(Moses)

Money always matters. You cant pay a guard, tackle money. Especially when you dont consistently have healthy tackles.

Having good healthy lines is the goal. If you can do that with draft picks, especially on first contracts, you're winning at building a championship team.

Drafting a guard at 5 and paying him like a tackle, isnt the best move, unless hes the next Sean Hutchison. 

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Money always matters. You cant pay a guard, tackle money. Especially when you dont consistently have healthy tackles.

Having good healthy lines is the goal. If you can do that with draft picks, especially on first contracts, you're winning at building a championship team.

Drafting a guard at 5 and paying him like a tackle, isnt the best move, unless hes the next Sean Hutchison. 

Sure. But again given that we have a developmental swing tackle already in house and will probably draft a LT replacement for Trent in the near future. Who else on the line will command big money?

From what I see and have read Scherff has flashed All-pro potential. It appears we will be a run first team for the next several years and that directly correlates to having a beast RG.

My point is in general you are correct, but given our specific roster construction I think we can get away with it since none of our other tackles or lineman will be on their second contract.  If and when they would demand that second contract then Scherff's extension should be near the end and we can reevaluate. 

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

On the other hand, with so much pressure coming up the middle these days the importance of a guard has increased. We saw that for years with some of our turnstyle center and guard play. We were blitzed up the middle all the time. Shortest distance to a straight line and all that.

Archived