Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

7 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I'm a huge fan of Baldingers analysis he records while sitting on the john. 

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Haha ya right..haha a TV in the bathroom?

Gives it that nice, natural reverb audio effect, that is hard to duplicate in the studio.

As long as you're not bothered by the occasional flush audio.

• Haha 2

On 4/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's why I made the bold prediction. Because I believe he'll have an abysmal camp compared to the others.

A bold prediction would have been Doctson will outshines all the WR on the roster this year. Saying he will be cut is not a bold statement. It would be dumb to not get anything for a player that was selected in the 1st round. He still holds value no matter what it is. 

Edited by zskins

1 hour ago, zskins said:

A bold prediction would have been Doctson will outshines all the WR on the roster this year. Saying he will be cut is not a bold statement. It would be dumb to not get anything for a player that was selected in the 1st round. He still holds value no matter what it is. 

You basically said that it's unlikely he gets cut and gave your reason. So then, how is it not a bold statement to say that he will get cut ?

If it's unlikely, then it's a bold statement. (To say that Doctson will outshine everyone sounds more homerish than bold. People make those knee-jerk type of emotional statements all the time, without much thought put into it)

And cutting 1st round picks after a few years with no compensation is not at all uncommon or unheard of.

We've actually signed some of those from other teams. Breshad Perriman is one. In fact, we just did, twice - Marcus Smith, and Ereck Flowers ;  Nobody bit on the Giants' offers to trade him. 1st Round pick. Released by Giants. No compensation. Just because we think we deserve compensation, doesn't mean we get it.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You basically said that it's unlikely he gets cut and gave your reason. So then, how is it not a bold statement to say that he will get cut ?

If it's unlikely, then it's a bold statement. (To say that Doctson will outshine everyone sounds more homerish than bold.)

And cutting 1st round picks after a few years with no compensation is not at all uncommon or unheard of.

We've actually signed some of those from other teams. In fact, we just did - Ereck Flowers ; 1st Round pick. Nobody bit on the Giants' offers to trade him. Released by Giants.

Saying Doctson will be cut because we now have McLaurin is not a bold statement in my mind. One in and one out is really not bold at all. You are just playing the numbers game. I am hardly homerish, okay maybe sometimes, but this time it was more due to the production of Doctson last year. So my bold is that he will upstage the other WR. Now that is bold. :D

As for Flowers the Giants didn't pickup his 5th year option and the Jags picked him up last year before he came here. Flowers also quit on his team as it was reported by the Giants. I haven't seen Doctson quit on his team yet. 

Let's revisit our posts after the season starts and see what bold statement did the Skins make on Doctson. :)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Saying Doctson will be cut because we now have McLaurin is not a bold statement in my mind. One in and one out is really not bold at all. You are just playing the numbers game.

s for Flowers the Giants didn't pickup his 5th year option and the Jags picked him up last year before he came here. Flowers also quit on his team as it was reported by the Giants. I haven't seen Doctson quit on his team yet. 

See, here you're assuming what my reasoning is.

I never said that was my reason for my statement/prediction. You assumed that because I posted it in a McLaurin acquisition thread.

My reasons are really a culmination of things, that could last several paragraphs to cover it all. I just happened to choose to post in this thread.

Regarding Flowers, that was just one of many examples. There also Smith, who's currently on our team, and Perriman from last year, so the list goes on and on. And that should prove my point that #1 picks getting outright released after a few years is not uncommon.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

23 minutes ago, zskins said:

Looking at some vids of McLaurin and of course the QB throwing to him is Haskins. McLaurin made Haskins and vise versa. Hopefully this duo makes the team better than the last QB WR duo we had in the distance past. 

Caught a bit of 106.7 yesterday and they had some draft expert on (can't remember who... Hoffman maybe?) Anyway, he said something interesting which was that two years ago McLaurin looked to be a 7th rounder/UDFA type of prospect. It was under Haskins that his performance improved so dramatically that he became a draftable and legit prospect. If so, I don't think that speaks badly of either of them, but it does make me a bit more excited about Haskins as it's been a while since we've had a QB whose play made those around him better.

I have no idea how good/bad the qbing was before Haskins or how much of McClaurin's growth was McClaurin just getting better. His numbers still weren't world beating, but his YPC were pretty darn special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I have no idea how good/bad the qbing was before Haskins or how much of McClaurin's growth was McClaurin just getting better. His numbers still weren't world beating, but his YPC were pretty darn special.

His reception to TD ratio is really good too.

11 TD's on 35 catches.

About 1/3 of his catches went for 6 points.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@zskins @Malapropismic Depository

Saying he'll be cut is bold, because it's an idiotic move and our FO hasn't looked like its normal incompetent self lately. 

Saying he'll outshine all the other WRs isnt bold, because we barely have a legitimate starter for him to compete with. :ols:

I couldn't imagine him being cut. I also couldn't imagine the 5th year option being used. So his "value" will come after this season, when someone else picks him up, and we hopefully get a comp pick for him. 

Bold statement could be he loses his starting job before the season...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, dballer said:

I couldn't imagine him being cut. I also couldn't imagine the 5th year option being used. So his "value" will come after this season, when someone else picks him up, and we hopefully get a comp pick for him. 

Bold statement could be he loses his starting job before the season...

He'll probably be mediocre enough to just annoy everyone again. 

• Haha 1

Not a fan at all, and I hope and pray I'm wrong about him. No breakout, let alone a poor breakout age, late overage performer, never a strong market share of the offense. The one thing he has is quality combine performance, but he doesn't have anything else to suggest he'll make it if he didnt produce in college. We'll see, the QB play was awful which could explain the lack of a breakout, but it wouldn't really explain the weak market share and lack of involvement in the offense until he was a significant overage prospect. Hope he proves me totally wrong. I have no problem with that, would be fantastic other than the confusion it would provide, but sports are full of outliers, maybe he'll be one. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Not a fan at all, and I hope and pray I'm wrong about him. No breakout, let alone a poor breakout age, late overage performer, never a strong market share of the offense. The one thing he has is quality combine performance, but he doesn't have anything else to suggest he'll make it if he didnt produce in college. We'll see, the QB play was awful which could explain the lack of a breakout, but it wouldn't really explain the weak market share and lack of involvement in the offense until he was a significant overage prospect. Hope he proves me totally wrong. I have no problem with that, would be fantastic other than the confusion it would provide, but sports are full of outliers, maybe he'll be one. 

He was overlooked and didn't get the opportunity.. the offense at Ohio state was not wr centric until his last year. Even then he had guys above him and just didn't get the targets.

As far as playing goes, he was elite in a few areas. YPC, efficiency, blocking, and special teams. He became elite at essentially everything the coaches allowed him to be. 

Now he finally had time in the spotlight for pro day, senior bowl, and combine. What did he do? Made people look stupid and put up very good measurables.

He has shown consistent improvement, has great character, and is highly coachable. 

The guy now has an opportunity in DC unlike what he had in college. The past says he will take advantage of that and put his potential to use. 

He has the potential to play x,y,slot, or a combination of all 3.

I believe this guy will be the redskins no. 1 receiver this year. 

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

I like this pick less than Haskins. At least Haskins has a shot to be good. This guy has Ryan Grant/James Thrash written all over him. Not bad but not what we need.

Ryan Grant? Yeah no. McLaurin doesn't stop after the catch or falls down like Grant does. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

@zskins @Malapropismic Depository

Saying he'll be cut is bold, because it's an idiotic move and our FO hasn't looked like its normal incompetent self lately. 

Saying he'll outshine all the other WRs isnt bold, because we barely have a legitimate starter for him to compete with. :ols:

Our FO is being raved about the draft. Maybe they have become competent this year. :D

Actually he never had a legitimate QB to get the ball from. Maybe Haskins or Keenum will make the difference here. He will outshine all the new WR we have now. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

I like this pick less than Haskins. At least Haskins has a shot to be good. This guy has Ryan Grant/James Thrash written all over him. Not bad but not what we need.

I can see what you mean in the sense that he’s a try hard guy vs a naturally uber-talented type.  He’s not a number one, X receiver type, but probably rather more of a high end number 2, flanker type (if he lives up to his billing).  He’s a guy that will work hard on his craft, pay attention to detail, and relish the blocking side of the position.  He will also give us a deep threat as well as YAC on crossing patterns and such.  

People here have compared him to both Jackson and Garçon, but I think he’s a blend of the two.  Fast like Jackson, but not quite as fluid or as natural of a catcher.  Aggressive and built more like Garçon, but not quite as fiery.  Probably a higher character type and more of a leader than both of them though.  

I totally understand @The Consigliere‘s concerns about market share/breakout age.  I hate betting against such strong statistical indicators.  My hope is that he’s a good enough receiver (for our team), that we will be happy to have spent a 3rd on him.

I don’t really understand the concern that he’s not a number one type considering I think everyone would have been thrilled to have Garçon or Jackson’s talent (or production) on the team the last two years.  Just the added speed alone is something many, including myself, have missed since Jackson left.  I don’t see McLaurin ever achieving any sort of dominance, but I can see him upping the talent in our receiving corp.  Certainly not a very high bar, but if he can produce at the same level, a cheaper, faster, healthier (hopefully) flanker than Richardson would be a big win for a 3rd rounder.  

One last thing.  Something has to give when you’re drafting a receiver in the 3rd round - it might be athleticism, size, production, character, hands, how raw they are, blocking ability, whatever.  Anyone checking all of those boxes likely goes early 1st round.  What many draft people like about McLaurin is that he checks most of those, some in a big way.  The production issue (the one box not checked) is concerning in a vacuum, but he was surrounded by other, very talented receivers - Campbell, Hill, Dixon, and others.  However, in most individual metrics of production he fared quite well - YAC, deep passes, TDS, qbr... when targeted.  The issue seems to be that he wasn’t targeted enough to rack up the receptions and yardage that would have pushed him higher in the draft.  

My two cents, for what it’s worth.  

Regarding “market share” and “breakout age”... I can see why overall those attributes wouldn’t usually equate to success at the NFL level but that seems more like correlation than causation to me. If he has strong indicators everywhere else (tape, measurables, intangibles) I think it’s reasonable to expect him to be an exception. 

I an curious if if anyone has a legit reason for why he was underused at OSU though. Why would a guy with that YPC and TD ratio see such a relatively low % of targets? Maybe he was such a late bloomer that by the time he deserved more touches he had already fallen too far down a loaded depth chart? I guess time will tell...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What is Paul Richardson talking about ?

No idea. I went to his page and there is nothing to indicate what the joke is. Maybe something on local news? Not sure. Seems pretty random to me. 

On 4/30/2019 at 12:34 AM, zskins said:

Saying Doctson will be cut because we now have McLaurin is not a bold statement in my mind. One in and one out is really not bold at all. You are just playing the numbers game. I am hardly homerish, okay maybe sometimes, but this time it was more due to the production of Doctson last year. So my bold is that he will upstage the other WR. Now that is bold. :D

As for Flowers the Giants didn't pickup his 5th year option and the Jags picked him up last year before he came here. Flowers also quit on his team as it was reported by the Giants. I haven't seen Doctson quit on his team yet. 

Let's revisit our posts after the season starts and see what bold statement did the Skins make on Doctson. :)

We may not have to wait that long since the deadline for signing the 5th year of Docton’s rookie contract is May 2nd.