Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

28 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Watch Rons body swaying side to side as he talks about wanting to keep Terry. Usually an indication that he is nervous and trying to relieve stress. I really think he is worried that they may not be able to sign him or he is worried the backlash the team is getting from us fans. 

It's a sign that he wants to get the hell outta there and not be talking to the media vultures anymore.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

So than sign him. Quit talking about and do it. 

I think this thing gets ugly. Terry has all the leverage. I think he forces a trade. Terry can demand any number he really wants within reason. Like 27 mil. His camp knows that the team needs a win in PR.

Leverage, which team has 20-25 million to throw at him this year plus a #1 draft pick( most likely).  He may sit outa and come in with 6 games left together his year in than 2 years of franchise tag. 

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I think this thing gets ugly. Terry has all the leverage. I think he forces a trade. Terry can demand any number he really wants within reason. Like 27 mil. His camp knows that the team needs a win in PR.

I wouldnt say all the leverage. Off the field, Pr wise etc yes. from a financial stand point no. The team still technically has the tag and terry can under no circumstances play this season under his current contract

52 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Waiting until recently to negotiate was dumb IMO.

But now its likely just negotiation 101 stuff going on.   I am not in the camp that they should just give Terry whatever he wants.  There is a typically a dance that has to play out.  The agent needs to look good among other things.   So the team likey has a decent offer on the table now.  Terry's agent has a counter offer.  Often the agreement is somewhere in the middle.  for the team to cave in, it likely would just mean screw waiting this out and getting Terry a bit cheaper lets just run with the agent's highest request.  IMO its smart for them to play out the dance now versus simply give in.  If its like the run of the mill negotiation, the agent will give in some ultimately.  But the dumb part IMO was waiting.

Judging by what beat guys have said in particular Keim, Terry is more than cool being here.  I seriously doubts he demands a trade.    Will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Leverage, which team has 20-25 million to throw at him this year plus a #1 draft pick( most likely).  He may sit outa and come in with 6 games left together his year in than 2 years of franchise tag. 

go Birds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Waiting until recently to negotiate was dumb IMO.

But now its likely just negotiation 101 stuff going on.   I am not in the camp that they should just give Terry whatever he wants.  There is a typically a dance that has to play out.  The agent needs to look good among other things.   So the team likey has a decent offer on the table now.  Terry's agent has a counter offer.  Often the agreement is somewhere in the middle.  for the team to cave in, it likely would just mean screw waiting this out and getting Terry a bit cheaper lets just run with the agent's highest request.  IMO its smart for them to play out the dance now versus simply give in.  If its like the run of the mill negotiation, the agent will give in some ultimately.  But the dumb part IMO was waiting.

Judging by what beat guys have said in particular Keim, Terry is more than cool being here.  I seriously doubts he demands a trade.    Will see.

Thats a normal negotiation. This isnt with this team. IMO Terrys camp knows that the team needs to Win this year. So they arent wanting to trade him. Theres too much risk on Terrys side to play this year for 2.6 mil. At his age its likely the only time he'll get a shot at generational wealth. They know this franchise has zero capital with the fan base. Team needs to sign terry for the PR. They cant do the Kirk/Scherff song and dance with the tag again. They let both of them go for nothing. They are doing the same next year already with Payne. They cant do the same with a Fan Favorite who does everything the HC asks for.

They have one option. Pay him. The team has little to no leverage here. 

43 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Thats a normal negotiation. This isnt with this team. IMO Terrys camp knows that the team needs to Win this year. So they arent wanting to trade him. Theres too much risk on Terrys side to play this year for 2.6 mil. At his age its likely the only time he'll get a shot at generational wealth. They know this franchise has zero capital with the fan base. Team needs to sign terry for the PR. They cant do the Kirk/Scherff song and dance with the tag again. They let both of them go for nothing. They are doing the same next year already with Payne. They cant do the same with a Fan Favorite who does everything the HC asks for.

I don't think every agent/player is determined to put a gun to the head of the team in negotiation.  Every major step of the off season as i mentioned in a post yesterday went according to what they telegraphed.  I am not going to panic about Terry unless something looks obviously amiss.  Judging by Ron's comments today, it doesn't feel like there is anything amiss. 

I don't expect the tag, etc. 

43 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They have one option. Pay him. The team has little to no leverage here. 

If I am selling a house, I start with something high that i don't expect to get just for an anchor in the negotiation.  If the team just panics and actually gives the highest number the agent is looking for, lets say 26 million or whatever, that would be pathetic IMO. So no I am not rooting for them to do it.

I love Terry as a player.  I pushed him before the draft.  I pushed him hard in a debate the morning before we ended up taking him and then defended the pick to the naysayers who didn't like the pick when we made it.  If there is a player on this team who is my favorite dude, Terry would be that guy.  But i am not a fan of giving whatever the heck his agent wants and perhaps Terry being the new Tyreek Hill as far as setting ther market.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I am selling a house, I start with something high that i don't expect to get just for an anchor in the negotiation.  If the team just panics and actually gives the highest number the agent is looking for, lets say 26 million or whatever, that would be pathetic IMO. So no I am not rooting for them to do it.

Im thinking of what Terrys side can say. They can hold onto what ever reasonable number they want (reasonable in their eyes 25-27) because they know the team will have to come to it. Terrys camp doesnt have to budge at all for all the reason I listed above. 

2 hours ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Leverage, which team has 20-25 million to throw at him this year plus a #1 draft pick( most likely).

Terry's cap hit will be close to 10 M year 1. It has the potential to be significantly lower as well. Plenty of teams will be able to fit him in.

The question will be if teams can pry him loose, not if there will be teams that are able and willing to pay. Just like the Deebo situation, a team can hold onto a guy in the face of trade pressure, even from a player.

Still think its more likely he signs with us, but the possibility of moving on is real.

Edited by FootballZombie

Terry is in the second level of the top NFL Wr. He is below Hill, Adams, Kupp and Hopkins. I think you have to pay him above Brown, Diggs, and Moore you can say his numbers are better or worst but this is Washington you have to pay extra for him to play here.  You will not replace him with an equivalent player in fa.

This team has to keep him or make a move that gets them a top Wr to replace him. We got nothing for Cousins, Williams, and Schriff. I can only imagine what agents tell there clients about negotiating with Washington. Without Terry this season I think the team will not do well.

Edited by Redskins 2021

I just heard a segment from a Ron interview, if i heard it right, they just started negotiating a week ago.  I thought it started earlier that that?

I also liked that he said the negotiation isn't contentious at all.

55 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Im thinking of what Terrys side can say. They can hold onto what ever reasonable number they want (reasonable in their eyes 25-27) because they know the team will have to come to it. Terrys camp doesnt have to budge at all for all the reason I listed above. 

They can ask for that.  Your point is if I understand it, just give it to them.  but if you play out that dance I bet they end up around 22 or 23 a year.

They can franchise Terry if I recall for less than 20 a year.  You are suggesting they got no leverage.  In this case they do have some.  It's not like Scherff last year where the tag money would pay him more than the typical salary would.  In Terry's case he would get less.

Also, I believe that Terry wants a deal and he wants to stay.  I don't think this is like Kirk or Scherff who apparently wanted to leave.  Among other things, Terry's best friend is on this team. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea what Terry asked for ? Was he asking for Hill money or was it AJ Brown money?

What did we offer Christian Kirk or Mike Thomas money? I am thinking we probably have a low offer just looking at the Washington past. What is the problem here in the negotiation.

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Does anyone have any idea what Terry asked for ? Was he asking for Hill money or was it AJ Brown money?

What did we offer Christian Kirk or Mike Thomas money? I am thinking we probably have a low offer just looking at the Washington past. What is the problem here in the negotiation.

No one really knows. It's mostly wild speculation and hand wringing at this point.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

No one really knows. It's mostly wild speculation and hand wringing at this point.

Aj Brown is about the same age as Terry and pretty close ability wise. They may have to go a little higher because it's Washington and Terry contract was done second but this should be easy to get done.

Where does this board rank Terry against other Wr in NFL. I think he is top ten in NFL and needs to be paid extra to play in Washington.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Aj Brown is about the same age as Terry and pretty close ability wise. They may have to go a little higher because it's Washington and Terry contract was done second but this should be easy to get done.

Where does this board rank Terry against other Wr in NFL. I think he is top ten in NFL and needs to be paid extra to play in Washington.

Id put Terry right around Brown, Moore, Diggs in this context and comps for his deal. Ive said earlier I would give him the Brown deal. I think its actually a win for both sides. Terrys agent can push the 25 100 mil ish deal with the big gtd $. Also puts him in line to get another decent pay day around 31. Team wise they get to save face, keep Terry, and in all reality be paying him 19 mil aav in new money compared to the $25 mil aav that gets bandied about by the media. I do think putting a number ranking on them is hard. Personally I think Moore, Brown, Terry, Diggs, Dk and maybe a couple of others are so close in production and potential production in Terry and Moores case that putting a ranking on them comes down to preference. 

Edited by Mrshadow008
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Id put Terry right around Brown, Moore, Diggs in this context and comps for his deal. Ive said earlier I would give him the Brown deal. I think its actually a win for both sides. Terrys agent can push the 25 100 mil ish deal with the big gtd $. Also puts him in line to get another decent pay day around 31. Team wise they get to save face, keep Terry, and in 

I would not do this what would you think of Terry for Samuel ? I would rather just pay Terry but Debo wants to come back to the south. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I would not do this what would you think of Terry for Samuel ? I would rather just pay Terry but Debo wants to come back to the south. 

Nope. Terry is a better pure WR than Deebo and typically healthier. Also with the way the roster is currently constructed Deebo would be wasted here. Deebo is best used moving around the field, in and out of the backfield, running the ball at times, catching the ball out of the backfield. We already have three players on the roster that will likely be doing that in Gibson, JD, and Curtis if healthy 🤞. I just think as great as Deebo is that Terry is a much better roster fit the way its currently constructed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Financially, Terry has no leverage at all.  He's got a $2.7M salary, and a $3M salary cap hit..  None guaranteed for this year. 

If the team was truly playing hard-ball, they could say, "play or don't play on the $2.7, we can easily take the hit if you sit out all year.  Then, next year, we'll tag you.  Then we'll tag you again.  So now you're 28 and out there looking for your first big deal.  Btw, if you sit out for any part of the franchise tag seasons, you don't get paid for those games.

So, take $47M over 3 years (3+20+24) and like it. Don't show up, don't get paid, and we're not trading you.  Your move."

This isn't Terry's fault, it's the NFLPA's fault for allowing this situation to occur.  But Terry has NO financial leverage at all.

If he takes that "offer" he loses $20-$25M of total career compensation he will never, ever, in any way, get back.

So from a financial perspective, the team has ALL the leverage. Not that the did anything to get it, that's the way the CBA is set up.  They sortof fell into it, but they certainly know they have the leverage from that perspective.  And NOTE: Terry's side knows this also.  Terry is DESPERATLY trying to create leverage because he's at such a disadvantage from a financial perspective.  And I doubt the team would EVER say it out loud.  But they know it, and Terry's side knows it.  (For God's sake, if _I_ know it, certainly all of them do.)

From all other perspectives, Terry has the leverage.  The team wants him.  The team needs to win.  They need him in order to win. He's massively popular in the locker room.  He's massively popular with the fans.  He is one of the few guys who moves merch.  

So, from a negotiating standpoint, this is perfect.  BOTH sides have leverage, and neither can be completely stubborn.  It's in both side's best interest to get the deal done.  If they don't, it sucks for both sides.

This is different than Kirk because in that situation, Kirk was out of runway, so he was about to hit FA as a legitimate starting QB.  The team had NO leverage.  

This is different than Scherff because Scherff was a 1st round pick, and played Guard, but the franchise tag doesn't care about that, so he was tagged at tackle money.  Again, he had ALL the leverage, unless the team paid him tackle money for 2 years, it made no sense for him to sign a LTD less than the Tackle Franchise Tag value.

Because both sides have leverage, neither side can really "win" the negotiations.  They'll work it out.  

My concern is Terry's side is asking for the Hill guaranteed money, and the team wants to pay him the AJ Brown guaranteed money.  There is a $20M chasm there which will need to be filled.  But they will reach an agreement.  

• Thumb up 2

Its a game of chicken where both sides have leverage and both sides dont really have leverage.  First, the team has leverage because it ultimately can control the next few years of Terry's earning until hes 30.  Second, Terry has leverage because Ron and Co are in trouble and need to win THIS season.  And those reasons are why the other side doesnt have leverage.

While the team has control over his earnings for several years, and him sitting out would mean losing out on his one big contract(due to his age), they need him to win now.  While Terry knows they need to win now and so they need him, he also knows that if they dont blink hes screwed, and he will likely lose tens of millions in earnings, meaning his first real opportunity will be when hes 30 and on the decline.  So in the end, its a game of chicken where its about who blinks first and they both probably know it.  The only way either really wins is if they both win.  If Terry was younger, he would be in the drivers seat.  If the team has made the playoffs last year, Ron would be in the drivers seat.  As long as both sides are rational it gets done.  The real danger is someone does something completely irrational, or really angers and offends the other side.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYh-XtIMXJC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is Terry’s IG account. This post is from early January saying “see you next year” with fingers crossed. Interesting. Why weren’t we negotiating with him at this time!?!?

He also has a pic of himself fishing back on June 5th during OTAs. 

For your first question..it's because he is still under contract and no nfl team actively starts contract negotiations while the season is still in play (pretty sure it's not allowed under the current CBA but not a hundo on that).

And the man likes to fish 🤷‍♂️