Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

5 minutes ago, method man said:

I pulled together an analysis of the 2nd and 3rd WRs from 2020 and took a look at their first vs second years. The folks that have been good contributors in year 2 have consistently been players who showed something in year 1

What was the qualifying criteria of “good contributors”?

I’d say 30ish catches,400 to 500ish yards, 4ish TD is a solid second season.

Edited by KDawg

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I pulled together an analysis of the 2nd and 3rd WRs from 2020 and took a look at their first vs second years. The folks that have been good contributors in year 2 have consistently been players who showed something in year 1

In fairness, that's a very small list to use for comparison. Historically, at least the common myth was, it takes a receiver a year or two to learn to be an NFL receiver. Yes, they need to show flashes in their rookie year, but a lot of them struggle as suddenly their elite speed becomes pedestrian and they need to learn a new system, learn better route running, etc. McLaurin, as a wide receiver who came out of the gate almost a finished product, is the exception not the rule... though that may be changing as the college game has become more and more pass heavy.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

In fairness, that's a very small list to use for comparison. Historically, at least the common myth was, it takes a receiver a year or two to learn to be an NFL receiver. Yes, they need to show flashes in their rookie year, but a lot of them struggle as suddenly their elite speed becomes pedestrian and they need to learn a new system, learn better route running, etc. McLaurin, as a wide receiver who came out of the gate almost a finished product, is the exception not the rule... though that may be changing as the college game has become more and more pass heavy.

That expectation has shifted in the past few years. It seems receivers are now more ready for the NFL. Look at the last 3 drafts and note how many 2nd and 3rd receivers were major contributors for their teams year 1 (putting up at least the numbers KDawg was talking about

2019: Terry, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Deebo, Diontae Johnson, Hardman

2020: Higgins, Pittman Jr, Claypool

2021: Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore

There are also a number of guys who may have made this list had they not gotten blocked by strong starters at their positions (ex Van Jefferson)

Poverty franchise...lolol the Giants have not had a winning record at any point during a season since the start of 2017.

Since 2012, the Giants have no division titles and one playoff birth. Even our "poverty franchise" in that time span has three division titles.

The Giants are in the same tier as the Lions/Bengals/Browns. If we're a poverty franchise they're straight up a third world country.

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:12 AM, bakedtater1 said:

The pro bowl?...lol haaaa hahahaha...that's a popularity contest...Washington hasn't been popular scince..well scince social media started..early 90s about right?

Id really like to see Terry in a pro bowl this year.  He puts up another few big games he should be in.

"He will play 15 years, and not [only] because of his speed or catch ability," said Tyrann Mathieu, the Kansas City Chiefs' All-Pro safety. "It's his ability to win routes with execution. He's so crafty. And he can run every route on the route tree! He reminds me of the great ones who don't say much -- he just puts his head down and work hard."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Richard Sherman, who will likely end up in Canton one day, said of McLaurin: "He's one of the few blue-collar wide receivers in our league. There's no job he won't try to do."

"Terry is like carbon monoxide -- he's a silent killer," said Los Angeles Chargers cornerback Chris Harris Jr., a four-time Pro Bowl selection. "He doesn't say anything; he just works his tail off. He's a humble and hard-working individual."

...Said Baldwin: "He is a good human being and a winner. He is humble enough to identify and work on his weaknesses while having the intrinsic motivation to consistently refine his craft. All that tells me that he will continue to grow as a player and, more importantly, as a man. That's what I learned about him during our off-season sessions."

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/terry-mclaurin-blue-collar-mindset-earns-opponents-respect

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"He will play 15 years, and not [only] because of his speed or catch ability," said Tyrann Mathieu, the Kansas City Chiefs' All-Pro safety. "It's his ability to win routes with execution. He's so crafty. And he can run every route on the route tree! He reminds me of the great ones who don't say much -- he just puts his head down and work hard."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Richard Sherman, who will likely end up in Canton one day, said of McLaurin: "He's one of the few blue-collar wide receivers in our league. There's no job he won't try to do."

"Terry is like carbon monoxide -- he's a silent killer," said Los Angeles Chargers cornerback Chris Harris Jr., a four-time Pro Bowl selection. "He doesn't say anything; he just works his tail off. He's a humble and hard-working individual."

...Said Baldwin: "He is a good human being and a winner. He is humble enough to identify and work on his weaknesses while having the intrinsic motivation to consistently refine his craft. All that tells me that he will continue to grow as a player and, more importantly, as a man. That's what I learned about him during our off-season sessions."

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/terry-mclaurin-blue-collar-mindset-earns-opponents-respect

Thank you for sharing this I appreciate it.

17 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Question I've been thinking about: how much of a motivator do you think it will be for Chase Young and Montez Sweat if our defense suddenly turns it around after they are out for the remainder of the season? 

This has nothing to do with the thread.

And I had wondered the same thing lol…

5 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Terry is too humble .  He needs to demand the ball more.  His lack of urgency here will cost him a pro bowl.  Still feel lucky to have him here.

Him not making the Pro Bowl is a good thing. We can use it in contract negotiations to pay him a little bit less. Not that I want to lowball him, I'm okay paying him elite money, but ultimately its a business and you take whatever advantage you can get.