Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

On 5/31/2021 at 2:53 PM, GothSkinsFan said:

Andre the Giant versus Big John Studd, Capital Center, 1984.

F yeah, man.  The glory days when Washington had a football team, it's name was The Redskins, it was one of the best teams in the NFL, and dude, I saw Andre the Giant beat Big John Studd live.

Pay attention to your surroundings, kids.  One day they'll be what you tell the new kids was so awesome.

Totally random, but I have a baseball signed by Big John Studd that he hit out of Howrey Field in Annandale, VA over Braddock Rd after one of my Little League games. Must've been 600 ft in the air. Dude was a monster!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think Terry has a shot to make the top 10 next season.  His numbers were insane  until he faded big time at the end of the season after the two ankle injuries.

Ranking the NFL's top 10 wide receivers for 2021: Execs, coaches, players make their picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31739496/ranking-nfl-top-10-wide-receivers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks

Honorable mention

Calvin Ridley, Atlanta Falcons: "His ability to drop his weight at full speed and turn his hips is elite." -- AFC offensive coach

Allen Robinson II, Chicago Bears: "Him and Diggs are probably the best route runners. I've seen Robinson with bad QB play put up ridiculous numbers. Release off the ball ridiculous, radius terrific, knowledge second to none." -- NFL veteran offensive player

Odell Beckham Jr., Cleveland Browns: "With all the injuries and the production [decline] it's a concern. Not sure there's anyone better if he's healthy and in his prime. Play in and play out, not sure you can line him up and he can dominate a game anymore." -- AFC scout

Justin Jefferson, Minnesota Vikings: "He has almost like a Eurostep where he can Gumby his way into routes." -- AFC scout

Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams: "He's 'teach tape.' Does everything well." -- AFC offensive coach

Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: "He didn't have as big of a year but [he's] incredibly tough, played through pain on that hand injury and still produced in big moments." -- NFC defensive coach

Adam Thielen, Minnesota Vikings: "Savvy technique, route running, counter moves, toughness, he's still so good. And he has a knack for making plays in the end zone." -- AFC offensive coach

Terry McLaurin, Washington Football Team: "Speed and intangibles make him a top-10 receiver." -- AFC offensive coach

Jarvis Landry, Cleveland Browns: "One of the toughest players in football. And he's an underrated route runner." -- AFC exec

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Terry is going from the #1 and pretty much only weapon, to #3 with CS and Gibson and it should really improve his numbers.

He's just bracketed non-stop.  Kyle Allen threw an Int his way against the Giants, and it was bonkers how much attention he had verse the other receivers.  Safety bracketing the top and Bradberry under, and then another player in zone shading far towards McLaurin.

We better be able to exploit that this year with better talent around him.  Really want to see what McLaurin can do without as much defensive attention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Terry is going from the #1 and pretty much only weapon, to #3 with CS and Gibson and it should really improve his numbers.

He's still the #1 and by far our best receiving option. Samuel is a good player but more of a gadget-y type #2 slot/RB/WR hybrid type, not a reliable outside #1. I like GIbson a lot but we're gonna be a pass first team(as you should be in 2021).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

He's still the #1 and by far our best receiving option. Samuel is a good player but more of a gadget-y type #2 slot/RB/WR hybrid type, not a reliable outside #1. I like GIbson a lot but we're gonna be a pass first team(as you should be in 2021).

Terry is WR1 hands down, yes. That's why I said weapon. CS will be the focal point of the offense, followed by Gibson (I think). 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

With our defense I really hope you're wrong about us being a pass first team...I got no issue with the pass I just want to wear teams down on both sides of the ball by pounding the rock on one side and pounding the QB on the other. But if Fitz is gonna open things up while taking care of the ball I can live with that.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:18 AM, Thiscat41 said:

Totally random, but I have a baseball signed by Big John Studd that he hit out of Howrey Field in Annandale, VA over Braddock Rd after one of my Little League games. Must've been 600 ft in the air. Dude was a monster!

Im proud of myself for remembering Big John Studd.  Amazing story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

With our defense I really hope you're wrong about us being a pass first team...I got no issue with the pass I just want to wear teams down on both sides of the ball by pounding the rock on one side and pounding the QB on the other. But if Fitz is gonna open things up while taking care of the ball I can live with that.

A "pounding the rock" ball control offense isn't all that realistic in the current NFL like it was in the 80s and 90s. The way the rules and teams are built now is for high scoring and quick strike passing offenses.

Even if you tried as hard as you could to be a "pound the rock, stingy defense" old school team with the way the rules are now you'd have the deck stacked against you and you'd find yourself in (and losing) shootouts unless you had an absolutely legendary defense. Gotta adapt to the times.

As far as personnel, we're now much more set up to be a pass happy team anyway. We have plenty of weapons at WR now, a QB who loves to let it fly, and RBs who are also great receivers.

I understand your pull towards the old school game. But unfortunately, as Tarkin would say: "You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion"

• Like 1

You pass to get a lead, then you run it late to put games away. But the short passing game can replicate that anyway. The only really successful run first team in today's NFL is the Titans because King Henry is a freak but even then they didn't start winning until Tannehill became starter and they developed a passing game that's actually above average.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You pass to get a lead, then you run it late to put games away. But the short passing game can replicate that anyway. The only really successful run first team in today's NFL is the Titans because King Henry is a freak but even then they didn't start winning until Tannehill became starter and they developed a passing game that's actually above average.

I think this is true, but only partially. In today's NFL teams can score really fast, so unless you're up by a good amount late in the game, trying to sit on a small to moderate lead and just running the ball could be a recipe for disaster (unless your running game is already gashing them). Better off keeping your foot on their necks.

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

A "pounding the rock" ball control offense isn't all that realistic in the current NFL like it was in the 80s and 90s. The way the rules and teams are built now is for high scoring and quick strike passing offenses.

Even if you tried as hard as you could to be a "pound the rock, stingy defense" old school team with the way the rules are now you'd have the deck stacked against you and you'd find yourself in (and losing) shootouts unless you had an absolutely legendary defense. Gotta adapt to the times.

As far as personnel, we're now much more set up to be a pass happy team anyway. We have plenty of weapons at WR now, a QB who loves to let it fly, and RBs who are also great receivers.

I understand your pull towards the old school game. But unfortunately, as Tarkin would say: "You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion"

I wanna play the way Tennessee plays with Derrick Henry....teams still do it and win. Baltimore pounds the rock too. With our defense it can work...the more rested our defense is the better they will be. But I hear your point. 

They had Corey Davis to be their #2, who was miles better than our original #2 to start 2020...Dontrelle Inman.  Who we also cut midseason.

Derrick Henry was MVP caliber.  To be a run first team like Tennessee, Gibson would also have to be MVP caliber.

Otherwise, a run first team without a phenomenal running back, isn't going to have the passing efficiency that Tennessee had.  There'd be fewer passing attempts in neutral down/distance.

Harder to complete passes on 2nd and Long than 2nd and Medium/Short where a run is still a legit option.

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I wanna play the way Tennessee plays with Derrick Henry....teams still do it and win. Baltimore pounds the rock too. With our defense it can work...the more rested our defense is the better they will be. But I hear your point. 

Tennessee has Derrick Henry who is a freak, but they also have an above average passing game with a damn good QB in Ryan Tannehill and WRs AJ Brown and now Julio Jones(replacing Corey Davis who is/was also very good).

Baltimore has Lamar Jackson who might already be the best rushing QB ever, but you notice they fall apart in the playoffs when that gimmick crap stops working because he can't make real NFL throws consistently.

The best teams in the league are pass first, pass often.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Tennessee has Derrick Henry who is a freak, but they also have an above average passing game with a damn good QB in Ryan Tannehill and WRs AJ Brown and now Julio Jones(replacing Corey Davis who is/was also very good).

Baltimore has Lamar Jackson who might already be the best rushing QB ever, but you notice they fall apart in the playoffs when that gimmick crap stops working because he can't make real NFL throws consistently.

The best teams in the league are pass first, pass often.

The Browns, Bills, Titans and teams like the Super Bowl Niners in 2020 are all examples of teams who prioritize the run with solid defensive play. Green Bay has Aaron Jones who is a stud and they use him hard. We can argue this one all night but given the strength of our defense i think we'd be better off running the ball to set up the pass than the opposite. Fitz is pretty old to put it all on his arm. The Steelers are a good example of a team that got away from the run last year and suffered trying to throw the ball first....If you have a great defense you should focus on running the ball and wearing teams down. Let your defense have time to rest. Give me Beast Mode Seattle over all Russell Seattle all day long. Our defense will be even better with a run first offense.

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The Browns, Bills, Titans and teams like the Super Bowl Niners in 2020 are all examples of teams who prioritize the run with solid defensive play. Green Bay has Aaron Jones who is a stud and they use him hard. We can argue this one all night but given the strength of our defense i think we'd be better off running the ball to set up the pass than the opposite. Fitz is pretty old to put it all on his arm. The Steelers are a good example of a team that got away from the run last year and suffered trying to throw the ball first....If you have a great defense you should focus on running the ball and wearing teams down. Let your defense have time to rest. Give me Beast Mode Seattle over all Russell Seattle all day long. Our defense will be even better with a run first offense.

Those are examples of teams who ran more and relied on defense because they didn't have a good passing offense and/or QB play. Now that they have a legit top QB in Allen the Bills throw much more.

And sure, if you have Derrick Henry you can play like you have Derrick Henry. But we don't. That's sort of like saying "I wish we could just chuck the ball up to Calvin Johnson and he'd come down with it every time". Well, if you don't have Calvin Johnson, then there's not much point in that mental exercise.

But again, "running the ball and wearing teams down" as an overall strategy just doesn't work very well these days. The modern NFL game isn't very conducive to it. Teams with quick strike passing offenses can score quickly and then you're playing from behind and having to throw the ball more anyway.

The structure and rules are such that they cater to pass happy offensive systems. Now that we have a QB who will chuck it and good WRs to catch the passes, we can join the rest of the league.

Edited by mistertim

Bucs had a 52% pass ratio that only decreased in the playoffs, especially the SB.

Only two teams ran more than passed, and teams average 80% of their yards in the air, but the highest pass percentages belong to the worst teams, except the Chiefs.

It's a balanced league and the run still sets up the pass for almost every team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Bucs had a 52% pass ratio that only decreased in the playoffs, especially the SB.

And that's with the best QB ever throwing the ball. Ultimately its all about efficiency. You dont run into a stacked box. You dont throw into a stacked secondary. You use your weapons' to dictate the coverage, and then attack the perceived weakness. If you are right more than you are wrong, you are going to have a good offense. You dont pass to pass. You pass to take advantage of something.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

And that's with the best QB ever throwing the ball. Ultimately its all about efficiency. You dont run into a stacked box. You dont throw into a stacked secondary. You use your weapons' to dictate the coverage, and then attack the perceived weakness. If you are right more than you are wrong, you are going to have a good offense. You dont pass to pass. You pass to take advantage of something.  

Yeah good point, and this is the **** that drove me nuts for so long. The utter predictability. I remember watching one of our games a couple of season ago and Romo was commentating. He noted that we really didn't do much that was creative and on almost all of our plays he could tell exactly what we were going to run before we ran it just based on the package, formation, and who was on the field. Maddening.

• 1 month later...