Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

PleaseBlitz

3 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Seriously I’m tired of the us vs. them cycle. Guys, we’re all on the same side.

No we aren’t 

15 hours ago, Springfield said:

Seems a bit off.

Normal operation is to lay low and say nothing because all the hoopla encourages copy cats and other threats. There is truth to what they say about mass shootings getting too much media, they just say it for the wrong reasons. 

This is a credible threat though. My building isn’t letting people in today and they only take info and warning like this directly from the pentagon. 

Honestly, I really do think this is just a test run for the GOP. If Terry can beat Youngkin (without Trump), I expect to see him insert himself in further elections and we all know how toxic Trump is to elections. Even if Youngkin does win, I still expect Trump to come around. However, it will just be too late to do us Virginians any good.

Granted, we're not California, but we heard this same thing with the recall election. Its going to be a tight race, whats going to happen. We saw what happened, I hope VA doesn't let me down.

• Like 2

Here's What Virginia Could Look Like Under Governor Youngkin

Virginia is set to enter a new era under Glenn Youngkin, who prevailed with 51% of the vote for governor, according to NBC News. The Republican entrepreneur beat out Democrat and former governor Terry McAuliffe after they presented differing visions for the future of the commonwealth.

Virginians should expect Youngkin to pursue a number of policy changes, including on COVID-19 vaccine mandates, taxes and education, political analysts told News4.

“Administratively, particularly in terms of health and education, we’re likely to see pretty significant changes,” analyst Bob Holsworth said in the final days of the race.

Political analysts said Virginians can expect Youngkin to pursue changes in these areas:

Youngkin is expected to loosen or eliminate face mask mandates and vaccine mandates, including in schools, said Dr. Jatia Wrighten, a political science professor at Virginia Commonwealth University. Wrighten said she expects Youngkin to frame efforts to control the spread of COVID-19 in terms of one’s own rights, rather than our obligations to our communities.

Youngkin is expected to tighten restrictions on abortion. He has called himself “pro-life” and indicated support for restricting the procedure after 20 weeks of pregnancy, according to Washington Post fact checkers.

Youngkin’s “day one game plan” includes eliminating the state’s grocery tax, requiring voter approval for property taxes and temporarily suspending an increase to the gas tax.

Tax changes will need legislative approval, Carey and Holsworth each pointed out.

“The impact is more political for people than economic,” Holsworth said.

Analysts said they expect Youngkin to pursue major changes to education, including on teachings about race, the treatment of transgender students and the creation of charter schools.

Youngkin says he will ban the teaching of critical race theory, though it’s not part of any public school curriculum and doing so would likely take action by the legislature or state board of education.

Youngkin may push back on Gov. Ralph Northam’s criminal justice reforms, including as they relate to marijuana, Wrighten said.

Wrighten said she would watch whether Youngkin would pursue voter restrictions.

When Youngkin was asked last month about whether he would sign legislation restricting voting rights, he said he wanted to restore trust in the election process.

He proposed removing the Department of Elections from the purview of the governor's office and making it “independent,” restoring a voter ID requirement and making sure “voter rolls are updated.”

Click on the link for the full article

Captain White's Seafood is floating down the Washington Channel!  It unmoored from the Maine Avenue Fish Market and is floating away.  Owners have had a long dispute over leasing rates and they've apparently decided to move away.  So the whole structure is floating away.

No word on where it's going.

Maine_Avenue_Fish_Market,_SW_DC.jpg

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a feeling Youngkin is going to be like a dog that caught the car. 

People expect me to do all that **** I promised?

Another thing I haven't seen discussed is that Youngkin has ZERO experience serving in any level of government.  It's not rocket science, and certainly he can hire a staff to help guide him, but there is something to be said about knowing how the machine works.  It is much different than running a private equity firm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Another thing I haven't seen discussed is that Youngkin has ZERO experience serving in any level of government.  It's not rocket science, and certainly he can hire a staff to help guide him, but there is something to be said about knowing how the machine works.  It is much different than running a private equity firm.

This Bloomberg article indicates that he wasn’t all that great at private equity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/youngkin-made-bad-bets-carlyle-161042886.html

• 3 weeks later...

D.C. judge extends suspension of speedy trial rule

A D.C. Superior Court judge extended the suspension of the 'speedy trial' rule until next year, despite recent federal scrutiny about the D.C. jail's poor living conditions.

Chief Judge Anita Josey-Herring's order, which went into place at the beginning of the pandemic, suspended an individual's right to a jury trial within 100-days of their arrest. On Friday November 18th, she extended the order until April 8, 2022.

This means that those awaiting trial at D.C. correctional facilities with criminal charges may have to wait more than 100-days for a jury trial. The judge's order also gives law enforcement the discretion to release additional individuals on citations, suspends bench warrants in misdemeanor cases, halts weekend jail sentences, and allows inmates, either awaiting trial or on trial, to request emergency release from custody due to the pandemic.

Doug Buchanan, a spokesperson for the DC courts, told DCist/WAMU the judge's decision is due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic "and our inability to pack every courtroom in the court house."

But, Janet E. Mitchell, special counsel for the District's Public Defender Services, said in a statement to DCist/WAMU that the judge's decision demonstrates the "lack of concern for hundreds of residents who are pending trial and living in abhorrent conditions."

Mitchell added that the court has the ability to work through the backlog of cases, but isn't doing it.

"Instead, they are adding to it by waiting another four months before they even consider lifting the tolling, which will only add to the backlog and increase the population of (local) residents at the decrepit and abusive DC Jail."

The extended order comes at a time when the city's department of corrections is under increased scrutiny by the federal government for unacceptable conditions in correctional facilities.

Earlier this month, the District entered into an agreement with the federal government promising better living conditions at the D.C. jail after an investigation by federal authorities revealed an unacceptable standard of living - cell toilets clogged with human waste, guards withholding food and water from incarcerated persons, and the pervasive smell of marijuana throughout the jail. This prompted federal officials to announce the removal of 400 people in federal custody to another facility in Pennsylvania.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

He had an impossible job. Although all LE got hung up on white male in a white van for too long.

Indeed.  I'm a big fan of reading about both true and fictional crime, and I remember when they interviewed Patricia Cornwell (novelist and former ME for the Commonwealth of Virginia)...her profile was spot on (likely a black man with a military background), yet they kept looking for a white man.  I kept saying, "Why won't anyone listen to her??  I know she writes fiction, but REALLY?" 

• Like 1

I remember this event so clearly, I was in a brand new relationship with someone living in Fairfax and traveling from the Fort Hunt area to Fairfax was fraught with fear. These two terrorists picked well traveled public areas to shoot people. I avoided those kind of areas especially for gas, and went places off the beaten path. The relationship didn't last long and I was relieved that I wasn't going to Fairfax anymore. As it went on, most people felt the same way. 

The LE really fixated on white man white van, even though the car they were driving was described early on with the first murder. 

The end result for John Muhammad was the assassination of his ex-wife. As with much of violence, violence against women is a tell of these guys.

Vice TV had an excellent 8 part series that consisted of interviews with people who knew Muhammad, and interviews with Lee Malvo who is serving his sentence in Virginia. 

Edited to add clarity..

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

Maryland homeowner burned down house trying to fight snakes

snakefire-1024x768.jpeg

A Montgomery County, Maryland, homeowner burned their house down on Nov. 23 while trying to manage a snake infestation, officials said Thursday night.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer tweeted that the owner tried using smoke from coals to fight the serpents in a house on Big Woods Road near Poolesville.

• Haha 1