Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

PleaseBlitz

Landscape Architects Unveil Plans To Save The National Mall's Tidal Basin

Five landscape architects unveiled proposals Wednesday to save the sinking Tidal Basin on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. The plans run the gamut from a conservative approach to radical reimaginings.

The Tidal Basin connects centuries of American history and includes memorials to Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr. Some 1.5 million people walk along the basin's rim during the annual Cherry Blossom Festival each spring. But with increased car and foot traffic, the ground underneath is dipping. As sea levels rise, the walkways flood daily.

tidalbasin_0466_crsamkittner-d377aab011b

"After 130-some years, we've got pathways that are too narrow," says Teresa Durkin, executive vice president at the Trust for the National Mall. As a result, visitors are forced onto the grassy areas. "The trees get trampled," says Durkin. "The trees get flooded with the brackish water from the flooding. So there's a myriad of issues and problems here."

tb2-b6100c9132a5df0661110774059e7bd43378

Sensing the urgency, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Trust for The National Mall and National Park Service joined forces last year to create the Tidal Basin Ideas Lab.

Five leading landscape architects — DLANDstudio, GGN, Hood Design Studio, James Corner Field Operations and Reed Hilderbrand — agreed to come up with proposals that would rescue the vast land and waterscape. The firms were paid modest fees through a $750,000 grant from American Express. American Express is also an NPR sponsor.

While their aesthetic philosophies differ, each proposal addresses the very real ecological challenges.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

DC ballot initiative could decriminalize psychedelic plants, like magic mushrooms, in the city

This Election Day, voters in Washington, D.C., will consider a measure that, if approved, would effectively decriminalize the use of psychedelic plants, like ayahuasca and psilocybin mushrooms, more commonly known as magic mushrooms.

Initiative 81, or the Entheogenic Plant and Fungus Policy Act of 2020, would make the investigation and arrest for adult cultivation and use of psychedelic plants one of the lowest law enforcement priorities for the district's police department. It also contains a non-binding clause asking the D.C. attorney general to not prosecute anyone charged with an offense related to the substances.

Mysterious 'snake' spotted in Virginia turns out to be invasive worm

A Virginia wildlife management company shared photos of a mysterious "snake" that was later identified as an invasive species of large worm.

hammerhead_flatworm.jpg

Virginia Wildlife Management and Control posted photos to Facebook that were sent in by a caller to the company's Snake Identification Hotline after the creature was spotted in Midlothian.

The company later posted an update after experts identified the 10- to 12-inch animal as a hammerhead worm, an invasive species native to Southeast Asia.

The species is notoriously difficult to kill, as even a small fragment of its body can regenerate into a complete worm.

• Sad 1

Manassas Elects First Black, Woman Mayor

The city of Manassas, Virginia, made some history of its own on Election Day when residents elected the first Black, woman and Democratic mayor in the city's history.

"I went to breakfast this morning and my husband's telling everyone around us, 'This is your new mayor. This is your new mayor.' And it's just exciting," Michelle Davis-Younger told News4. "I still don't feel like it, but I guess it will set in at some point. Maybe when I swing that gavel for the first time."

Davis-Younger is a familiar face in the city of 41,000 people. She grew up in Manassas and her parents still live there.

• Like 1

Smithsonian's Native American Veteran's Memorial slated to open on Wednesday

This Veteran's Day, the Smithsonian National Native American Veterans Memorial in D.C. will open to the public for the first time.

The Memorial will honor the service and sacrifice of Native veterans, who according to Indian-Country Today, have the highest per-capita involvement of any population to serve in the U.S. military, and have served in every conflict since the Revolutionary War.

The Memorial sits on the groups of the National Museum of the American Indian on the National Mall on 4th Street, SW, and will be open 24 hours a day.

50547bb9-0bca-4dbb-875e-1a7b0f137b37-lar

• Thanks 1

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/11/19/gun-show-loses-fight-against-virginia-covid-regulations-virginia-ag/

The Nation’s Gun Show scheduled to take place at the Dulles Expo Center this weekend must comply with the commonwealth of Virginia’s covid restrictions, a judge in Fairfax ruled Thursday.

“To allow thousands to roam unchecked during the middle of the most serious health crisis this county has suffered in the past one hundred years is not in the public interest,” Judge Brett A. Kassabian ruled. “At worst, if the plaintiff is allowed to host this planned event, at an event where, just judging on what occurred in August, tens of thousands are allowed to gather over the course of three days and then leave, the risk of an unprecedented superspreader event infecting not only those persons but third parties that those persons come into contact with is substantial.”

In a statement, Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring said he was “pleased that the judge agreed that putting thousands of Virginians at risk for contracting COVID just so people could buy and sell guns at a gun show was not worth it and could have led to disastrous consequences.”

• Like 1

Fairfax County board approves indoor ski slope project, 'Fairfax Peak'

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (WJLA) — The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors voted to move forward with the Fairfax Peak project, which will eventually create more than 1,300 jobs.

The Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday, approving the agreement with Alpine-X. This will lead to the construction of "one of the largest indoor ski facilities in the world," according to the board. The plan includes building a 450,000 square foot facility, with its longest slope running around 1,700 feet.

ae643ea7-a4a9-498e-b4cc-81c276b9ca5c-lar

The plan approval did not specify where the ski slope project would be built; however, the agreement does allow more on-site research and "feasibility" studies.

This nutjob is back in the news...

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/11/19/entire-staff-quits-again-over-coffee-shop-owners-alleged-sexual-harassment-and-covid-denials/

Entire Staff Quits (Again) Over Coffee Shop Owner’s Alleged Sexual Harassment and Covid Denials

The entire staff of Alexandria coffee shop Killer ESP has quit en masse for the second time in the past six months. Employees allege that owner Rob Shelton willfully disregarded Covid-19 safety protocols and told staff and patrons they didn’t need to wear masks. They also echo previous allegations of sexual harassment, including unwelcome physical contact and sexual comments about their appearances.

“He blatantly said that Covid was a hoax, that it was stupid, that it didn’t make sense, that Trump was going to save the country and make it a paradise and Biden was a terrorist,” says former manager Mary Gmaz, 30, who walked out with four other teenage employees on Sunday.

Gmaz and other former employees say Shelton didn’t always wear a mask in the shop, and when he did, he usually didn’t cover his nose. She says he made fun of her for wearing a mask and offered to pay any fines if she was cited by health inspectors for not wearing one. “I don’t care about that. I want to not die,” she says. “I have MS. I have Lupus. I have a lot of immune-disorders, so I want to keep myself safe.”

Ella, a 15-year-old high-school student who worked at the shop part-time, says she witnessed the same behavior from Shelton. “He’s told us multiple times that Covid is stupid or it’s fake and that the government is trying to control us,” says Ella, who spoke to Washingtonian with her mother’s blessing. “I felt kind of unsafe because so many anti-maskers would come in, and I’m sure they knew about Rob’s standing.”

• Haha 1

UPDATED: George Floyd Reference in Science Question Prompts Controversy at H-B Woodlawn

A fill-in-the-blank question during a science class at H-B Woodlawn has caused an uproar.

The chemistry question, asked Tuesday during what ARLnow is told was a 10th grade class, references the police killing of George Floyd.

“George Floyd couldn’t breathe because a police officer put his _____ George’s neck,” the question reads. The answer is “neon,” the element that sounds like “knee on.”

Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-1.34.57-PM-600

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, China said:

No weekend service?  Hopefully if they institute that they will reverse the decision once COVID has passed and people feel comfortable getting on trains together again.

I'm sure they'll need to bring back something...but I don't think it'll ever be what it was. People will continue to leave cities. 

Bears are now waging war against us and Christmas:

Bear caught on camera destroying Christmas display in Fairfax County

A Nest camera caught a bear destroying a Fairfax County family's Santa inflatable Christmas display and the animal is also suspected in a string of other similar incidents in the South Run neighborhood.

Melissa Ashby says she and her neighbors had noticed some inflatable holiday displays were slashed over the last few days.

On Thursday morning, she found her Santa inside a helicopter display deflated and ruined.

Ashby checked her surveillance camera and saw it was the work of a bear.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Haha 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2020/12/09/street-closures-dc-protests/

Street closures planned Saturday in downtown Washington for pro-Trump rallies

The first rally is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. at the Capitol. The largest is expected to begin at noon at Freedom Plaza, led by a group called Women for America First. A permit application filed with the National Park Service indicates organizers expect about 5,000 attendees.

The rallies in support of Trump’s efforts to overturn the results of the election he lost to President-elect Joe Biden come two days before the electoral college will meet and vote in state capitals across the nation.

I have to go downtown this afternoon anyways, I may print out some "Participation Trophies" and scatter them around LaFayette Square.  

• Haha 3

20,000 pounds of cheese balls spill on I-495 after tractor-trailer crash

ROCKVILLE, MD (WBFF) - Maryland Department of Transportation says thousands of pounds of cheese balls spilled from a tractor-trailer onto I-495 in Montgomery County.

State Highway Administration said:

At 2:23 pm, there was a crash involving tractor trailer loaded with 20,000 pounds of cheese balls. This was at I-495 OL between MD 355 and MD 187. We have a sand truck there to help clean up the scene. At this time, we have two right lanes closed.

I'm not a John Denver fan but I thought this was a pretty cool story about his famous hit song - Take Me Home, Clopper Country Roads

“Take me home, Clopper Road” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, but the Gaithersburg, Maryland, road was the inspiration behind the song that gave John Denver his first platinum single.

Later this month marks 50 years since “Take Me Home, Country Roads” was first performed in public, at the tiny Cellar Door, at the intersection of 34th and M streets, in Georgetown.

But that’s getting ahead of ourselves — John Denver had never heard of the song until the night before.

https://wtop.com/dc/2020/12/real-story-behind-take-me-home-country-roads-debut-50-years-ago-in-dc-club/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1