Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

PleaseBlitz

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I went to a school where we were ASSIGNED a "banned" book and were asked to discuss not only the book but the reasoning behind it's controversy. 

100% chance those kids are embarrassed by their parents. If my kid came home with something similar, I'd probably read it myself, get the context, and help them understand it. Calling yourself a mAmA bEaR and screaming at meetings aint it. 

Eventually, these people are going to overstep their boundaries to the point where no one will be able to entertain their stupid rhetoric. I'm hoping they go after Shakespeare or something of that nature.

DC moves to shut down bar for refusing to enforce vaccine card mandate

A bar in Northeast, D.C. that repeatedly refused to enforce the city’s new vaccine card entry requirement is being referred to the DC Attorney General’s Office for possible suspension of its liquor license, effectively shutting down the business.

On Wednesday, the District’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Board voted to refer The Big Board on H Street to the District’s Office of the Attorney General to draft a Summary Suspension Notice, according to Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration spokesperson Jared Powell.

The action comes after an ABRA inspector found violations to the city’s indoor mask mandate and vaccine card entry requirement during four separate inspections over six days in January. 

On Friday, Jan. 14, the inspector issued a verbal warning to the establishment for failure to require face masks. On Jan. 15, 18 and 20 inspectors returned, each time finding The Big Board was not requiring customers to show proof of vaccination, as required by a new law that went into effect for all bars, restaurants gyms and movie theaters on Jan. 15.

A Go Fund Me with the purpose of “fighting against vaccine mandates in Washington DC” has raised nearly $15,000 as of Thursday to pay that fine and others for The Big Board defying the order. 

Since the vaccine card entry mandate went into effect, the Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration or ABRA has already issued warnings to at least six different bars or restaurants for not checking vaccination verification.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2

Former NASA Executive Gets Life in Prison After He ‘Executed’ Neighbor and National Guard Member in Shooting Recorded by Ring Doorbell

A former NASA executive and police officer in Virginia will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars for killing his neighbor, a member of the Maryland National Guard, in a shooting that was entirely caught on a Ring doorbell camera.

Michael-Hetle-in-the-moments-after-he-sh

A Fairfax County judge handed down a life sentence with the possibility of parole to 52-year-old Michael Hetle for shooting his next-door neighbor Javon Prather seven times just moments after the 24-year-old knocked on his front door, Washington, D.C. CBS affiliate WUSA reported.

According to the report, the two neighbors had a very contentious relationship dating back to 2016 that culminated with Prather being shot while standing on the porch of Hetle’s home located on Bedstraw Court in Fairfax.

Video of the March 3, 2020 shooting was captured by Hetle’s own Ring doorbell camera.

The damning footage was played during Hetle’s trial that ended with a jury in October finding him guilty on charges of first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, D.C. news station WTOP-FM reported.

“The video from the defendant’s front porch showed jurors what it actually looked like when the defendant opened fire on Javon,”  prosecutors reportedly wrote in a sentencing memo submitted prior to Friday’s hearing. “The jurors were able to see the shock on Javon’s face. They saw Javon run for his life. They saw the defendant go after Javon and continue to fire. They saw Javon crumple to the ground as a bullet struck his spine. They saw the defendant take aim at Javon on the ground and fire one more round into Javon’s body.”

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, China said:

Former NASA Executive Gets Life in Prison After He ‘Executed’ Neighbor and National Guard Member in Shooting Recorded by Ring Doorbell

A former NASA executive and police officer in Virginia will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars for killing his neighbor, a member of the Maryland National Guard, in a shooting that was entirely caught on a Ring doorbell camera.

Michael-Hetle-in-the-moments-after-he-sh

A Fairfax County judge handed down a life sentence with the possibility of parole to 52-year-old Michael Hetle for shooting his next-door neighbor Javon Prather seven times just moments after the 24-year-old knocked on his front door, Washington, D.C. CBS affiliate WUSA reported.

According to the report, the two neighbors had a very contentious relationship dating back to 2016 that culminated with Prather being shot while standing on the porch of Hetle’s home located on Bedstraw Court in Fairfax.

Video of the March 3, 2020 shooting was captured by Hetle’s own Ring doorbell camera.

The damning footage was played during Hetle’s trial that ended with a jury in October finding him guilty on charges of first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, D.C. news station WTOP-FM reported.

“The video from the defendant’s front porch showed jurors what it actually looked like when the defendant opened fire on Javon,”  prosecutors reportedly wrote in a sentencing memo submitted prior to Friday’s hearing. “The jurors were able to see the shock on Javon’s face. They saw Javon run for his life. They saw the defendant go after Javon and continue to fire. They saw Javon crumple to the ground as a bullet struck his spine. They saw the defendant take aim at Javon on the ground and fire one more round into Javon’s body.”

Prather was at least the third person this guy has killed.  He killed two people over the years when he was a cop in Washington state.  Enjoy prison.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Leon Harris Involved in Car Crash, Charged with DUI

Leon Harris, an anchor at News4, was arrested and charged with DUI Saturday following a car crash in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Harris was driving along Bradley Boulevard near River Road when his vehicle rear-ended another car, a Montgomery County police report said. The vehicle that police said Harris' car struck then collided with a third car.

No one was seriously injured, police said.

When officers arrived, Harris tried to leave the scene but was stopped by police, according to the police report.

Harris failed a field sobriety test, police said. The arrest report said officers conducted a breathalyzer test and that Harris' result was twice the legal limit of .08% BAC.

We've reached out to Harris for comment.

Harris will not appear on-air as the investigation continues.

• Sad 1

Virginia House OKs bill to halt minimum wage increases

The Republican-controlled Virginia House has passed a bill that would halt future scheduled increases in the state’s minimum wage.

But the measure is not expected to pass the Democrat-controlled state Senate.

The House advanced the bill from Del. Nick Freitas on a 51-48 vote.

Democrats have argued that wages haven’t kept pace with productivity and that the scheduled increases will lift up workers and help families.

Republicans said that the government shouldn’t set wages and that the increases will hurt small businesses.

A Senate committee has already killed a similar bill introduced in that chamber.

• Thumb down 3

38 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Ok guys, I'm putting it in writing: I give Youngkin one year until we have significant talks about a recall.

I bet this woman will sign the petition:

"Read the room, buddy."  

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Is there a recall process in VA?

Laws governing recall in Virginia

Code § 24.2-233 states that "Upon petition, a circuit court may remove from office any elected officer or officer who has been appointed to fill an elective office, residing within the jurisdiction of the court."[2]

The statute can be interpreted to generally mean all locally elected officials can be recalled. However, given ambiguity in the statute language, particularly in regard to court jurisdiction, it is unclear as to what extent the recall process would apply to state officers. There is no precedent of a Virginia state legislator or governor having faced recall, nor has the process been litigated in the courts. Removal of the Virginia Governor by impeachment is provided for in the Virginia Constitution.[1][3]

Code § 24.2-233 states acceptable reasons for recall when it has "material adverse effect upon the conduct of the office" include:[2]

- Neglect of duty
- Misuse of office
- Incompetence in the performance

Other acceptable reasons include:

- Conviction of a misdemeanor relating to drugs
- Conviction of a misdemeanor involving a "hate crime"

Click on the link for more

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Youngkin is doing everything he campaigned on.  I hate that he was elected.  He makes me sick.  I don’t see how you can recall him though.

He was straddling the fence between "suburb conservative " and "maga chud". To be honest, he didn't really campaign ion anything besides parents making decisions for students. He hinted at Trump like tactics, admitted some, but never went full maga chud. A lot of people were wondering if he might actually end up leaning towards the moderate side. However, that would mean being a good governor, that is too hard, can't have that. 

I'm making another bold prediction: you're going to see a lot of pushback from teachers before school starts again. I expect the teacher's union to get involved as well.

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

He was straddling the fence between "suburb conservative " and "maga chud". To be honest, he didn't really campaign ion anything besides parents making decisions for students. He hinted at Trump like tactics, admitted some, but never went full maga chud. A lot of people were wondering if he might actually end up leaning towards the moderate side. However, that would mean being a good governor, that is too hard, can't have that. 

I'm making another bold prediction: you're going to see a lot of pushback from teachers before school starts again. I expect the teacher's union to get involved as well.

I mean, when he wouldn’t answer that Biden won the election, I knew he’d put Virginia on a path to Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, etc.

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

I bet this woman will sign the petition:

"Read the room, buddy."  

https://dcist.com/story/22/02/04/youngkin-tax-cuts-masks-northern-virginia-visit/

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin visited a Safeway in Alexandria on Thursday to pitch his economic agenda, a collection of tax cuts and tax rebates he says will put money back into the pockets of Virginians struggling with inflation at the grocery store and at the gas pump.

“This is our chance to cut the cost of living and invest, and this is why Virginians, not Republicans, but Virginians, sent us to Richmond to go get this done,” Youngkin told press at the event.

But visitors at Safeway had other issues on their minds, including Youngkin’s executive order rescinding the mask mandate in schools.

At one point, the governor, who was unmasked, was confronted by a customer in the checkout line.

“Governor, where’s your mask?” the woman yelled over the sound of cash registers beeping and the rustling of grocery bags.

“We’re all making choices here,” Youngkin replied.

“Look around you, Governor, you’re in Alexandria,” the woman replied. “Read the room, buddy.”

Employees and most customers were masked, and a sign outside one entrance requested people entering the store to wear masks during times of high or significant community transmission.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:58 PM, China said:

Little Mermaid Pop-Up Bar Offers ****tails, Theater

A new pop-up bar in Northeast D.C. will have customers traveling under the sea for an evening of drinks, theater and a beloved tale like it’s never been seen before. News4’s Tommy McFly reports on the Little Mermaid pop-up bar.

Click on the link for the video

"That's a great idea!" said 1991.

[Actually that looks like it could be a fun evening...]

Edited by Dan T.

Second gentleman safe after being evacuated from Washington, DC, high school after bomb threat

Second gentleman Doug Emhoff is safe after being ushered out of a room at a Washington, DC, high school by the Secret Service after a bomb threat to the building, his spokesperson said.

"U.S. Secret Service was made aware of a security threat at a school where the @SecondGentleman was meeting with students and faculty. Mr. Emhoff is safe and the school has been evacuated. We are grateful to Secret Service and D.C. Police for their work," Emhoff's spokesperson Katie Peters wrote on Twitter.

Vice President Kamala Harris has been in touch with Emhoff since the evacuation and "he's OK," a White House official said.

District of Columbia Public Schools press secretary Enrique Gutierrez told reporters at the event that a bomb threat had been called into Dunbar High School in Northwest Washington, where Emhoff was holding an event.

"We had a threat today to the facility, so we did — basically we took the precaution of evacuating everybody, as you saw. I think everyone is safe. The building is clear. But I don't have any specific details at this moment," Gutierrez told reporters at the event.