Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

PleaseBlitz

I-66 toll lanes scheduled to open in December

Express Lanes will start in Gainesville
With less than six months until the expected opening date for the Interstate 66 Outside the Beltway toll lanes, work crews are cranking through over $30 million worth of work per month as they race to the megaproject’s finish line.

The 22.5-mile, $3.7 billion public-private Transform 66 project remains on schedule for a December opening of the new toll lanes, but plenty of work remains, project officials from the Virginia Department of Transportation and I-66 Mobility Partners told InsideNoVa.

Most of the major interchange bridge projects are nearly completed, but as motorists in the area have seen, major work on the Route 28 interchange bridge remains ongoing. Recently, one of the biggest pieces of the whole project – a massive box girder on the bridge – was installed, a project that required significant planning.

“It’s very difficult; you have to make sure that … every bridge that you are bringing this beam across can handle the load of the beam just coming across,” Susan Shaw, VDOT’s regional transportation program director for Northern Virginia, told InsideNoVa before the move. “It took them quite a while to identify a route that could be permitted to get this beam on site.”

The installation required the complete shutdown of I-66’s westbound lanes just east of Route 28 for two nights and about 16 hours.

“These are massive, massive girders,” said Nancy Smith, spokesperson for the design-build contractor FAM. “Those allow us to span the highway with those, and then we’ll have what you think of as traditional bridge beams that will set and tie into that.”

Meanwhile, ramp reconfiguration is still underway at Stringfellow Road in Fairfax, closing down the access ramps until early September, and lane shifting will continue near Vienna until about the same time.

Outside of the bridge work, one of the other main tasks still left before completion is paving, which drivers along the corridor can see going on regularly. Shaw said one of the biggest changes drivers are seeing is that, in many instances, hard barriers between work crews and drivers are gone, meaning motorists need to remain attentive and proceed carefully through the work zones.

Click on the link for the full article

I'm surprised they didn't re-use these signs during this construction:

slide_7.jpg

Police identify 17-year-old pulled from Potomac after search for missing boater (msn.com)

A 17-year-old's body was pulled from the Potomac River in Northwest D.C. last week, according to D.C. police. 

The teen was identified by police as Ceph Christie, 17 of NE D.C.

Authorities spent last week searching for a missing boater in the Potomac River after D.C. Fire and EMS officials said witnesses reported seeing someone trying to swim to a loose skiff and was not seen again.

121463942_3640068646056779_2935356799439

This young man was A family friends Nephew. He was by all accounts a very nice young man and promising baseball player. RIP Ceph Christie

• Sad 5

Law Enforcement Investigating Car Crash, Gunshots, and Suicide on East Capitol Street

August 14, 2022 
Press Release

---------- UPDATE:  2:45 p.m. ----------

Next of kin has been notified in relation to this morning’s incident. The man has been identified as 29-year old Richard A. York the 3rd of Delaware. It is still not clear why he chose to drive to the Capitol Complex.

---------- ORIGINAL NEWS RELEASE ----------

Just after 4:00 a.m., a man drove his car into the vehicle barricade at East Capitol Street and Second Street.

While the man was getting out of the car, it became engulfed in flames.

The man then fired several shots into the air along East Capitol Street.

When our officers heard the sound of gunfire, they immediately responded and were approaching the man when he shot himself.

Nobody else was hurt.

At this time, it does not appear the man was targeting any Members of Congress, who are on recess, and it does not appear officers fired their weapons.

Our investigators are looking into the man’s background.

DC’s Metropolitan Police Department is handling the death investigation.

https://www.uscp.gov/media-center/press-releases/law-enforcement-investigating-car-crash-gunshots-and-suicide-east

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/loudoun-county-businessmen-charged-by-feds-in-multi-million-credit-card-scam/article_60b68914-1aa6-11ed-8f9c-ab3e70b5d739.html

Loudoun County businessmen charged by feds in multi-million credit card scam

Two Loudoun County beer, bourbon, bottled water and wine makers distilled a recipe for a multi-million dollar credit card fraud, according to the Department of Justice.

Hadi Akkad and Edward Walsh Vaughan were indicted by a federal grand jury in Texas on conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering charges on July 13, according to court documents. The indictments were in U.S. District Court in the eastern district in Sherman, Texas. Also indicted were Gina Ellingsen, Sean Lynch, Jill Hall Mandichak and Katherine Nguyen. Hall Mandichak is a county resident and photographer who owns the Love Runs Wild photography company, according to the company’s website.

Akkad is the CEO of Flying Ace Farm Distillery and Brewery. 

lol 

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/loudoun-county-businessmen-charged-by-feds-in-multi-million-credit-card-scam/article_60b68914-1aa6-11ed-8f9c-ab3e70b5d739.html

Loudoun County businessmen charged by feds in multi-million credit card scam

Two Loudoun County beer, bourbon, bottled water and wine makers distilled a recipe for a multi-million dollar credit card fraud, according to the Department of Justice.

Hadi Akkad and Edward Walsh Vaughan were indicted by a federal grand jury in Texas on conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering charges on July 13, according to court documents. The indictments were in U.S. District Court in the eastern district in Sherman, Texas. Also indicted were Gina Ellingsen, Sean Lynch, Jill Hall Mandichak and Katherine Nguyen. Hall Mandichak is a county resident and photographer who owns the Love Runs Wild photography company, according to the company’s website.

Akkad is the CEO of Flying Ace Farm Distillery and Brewery. 

lol 

Wow.  The story gets wilder as you go.  Steroids, sexually assaulting his employees.  What a lunatic.

image.jpeg.d870602c31aaa5af60a397af1ca6e099.jpeg

No mother****ing doubt.

Edited by Ball Security

The alleged fraud involved Ashburn-based Electronic Transactions System Corp. Vaughan was ETS president and Akkad was executive vice president. The indictments describe the company as a middleman communicating credit card transaction information between banks and merchants.

The company’s LinkedIn profile says it formed in 1994 and describes it as an “innovator” with the “latest technologies to service and enable all merchants with the most comprehensive processing solutions.” But the indictments said the defendants used the company to overcharge processing fees involving about 7,000 clients and nearly 87 million transactions.

This is basically the plot of Office Space. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Reverie in Gtown burned down.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/08/15/fire-severely-damages-michelin-starred-restaurant-reverie-in-georgetown/

Michelin-starred tasting menu restaurant Reverie in Georgetown was devastated by a fire in the kitchen area early Friday morning.

“The fire and smoke damage is extensive and we will have to completely rebuild. We’ve been saying from day 1 we aren’t going anywhere and this won’t stop us, it will only make us better,” chef/owner Johnny Spero posted on Instagram. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Landlord gets $50K after deputies use Taser in false arrest

A jury has awarded $50,000 to a northern Virginia landlord who was shot three times with a stun gun when sheriff's deputies wrongly arrested him following a tenant's complaint.

Matthew Souter, 57, of The Plains, Virginia, was arrested at his home in November 2018 after a tenant in his 19th-century farmhouse claimed he had violated a protective order she had obtained a day earlier.

Before the trial began Tuesday in federal court, a judge ruled that the three Fauquier County sheriff's deputies who arrested Souter violated his constitutional rights.

The tenant claimed Souter violated the protective order by shutting off her utilities, which Souter denied. But even if he had cut off the power, Judge T.S. Ellis III said the plain language of the protective order merely barred Souter from committing acts of violence against the tenant, and shutting off the utilities would not qualify as a violation.

As a result, this week’s jury trial focused solely on the question of what damages, if any, should be awarded to Souter.

The jury decided late Thursday to award a total of $50,000 in compensatory damages, and no punitive damages.

The officers had argued that they should be held harmless; they noted that it was a magistrate who actually issued the arrest warrant, albeit at the request of one of the deputies. And they said they were entitled to qualified immunity, which protects law enforcement officers from a wide swath of legal liability.

Ellis, though, said that “qualified immunity is not for blunders,” and ruled as a matter of law that the deputies violated Souter's rights.

“If you have a lot of power, you've got to be carful how you exercise that power," Ellis told the lawyers at the trial's outset, outside the jury's presence. “It was a mistake a law enforcement officer should not have made.”

Ellis also said it's settled law that, based on rulings from the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, that individuals are within their rights to resist an unlawful arrest, and that any force used to effectuate a false arrest is by definition excessive force.

DC woman yells ‘shoot me’ at armed attacker, fends him off

A Washington, D.C., woman confronted an armed attacker who aimed a gun at her, refusing to hand over her property until the man gave up and walked away.

Iris Bond Gill says shouting at the man was her gut instinct, according to Fox 5. Surveillance footage shows her initially react with fear when the attacker points a gun at her, dropping her bags and briefly putting her hands up.

"What the f--k? No," she says, causing the man to back up.

The man then walks forward again and gestures for her to give him a bag, but she does not comply. He then gives up and runs away.

"You know, it’s really complicated to think about now. I don’t exactly remember, but I know — I knew I was in danger. And so I just threw off my bag and just prepared to be confrontational," Bond Gill told Fox 5.

Click on the link for the full story

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Are we sure she wasn't having a very bad day and actually ready to die?

It's not unheard of for some robbers to actually not be ready to actually kill for what they asking for, hoping the gun alone is enough to get what they want.

That's a helluva risk to find out the hard way, and straight facts on we all think we know what we gonna do until we are actually in that situation (and what we determine at the time to be worth it)

Definitely not sure she wasn’t just ready to die…

my point is property isn’t worth dying over. Just like I don’t believe it’s worth killing over to protect. 

“woman scares would be robber with gun into running away” sounds like a great headline. 

but for every one of those we got tons of “person murdered for not giving up their <whatever>“ headlines. 

our running back is in the hospital for being shot multiple times yesterday for trying to stop someone from stealing his car. It’s currently unclear whether his multi-million dollar career will be ruined because of it. 

I’m glad it worked out for her but it’s not worth it. 

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Are we sure she wasn't having a very bad day and actually ready to die?

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Definitely not sure she wasn’t just ready to die…

Based on what she said in the article, it doesn't sound like she had a death wish:

"I’ve seen the video and, to be honest, I saw a young man in front of me. And I saw in him, I think what I’ve seen a lot of young people I’ve worked with over the years. And in some way, I think I went into almost a chastising mode with him as well," she added. Bond Gill has a long career in education.

But definitely a reckless decision.  I agree your life is not worth your property.

21 minutes ago, China said:

Based on what she said in the article, it doesn't sound like she had a death wish:

But definitely a reckless decision.  I agree your life is not worth your property.

Man... she calmed down to give an interview, she dared him to shot her multiple times not knowing if he would or not in that video clip.  

Swann Street Has a New Name. What About the Song “Swann Street”?

Swann Street has a new name: Swann Street. The road in Northwest DC is believed to have been named for Thomas Swann, a 19th-century congressman and governor of Maryland. But recently, the Dupont Circle ANC passed a resolution to honor a different person with the same surname: William Dorsey Swann. The signs won’t change; their meaning very much will.

Though the two Swanns shared that same quintet of letters, they could not have been more different. Thomas, born into privilege, was a slave owner who lived in Leesburg’s Morven Park mansion. William Dorsey, meanwhile, was born a slave, then moved to Washington and became a remarkable queer-rights pioneer. In the late 1800s, he staged a series of secret balls where a group of formerly enslaved men—dubbed the House of Swann—dressed up in women’s clothes. He called himself the Queen of Drag. When the cops raided one such gathering in 1888, Swann fought back, and the ensuing fracas is considered one of the earliest acts of LGBTQ+ resistance.

• 2 weeks later...