Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

PleaseBlitz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/interactive/2023/front-porch-restaurant-virginia-dispute/

The Plains. Gay couple operate a restaurant in town. Jan 6 couple moves in to live in and operate a financial services business next door. Floods the town with FOIA requests, petitions, and complaints to try to get the restaurant shut down. 

Fun times in quaint rural America.

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/interactive/2023/front-porch-restaurant-virginia-dispute/

The Plains. Gay couple operate a restaurant in town. Jan 6 couple moves in to live in and operate a financial services business next door. Floods the town with FOIA requests, petitions, and complaints to try to get the restaurant shut down. 

Fun times in quaint rural America.

They named their son Regan and stormed the Capital, they're guilty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That article was hilarious. Team Insurrection made so many calls to the health department trying to get the restaurant shut down, and the health dept kept NOT finding violations, they started treating these assholes like crank callers. 

The Washers continued to complain. By the summer of 2022, “it was getting out of hand with the emails,” said Whitney Wright, senior environmental health manager at the Rappahannock-Rapidan Health District. So Wright visited the Washers last June and told Mike there were no laws against foul smells.

Virginia regulations, Wright explained, require trash bins to be kept on solid ground. “Are they properly kept? Do they have tightfitting, closed lids? Those types of things, which, when we inspected, were the case every time,” Wright told The Post.

They also refused to wear masks during Covid, of course. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That article was hilarious. Team Insurrection made so many calls to the health department trying to get the restaurant shut down, and the health dept kept NOT finding violations, they started treating these assholes like crank callers. 

They also refused to wear masks during Covid, of course. 

The Washers are the victims though…so they say. Persecuted even.

I’ve spent twice as much at Chipotle than they have at that restaurant. Doesn’t mean I can roll in there with no shirts and no shoes.

We live in a society, man.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Definitely texting. 

Sometimes in traffic as I am slowly passing cars on one side or the other I look over to see who is on their phone. It's damn near ninety percent. People clearly scrolling through texts and more. It's maddening to me that people aren't being constantly ticketed for it. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 1

‘Once in a lifetime’ catch: Virginia fisherman reels in rare blue-mouthed mutation

After fishing in the same private pond in Caroline County for 20 years, this fisherman reeled in a catch he never would have expected.

John Byrd, of Bowling Green, had caught a rare 11-and-a-half-inch blue-mouth chain pickerel.

fish-rotated-2.jpg?w=1280&fb_obo=1&utld=

Byrd contacted a Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources regional fisheries biologist and was told that the fish had a “wild genetic pigment mutation” and that the catch “pretty much falls into the one-in-a-lifetime category of catches” but was otherwise normal.

Click on the link for the full article

Loudoun Co. leaders vow to fight Dulles Greenway's proposed 40% hike in peak time tolls

Loudoun County leaders are bracing for a fight with the owner of the Dulles Greenway over a proposal that would send tolls at peak times soaring over eight dollars, even for drivers who only use a small portion of the toll road.

The Dulles Greenway recently announced it wants to raise tolls that went into effect early last year. Currently the flat fee for drivers using all or portions of the road is $5.25 during off-peak hours and $5.80 during peak times, and the Greenway wants to raise that to $6.40 off-peak and $8.10 for peak.

• Thumb down 1

Yea, the guy selling the wall is being a huge dick.  It's deteriorating and causing serious structural problems for the townhouse it's attached to (owned by a single mom and her baby).  The wall is worth $600 according to city tax assessments, so the mom offered the owner $600 for it so she could take care of it.  He acquired it for nothing, his father acquired it for like $5 decades ago and passed it on when he died.  But he wants $50,000.  The city should eminent domain this ****ing thing and give the guy as little as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Couple of different threads this could go in but since potential effect on DMV:

Largest US Grid Declares Emergency Alert For July 27

PJM, which serves more than 65 million people from Washington, DC to Illinois, warned of potential tight conditions earlier in the week and asked generators to prepare”

unplug those damn EVs and get the old Volvo out the garage 

• 3 weeks later...

BREAKING: Numerous crashes block I-395 after truck hit-and-run suspect steals Arlington ambulance

The incidents started shortly after 3:30 p.m., with reports of a stolen Freightliner truck striking vehicles on I-66 in the Rosslyn area and again on northbound I-395 just before the 14th Street Bridge. I-395 was blocked by the crashes and at least two people were hurt, including one with reported significant injuries.

The same hit-and-run suspect then allegedly stole another truck before hopping in and stealing an Arlington ambulance around 4:15 p.m. Medics tried to pull the suspect out of the ambulance but he drove off, leading Virginia State Police — followed by Arlington police — on a chase through parts of Crystal City and Pentagon City. The suspect struck numerous vehicles on the northbound HOV lanes of I-395 as he fled into D.C., according to Virginia State Police.

Screenshot-2023-08-12-at-4.30.18-PM.jpg

Eventually the ambulance was stopped on I-395 in southwest D.C. and the suspect taken into custody, according to Virginia State Police.

All northbound lanes of I-395, including HOV lanes, were blocked as of 4:45 p.m., with delays on the highway extending upwards of two miles. The HOV lanes reopened by 6:15 p.m. while crews continued to clear the crash scene in the still-blocked main lanes. As of 7:15 p.m. two main lanes had reopened, per VDOT.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/transportation/east-or-west-i-66-signs-give-conflicting-directions-to-dc/3401413/

The Virginia Department of Transportation is replacing a sign on Interstate 66 that says to go west to get to D.C., which is to the east.

On a busy stretch of I-66 at Nutley Street in Vienna, there’s a sign for I-66 East to Washington, but just in front of it, there’s a sign for I-66 West to Washington.  

• Haha 1

I don't remember seeing so much fair evasion as a kid, probably because back in the day the employees in those booths put the fear of God in you just for looking at them funny. I remember as kids trying to eat a snack on the metro and a wmata employee would appear out of thin air to scold you. 

• Like 1

‘I was prepared to die': Howard U. students attacked by large group

At least one student was stabbed and several others were injured in a violent brawl outside two residence halls at Howard University early Monday morning.

“I was prepared to die,” one victim said. “When I was on the ground getting stomped out, I just stopped feeling the pain at one point.”

Victims described the attackers as “a bunch of D.C. locals.”

“It was like maybe 5, 10, 20,” one victim said. “And one lunges at me, so I square up.”

“They just started kicking us, punching us,” another victim said. “We were getting jumped.”

Those two students escaped, but a few of their friends got left behind, and one was stabbed.

“He got stabbed in the back and he got just beat on by like 30 people, him by himself, and security looked at him on the ground, watched his body go limp, and just walked away. Didn’t call anybody; didn’t do anything," a victim said.

The campus police chief says at least one juvenile suspect was arrested with a handgun.

The chief announced a series of actions, including internal and external investigations. A university police lieutenant has been suspended during an internal investigation. A third-party security contractor has been removed from campus.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

Indicted Frederick County sheriff reinstates himself to 'full-duty' status

Indicted Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins announced his return to full-duty status more than four months after he took his administrative leave of absence after he was charged with helping a gun shop owner acquire machine guns. 

Jenkins is facing charges of conspiracy and making false statements in an effort to acquire machine guns, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office of the District of Maryland.  

• Thumb down 1

DC youth curfew: What to know about ramped-up enforcement starting Sept. 1

As young people in D.C. are accused of committing violent crimes — including a carjacking allegedly involving a 13-year-old girl — the District will step up enforcement of the youth curfew in certain neighborhoods.

Starting Friday, Sept. 1, police will target seven neighborhoods where crime has increased.

Mayor Muriel Bowser’s administration hopes that by increasing enforcement of the District’s youth curfew, officials can connect at-risk youth and their families with support before youth are involved in a violent crime.

D.C.’s youth curfew has been enforced for years. Last year, 125 young people were picked up by police for violating curfew. So far this year, 66 people have been picked up, the Metropolitan Police Department said.

“I don’t want to give anybody the impression that curfew is just now being enforced. It is enforced. What we announced a few weeks ago were areas where we were seeing, quite frankly, mobs of young people who were showing up,” Bowser said.

People 16 and younger have to be off the streets from 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. Sundays through Thursdays and from midnight to 6 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays.

Edited by China

On 9/1/2023 at 7:44 AM, skinsmarydu said:

^^^  For a second, I thought that was Frederick Co, VA.

I got scared, then settled down again.

Same here. Oddly enough, our sheriff in Culpeper county is in a lot of trouble, his last name is also Jenkins.