Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

PleaseBlitz

26 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

In May, it implemented several changes, including hiring more security guards, closing down secondary entrances, limiting the number of items through self checkout, skimming shelves of high-theft items and locking up more product.

Yeah, they implemented those changes at the Giant I usually shop at and it's annoying.  I noticed, however, in the Giant in whitebread McLean, they haven't instituted any of those changes.  White privelege is real.  I'm sure they have varying rates of shoplifiting at different locations, but they should make the changes universal.

13 minutes ago, China said:

Yeah, they implemented those changes at the Giant I usually shop at and it's annoying.  I noticed, however, in the Giant in whitebread McLean, they haven't instituted any of those changes.  White privelege is real.  I'm sure they have varying rates of shoplifiting at different locations, but they should make the changes universal.

I disagree.  I think them making changes based on the actual data is fine.  But I would be open to better ways of addressing the issues.  Not sure what that is though.

Why Is There a New Pay Phone on a Quiet Street in DC?

Earlier this year, a mysterious pay phone appeared on a residential street in Chevy Chase, DC. Locals were surprised to discover that it worked: You could lift the receiver and call anyone, anywhere, for free—no quarter required. But the phone actually had a more specific purpose, as made clear by the sign across the top: “Jokes.” Push “*1” and you got a knock-knock joke. Pressing “*2” yielded a joke for children, and so on. The idea was a fast hit with neighborhood residents, especially kids. But why was it there? And which local cut-up was behind it?

20230906_154948-1.jpg

Some minor detective work recently revealed the answer. The jokes phone is the work of a substitute teacher at nearby Lafayette elementary named Don Rutledge, whose house is across the sidewalk from the phone. Rutledge is the kind of guy who likes to tinker, and he has a history of drumming up quirky projects (ask him about the cupcake car he keeps in the garage). The pay phone project just seemed like a fun idea, he says. Last year, he scored an old phone online—from a site called payphone.com, no less—then spent six months gutting it and transforming it into a homemade humor dispenser. It runs off of a microcomputer stashed inside the phone, and calls are routed through his home wi-fi. Part of the fun was figuring out how to make it work—wiring the electronics, writing 700 or so lines of computer code, and designing the phone-front signage that (sort of) explains the whole concept. Rutledge estimates he’s spent about $700, a figure he semi-jokingly describes as “embarrassing.”

Still, people seem to love it. Maybe that’s because the gags aren’t an afterthought: Rutledge has put some effort into finding what he describes as “quality dad jokes,” and the phone now cycles through hundreds of bits that he’s recorded himself. Will they all make you laugh? “I mean, that’s in the eye of the beholder,” he says. (One of his personal favorites: “How does the polygamist hippie count his wives? One Mrs. Hippie, two Mrs. Hippie….”)

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 3

Revisit some of history's most epic fails at this DC museum exhibit

he Museum of Failure is now open in The District. It's the museum's first time back in the United States since 2021. The exhibit spotlights some of history's biggest failures from some of the world's biggest companies.

First displayed in Sweden, it comprises a collection of more than 130 failures that was originally conceived by psychologist and innovation researcher, Dr. Samuel West. He believes seeing these larger-than-life corporate imperfections will inspire visitors to innovate and not be afraid to fail.

“I’m excited to bring this spectacular exhibit to D.C.,” said West. “We need to be better at learning from failure. I want visitors to recognize that failure is an essential aspect of progress and innovation.”

Crystal Pepsi, the Nintendo Power Glove and Google Glass are all on display, along with other wild ideas like the Hoola Chair — it was meant to exercise your abs at work — or Thirsty Cat, fish-flavored water for your feline friend. 

Click on the link for the full article and video

National Cathedral replaces windows honoring Confederacy with stained-glass homage to racial justice

The landmark Washington National Cathedral unveiled new stained-glass windows Saturday with a theme of racial justice, filling the space that had once held four windows honoring Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

d97cb20d6eb144efb2349f8b8a2ce4f8

ba15d8485164457fa1599d85e1f422c5

The new windows depict a march for justice by African Americans, descendants of the very people who would have remained in slavery after the Civil War if the side for which the officers fought had prevailed.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Armed man arrested at a Virginia church after posting threats on Instagram, police say

Over the weekend, police say, Rui Jiang posted a photo on Instagram of a gun being pointed at a computer screen showing the spire of a white church building.

The words “Beautiful Old Churches Across America” were superimposed over part of the image.

A series of such posts featured vague threats of violence, police say. One showed the lighted sign above the rain-slicked entrance to Park Valley Church in northern Virginia’s Prince William County. The burning pages of a Bible were seen in another.

On Sunday morning, Jiang, 35, was arrested at Park Valley Church in possession of a loaded handgun with an additional magazine, the Prince William County Police Department said. He was dressed in black and wearing sunglasses.

Jiang, a Virginia resident, was picked up after a woman in Anne Arundel County, Maryland – about an hour east of the church in Haymarket – notified local police of the threatening online posts. The woman told police she knew Jiang.

“It was an imminent disaster, you know, that could have happened here, that didn’t,” Pastor Barry White told CNN at the church on Tuesday.

Jiang was arrested during Park Valley’s 10 a.m. service – the church’s most popular, with about 1,000 people, including 300 children, in attendance, according to White. The children have their own ministry in another part of the sprawling church.

Fairfax County Police Chief Kevin Davis said he believed the arrest halted “America’s latest version of a mass killer.”

“We put our hands on him, literally, in the nick of time,” the chief said.

Yeah, these bozos filming "pranks" on unsuspecting people for internet clout and YouTube views, need to go away.  He got what he deserved.

YouTube prankster says he had no idea he was scaring man who shot him

A YouTube prankster who was shot by one his targets told jurors Tuesday he had no inkling he had scared or angered the man who fired on him as the prank was recorded.

Tanner Cook, whose “Classified Goons” channel on YouTube has more than 55,000 subscribers, testified nonchalantly about the shooting at start of the trial for 31-year-old Alan Colie, who's charged with aggravated malicious wounding and two firearms counts.

The April 2 shooting at the food court in Dulles Town Center, about 45 minutes west of Washington, D.C., set off a panic as shoppers fled what they feared to be a mass shooting.

Jurors also saw video of the shooting, recorded by Cook's associates. The two interacted for less than 30 seconds. Video shows Cook approaching Colie, a DoorDash driver, as he picked up an order. The 6-foot-5 (1.95-meter-tall) Cook looms over Colie while holding a cellphone about 6 inches (15 centimeters) from Colie's face. The phone broadcasts the phrase “Hey dips—-, quit thinking about my twinkle” multiple times through a Google Translate app.

On the video, Colie says “stop” three different times and tries to back away from Cook, who continues to advance. Colie tries to knock the phone away from his face before pulling out a gun and shooting Cook in the lower left chest.

Probably because I'm a middle aged curmudgeon and I basically despise most YouTubers and content creators...but I also watched the interviews with this idiot and his parents, and the only conclusion I can come to is the shooter didn't aim high enough.  No sympathy at all.

• Like 2