Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

"bought" or developed, 27 of them ****es were won

Shoulder brush GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Eh, well, a good chunk of them were won before free agency.

Steinbrenner's biggest fault was that's what he tried to do in free agency because it worked so well for him out of the gate.  He hit it big with Reggie Jackson and Reggie played a big part in delivering back to back World Series titles in '77 and '78, one could argue he helped put them over the top after losing to the Reds in '76.  And then Steinbrenner couldn't do it again.  He tried it with Dave Winfield, it didn't work and in the mid 80s he traded for Rickey Henderson, giving him a lineup of Rickey, Mattingly and Winfield.  Didn't have the pitching, but he kept trying to acquire high priced free agents and he couldn't win.

So then he gets suspended in the early 90s and allows Gene Michael to build it the right way.  They draft Pettite, Jeter, Rivera, Posada and built a good team with veterans around them but Steinbrenner gets reinstated in time to take credit for the glory years of the late 90s.   And then he goes right back at it, trying to buy more titles, Giambi, Teixiera, Randy Johnson, A-Rod and everyone else I can't remember.  They broke through in 2009 but I think anyone with an objective look would say that the Yankees haven't had a great return on investment for all the splashes they've made.  And the Steinbrenner son seems to be making the same mistakes his dad did, although he doesn't have as much bluster and bravado as the old man.  

• Like 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

And then he goes right back at it, trying to buy more titles, Giambi, Teixiera, Randy Johnson, A-Rod and everyone else I can't remember.  They broke through in 2009 but I think anyone with an objective look would say that the Yankees haven't had a great return on investment for all the splashes they've made.  And the Steinbrenner son seems to be making the same mistakes his dad did, although he doesn't have as much bluster and bravado as the old man.  

Oh absolutely. There is a story of George walking down the hallway after losing game 7 to Arizona in 2001 saying “things are going to change” and they then went heavy into free agency big names, past their prime stars, and big attractions that never produced. 

and you see the results the last 20 years. They’ve reworked their farm system a lot the last 5 years or so which has been nice so maybe they’ll break through again. 

classic underdog story 👀

• Like 1

Just now, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Cash should be fired.  I’m sorry but that’s a fireable offense to remove your Ace who is dealing.  

I agree but that’s what the Rays front office wants. I think it ranks up there as an all time worst managing decision in a WS

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Cash should be fired.  I’m sorry but that’s a fireable offense to remove your Ace who is dealing.  

Not sure the outcome would have been ultimately been different  - at best you get 1.5 more innings out of Snell, then you have to face Dodgers top of the order with your bullpen anyway.  Short of the Rays scoring at least one run here it doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Not sure the outcome would have been ultimately been different  - at best you get 1.5 more innings out of Snell, then you have to face Dodgers top of the order with your bullpen anyway.  Short of the Rays scoring at least one run here it doesn't matter.

maybe, but if Tampa keeps the lead it could change who the Dodgers use and it keeps Tampa hitters from pressing