Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

16 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Shouldn't he do the same?  Rich athletes are exempt from quarantine after a positive test and confirmation?  

He should.

But haven't we all learned by now that rich athletes and other celebrities operate in different realities than the rest of us?   Think if I commit the same crime as someone like LeBron James we'll do the same time?  No, I'll be in the pokey, he'll get off with a slap on the wrist.  

These guys, no matter how much we hate it, don't get treated the same as us.  

26 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Its absolutely about Turner.  He’s not above everyone else!  If your son played on that team and catches covid and dies because Turner was out there would you say I mean Turner earned it?  The fact that you don’t get it is amazing.  Actually it’s beyond amazing.  It’s delusional.  He broke every freaking mlb protocol for himself.  He put others at risk for himself.  As a player it was a jack *** thing to do.  As a person he’s a POS.  Even if it wasn’t against MLB rules you’d have to be a complete jack off to go into a crowd of people with COVID let alone maskless.  How in the HE bloody ****ing hockey sticks do you not get that? It’s mind numbing.  How do you not understand putting your teammates, your manager, MLB officials, their families, etc in danger just so you can walk on the field?  No less go maskless?  Just how? 

Are you going this hard on people you see out at the grocery store without masks?  

Pay attention:  I agree, going back out for the celebration was a ****ty thing to do.  He did break the rules, although we don't know what MLB's rules for inconclusive tests are.  We don't know if he broke any rules.

But quite frankly, I can't really take anyone seriously who says bloody ****ing hockey sticks, that's just hysterical.  

Personally, I have a few unanswered questions.

Was the MLB policy all year to let players play when test results were either unknown and/or inconclusive?

If not, what allowed the Dodgers to bypass the rule? 

If it was,  does anyone else see a major problem with that policy? 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Are you going this hard on people you see out at the grocery store without masks?  

Pay attention:  I agree, going back out for the celebration was a ****ty thing to do.  He did break the rules, although we don't know what MLB's rules for inconclusive tests are.  We don't know if he broke any rules.

But quite frankly, I can't really take anyone seriously who says bloody ****ing hockey sticks, that's just hysterical.  

Its meant to be hysterical because I can’t take anyone serious who turns this back on others. Guess what I dismiss out on many great things like others and I sucked it up.  That was without having covid.  That was because of the situation.  I’m not dwell on things I had to give up but I sure as hell will have a problem with some entitled a hole putting others in danger for their personal satisfaction.  Oh and I don’t make many trips to the inside of stores but yes people who go maskless there when there’s a order here to wear them are jack offs and deserve the heavy fine they can get.  If it’s a person going maskless with covid in grocery store you should be charged for public endangering.

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Its meant to be hysterical because I can’t take anyone serious who turns this back on others. Guess what I dismiss out on many great things like others and I sucked it up.  That was without having covid.  That was because of the situation.  I’m not dwell on things I had to give up but I sure as hell will have a problem with some entitled a hole putting others in danger for their personal satisfaction.  Oh and I don’t make many trips to the inside of stores but yes people who go maskless there when there’s a order here to wear them are jack offs and deserve the heavy fine they can get.  If it’s a person going maskless with covid in grocery store you should be charged for public endangering.

I think I understood all that.

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Was the MLB policy all year to let players play when test results were either unknown and/or inconclusive?

I agree, these are the important questions.

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

1. inconclusive was treated as a positive. They couldn’t risk being subjective after the early cases that almost shut everything down.   

2. That’s what we’re wondering

3. Yes.  It looks like MLB and or Dodgers may have bypassed to not cancel the game. Which would have heads rolling.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think I understood all that.

Sorry a lot autocorrected as I was typing fast. Jumbled my post. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Looks like the MLB is indeed doing an investigation into the Justin Turner situation 

Turner will get a 10k fine and nothing more will happen. 

Also, congrats to the Dodgers on their 2020 Fall League championship

Edited by spjunkies
  • Haha 2

As a Dodgers and Football Team fan, I’m not surprised that the Dodgers aren’t a board favorite but I have a few questions/comments for my fellow posters in this thread after reading some of the posts since last night:

For the guys making comments about the Dodgers payroll, did you make those comments about the skins all the years their payroll was near the top, or is it only something you say when you don’t like the team? Or maybe it’s only an issue if that team is actually successful due to spending the majority of that money on the guys they grew in their own system. I know I’ve personally never read any comments on this board about having an owner willing to spend money/out-spend small market teams or bragging about the d.c area market size during free agency so at least no one here is being hypocritical...

The asterisk comments regarding season length, I think it’s terrible they didn’t let whomever your team is play this season too. I’m assuming you make sure to throw those same comments out there during conversations about 2/3 of the Skins Super Bowl wins too, right? Asking for a friend.

Justin Turner is a **** bag for doing what he did. I don’t know who circumvented what to have him playing, but once he knew he should have kept his super-spreader ass away from everyone.
The one comment about them stripping the title is ridiculous, even taking into consideration hyperbole.
If the astros and red sox get to keep theirs after an entire season of systemic cheating vs every team they faced, then I highly doubt they even entertain that thought even when weighing it against the real danger Turner put his teammates, their families, and league officials in.

I’ve been boycotting watching any professional sports at all this year because I think it’s moronic that these players put themselves in exactly this kind of danger to play a game. Especially since most of them are too stupid to exercise the type of caution it would take to keep themselves and those around them from getting sick. I’d bet a ridiculously large sum that almost to a man these dudes either don’t believe covid is real or think that because they are in shape they can’t get it. But that’s probably a conversation for another thread.

Edited by MrSilverMaC
Typo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

The asterisk comments regarding season length, I think it’s terrible they didn’t let whomever your team is play this season too. I’m assuming you make sure to throw those same comments out there during conversations about 2/3 of the Skins Super Bowl wins too, right? Asking for a friend.

I didnt make an “asterisk” comment necessarily, but i did make a comment about how we’re still the reigning full-season WS champs, however that was mostly made in humor :) 

anddd a SLIGHT percentage because I’m bitter as **** that they’ll get to celebrate their banner raising ceremony in person and we didn’t get to 😭 

@MrSilverMaC Your team just won a WS after a 32 year old drought.  You shouldn't give a rat's ass about what other people have to say about your team's championship.

I would venture to guess that most of the comments about illegitimate championship or striping title is made in jest or trash talking.  Salary thing and comparison with NFL is kind of apples and oranges because of soft cap vs hard cap, but it's not like LA broke the rules, so why should any Dodgers fan care?  I doubt any team's fans would complain if their team had a super high payroll to win a championship.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bearrock said:

@MrSilverMaC Your team just won a WS after a 32 year old drought.  You shouldn't give a rat's ass about what other people have to say about your team's championship.

I would venture to guess that most of the comments about illegitimate championship or striping title is made in jest or trash talking.  Salary thing and comparison with NFL is kind of apples and oranges because of soft cap vs hard cap, but it's not like LA broke the rules, so why should any Dodgers fan care?  I doubt any team's fans would complain if their team had a super high payroll to win a championship.  

You right 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

As a Dodgers and Football Team fan, I’m not surprised that the Dodgers aren’t a board favorite but I have a few questions/comments for my fellow posters in this thread after reading some of the posts since last night:

For the guys making comments about the Dodgers payroll, did you make those comments about the skins all the years their payroll was near the top, or is it only something you say when you don’t like the team? Or maybe it’s only an issue if that team is actually successful due to spending the majority of that money on the guys they grew in their own system. I know I’ve personally never read any comments on this board about having an owner willing to spend money/out-spend small market teams or bragging about the d.c area market size during free agency so at least no one here is being hypocritical...

Justin Turner is a **** bag for doing what he did. I don’t know who circumvented what to have him playing, but once he knew he should have kept his super-spreader ass away from everyone.
The one comment about them stripping the title is ridiculous, even taking into consideration hyperbole.
If the astros and red sox get to keep theirs after an entire season of systemic cheating vs every team they faced, then I highly doubt they even entertain that thought even when weighing it against the real danger Turner put his teammates, their families, and league officials in.

I’ve been boycotting watching any professional sports at all this year because I think it’s moronic that these players put themselves in exactly this kind of danger to play a game. Especially since most of them are too stupid to exercise the type of caution it would take to keep themselves and those around them from getting sick. I’d bet a ridiculously large sum that almost to a man these dudes either don’t believe covid is real or think that because they are in shape they can’t get it. But that’s probably a conversation for another thread.

I too, found the comments about the Dodgers payroll hypocritical.  I pointed it out earlier, the Dodgers are amazing at building a team and doing it the right way.  They've spent to keep players they've brought up, this is not a team that's made up of high priced free agents.  And...crickets.

Agreed about Turner.  He was wrong for going back out to celebrate.  

https://theathletic.com/2167691/2020/10/28/epidemiologist-how-should-mlb-have-handled-the-justin-turner-world-series-fiasco/

It’s still not clear exactly how this happened the way it did. But it’s fair to ask: What should have happened? We posed that question – and more – on Wednesday to Dr. Zachary Binney, an epidemiologist at Emory University’s Oxford College.

Should Turner have been taken out of the game earlier?

In the second inning Tuesday, Major League Baseball was informed by its lab that Turner’s COVID test Monday had come back as “inconclusive.” Was it safe to allow him to continue playing?

“If all you had was one `inconclusive,’” Dr. Binney said, “I did not see the need at that point to take Turner out of the game. And that’s basically because I would have thought it was a lot more likely that that `inconclusive’ turns into a `negative’ than into a `positive.’ They’ve been in a bubble during the playoffs. I am very surprised that anyone got infected, based on the experience we’ve seen with other bubbles … So I would have given 10-to-1 odds that it came back negative. I would have been wrong.”

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I too, found the comments about the Dodgers payroll hypocritical.  I pointed it out earlier, the Dodgers are amazing at building a team and doing it the right way.  They've spent to keep players they've brought up, this is not a team that's made up of high priced free agents.  And...crickets.

Maybe then I'm the only one then who has a problem with 1 or 2 teams a year spending 40-50% more than the average team salary.  

And no, it doesn't compare to the hard cap of the NFL at all. So I have no idea what that argument was about. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Maybe then I'm the only one then who has a problem with 1 or 2 teams a year spending 40-50% more than the average team salary.  

And no, it doesn't compare to the hard cap of the NFL at all. So I have no idea what that argument was about. 

Spending money doesn't guarantee a winner.  Aren't you a WFT fan?

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Spending money doesn't guarantee a winner.  Aren't you a WFT fan?

Every team in the NFL spends roughly the same amount of money each year. Edit, and yes I know how it works with the NFL salary cap. 

Additionally, you really don't have a situation where say the Rams spend 400 million in year 1 while the WFT spends 200 million in that same year.

The beauty of the hard cap in the NFL is typicaly it makes every team accountable for bad signings. In MLB, Dodgers/Yankees can sign a **** ton of bad contracts and its nothing to them (thanks to sweetheart deals with regional sports networks). The rest of MLB really doesn't have that ability (save a few other teams and to a much lesser degree). 

49 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Every team in the NFL spends roughly the same amount of money each year. Edit, and yes I know how it works with the NFL salary cap. 

Additionally, you really don't have a situation where say the Rams spend 400 million in year 1 while the WFT spends 200 million in that same year.

The beauty of the hard cap in the NFL is typicaly it makes every team accountable for bad signings. In MLB, Dodgers/Yankees can sign a **** ton of bad contracts and its nothing to them (thanks to sweetheart deals with regional sports networks). The rest of MLB really doesn't have that ability (save a few other teams and to a much lesser degree). 

Right, but spending doesn't automatically make you a winner.  Tampa is almost always good despite having a low payroll.  Oakland, too.  Boston spent a lot this year and sucked.  There's no correlation between spending and winning in the MLB.  

The beauty about the MLB is that you get a better chance for a player to spend his entire career with one team, like Mike Trout will with the Angels.  We all like to romanticize Darrell Green and how he was able to spend his entire career here, that's practically impossible in the NFL today.  

I don't really care about who is accountable for a bad signing and who isn't, a bad signing should be enough to not want to make those mistakes again.  

EDIT:  Also, MLB contracts are guaranteed.  Speaking as an Orioles fan, I can tell you that my team is very much being held accountable by the Chris Davis contract which has been an unmitigated disaster.  Even if they cut him, they'll still be feeling the pain for two more years and then even into his retirement.  I wouldn't even call it accountable, more like Davis is holding the team hostage.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

44 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

EDIT:  Also, MLB contracts are guaranteed.  Speaking as an Orioles fan, I can tell you that my team is very much being held accountable by the Chris Davis contract which has been an unmitigated disaster.  Even if they cut him, they'll still be feeling the pain for two more years and then even into his retirement.  I wouldn't even call it accountable, more like Davis is holding the team hostage.

Thats the point though. The Yankees and Dodgers would sneeze at that contract. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Thats the point though. The Yankees and Dodgers would sneeze at that contract. 

Maybe, they'd still have 20-24 million in dead money on their books, though.  That's not fun for anyone.  Maybe the Yankees and Dodgers would have the gumption to actually cut Davis though, unlike the Orioles...I doubt either of those franchise would allow Davis to hamstring them from roster management and flexibility.  Still, 20-24 million or whatever it is he's getting per year is a blow to any team, I don't care who you are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't see a 2020 or 2021 MLB thread so I'm adding this here. I never saw Phil Niekro pitch in person but I watched him on TV a lot. Incredible career & an incredible guy. It was always fun to see him confuse batters with his goofy knuckleball pitch. Thanks for the memories, Knucksie. RIP to one of the greats of the game. 

The baseball world lost a legend Saturday in Phil Niekro, who passed away at the age of 81 after a battle with cancer.

Niekro, one of a record seven Hall of Fame players to die in 2020, was a knuckleballer, and his legendary career was unique in many ways. His tenure was defined by longevity: despite not debuting until he was 25 years old in 1964, he pitched 24 seasons, with his final game coming when he was 48 in 1987.

https://www.mlb.com/news/phil-niekro-career-statistical-breakdown

"But even more than his signature pitch and trademark durability, Phil will be remembered as one of our game's most genial people. He always represented his sport extraordinarily well, and he will be deeply missed. On behalf of Major League Baseball, I extend my condolences to Phil's family, friends and the many fans he earned throughout his life in our National Pastime."

Dale Murphy, who won two straight National League MVP awards as a teammate of Niekro's, was among those who mourned his death.

"Knucksie was one of a kind,'' Murphy wrote on Twitter. "Friend, teammate, father and husband. Our hearts go out to Nancy Niekro, the kids and grandkids. So thankful for our memories and time together. We'll miss you, Knucksie.''

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30605849/hall-fame-pitcher-phil-niekro-famous-signature-knuckleball-dies-81

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2020 MLB Thread

Wait was there really a discussion that money doesn’t translate to success in baseball? Like the top 10 payroll teams are the only ones who have had consistent success.  Yeah you’ll have Oakland A’s or Tampa Bay pop in but look who runs the show.   Like 3 out of the top 5 are WS favorites every year.   Money absolutely dominates baseball and leads to stacked teams.  Much like the NBA it’s viewership takes a hit because less people care when they think there’s no chance of competing. You absolutely can buy a championship in baseball.  Even more so than the NBA. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88