Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme

Springfield

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Right.  My point is that colleges could fund their athletic departments if they wanted to, without the billions generated by media rights.  Football and basketball would still fund the rest, but the money involved would be much smaller (which would not necessarily be a bad thing).

As the economics of college sports currently exist, college basketball would make exactly the same amount of money if the true stars were not forced to play a year in college.  The media rights for the 2019 NCAA basketball season were sold far in advance of anyone knowing one guy was really good. 

Also, I think it is 100% fair to pay the athletes in only the revenue generating sports.  I also think it's obviously fair to allow every athlete, in any sport, to monetize their own likeness.

You talking to someone that sees college athletics as being black and white.

You either pay the athletes and let them monetize their likeness, or you go back to when your grandad was rowing All American. Get all the corporate money out of college sports and let schools fund it.

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm good with that.

huh?

Well I don't think we are far apart.  I'm saying that right now, college sports is trying to be two things that are incompatible.  

They need to either get the corporate money out, act like an amateur athletics organization, and provide only scholarships, not pay the athletes any money.  This would also dramatically reduce the salaries of everyone involved in college sports and halt the building of palaces to football and practice facilities and reduce the size of athletic departments (i.e., less non money making sports). 

OR

They need to acknowledge that they are a billion dollar business, and pay their goddamn workforce and let them monetize their own likeness like pro athletes and not act like they are an amateur athletics organization and non-profit.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well I don't think we are far apart.  I'm saying that right now, college sports is trying to be two things that are incompatible.  

They need to either get the corporate money out, act like an amateur athletics organization, and provide only scholarships, not pay the athletes any money.  This would also dramatically reduce the salaries of everyone involved in college sports and halt the building of palaces to football and practice facilities and reduce the size of athletic departments (i.e., less non money making sports). 

OR

They need to acknowledge that they are a billion dollar business, and pay their goddamn workforce and let them monetize their own likeness like pro athletes and not act like they are an amateur athletics organization and non-profit.  

Yup.

Just keep it real with themselves or remove all business from sports. 

Real talk, I prefer them to go back to being amateurs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I feel you.

I don't have a problem with them having a rowing team, but I don't think that should be on the backs of revenue sports. Rowers, for the most part, don't come from tough environments.

The revenue sports literally make so much money that they have trouble spending it all.  The biggest athletics department, ONE SCHOOL, made $215 million in 2018.  

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

57 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I feel you.

I don't have a problem with them having a rowing team, but I don't think that should be on the backs of revenue sports. Rowers, for the most part, don't come from tough environments.

As a former rower, we might not come from tough environments but I think you wouldn't know wtf hit you if you got in a boat for a 2k.

Carry on.

• Haha 4

On 3/13/2019 at 11:05 AM, BenningRoadSkin said:

The other thing is people who argued against affirmative action need to look at these people who do this stuff.

Beat me to it. So many of them have been whining about affirmative action and diversity while the 10%ers buy their kids' way in, whether they do it this way or legally via legacy preference and/or by donating a fat wad to the university to get the wink, wink, nod admission. Another case of the 'Muricun public being like a baby watching you jingle keys in one hand while you take his candy with the other.

There are other forgotten victims here too. Poor Dillon and Becky are now going to have to worry that POC in school and the workplace will think they skated in on mommy and daddy's money too. 😃 But hey, if it's good enough for Tя☭mp, it oughta be good enough for other offspring of the wealthy.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I'm not a parent or uber rich...but if I had kids and I wanted to ensure they went to a school of their choosing, I suspect I'd do a lot of questionable stuff to ensure it. 😁

That said, this story reminds me how colleges still over rely on a bunk method (SAT scores) for admittance.

Edit...and how we are still too caught up in some colleges names/brands.

Don't forget that this is happening AFTER these kids had access to the best private schools since they started kindergarten. Private schools at least partially funded by us working schleps in some states.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting videos @BenningRoadSkin

I found this quote interesting:  "The people with the most to lose from change cannot be put in charge of reforming the status quo."   Man.  That applies to so much in the US/world.  Politics, health care, financial industry, education, etc.  Maybe it's a function of Americans growing up with a national mythology that places wealth, power, and fame as the measures of success, but the rich have absolutely rigged the system so that they stay rich and stay in power. 

That being said, I don't think the American dream is unobtainable for the middle and lower classes.   There just isn't any margin for error (or sickness, or financial disaster, or act of god, or...).   The middle and lower classes can absolutely rise up, but if they push all in and lose, they're out.  The rich can just buy another stake in the game and keep playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dchogs said:

Interesting videos @BenningRoadSkin

I found this quote interesting:  "The people with the most to lose from change cannot be put in charge of reforming the status quo."   Man.  That applies to so much in the US/world.  Politics, health care, financial industry, education, etc.  Maybe it's a function of Americans growing up with a national mythology that places wealth, power, and fame as the measures of success, but the rich have absolutely rigged the system so that they stay rich and stay in power. 

That being said, I don't think the American dream is unobtainable for the middle and lower classes.   There just isn't any margin for error (or sickness, or financial disaster, or act of god, or...).   The middle and lower classes can absolutely rise up, but if they push all in and lose, they're out.  The rich can just buy another stake in the game and keep playing.

You hit the nail on the head.

The middle and poor classes put everything in one on a lottery ticket. Someone wealthy has several lottery tickets that they cash when they need it.

Its a rigged system and I don't believe many Americans realize that because they think they will get that one lottery ticket.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You hit the nail on the head.

The middle and poor classes put everything in one on a lottery ticket. Someone wealthy has several lottery tickets that they cash when they need it.

Its a rigged system and I don't believe many Americans realize that because they think they will get that one lottery ticket.

I'd almost suggest the wealthy own the lottery system in a way.  Everything the poor/middle class do to buy the lottery ticket in the first place finds a way to trickle up to the pockets of the lottery system owners.  Once in awhile the lottery system has to pay out, but it pales in comparison to what they take in.

I would say a large number of issues come back to the haves vs. have-nots, and the most interesting part to the story is often the haves that are the most ruthless about money and policies are not even the ones who created the fortune/business in the first place, but the following generation who was left everything. Somehow inheriting all of the fruits of their parents or grand parent's labor makes them feel even more entitled. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd almost suggest the wealthy own the lottery system in a way.  Everything the poor/middle class do to buy the lottery ticket in the first place finds a way to trickle up to the pockets of the lottery system owners.  Once in awhile the lottery system has to pay out, but it pales in comparison to what they take in.

I would say a large number of issues come back to the haves vs. have-nots, and the most interesting part to the story is often the haves that are the most ruthless about money and policies are not even the ones who created the fortune/business in the first place, but the following generation who was left everything. Somehow inheriting all of the fruits of their parents or grand parent's labor makes them feel even more entitled. 

It is a widely-held truism in economics that the the lottery is a tax on the poor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It is a widely-held truism in economics that the the lottery is a tax on the poor. 

I've always considered it a stupidity tax.

Of course my step sister won it and owns a big ass ranch now.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

I've always considered it a stupidity tax.

Of course my step sister won it and owns a big ass ranch now.

There are reasons why “poor” is more apt than “stupid” but im too drunk to explain right now. The gist is poverty makes you desperate and naively hopeful and stupidity doesn’t. 

My younger more assholish self agrees with u tho. 

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2019 at 4:07 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

The more I read about this the more I hate these ****s. 

I agree.

but... what advantages do our kids have within the system?  is it their fault?

For example, who gets into ASF University?

1)  Excellent student (3.9 GPA), strong recommendations, good athlete, solid SAT scores (1400), great extr -curriculars.

2)  Good student (3.6GPA), solid recommendations, solid SAT scores (1300), average recs and extra curriculars

oh, #2 can pay the full $60,000/yr tuition and #1 can only pay $10,000.

The fact is that the average upper income american HS graduate (whom are primarily white) has an admission advantage over the average low income american HS graduate (whom are predominately minority).  even if it is $20,000 vs $10,000  or $10,000 vs. $5,000, there is a substantial effect.

FULL STOP

Your son, and my kids, both benefit from an inherently classist (and therefore also racist)  system.  Students who's families can afford full tuition are more likely to be accepted to schools than those from lower income families.  A kid in my son's class got into Harvard with SUBSTANTIALLY lower SAT, GPA, and extracurriculars.  His family is full pay, we are not (he didn't apply to Harvard, but was denied at Yale and wait listed at Brown.  He's currently slumming it at Hopkins).  While Harvard is an exception, most colleges need tuition dollars to meet budget needs. 

Is this current outrage wrong?  absolutely.  but as long as colleges have to remain competitive and make budget, money will be a factor.  It is an ugly truth, but it's one that regular folks should get used to.

Edited by dchogs
edited for clarity of original purpose
  • Like 1