Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Passion of The Jussie (FKA The Smollett Fiasco)

Spaceman Spiff

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I saw that he's still denying it, even though the evidence against him is mounting.

I'm fully expecting a jilted-former-lover angle to be introduced at some point.  For him to be this defiant, I'd imagine there's more yet to be released.   

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

How much yall wanna bet some dummie is going to give this fool another chance and he will do something just as dumb if not more so in a few years. These idiots never go away forever.

As briefly mentioned in the thread already, shows like Big Brother etc. will absolutely become his career path. He'll make money, stay famous, and eventually get redemption or exploit his "villainy." He could be the new Omarosa.

(Assuming this case doesn't take another bizarre u-turn to make us all AGAIN review how quickly we jerk our knees in response to breaking news.)

Edited by Chachie

The most aggravating thing about this whole disater is that Jussie has singlehandedly given the MAGAts someone on the Leftvto point to when they scream fake news and false accusations.

Forget that yesterday a member of the coast guard was arrested by thr FBI because he was about to go on a mass murdering spree of minorities, Democrats, and the media.

Nope, it's all about Jussie now.

****ing moron

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

I gotta agree with The Who cares thing. I think he needs to face some consequences though, just due to the fact that he did waste police time investigating the crime. 

100 hours community service... and he’s done with empire (but not blacklisted in Hollywood)

At first I was thinking he needed to be fully prosecuted.. but you got to to think about all the evils there are in the world, and (although this is in the evil category) where this ranks on it... low low low low low...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, twa said:

if he was willing to indict two innocents he needs to do hard time....or a mental institute.

I tend to favor what @twa says here, but for very different reasons. 

We prosecute, condemn, and reject even the fakes, whereas the Right and Trump just like to ignore when their side has someone who shoots up a church.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I gotta agree with The Who cares thing. I think he needs to face some consequences though, just due to the fact that he did waste police time investigating the crime. 

100 hours community service... and he’s done with empire (but not blacklisted in Hollywood)

At first I was thinking he needed to be fully prosecuted.. but you got to to think about all the evils there are in the world, and (although this is in the evil category) where this ranks on it... low low low low low...

Trying to decide if you're seeing this clearly or if I'm not although I don't mean any disrespect by that. Just pondering the idea of "Who cares."

Consider how the subjects of MAGA, racism, sexism, political corruption, and violence are burning up our discussions here and then pan out to the entire country. As a nation we are consumed by this presidential era and literally in a civilian war right now. This guy decided to use his own relative fame to inject himself into the discussion and hopefully profit from all that, all the while expecting to launch from "sort of famous" to "Gay Tupac." 

He quite literally poured gasoline on a bonfire, schemingly... then nefariously embraced the exposure with media venues like Good Morning America, propping himself up as a hero of some kind. He claimed to want young gay people to look to him as a fighter. If the plot had never been exposed, he would have enjoyed the status of cult hero to millions.

I don't know how to reckon all that by comparing it to the evils of the world but personally I rank it higher than you (or some) currently do.

Again- No disrespect intended to you personally. I'm just reviewing the whole fiasco in my mind after reading your particular post and finding more than just some dumb dude who wanted attention. 

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Trying to decide if you're seeing this clearly or if I'm not although I don't mean any disrespect by that. Just pondering the idea of "Who cares."

Consider how the subjects of MAGA, racism, sexism, political corruption, and violence are burning up our discussions here and then pan out to the entire country. As a nation we are consumed by this presidential era and literally in a civilian war right now.

Racists, sexism, and political corruption existed (as you point out) before he did this. This isn’t going to cause racists to be more racist...

then nefariously embraced the exposure with media venues like Good Morning America, propping himself up as a hero of some kind. He claimed to want young gay people to look to him as a fighter. If the plot had never been exposed, he would have enjoyed the status of cult hero to millions.

Yeah, he was as dip****. Now he is exposed.. 

Again- No disrespect intended to you personally.

No worries, my initial reaction is with you. But haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twa said:

if he was willing to indict two innocents he needs to do hard time....or a mental institute.

There was never even a possibility of this happening. 

He created a MAGA boogeyman that never existed.  (What're the chances two white men, wearing MAGA hats were going to be strolling on that street, at 2 am, on one of the coldest nights in decades?).  The reason he chose that night was because there wouldn't be witnesses to undermine the story.  The major variable to this scheme working rested with police not being able to track the suspects.  

He didn't want to go to police in the first place.  He also didn't cooperate fully with the investigation before the wheels fell off.  

Just as police did with the co-conspirators, they would've been able to easily retrace anyone's steps via surveillance videos, phone records, etc.   

This was done to garner himself attention...not lock up innocent people.  It's certainly fair game to criticize him for diverting police resources, and wasting a lot of folks' time, as well as lying about everything.  But I think with the evidence reported to date it's clear this scheme was concocted to advance his career and increase his visibility.  

20 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Racists, sexism, and political corruption existed (as you point out) before he did this. This isn’t going to cause racists to be more racist...

Are you sure about that? I was flicking through the news channels the other night and Tucker Carlson used this story to claim that hate crimes are so rare that people have to make them up .... and segwayed from this story into a claim that anti-Semitic attacks are inflated and over-reported

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Are you sure about that? I was flicking through the news channels the other night and Tucker Carlson used this story to claim that hate crimes are so rare that people have to make them up .... and segwayed from this story into a claim that anti-Semitic attacks are inflated and over-reported

22 hours ago, megared said:

There was never even a possibility of this happening. 

He created a MAGA boogeyman that never existed.  

He didn't say Smollett was going to...he said he was willing to.

This stems from the report that Smollett was told the police had found the suspects and was willing to press charges until he found out the men in custody were the two brothers that he knew, at which point he changed his tune. What if they weren't the brothers, and instead were two other guys?  Since Smollett already knew there were no attackers, being willing to press charges against ANYONE is severely ****ed up and an admission of sorts that he was ok with sending innocent people to jail. During his GMA interview, he states rather plainly and directly that the two men from the surveillance video capture were his attackers and that he never had any doubt. I mean, he didn't even hedge his words or say "It would be impossible for me to say for sure just from that image"...

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don't really think that matters.

What Smollett did was give the racists/homophobics/etc more ammo to use. It would be like being at war and the enemy was shooting at you, and one of your soldiers walked over to them and gave them guns and ammo...they were already shooting at you, so they're not gonna shoot at you more or become even more your enemy, but at least before there was the hope and belief they were starting to run low on ammo, figuratively speaking...

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

The most aggravating thing about this whole disater is that Jussie has singlehandedly given the MAGAts someone on the Leftvto point to when they scream fake news and false accusations.

Forget that yesterday a member of the coast guard was arrested by thr FBI because he was about to go on a mass murdering spree of minorities, Democrats, and the media.

Nope, it's all about Jussie now.

****ing moron 

They were always going to believe what they want anyway.  What disappoints me is seeing a kind of reflexive, even childish defense of Smollet from some voices on the Left who should know better than to engage in a tribalistic defenses (full of nonsequiturs and false equivalencies) of a narcissistic piece of **** who isn't worth it.  I thought some of the editorial NPR coverage of the trial was pretty bad.  Specifically this trainwreck of an interview: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/22/696944185/what-the-jussie-smollett-case-means-for-the-black-lgbtq-community And this trainwreck of an editorial: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/23/697382001/can-i-just-tell-you-lies-deceit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite so far is someone I otherwise respect posting a graphic trying to claim that Smollet is in the same category as Ryan Lochte, and Lochte got off because he was white.  When called on this by myself and a few others, she immediately pivoted and claimed none of us were in a position to judge, and that black folks and people of color faced far more obstacles in education, etc....

None of what she was saying was necessarily wrong, it just had nothing at all to do with her original post, at all.  A complete veer from the original subject.  For context, she is Korean.

Anyway, I let it go, it wasn't worth it.  But Jesus, that was some Limbaugh level stuff.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They were always going to believe what they want anyway.  What disappoints me is seeing a kind of reflexive, even childish defense of Smollet from some voices on the Left who should know better than to engage in a tribalistic defenses (full of nonsequiturs and false equivalencies) of a narcissistic piece of **** who isn't worth it.  I thought some of the editorial NPR coverage of the trial was pretty bad.  Specifically this trainwreck of an interview: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/22/696944185/what-the-jussie-smollett-case-means-for-the-black-lgbtq-community And this trainwreck of an editorial: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/23/697382001/can-i-just-tell-you-lies-deceit

Oh I agree completely which ONLY serves to encourage the morons on the Right even further. Call the ****head out and let him get what's coming to him, don't defend him because he's black, liberal, hates Trump or otherwise, he was wrong in what he did. 

Instead of wasting time defending him, spend that time highlighting the ACTUAL murderous intent of the white nationalists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

My favorite so far is someone I otherwise respect posting a graphic trying to claim that Smollet is in the same category as Ryan Lochte, and Lochte got off because he was white.  When called on this by myself and a few others, she immediately pivoted and claimed none of us were in a position to judge, and that black folks and people of color faced far more obstacles in education, etc....

None of what she was saying was necessarily wrong, it just had nothing at all to do with her original post, at all.  A complete veer from the original subject.  For context, she is Korean.

Anyway, I let it go, it wasn't worth it.  But Jesus, that was some Limbaugh level stuff.

Well, I expect a little more wisdom and reflection from a journalist as fine as Michel Martin.  I've been surprised that people have closed ranks around Smollet and behaved so defensively in their public statements and work in response to clear trolling from Right Wingers with zero principles or even overlap in audience.  I admit, I've never seen Empire and I had not heard of Smollet or the "crime" until the story broke that he had faked it.  But God damn, he must be the best actor on television to inspire such fandom and defensiveness because you basically have to be an amoral sociopath to stage a hate crime in order to leverage more money from your TV Show.  It's the kind of thing Dennis would have done on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.