Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TCP: Pope publicly admits priests, bishops have sexually abused nuns

China

Pope publicly admits priests, bishops have sexually abused nuns

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Pope Francis has for the first time publicly acknowledged the scandal of priests and bishops sexually abusing nuns and says he is committed to doing more to fight the problem.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Francis noted that Pope Benedict XVI had taken action against a France-based order after some of its religious sisters had been reduced to “sexual slavery” at the hands of the priest who founded the order and other priests.

“Should we do something more? Yes. Is there the will? Yes. But it’s a path that we have already begun,” Francis said while returning home from the United Arab Emirates.

“It’s not that everyone does this, but there have been priests and bishops who have,” Francis added. “And I think that it’s continuing because it’s not like once you realize it that it stops. It continues. And for some time we’ve been working on it.”

Click on the link for the full article

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You kid but I legit thought they kept it to kids for some particular reason. Like a loop hole or something. 

Im serious. 

This isn't religion, this is circumventing the law.

I'd love to see someone push for criminal investigating the Catholic Church via DoJ.

They WHAT???
oh, sorry,, i've been napping the last couple of thousand years.

I really should kill all of you.. but i  have this problem with the lack of my existence getting in the way.

Ah well, no matter. You dopes will make up more excuses for me. You're pretty good at that.

Carry on.

~God

I like the acknowledgement, but Pope goes onto say that he "he hopes" the investigation will go on. He wants the investigation to go on—I mean, buddy, you're the infallible Vicar of Christ on earth. If the organization you're in charge of isn't doing what you want—MAKE them do what you want. I like this Pope. He's done/doing more than anyone else bringing Church abuses to light, but the next step needs to be taken. 

Sadly, I think the backlash will be the next election will turn back to a more conservative Pope in the mold of Benedict II. 

14 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I like the acknowledgement, but Pope goes onto say that he "he hopes" the investigation will go on. He wants the investigation to go on—I mean, buddy, you're the infallible Vicar of Christ on earth. If the organization you're in charge of isn't doing what you want—MAKE them do what you want. I like this Pope. He's done/doing more than anyone else bringing Church abuses to light, but the next step needs to be taken. 

Sadly, I think the backlash will be the next election will turn back to a more conservative Pope in the mold of Benedict II. 

The infallibility of the Pope is limited to Biblical issues.  In most issues related to Church governance, he actually isn't a dictator.

He can more easily make it so priest can be married than force an investigation by Church authorities into suspected sexual assault (one is related to the interpretation of the Bible.  The other is not.)

Many suspect that the next Pope will be conservative.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is rape and pedophilia this rampant in the Jewish community and do they go to the same great lengths to cover it up?

This gets back into the convo we had a while back about if sexual predators become priests because of the safety or if priests become sexual predators because of ??? something. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This gets back into the convo we had a while back about if sexual predators become priests because of the safety or if priests become sexual predators because of ??? something. 

Forcing celibacy on adults who choose that path has something to do with the sexual improprieties.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I would love to see the Pope answer a question about why God hasnt done anything about this yet. 

Church donations have been cut in half in just the last 20 years.  Many sections where He gets tired of his "follower" crap, like the exile by Babylon.  Catholic Church will be last to go broke, but it will, hopefully in our lifetime.

31 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Forcing celibacy on adults who choose that path has something to do with the sexual improprieties.

That's not completely accurate. 

In regards to pedophilia, Pedophiles have a specific type—like say someone would like tall blondes with long legs. They have specific types: say, 8YO boys. It's not just any boy or minor. in the Pennsylvania clergy abuse report you could see this playing out in many cases—specific priests pursued specific types. The forced celibacy didn't turn them into predators. They were "made" that way and don't have the ability to restrain their urges. It's a big reason that treatment hasn't been found 

Predators, IMO, are drawn to the priesthood because it provides them cover and access to victims (sadly). This is what, to me, is very problematic still with the approach the RCC is taking—still too much in house. **** it, unleash the full force of local/federal law enforcement on these predators. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Church donations have been cut in half in just the last 20 years.  Many sections where He gets tired of his "follower" crap, like the exile by Babylon.  Catholic Church will be last to go broke, but it will, hopefully in our lifetime.

I'm one of these that slashed my church donations to basically nothing. Subsistence earning. After I read in that PA clery abuse report that the diocese was paying hush money and stipends to pedophiles I slashed it. We give our money now to other charitable organizations.

9 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I'm one of these that slashed my church donations to basically nothing. Subsistence earning. After I read in that PA clery abuse report that the diocese was paying hush money and stipends to pedophiles I slashed it. We give our money now to other charitable organizations.

You can request that your donations stay at the local parish.  One of the fall outs from the United Way scandal years ago.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Color me skeptical.

Been to a couple churches, I have better experience with ones that trouble keeping heat and ac working.  Unfortunately, those will die off first.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical, skepticism is not uncommon in the Bible. 

8 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

You can request that your donations stay at the local parish.  One of the fall outs from the United Way scandal years ago.

Reading a couple articles about how on average finance details aren't shared outside of staff and staff takes around half the donations for salary on average (especially the smaller ones).  Any experience with that or truth to it?

9 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Not sure that would work.

About 15 years ago parishioners raised funds to build a new church building. Diocese swooped in and took a good percentage of that money saying that money belonged to the Diocese/Church and essentially forced my parish to take out a loan through some lending program they were running. Shady as hell.

To tie into Clergy abuse... the parish priest at the time fought the bishop on taking the money. So eventually he was banished and put into retirement. Then it was “learned” that he had pictures of a teenage boy in the parish (scantily dressed).  More info about this incident came out in the PA attorney general report. 

It looks like the church knew all along that he was commiting this crime and did nothing until they had a reason to shame him and give reason for his dismissal (other than disobedience).

so. I have little confidence that even if I requested it my funds would not stay local. Nor would I be certain that it’s not supporting criminal activity.

Archived