Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

37 minutes ago, mojo said:

I almost forgot about Richardson. Man, if we hire a smart GM, this team could have a ton of cap room next year. So much dead wood and I’m including Kerrigan as well.  I love the guy but it’s time for a complete overhaul, especially if we draft the Chase Young.

This offseason could easily be a turning point for the franchise.  Guess we will find out Monday.

Yep, we already ****ed up by not trading guys such as Reed, Moses, Thompson, Norman etc years ago but we can make something out of it yet by cutting them at the very least. 

11 hours ago, mojo said:

I almost forgot about Richardson. Man, if we hire a smart GM, this team could have a ton of cap room next year. So much dead wood and I’m including Kerrigan as well.  I love the guy but it’s time for a complete overhaul, especially if we draft the Chase Young.

This offseason could easily be a turning point for the franchise.  Guess we will find out Monday.

Its the most important offseason since JKC hired Joe Gibbs imo. Lots of opportunities for positive change. 

Something I’ve been thinking about for a while, in part because of the possibility we land a new GM and partly because of how we’ve done things under Allen.  

It’s tempting to use the large cap space we should have to improve the team as much as possible with an eye to the next couple of years.  We have a qb on a rookie deal (though that’s offset this year by Smith’s contract), and some talent in other areas that we will want to re-sign/extend over the next few years, so we seemingly have a window.  
Personally though, I’d like to see the team focus on accruing extra draft picks (increasing the pipeline of talent to allow us to move on from or avoid some expensive contracts), re-signing deserving players, and trading players that don’t fit in long term plans.  
That’s not to say we should completely avoid FA, but I’d prefer use it only for the occasional impact player. This year, for example, I might only look at TE.  

I don’t mind signing a player like Collins (particularly when they have a connection to the area/team), but it was perhaps irresponsible at the time given the numerous holes on the team, especially the positions around him.  Spending on a high end TE is a different story because we have a young qb, backs for the TE to block for, and receivers to draw coverage away (not to mention a need to draw coverage from Terry, et al).  

Looking at a player like Scherff... is he worth 14+mil/year?   Easy to make the argument that the drop off in on-field impact from Scherff to Martin isn’t worth that contract.  On the flip side, you have benefits of re-signing like retaining a high end talent, buying time to find a solid/good replacement, improving depth (if Martin is a backup), and the possibility of trading Scherff down the line.  Not to mention the mental impact on our own players in terms of re-signing our own vs spending on other team’s FAs.  

More broadly I’d look at these steps:

1) trade players early if they aren’t in the long range plans or if we have solid depth

2) don’t wait for a player to hit FA before trying to find his replacement 

3) add draft picks, including future picks

4) extend deserving players early

5) conserve cap space for retaining our own talent

6) don’t extend injury prone players

7) rely on (higher upside) youth over signing average, or below average talent/production journeymen (McGee/McClain)

Edit:  I’ve been guessing that Falcons would re-sign Hooper.  Assuming a lack of cap space leading to high talent players being released has always been a faulty position IMO.  

By all accounts, Alex Smith’s contract will still count against the cap in 2020, which I believe is around 21 million.

Was Bruce Allen the genius behind not cutting Smith in 2019 and taking the entire 40+ million in one year or was that Dan?

This plus the not trading Trent or Kirk are the type of mistakes we cannot continue making.

Looks like there may be an opportunity to sign Hooper in FA after all. This would fill our biggest need and I would be ecstatic if we pulled it off. 

Speaking Monday, impending free agent Austin Hooper said he was open to re-signing with the Falcons, but that he "hasn't received an offer yet."

"It’s a business," Hooper said in matter-of-fact comments. "I’d definitely like to be here, but at the same time, it’s a business. I’m going to let my representation and the representation for the Falcons handle that." They aren't exactly the warmest comments, perhaps suggesting Hooper was stung by not receiving an offer during the season. Hooper broke out for a 75/787/6 line in 13 games, finishing sixth in tight end receiving yardage. He would probably be a difficult franchise tag for the Falcons considering how much money they already have wrapped up in their skill corps.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah sorry just caught this. Boston is decent.  Looks like there will be multiple options at both FS and CB in the draft.

Yep. Boston has perennially been one of the most underrated FSs in FA the past few years. A lot of us were begging for this team to sign him. 

6 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Agreed. And I don't think most of them hit the open market. I think Marriota is bound for backup status, though.

I actually don't expect any of them to hit the market. Brees, Brady and Rivers will retire with their teams, Teddy B's got a good thing in NO, Tannehill will probably get resigned as will Winston. Mariota is the only wildcard out of that whole group. 

25 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The 2020 FA QB class has some big names: Brady, Brees, Rivers..  Bridgewater, Marriota, Tannehill, Winston.

I think we'll draft a QB in the mid/later rounds of the draft.

16 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

With no 2nd I can’t see it happening. I guess it depends on how close Smith is to being healthy by the time the draft rolls around but I can’t honestly see why we draft someone. Rather just stock up on the positions we’re not set. 

The only QB under contract next year is Haskins.

Archived