Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

Won't matter really -  he won't sign with the Redskins for market value (as the Redskins will have to pay premium for any top FA)  and he won't get an above market value offer from the Skins (if he was on another team he would). That is another problem the Redskins "Good Culture" causes - other teams just have to match or even get close to offers the Redskins make to beat out the Redskins. 

Example - Clinton Dix took less from the Bears than was offered by the Skins.

Oh I don't disagree and short of the franchise tag or a complete front office change, I fully expect him to be playing somewhere else next season.

Personally I see the Redskins needing to sign 2 high callibur free agent oline (assuming a house cleaning doesn't change Trent and Brandon minds about staying) and draft at least one.

39 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

Oh I don't disagree and short of the franchise tag or a complete front office change, I fully expect him to be playing somewhere else next season.

Personally I see the Redskins needing to sign 2 high callibur free agent oline (assuming a house cleaning doesn't change Trent and Brandon minds about staying) and draft at least one.

What's the chances without the FO change any high caliber FA will want to come to Washington? If they are willing to, it will more than likely cost over the market value of most other NFL teams. I do agree without a tag, he isn't staying and 3 new OL players are needed. So far the recent years picks are not worthy of starting roles at G or T

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

What's the chances without the FO change any high caliber FA will want to come to Washington? If they are willing to, it will more than likely cost over the market value of most other NFL teams. I do agree without a tag, he isn't staying and 3 new OL players are needed. So far the recent years picks are not worthy of starting roles at G or T

Agreed. Can't see high caliber free agents lining up to play for Callahan under the management of Bruce. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agreed. Can't see high caliber free agents lining up to play for Callahan under the management of Bruce. 

Whats funny is that you're talking about high caliber free agents. The Bruce Allen MO is going after some mid tier guys who provide a cost savings analysis. Sure there are exceptions like Collins and Norman but thats not really the way he goes forward. 

Mind you, I don't mind this philosophy because I think we should be using the draft to build our roster. I'm hella mad that Bostic is getting playing time over SDH right now. But what'll happen in FA is we'll cover out bases and make sure we have no "glaring weaknesses" in our roster going into the draft, so that its not a tell on who we're going to pick, and sets us up for a BPA approach.

But if we're in a "we're close" approach we're going to play guys like Bostic over SDH, or Davis over Sprinkle or Penn over Christian or AP over Bibbs or Norman over Moreland or Richardson over Harmon. The best thing about Cal so far has been his willingness to accept that this is a lost season and play some of the young guys. But the question is will this continue into the offseason? And how aggressive will we be in the draft? I love the drafts where we have 10+ picks, but it doesn't matter if we don't play those guys. If we're not going to keep Scherff we need to be playing Martin over him because Scherff isn't the future. 

On 11/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, Thinking Skins said:

Whats funny is that you're talking about high caliber free agents. The Bruce Allen MO is going after some mid tier guys who provide a cost savings analysis. Sure there are exceptions like Collins and Norman but thats not really the way he goes forward. 

I think he's moved somewhat on that stance of late, maybe through desperation.

He traded for Smith on a big deal. We signed Collins. Apparently we were 2nd in the race for CJ Mosley. 

There simplay has to to be a shift in momentum to invigorate interest. 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

He traded for Smith on a big deal. We signed Collins. Apparently we were 2nd in the race for CJ Mosley. 

Nah, that's par the course. Normally he'll make one splash signing to excite the base, and we'll hear rumors about others. @Skinsinparadise remembers the Calais Campbell rumors... Oh how close we were, but instead we got two bargain basement guys with potential.

I don't get mad though. Other teams have built franchises by staying out of FA big deals. And it's not like Jax is winning SBs with Campbell. 

The truth is that we have more philosophical problems than personnel. Our defense shouldn't be this bad with this talent. Gregg had backups all over the secondary and still whipped up on us. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://fox61.com/2019/12/05/redskins-sign-receiver-jordan-veasy-after-colin-kaepernick-workout/

Redskins sign receiver Jordan Veasy after Colin Kaepernick workout

Veasy was one of the receivers catching passes from Kaepernick at his Nov. 16 workout.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has reportedly received no interest from any NFL team since his workout last month, but one of the receivers he threw to has just signed with an NFL team. He’s crediting the workout for helping make it happen.

Jordan Veasy has joined the Washington Redskins practice squad, according to The Washington Post.

The Nov. 16 workout for seven NFL teams at an Atlanta-area high school was meant to give Kaepernick a chance to get on an NFL roster for the first time since 2016. Veasy, 24, told the Post he believes the opportunity to catch passes from Kaepernick made a difference.

“It helped,” Veasy reportedly said. “That’s one of the reasons I wanted to be a part of it. Just being a part of the history of it, and I knew it was going to help me.”

https://www.redskins.com/news/derrius-guice-ir-redskins-2019

Derrius Guice Placed On IR, Will Miss The Rest Of The Season

In addition to placing Guice on Injured Reserve, there were a number of other roster moves Tuesday. The NFL placed CB Simeon Thomas on the reserve/suspended list, while the Redskins activated CB Danny Johnson from the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, signed RB Josh Ferguson from the practice squad and added RB Derrick Gore and LB Peter Robertson to the practice squad.

I'll say that I hope this new guy Josh Ferguson can be better than Smalwood/ 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/josh-ferguson?id=2555228

OVERVIEW

Ferguson never had a 1,000-rushing yard season in his career, but he's been invaluable to Illinois' offense when given the chance. He produced more than 1,000 yards of total offense in 2013 and 2014, including 1,162 as a junior (735 rushing, 427 receiving on 50 receptions), and scored 21 total touchdowns in 2013-2014. Ferguson missed three games with a shoulder injury as a senior, but still nearly reached four digits of rushing-receiving yards (988 total, five TD). Ferguson isn't the biggest back in the draft class, but his explosiveness and elusiveness are perfect for teams looking for a dual threat in the backfield.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Electric short-area acceleration from one of the most "sudden" backs in this draft. Possesses tremendously quick feet and seems to glide rather than run. Can make cuts on a dime. Can string together move after move with subtle direction changes, sharp jump cuts and wicked spin moves. Tacklers spend more time corralling him than hitting him with clean shots. Blazing speed to turn the corner and hit a "chunk yardage" run. Dangerous weapon in the passing game. Used to mismatch linebackers in coverage and was able to run away from them out of his breaks and after the catch. Can adjust to difficult throws in space and has desired hands to become a factor from the slot.

Key FAs:

2020 - Scherff, Thompson, Davis, Flowers, Way, Bostic, club option for AP

2021 - Dunbar, Moreau, Hopkins, Roullier, Kerrigan, Anderson, Nicholson, club options for Foster and Allen

Looking at that list, I’d consider re-signing:

Scherff 

Flowers 

Way

and extending Dunbar, Hopkins and Roullier (though we could wait and see how Piersbacher has developed by then).  Could also wait and see what the draft/FA brings before extending Dunbar.  I’d pick up AP’s option and see how Allen and Foster do next year.   

Question becomes, how much do those moves eat into our cap?  Do we have enough cap leftover to sign a top corner and TE?

Presumably we cut Norman and Reed and trade Williams, then next year we can cut ties with Smith, so we could reduce the cap hits for this year if need be.  

I’d let the rest walk... though we would need to find replacements at ILB (for next year - perhaps SDH/Foster) and FS (for 2021).

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Key FAs:

2020 - Scherff, Thompson, Davis, Flowers, Way, Bostic, club option for AP

2021 - Dunbar, Moreau, Hopkins, Roullier, Kerrigan, Anderson, Nicholson, club options for Foster and Allen

Looking at that list, I’d consider re-signing:

Scherff 

Flowers 

Way

and extending Dunbar, Hopkins and Roullier (though we could wait and see how Piersbacher has developed by then).  Could also wait and see what the draft/FA brings before extending Dunbar.  I’d pick up AP’s option and see how Allen and Foster do next year.   

Question becomes, how much do those moves eat into our cap?  Do we have enough cap leftover to sign a top corner and TE?

Presumably we cut Norman and Reed and trade Williams, then next year we can cut ties with Smith, so we could reduce the cap hits for this year if need be.  

I’d let the rest walk... though we would need to find replacements at ILB (for next year - perhaps SDH/Foster) and FS (for 2021).

If we release Norman, Williams and Reed it will take our cap space to around 80m for 2020 season. Should be more than enough to extend Sherff, Flowers and Way, with plenty left over for 3 to 4 quality Free Agents. 

HTTR 

https://riggosrag.com/2019/12/13/redskins-place-edge-ryan-kerrigan-on-ir-sign-te-caleb-wilson/

Redskins place EDGE Ryan Kerrigan on IR, sign TE Caleb Wilson

Ryan Kerrigan’s season is now over. To replace him on the active roster, the Washington Redskins signed tight end Caleb Wilson.

Meanwhile, to replace Kerrigan on the roster, the Redskins are reportedly signing tight end Caleb Wilson from the Cardinals practice squad. Wilson was Mr. Irrelevant in the 2019 NFL Draft, so now the Redskins have each of the last two draft’s Mr. Irrelevants on their squad (Trey Quinn, 2018).

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/caleb-wilson-settles-in-at-tight-end

Caleb Wilson Settles In At Tight End

Everyone wants to be a quarterback, and after playing the position at Gardena (Calif.) Serra High School, Caleb Wilson originally committed to do more of the same at Old Dominion University.

That plan changed after a moment of reckoning.

“My senior year in California, the quarterbacks out there were like Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Blake Barnett, some really talented guys, and I knew there was a difference between me and them,” Wilson said. “I knew I could play, but it was like, ‘You know what? They’re a little better than I am.’ I was like, ‘You can put three or four tight ends on the field. There’s only one quarterback. Maybe I should give myself a better chance.’”

3 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

https://riggosrag.com/2019/12/13/redskins-place-edge-ryan-kerrigan-on-ir-sign-te-caleb-wilson/

Redskins place EDGE Ryan Kerrigan on IR, sign TE Caleb Wilson

Ryan Kerrigan’s season is now over. To replace him on the active roster, the Washington Redskins signed tight end Caleb Wilson.

Meanwhile, to replace Kerrigan on the roster, the Redskins are reportedly signing tight end Caleb Wilson from the Cardinals practice squad. Wilson was Mr. Irrelevant in the 2019 NFL Draft, so now the Redskins have each of the last two draft’s Mr. Irrelevants on their squad (Trey Quinn, 2018).

I feel really bad for Kerrigan.  He will likely be traded this off season and will be 1 sack away from Dexter Manley's 91.

Archived