Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To be a man

LD0506

I learned a long time ago that in order to be the man I could be, I had to work to be more than what we all think a man is.

What I mean by that, is trying to "be a man" at certain stages of development often risks being locked into limitations or what I call masculinity traps, because masculinity as it is currently envisioned is tainted by the flaws of those who are currently modeling it's paradigm. It is only by going beyond masculinity, by meeting it and beating it, that you get above it and see which parts are toxic or limiting and get the clarity to create a better version of it.

A goldilocks version of masculinity. A man fully developed and individuated, with high capability and synergy rationally, emotionally, socially, sexually, spiritually, and instinctually.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Agree. I’m just not sure that’s what it means to be a man. 

I think there's too much surrounding that in many societies—what is manly or not manly. Giving a **** what other people think—inherently unmanly. Like cowgirl pointed out, just be a decent human being. 

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

If you can't look another man in the eye while having a disagreement...you aren't a man. 

Clearly not on the internet. 

It's amazing to me how much we judge others on manliness, based on how we handle tension.

Tension is one of the most honest mirrors for where you are as a man. How we handle it, the automatic behaviors we show in the presence of tension.  And it's for all kinds of tension, the tension before a fight or disagreement, the tension during negotiations and social situations, and even sexual tension.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

You gotta smoke Marlboro reds, drink rye whiskey, eat bacon, wear jeans and be able to change your own oil.  Plus you can’t be a fatty with titties.

Funny, because smoking will kill you, drinking too much will kill you, too much bacon and things like it will kill you, being a fatty with titties will kill you. Changing your own oil? Useful but not necessary. 

Be a man: don't smoke, drink in moderation, wear jeans, exercise, and eat healthy. 

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’d like to add that I am currently engaged in a decades-long boycott of Gillette owing to my great hatred of the lousy, cheating Patriots and their preening owner.

And that type of stubbornness and grudge-holding feels pretty manly to me.

*spits*

Indeed. 

And what I consider to be a terribly sexist slogan...The Best a Man Can Get...does their marketing department not know that they make womens' products too? 

I tried the Pure Silk disposable razors and I LOVE THEM! (I've also known the Clark Howard "use em for months" trick for decades.) 

Pfft, you can still cry and show emotion and be a man. It’s not about crying or not crying, it’s about not crumbling during trying times when people are depending on you. 

Get your **** done and make things better and you can cry whenever the hell you want and still be masculine. 

To be afraid to cry because of what others might think, leads you away from confident and healthy masculinity. 

Also, men are emotional as ****. They just suck at understanding and recognizing/verbalizing their emotions so project unto women that their the “emotional ones”.  We’re all emotional, we just get emotional about different ****.

47 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Pfft, you can still cry and show emotion and be a man. It’s not about crying or not crying, it’s about not crumbling during trying times when people are depending on you. 

Get your **** done and make things better and you can cry whenever the hell you want and still be masculine. 

Dick Vermeil approves this post.

I would like to point out boys are more emotional than girls as young kids/babies. I asked around because raising 2 of each, the boys are much more sensitive and emotional. Turns out, that is normal. How much of what we think of as stereo typical masculinity is completely learned behavior versus having anything to do with dangles between our legs? Note, I didnt say hair on the face as I know many women who was their lips and eyebrows.

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

To be afraid to cry because of what others might think, leads you away from confident and healthy masculinity. 

Also, men are emotional as ****. They just suck at understanding and recognizing/verbalizing their emotions so project unto women that their the “emotional ones”.  We’re all emotional, we just get emotional about different ****.

“Emotional” taken on the meanjngnof crying, weepy-guys get angry, guys get sad, guys get happy. Just watch any fan watching sports. These are all emotions. 

Bill Burr has a great segment on emotions-YouTube, search for bill burr “what are you a faaag?”

Archived