Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

@Skinsinparadise also, there might be a difference here in that Dan and Gregg have a relationship.  And I kinda think in this scenario, Dan is involved. I kinda doubt Gregg would talk to anybody but Dan.  I mean, im

surr he’ll sit with Bruce and Jay, but at the end of the day, Gregg will want to talk to Dan. 

Actually I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Bruce and Jay would prefer to roll with Manusky (known quantity who won’t rock the boat), but Dan just can’t quite hold his patience anymore and is forcing a change.  If that’s the case then Dan closes the deal, not Bruce, and for all his faults, Dan’s good at that when he wants to be.  Dan’s problem is that he has chosen to close the deal with the wrong guy too often.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise also, there might be a difference here in that Dan and Gregg have a relationship.  And I kinda think in this scenario, Dan is involved. I kinda doubt Gregg would talk to anybody but Dan.  I mean, im

surr he’ll sit with Bruce and Jay, but at the end of the day, Gregg will want to talk to Dan. 

Actually I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Bruce and Jay would prefer to roll with Manusky (known quantity who won’t rock the boat), but Dan just can’t quite hold his patience anymore and is forcing a change.  If that’s the case then Dan closes the deal, not Bruce, and for all his faults, Dan’s good at that when he wants to be.  Dan’s problem is that he has chosen to close the deal with the wrong guy too often.

All of that is plausible. I've said of those 3 parties Dan is the one who makes the most sense as for interest and by a mile. 

If Dan sincerely wants the splash to be via a defensive coordinator hire, this one is as good as it gets especially with Gregg's run as HC for the Browns.

I was just catching up on my reading on Gregg tonight and it fuels the man crush I had on the dude when he was here.  Now it does nothing for me bottom line wise as to the organization being a mess. But as to coordinators, he is by far my fav D coordinator we have had since Petitbon.

From Matt Bowen who played for him

Motivation, accountability and attitude all play a crucial role in defensive football. It goes deeper than schemes or game plans or matchups.

Take the Tennessee Titans this season. They are a 3-1 football team that has completely changed the way they play on the defensive side of the ball, creating turnovers, sacks and pressure.

This is a nasty defense. A physical defense. Turn on the film and watch it for yourself.

And Gregg Williams has played a major role in this turnaround in his first year back in the NFL after serving a one-year suspension for the bounty program in New Orleans.

The senior assistant/defense for Tennessee has this unit playing with a style that reminds me of the two years I spent with Williams in Washington as a defensive back.

But how can one coach cause such a dramatic change?

Here’s my inside look at Williams, his scheme and the attitude he can bring to a football team.

Accountability Is the Key

Williams had three rules written up on the chalkboard in his defensive team meeting room:

1. Be on time 
  2. Touch all lines
  3. Buckle your chinstrap 

That’s it. Be accountable for your actions.

Within five minutes during that first meeting, I knew this was the guy I wanted to play for. He commanded that meeting room, spoke with supreme confidence and let us know right away that things were going to change at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va.

Hey, Williams can coach. He can motivate. And he absolutely demands accountability from his players. Forget contracts, where you were drafted, etc.

Miss tackles? Bust coverages? Give up plays over the top? Well, then you are probably going to sit. And I’ve been there after giving up the deep one.

That isn’t fun.

But we needed that type of change as a defense after a 5-11 record in 2003 under Steve Spurrier. That season, we lacked structure and discipline. There was a lot of talent on that roster, but there was a disconnect that existed every day in practice settings that could have been mistaken for junior high recess.

Not with Williams. Nope. We were challenged every practice and expected to produce. He ran the defense like a head coach under Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs.

I bought into his style of coaching immediately, and I believe the majority of my defensive teammates did as well.

We were hooked—and it showed with our play on the field.

That defense was smarter, faster, more physical and welcomed the challenges of playing in Williams' scheme.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

8. The Jets’ deal with Gregg Williams isn’t done, and several other teams are keeping an eye on that. Williams is in a position of power, because the other two names that the team was considering (Vance Joseph and Chuck Pagano) are off the table. So … stay tuned.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/14/nfl-updates-news-kyler-murray-draft-scouts-reports-sheldon-rankins-sean-mcvay-rob-gronkowski?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Looking for a bigger payday from the Jets.  Still think it's like a 100-1 odds we sign GW.  Again, hope I'm wrong.  Just think IF all is well with Snyder and Williams as some have said it will be telling.  Who gets their way, Allen or Snyder.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Looking for a bigger payday from the Jets.  Still think it's like a 100-1 odds we sign GW.  Again, hope I'm wrong.  Just think IF all is well with Snyder and Williams as some have said it will be telling.  Who gets their way, Allen or Snyder.

For me the most interesting dynamic is the money part of this.  I think little of old school Dan or the new school version of him.  But the one redeeming thing I like about old school Dan was that he used to be able to at least buy coaching talent if that was the way to get it done.  The new neutered version of Dan I presume thanks to Bruce's influence is where coaches have to consider both the bad culture and the team being cheap.  That's one of the many depressing dynamics of this Bruce Allen era.  

I'd think old school Dan can get this done.  Don't think new school Dan could.   And the one and probably only thing I'd like to see resurface from old school Dan is the ability to outbid other suitors for coaching targets -- preferably for personnel people too but that's a whole different narrative.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All of that is plausible. I've said of those 3 parties Dan is the one who makes the most sense as for interest and by a mile. 

If Dan sincerely wants the splash to be via a defensive coordinator hire, this one is as good as it gets especially with Gregg's run as HC for the Browns.

I was just catching up on my reading on Gregg tonight and it fuels the man crush I had on the dude when he was here.  Now it does nothing for me bottom line wise as to the organization being a mess. But as to coordinators, he is by far my fav D coordinator we have had since Petitbon.

From Matt Bowen who played for him

Motivation, accountability and attitude all play a crucial role in defensive football. It goes deeper than schemes or game plans or matchups.

Take the Tennessee Titans this season. They are a 3-1 football team that has completely changed the way they play on the defensive side of the ball, creating turnovers, sacks and pressure.

This is a nasty defense. A physical defense. Turn on the film and watch it for yourself.

And Gregg Williams has played a major role in this turnaround in his first year back in the NFL after serving a one-year suspension for the bounty program in New Orleans.

The senior assistant/defense for Tennessee has this unit playing with a style that reminds me of the two years I spent with Williams in Washington as a defensive back.

But how can one coach cause such a dramatic change?

Here’s my inside look at Williams, his scheme and the attitude he can bring to a football team.

Accountability Is the Key

Williams had three rules written up on the chalkboard in his defensive team meeting room:

1. Be on time 
  2. Touch all lines
  3. Buckle your chinstrap 

That’s it. Be accountable for your actions.

Within five minutes during that first meeting, I knew this was the guy I wanted to play for. He commanded that meeting room, spoke with supreme confidence and let us know right away that things were going to change at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va.

Hey, Williams can coach. He can motivate. And he absolutely demands accountability from his players. Forget contracts, where you were drafted, etc.

Miss tackles? Bust coverages? Give up plays over the top? Well, then you are probably going to sit. And I’ve been there after giving up the deep one.

That isn’t fun.

But we needed that type of change as a defense after a 5-11 record in 2003 under Steve Spurrier. That season, we lacked structure and discipline. There was a lot of talent on that roster, but there was a disconnect that existed every day in practice settings that could have been mistaken for junior high recess.

Not with Williams. Nope. We were challenged every practice and expected to produce. He ran the defense like a head coach under Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs.

I bought into his style of coaching immediately, and I believe the majority of my defensive teammates did as well.

We were hooked—and it showed with our play on the field.

That defense was smarter, faster, more physical and welcomed the challenges of playing in Williams' scheme.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense

Man I wanted us to go hard after Gregg before I saw this article. Now I want them do whtever it takes to get this done. GW would bring a refreshing amount of accountability to that defense. And honestly I think it would be good for the culture of the team and I honestly think it would probably be good for Jay as well. Gregg could be the bad cop to Jays good cop which they don’t have right now. I guarantee you we wouldn’t get an answer like Manusky saying yeah we laugh and joke a lot at practice because it’s hard to keep these guys attention for 40 mins. I’m all on board to do whatever it takes to get this done. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me the most interesting dynamic is the money part of this.  I think little of old school Dan or the new school version of him.  But the one redeeming thing I like about old school Dan was that he used to be able to at least buy coaching talent if that was the way to get it done.  The new neutered version of Dan I presume thanks to Bruce's influence is where coaches have to consider both the bad culture and the team being cheap.  That's one of the many depressing dynamics of this Bruce Allen era.  

I'd think old school Dan can get this done.  Don't think new school Dan could.   And the one and probably only thing I'd like to see resurface from old school Dan is the ability to outbid other suitors for coaching targets -- preferably for personnel people too but that's a whole different narrative.

For once I actually think it would be a good thing for Dan to throw his weight around to get this done if need be. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hope Snyder pays Williams and he becomes our new DC.  Again, I think it won't happen but I hope it does. :) 

Seems like if you want to interview a candidate without his incumbent and the media learning of it, and you have Snyder's kind of money, there could be much more under-the-radar methods of accomplishing it.

Why not be stealthy and send Redskins' One to Gregg Williams' desert villa in Sedona, Arizona, to have a private face to face meeting with GG ?

Brian Mitchell on Redskins 100 brought up an interesting point. He said if the Redskins sign Gregg Williams as the DC they could move Greg Manusky to Special Teams coordinator since he would still be under contract and he has special teams experience. That was an out of the box move that could be possible.

1 minute ago, clietas said:

Wait I thought Double G to the Jets already happened? Skins still going after him is giving me way way way to much hope. Please o please bring Williams back.

Gregg Williams has not signed the contract with the Jets yet. The news conference today that the Jets had did not mention Gregg Williams. The Redskins and Williams are trying to get a meeting with each other.

3 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

Brian Mitchell on Redskins 100 brought up an interesting point. He said if the Redskins sign Gregg Williams as the DC they could move Greg Manusky to Special Teams coordinator since he would still be under contract and he has special teams experience. That was an out of the box move that could be possible.

Defensive coordinator is usually a more lucrative position. I don't know what they're paying Manusky, but a cheap FO isn't likely to pay a guy DC money to coach Teams.

We're going to learn a lot about this franchise in the coming days.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sales and attendance are down big time.  Dan is in a I must fill the seats and sell the gear now mode.  He has decided screw Lafemina and crew because he will get it done. And Gregg will at least temporarily calm the fan base fury.  Don't be surprised if he backs up the Brink's truck here.  Bruce will be holding himself in the corner when this one is done.   

If Dan was ignorant regarding fan disapproval before, yeah I guess he was living under a rock, he sure isn't now is he.

I totally agree that there will be a private meeting between Dan and Gregg.  Of course there will be.  I think Gregg, if he is not looking to get revenge, will walk out with a salary we can only imagine, with probably get the Assistant Head Coach title back,  and a probably a not so subtle promise to be the future HC.  Because that is how this organization runs and someone who was involved in "bounty gate" is sure not going to take the moral high ground here.  This is business. Pay me. 

8 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Man I wanted us to go hard after Gregg before I saw this article. Now I want them do whtever it takes to get this done. GW would bring a refreshing amount of accountability to that defense. And honestly I think it would be good for the culture of the team and I honestly think it would probably be good for Jay as well. Gregg could be the bad cop to Jays good cop which they don’t have right now. I guarantee you we wouldn’t get an answer like Manusky saying yeah we laugh and joke a lot at practice because it’s hard to keep these guys attention for 40 mins. I’m all on board to do whatever it takes to get this done. 

For once I actually think it would be a good thing for Dan to throw his weight around to get this done if need be. 

As for Jay, my gut is it wouldn't be great for him unless they seriously upgrade the offensive side of the roster this off season.  I can totally envision if Gregg is here a 2004 type of season, really good defense that's held back by a bad offense.   The parallels would be interesting including the offense's bell cow likely being a really good Rb with a big personality.  But if Dan imposes this on Jay if that's what goes down that might add some tension, too.   

I used to love watching Gregg's pressers on Thursday, ever since he left I rarely even bothered watching the other D coordinators who were boring in comparison and I didn't have similar faith in them.  I recall one of them was the 2nd time they were about to play the giants that year after they got lit up the first time.  they asked Gregg did he remind his players of that.  And he gave a wide smile and say oh boy did I remind them of all of it.   And the way he said it, you just a feeling they'd play that game with their hair on fire.

I like Jay's play design, likability, roll with the punches style.  But sometimes yeah its good to have some ying with the yang.  Most people's personalities swing from positives and if you flip it over its negative.  Jay is likable for example but does that make him at times a push over?  Gregg is the tough cop but does that at times make him abrasive and it wears thin?  So I do think its good to have a little of both.   

I think Jay's personality helps the team bounce back after a lost (or it typically does), Gregg's personality helps to avoid them not playing flat in big games.    If they added Gregg do I think it would add to the chaos.  Yes, I do.  I like him as a coach but it puts a potential HC in waiting right in the wings of Jay in a lame duck year.  But for me where I feel this season has nothing to lose in my book so if they tank i am cool with it -- I am relaxed about all of it.

I'd enjoy seeing Gregg back so I'd  support it big time from that side of things.  But if people want to make the argument against the process if its Dan imposing this or does it put Jay on the hot spot, etc -- I don't disagree. 

And I admit Bruce having a guy in that building that might irritate the heck out of him would be a bonus for me -- even if Bruce ends up winning the war.  Can you imagine Bruce going to Gregg's coaching room and giving him a decree like hey dude we traded for Haha Clinton Dix we don't care if you don't think he's our best FS right now, play him.  Gregg would likely tell the dude to take a hike with expletive after expletive. 

You'd Better Have a Notebook

Williams’ scheme is complex. Multiple fronts, coverages, pressures, personnel packages, etc. There was a lot going on there. A defense that went deeper than anything I had experienced as a player.

Williams' cornerback "cat" out of Ruby personnel.
Williams' cornerback "cat" out of Ruby personnel.

Because of that, your notebook was a vital piece of property that went everywhere with you.

His meetings reminded me of college-level courses that combined chalkboard sessions with film work. I still have the notebooks from my time in Washington, and they are filled with concepts, blitzes, coverages and so on.

We covered everything in our game plans. From gadget plays to what to expect on 3rd-and-2 through 3rd-and-6 based on field position, alignment, personnel, wide receiver splits and the depth of the running back. We went into games ready to play versus anything the offense could throw at us.

And that film work was so detailed.

I thought I knew how to study tape, but that wasn’t the case. Under Williams, I really learned the NFL game. Instead of “watching the tape,” I let the film tell me a story.

The meetings were no joke, and we were tested every day when the film started rolling. Williams had no problem putting you on the spot to answer questions, identify concepts or offensive schemes.

Monday Film Review

Williams wouldn’t allow us to relax or think we had arrived as a defense. Even on Mondays after a great defensive performance, he would start our film review sessions by showing cut-ups of the plays we busted on. And he had no problem calling players out. 

If we do get Gregg in it will be an interesting move because I think it will be because Dan got more involved than he generally has been in the last few years.... Which in this instance is a good thing. 

The other thing to note. The season before we finally canned Cerato he was given the official GM title...

Bruce needs to realise in giving Bruce all the power he wants with hands in football and business operations, Dan expects him to improve things. Dan has taken all the pillars away from Bruce, guys he can hide behind.... Could this be the put up or shut up time.

If Bruce has undermined LaFemina pointing out the empty stadiums then he is going to be expected to fix it. Right now... 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think so too and probably in season 2019 and it goes down loud  and ugly if it happens.

I just don't see how the Redskins get Williams here without him being the head coach.

Not only for his terms and conditions, but the team's. 

Manusky is already going to be in the disgruntled category. If Gregg comes in as Jay's DC, Jay has to know its a matter of time before he's replaced. How do you lure a guy like Gregg into a dysfunctional organization? You have to promise him something and pay him good money. And Jay isn't a stupid guy... so he'd know that. That leads to a lot of awkward and some strange meetings when you know you're likely staring at your replacement. But Jay also knows he can't violate his contract if he wants to get paid, so you most likely have a guy going through the motions knowing he can be undermined by the DC at any point...

So unless they are purposely using Jay as a tank commander if Williams is brought in as DC, the best bet for the team would be releasing Jay. Which means the team needs a head football coach.

I just don't see a scenario where Williams is brought in and isn't the head guy ultimately... so why delay it?

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Gregg Williams is going to mess around and end up the head coach here.

This is exactly what I hope happens.. I truly believe the rant I went on a few pages ago is what's going to happen..

Haaa I'm telling ya..I'm calling it/all ready called it ..Danny boy stepping up to the plate..gonna do things his way, tell Bruce to sit in the corner and zip it..

Archived