Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Jenkins: Gifting Daniel Snyder any money or land for a new Redskins stadium would be absolute madness

Boss_Hogg

...Even his fellow owner-billionaires in the NFL are embarrassed and unhappy about the yawning decks of unfilled seats, and the black mood of the few influentials who still go to Redskins games, a league executive told me. If there is one thing that NFL owners don’t like, it’s “apathy in a major market,” the longtime exec said. They are especially bothered by apathy in the nation’s capital, where they rely on strong interest and relationships to protect their business practices. “Washington, D.C. is Washington, D.C.,” the executive said, “and there is a trickle-down effect.” NFL owners put the blame for the bleeding of goodwill squarely on the so-called management of Snyder and his pally team President Bruce Allen, who they regard as “literally, a joke.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/gifting-daniel-snyder-any-money-or-land-for-a-new-redskins-stadium-would-be-absolute-madness/2019/01/01/5337cd42-0de5-11e9-831f-3aa2c2be4cbd_story.html?utm_term=.1ae3a7cff81a

I know we all like to pick on Sally Jenkins but IMO this is one of the most spot-on and damning pieces about Snyder's tutelage. Not only has Snyder destroyed the Washington Redskins but his stench of failure is starting to seep over into the NFL brand. 

Is there anyway Snyder can be forced out or can the NFL delete the franchise due to sagging revenue and attendance? Asking for a friend. 

33 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The entirety of the Kitk Cousins/FO incompetency narrative was a utter failure.  So, Sally has moved on to the “some people say/unnamed exec” and “Snyder screwed Richmond” narrative.

Pathetic clickbait.

Yeah, I’m sure all the other owners and GM’s are jealous of Bruce’s elite handling of Kirk Cousins.  While they collect draft picks in trades for their worse QBs and avoid doubling down by extending a 34 year old average QB to 3 years of big guaranteed money to replace the average QB they paid 44M to confirm he was just average.  That’s probably why an exec said he was a joke, jealousy.  Or better yet, she just made that quote up, because how could anyone ever come the conclusion that Bruce sucks?  With such a glowing resume of success, that just seems impossible.

Let's not get too excited. Snyder is going no where. As bad as he's been as a franchise owner he's been a decent business partner in terms of knowing how to maximize revenue generated. 

Some of us don't like him because he's too focused on the business side of things. That's exactly what his fellow owners love about him. 

I'd add, the stadium is a huge deal for Dan and that ball has already started in motion. Tax payers will fork over a lot of money due to back room deals done to ensure his franchise is worth another $1-2 billion dollars. He's so financially motivated it's like he can't avoid trying to cash in. I actually think a large reason why he's not investing back into FedEx field is to create a larger gap between the current and future offering. 

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

“Can’t possibly be true, just another hit piece” 

- Bruce Allen, Tony Wylie, and the 11 fans left

Can we please stop equating "fans left" to being delusional?  We're all fans, but I'm getting tired of this lack if distinction 

The owners won't force Snyder out. They don't care that we suck, they just want us to be relevant for the sake of the DC market(nobody wants a big market like DC to completely stop caring about their team as that eventually results in not caring about the sport itself).

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The entirety of the Kitk Cousins/FO incompetency narrative was a utter failure.  So, Sally has moved on to the “some people say/unnamed exec” and “Snyder screwed Richmond” narrative.

Pathetic clickbait.

I love this website and all the good folks in it. I'll keep coming here because of that... but this team has become pathetic clickbait. :)

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It was a joke, man.

Guess I could have clarified the 11 fans left that remain positive about the powers that be.

I figured that, I just tend to say what I think so its out there to get on same page about, its all good.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Pathetic clickbait.

Sally Jenkins has written on sports for 30 years, undoubtedly building a massive network of reliable connections. She was the first woman inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Hall of Fame. She's won AP Columnist of the Year Award 4x and has had a NY Times best seller that was also awarded sports book of the year.

Now, does this mean even the most respected writers don't sometimes get things wrong (not purposefully, but even after doing proper reporting - things change, sources can be wrong etc.), of course not. But just because she doesn't write what you want to hear doesn't mean it's clickbait. She could write 50 stories on the failures of the Redskins organization in 2019, and sure it would be an agenda, but they'd probably still all be accurate. Why people give the benefit of the doubt to the executives in this joke of an organization I'll never get.

3 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Is there anyway Snyder can be forced out or can the NFL delete the franchise due to sagging revenue and attendance? Asking for a friend. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The owners won't force Snyder out. They don't care that we suck, they just want us to be relevant for the sake of the DC market(nobody wants a big market like DC to completely stop caring about their team as that eventually results in not caring about the sport itself).

NBA booted L.A.Clippers owner Daniel Sterling after his ignorant racist rant. But recall any owner in any sport losing a franchise due to low revenue. Anyway a lot of these type decisions would have to be voted by the other owners and like Warhead36 said they don't care.

Jenkins is pretty terrible, but even she couldn't **** up this fastball down the middle.  Public financing of NFL stadiums is a terrible idea for everyone but the franchise owner, even under the best circumstances.  A city could, arguably, justify it if the team they were providing the giveaway to was a significant source of civic pride and the stadium was particularly well-situated to drive traffic to the businesses around it during the 40 or so days it was in use throughout the year.  One, the Skins are terrible on and off the field and the entire region is frustrated by or indifferent to their awfulness.  Two, the RFK stadium site is not situated where it could be a significant boost economically.  Three, Danny Snyder has plenty of money, he doesn't need public money.  If he's going to run the franchise against nearly everyone's wishes, he can do it without everyone's money.  

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Jenkins is pretty terrible, but even she couldn't **** up this fastball down the middle.  Public financing of NFL stadiums is a terrible idea for everyone but the franchise owner, even under the best circumstances.  A city could, arguably, justify it if the team they were providing the giveaway to was a significant source of civic pride and the stadium was particularly well-situated to drive traffic to the businesses around it during the 40 or so days it was in use throughout the year.  One, the Skins are terrible on and off the field and the entire region is frustrated by or indifferent to their awfulness.  Two, the RFK stadium site is not situated where it could be a significant boost economically.  Three, Danny Snyder has plenty of money, he doesn't need public money.  If he's going to run the franchise against nearly everyone's wishes, he can do it without everyone's money.  

Why is Jenkins terrible? Because she frequently writes negative stories about a bottom-dwelling organization?

15 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Why is Jenkins terrible? Because she frequently writes negative stories about a bottom-dwelling organization?

In my opinion, she decides on a very superficial level whether people or organizations are entirely "bad" or "good" and then writes stories to support her first instinct.  She is a talented writer, but has no nuance.  

For example, she decided long ago that Tom Brady was a "good guy."  So on top of writing stories about Brady that will give you a cavity when things go well, she also writes a bunch of stories defending Brady and deflecting blame for any missteps he takes:

Why Roger Goodell, not Tom Brady, is Deflategate’s real loser

In DeflateGate, who is the real cheater, Tom Brady or Roger Goodell? (Answer:  NOT Tom Brady)

Tom Brady’s lawyers missed the point: his innocence

Same deal with Lance Armstrong.  Sally helped him write his book before the PED scandal, so no matter what, she'll defend him.  Why I’m not angry at Lance Armstrong

So, of course, on the other side, once she's decided that someone is "bad" she pounds away relentlessly to support what she already thinks.  I TOTALLY agree with Sally that Dan Snyder is terrible, and I wish he'd sell the team or be forced to flee the country or jailed or whatever.  I'll consumer article about that all day.  But with Sally Jenkins, it's pointless because I know that her story is built to support her preexisting axe to grind, where normally articles should follow the facts to develop the conclusion.  

*Full disclosure, i think the Lance Armstrong hate went way too far.  

2 hours ago, Dancing Bear said:

NBA booted L.A.Clippers owner Daniel Sterling after his ignorant racist rant. But recall any owner in any sport losing a franchise due to low revenue. Anyway a lot of these type decisions would have to be voted by the other owners and like Warhead36 said they don't care.

That was not really his point.

His point that they don't care our W/L ratio or us being relevant on the field or not.

What they do care is about making less and less money each year passing by.

When Snyder arrived, two teams where at the top of it: Cowboys and Redskins. Now we're falling. We're not even raising slower than other teams, we're falling...

At this rate we'll have less attendance at FedEx Field next year than the Charges do have right now.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

In my opinion, she decides on a very superficial level whether people or organizations are entirely "bad" or "good" and then writes stories to support her first instinct.  She is a talented writer, but has no nuance.  

For example, she decided long ago that Tom Brady was a "good guy."  So on top of writing stories about Brady that will give you a cavity when things go well, she also writes a bunch of stories defending Brady and deflecting blame for any missteps he takes:

Why Roger Goodell, not Tom Brady, is Deflategate’s real loser

In DeflateGate, who is the real cheater, Tom Brady or Roger Goodell? (Answer:  NOT Tom Brady)

Tom Brady’s lawyers missed the point: his innocence

Same deal with Lance Armstrong.  Sally helped him write his book before the PED scandal, so no matter what, she'll defend him.  Why I’m not angry at Lance Armstrong

So, of course, on the other side, once she's decided that someone is "bad" she pounds away relentlessly to support what she already thinks.  I TOTALLY agree with Sally that Dan Snyder is terrible, and I wish he'd sell the team or be forced to flee the country or jailed or whatever.  I'll consumer article about that all day.  But with Sally Jenkins, it's pointless because I know that her story is built to support her preexisting axe to grind, where normally articles should follow the facts to develop the conclusion.  

*Full disclosure, i think the Lance Armstrong hate went way too far.  

Well, she's a columnist so her stories can have more personal opinion in them than a beat reporter. Was there anything factually incorrect in her defense of Lance Armstrong? If she develops an opinion and backs it up with factual data and accurate quotes, there's nothing wrong with that. Just like all the other people who vilify Lance can do the same thing and the reader can draw their own conclusion. I don't think that's completely why she defends him, I think there is something to be said for how much heat he got for blood doping, whereas if he was caught poisoning other riders, I doubt she would be like "oh well, he meant well."

In the case of the Redskins, I would argue her opinion is based on having much more access to NFL executives than anyone on this message board will ever have. For example, if a bunch of people she interviewed unexpectedly told her, actually Dan isn't that bad and here's why, she'd probably include that context. But of course, those people don't exist except for his lackeys. 

If she was a beat reporter, it's a completely different story. A beat reporter simply reports what happened and who said what and who is injured etc. A columnist's job is to have a take, and Sally is certainly more credible than the TV columnists we see yelling at each other.

I think at this point its obvious the owners all want Snyder out.  However, thats a far cry from them actually being willing to make it happen.

The NFL owners have the authority to remove an owner, and force him to sell, if hes doing damage to the league.  They have wide latitude in what that constitutes.  However, the reason they wont do it is the scary precedent it sets.  It requires a unanimous vote I believe, and there are too many owners who will be worried that if running your franchise into the ground is what it takes, they may be next.  Its one step closer to some of the miserably owners(like the Davis family) being ousted as well.

And that fear will be enough to prevent them from using the nuclear option, even if they have it under their power.   Of course, what it may not stop is some of the owners starting to look for some serious dirt on Snyder, and digging up something that may then LET them use the nuclear clause without causing that fear.

42 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Well, she's a columnist so her stories can have more personal opinion in them than a beat reporter. Was there anything factually incorrect in her defense of Lance Armstrong? If she develops an opinion and backs it up with factual data and accurate quotes, there's nothing wrong with that. Just like all the other people who vilify Lance can do the same thing and the reader can draw their own conclusion. I don't think that's completely why she defends him, I think there is something to be said for how much heat he got for blood doping, whereas if he was caught poisoning other riders, I doubt she would be like "oh well, he meant well."

In the case of the Redskins, I would argue her opinion is based on having much more access to NFL executives than anyone on this message board will ever have. For example, if a bunch of people she interviewed unexpectedly told her, actually Dan isn't that bad and here's why, she'd probably include that context. But of course, those people don't exist except for his lackeys. 

If she was a beat reporter, it's a completely different story. A beat reporter simply reports what happened and who said what and who is injured etc. A columnist's job is to have a take, and Sally is certainly more credible than the TV columnists we see yelling at each other.

I get she’s an opinion writer. When her opinion is based on her preconceived notions and not changed by new facts, why should anyone care what she thinks?

With respect to Armstrong, she wrote a book with him and likes him personally. So she defends his actions because of her personal relationship, which I, the reader, don’t care about but know is biasing her opinion in a way that makes her column inauthentic. 

If you like her, great. I’m not a fan. 

Archived