Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

If you trade Turner might as well move Soto.

Yeah, no.  Turner is 28 and will reach free agency in 2023.

Soto is 22 and will reach free agency in 2025.

The Nats are not looking at a 5 year rebuild.  More like a 2-3 year retool. 

Also probably looking to make Soto the franchise player and will not be able to afford Turner 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah, no.  Turner is 28 and will reach free agency in 2023.

Soto is 22 and will reach free agency in 2025.

The Nats are not looking at a 5 year rebuild.  More like a 2-3 year retool. 

Also probably looking to make Soto the franchise player and will not be able to afford Turner 

You have more faith in this short retool than I do. 

We'll see.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

You have more faith in this short retool than I do. 

We'll see.

Rizzo has been able to make quick moves to get the team in a good spot without 2 bad years in a row for a decade. Now that we have that (if you could that nonsense of a 60 game season), it's time for more of a reboot. I trust Rizzo.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Hate it.  But understand it.  Hopefully these three teams drive up the price and we end up with CJ Abrams.  That would make me feel better.

Exactly how I feel. Between the pending Max trade, Strasburg's career all but effectively over, and potential Turner trade...this will be the saddest week in Nats History. It's the 1st time we've ever had to tear down.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Exactly how I feel. Between the pending Max trade, Strasburg's career all but effectively over, and potential Turner trade...this will be the saddest week in Nats History. It's the 1st time we've ever had to tear down.

I was sadder after a few different playoff runs that feel short because Matt Williams or Dusty made a boneheaded mistake. This is kind of a dignified "They set out to win a title, and they did.....now the bill is due" bummed out. 

• Like 2

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

heard Tampa is interested also and they have a highly rated farm system. 

Tampa does, but he supposedly wants to go to the West Coast--and those three are division rivals--Preller also has a reputation of being trade happy. If we end up with Ruiz, Gore, Abrams, Luciano, Bart, or Campusano as a center piece, that would be phenomenal. Getting a bidding war going makes this sting less.

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I was sadder after a few different playoff runs that feel short because Matt Williams or Dusty made a boneheaded mistake. This is kind of a dignified "They set out to win a title, and they did.....now the bill is due" bummed out. 

I wasn't sad at those failures, I was pissed the **** off, but knew we'd be back. This is the other end for me, this is the end of an era.

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

NL West is going to get super interesting if Scherzer is dealt to one of those teams.  

I hope it's SD. I would love to see Max shutdown LA & SF in a pennant race. Melancon & Stammen are there so it makes pulling for them to win easier for me. ****ing hate LA. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I hope it's SD. I would love to see Max shutdown LA & SF in a pennant race. Melancon & Stammen are there so it makes pulling for them to win easier for me. ****ing hate LA. 

Tatis is awesome too. I’d love to adopt the Padres as my team for the playoffs this year. Probably end up rooting for whoever gets Max though. If I can even stomach watching baseball by then… that’s really tbd. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Who gets moved and who stays? All are free agents after this season other than the ones with an asterisk. Those are free agents after next season. 

Scherzer

Schwarber*

Turner*

Hand

Hudson

Gomes

Bell*

Escobar

Harrison

Ross

Scherzer, Hand, Hudson, and Harrison would be my guess.

Ross could be a sneaky good addition to a playoff team who needs a 4th/5th starter. He’s dirt cheap and has pitched really well this year.

Escobar would be a quick flip for us, I’m pretty sure we got him for cash from the Royals and would get at best a low level prospect for him. But he could be a solid utility/depth guy. 

Harrison is probably a bench bat. But he’s got some power, so that’s useful. And he’s cheap. 

Schwarber being injured is an issue but it would depend on the prognosis. I’ve been expecting him back in the lineup around September. He could be a huge addition that wouldn’t cost a ton in prospects. And under team control next year is a big bonus. 

Huddy/Hand- everyone needs relievers. Hand’s recent performance and his contract may be an issue. 

Bell has been hitting well recently but I’m not sure how many teams have a need. I assume most contenders have better options at 1B. 

Gomes being hurt complicates his move. He might be a really good backup catcher for a lot of teams. He’s making $6m this year. Not the cheapest option but not horrible either.