Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

We should throw in Keiboom with any trade that goes down.  I just haven't seen anything that shows me he's going to turn things around.  That throw to first on the slow roller lst night was the final straw for me to say pull the plug on that experiment.

• Like 2

I'm not happy, but the team gave us a WS two seasons ago, so I'm not full on depressed.  I can't even be mad about Strasburg, he's one of the main reasons we got one.

Sucks, but hopefully we keep Soto on a long term deal and load up for another run in a few years.  Be interesting to see what sort of pieces we can get back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forehead said:

I'm not happy, but the team gave us a WS two seasons ago, so I'm not full on depressed.  I can't even be mad about Strasburg, he's one of the main reasons we got one.

Sucks, but hopefully we keep Soto on a long term deal and load up for another run in a few years.  Be interesting to see what sort of pieces we can get back.

The only disappointing thing to me about Strasburg is that it was entirely predictable. 2019 was I think the only completely health season he had in his career. And we picked him over Rendon. This would have been a very different team if we had let Stras walk and re-signed Rendon. 

_________

Awesome… 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The only disappointing thing to me about Strasburg is that it was entirely predictable. 2019 was I think the only completely health season he had in his career. And we picked him over Rendon. This would have been a very different team if we had let Stras walk and re-signed Rendon. 

Eh, I don't know.  Rendon hasn't exactly been tearing up the American league since he left. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

when it rains it pours. has to be the worst Nats week ever

An interesting and potentially disastrous plot twist for the team is wondering if any teams hesitate to pull the trigger on our trade pieces (or won’t offer a premium return) because certain unvaccinated players contracted covid. Certainly for a 20-something athlete you’d expect them to make a full recovery, but there are plenty of examples of players taking awhile to return to form after they got sick. 

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Eh, I don't know.  Rendon hasn't exactly been tearing up the American league since he left. 

He did fine last year (similar OPS to his 2017-18 numbers). Tough year for him this year so far though. Three trips to the IL. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

An interesting and potentially disastrous plot twist for the team is wondering if any teams hesitate to pull the trigger on our trade pieces (or won’t offer a premium return) because certain unvaccinated players contracted covid. Certainly for a 20-something athlete you’d expect them to make a full recovery, but there are plenty of examples of players taking awhile to return to form after they got sick. 

ya, aside from the health aspect, you also dont know how long they'll have to sit out due to covid protocol. and most trades are teams trying to win right now. it's definitely something to think about

3 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

I legitimately don't understand why they need to postpone the game. Over 85% of them are vaccinated.

i think i read the Phillies have the lowest rate in the MLB (something like 50%)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

He did fine last year (similar OPS to his 2017-18 numbers). Tough year for him this year so far though. Three trips to the IL. 

Oh, so he can't stay healthy? Who else has been criticized for that?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The only disappointing thing to me about Strasburg is that it was entirely predictable. 2019 was I think the only completely health season he had in his career.

shows how much of a difference maker he is though. the "only completely healthy season" with him, we win the world series and he's WS MVP.

may have been a dynasty if one guy had a better nervous system

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Oh, so he can't stay healthy? Who else has been criticized for that?

My eyes just rolled into the back of my head.

It was a known substantial risk giving a 7yr $245m contract to a pitcher who had TJS and has had one healthy year his entire career. He’s pitched in like 4 games since getting that contract. Absolutely nuts to compare that to a couple random things that popped up for Rendon this year. 

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

My eyes just rolled into the back of my head.

It was a known substantial risk giving a 7yr $245m contract to a pitcher who had TJS and has had one healthy year his entire career. He’s pitched in like 4 games since getting that contract. Absolutely nuts to compare that to a couple random things that popped up for Rendon this year. 

Rendon always gave off the vibe that he really didn't care that much about baseball.  In one sense, you need a guy who stays level-headed in baseball with its long grind and daily ups and downs.  But he actually said he didn't much care for the sport, calling it boring.  Which concerned me that he might be one of those guys who, once he got paid, would just not put in the effort to stay on top of his game.  Too early to tell whether that's the case. But it wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor in management choosing Stras over him.