Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I'm glad the team won yesterday and at least won't get swept but we were up 12-1 at one point and the Mets still made a game out of it. How?! Even with a mediocre bullpen, that's a safe lead. Maybe a run or two scored, fine, but eight additional runs?!  And that comes after the bullpen blew a lead on Saturday.

I don't doubt their desire to win but it seems like there's some sort of weird aura around this team - spanning several managers and rosters - where there's a fear of winning. It's like watching an episode of Bojack Horseman through a baseball game with all the self-sabotage. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I'm glad the team won yesterday and at least won't get swept but we were up 12-1 at one point and the Mets still made a game out of it. How?! Even with a mediocre bullpen, that's a safe lead. Maybe a run or two scored, fine, but eight additional runs?!  And that comes after the bullpen blew a lead on Saturday.

Mark Zuckerman brought up a game against the Reds in 2017--we were up 10-0, held on 10-7, with Austin Adams and Trevor Gott giving up 7 runs (6 ER_ without recording an out. This lead to the Lawfirm Trades. '17's pen was terrible, but it was a **** division. This is a different story--we should have swept the Mets over the weekend. No one can get anyone out, with any consistency, other than Doolittle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

I don't doubt their desire to win but it seems like there's some sort of weird aura around this team - spanning several managers and rosters - where there's a fear of winning. It's like watching an episode of Bojack Horseman through a baseball game with all the self-sabotage. 

Max gave up the 2nd run, and was responsible for the 3rd.

BP is a **** show, but Davey has a BIG hand in how they are being used.  Matt Grace has no business being on the roster, and he made the team because he is a lefty and has a pulse.

Rizzo should be on the phone trying to get a few relievers who are unsigned.  Kimbrel, Ryan Madson, Bud Norris, AJ Ramos, Joaquin Benoit, and Jim Johnson are all available. And there are several MiLB available for call up as well...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Max gave up the 2nd run, and was responsible for the 3rd.

BP is a **** show, but Davey has a BIG hand in how they are being used.  Matt Grace has no business being on the roster, and he made the team because he is a lefty and has a pulse.

Rizzo should be on the phone trying to get a few relievers who are unsigned.  Kimbrel, Ryan Madson, Bud Norris, AJ Ramos, Joaquin Benoit, and Jim Johnson are all available. And there are several MiLB available for call up as well...

I am not a fan of Davey--but no one is any kind of consistent. He can't mismanage if everyone sucks. Matt Grace was good last year. Problem is Barraclough and Rosenthal were gambles. I like Suero, but he needs more days like yesterday.

Everyone you named there, other than Kimbrel, are terrible. Madson went to LA and let just about every inherited runner score, he's contemplating retirement. AJ Ramos has been terrible for 2 years--take a look at his numbers, he had a 6.41 ERA last year, walking almost 5 per 9. He is not an improvement. Jim Johnson is only better than Rosenthal...that's a pretty low bar. Benoit is done, he's 41 and hasn't thrown a pitch since netting a 7.56 ERA for the Pirates. I'd rather see Austin Williams, Ben Braymer, James Borque, someone that can use the experience. Hell, can't be worse.

Madson fell off a cliff last year. Ramos, Benoit, and Johnson have all sported 1.6+ WHIP in recent years. 

Norris is interesting. He signed late and his fastball was low 90s in spring training (94 last year). If you’re ok with bringing him along slowly, he could help the team late in the year. 

Kimbrel is out there... and would clearly help the team. But at what cost, for how many years, and would he be able to come in from day 1 and be good? Huge question marks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Kimbrel is out there... and would clearly help the team. But at what cost, for how many years, and would he be able to come in from day 1 and be good? Huge question marks

Kimbrel wouldn't be ready until May, from what I've heard. He and his agent didn't do themselves any favors in this fiasco.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Kimbrel wouldn't be ready until May, from what I've heard. He and his agent didn't do themselves any favors in this fiasco.

Which means right now teams are thinking to themselves, why not just wait a little bit longer (trade deadline) so he doesn't have the qualifying offer draft pick attached to him. 

16 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Which means right now teams are thinking to themselves, why not just wait a little bit longer (trade deadline) so he doesn't have the qualifying offer draft pick attached to him. 

You'd have to think that availability time goes up with each passing week. If he signs in June--then what? July? August?

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You'd have to think that availability time goes up with each passing week. If he signs in June--then what? July? August?

I mean how hard is it for him to work with a private trainer throwing bullpens? A pitch is a pitch, shouldn’t need a live batter on the other end to stay in shape and ready to go. Little different for batters who haven’t seen MLB pitching. 

Now that I’m thinking about it though, he’s probably staying in coast mode rather than ramp-up mode. Worst thing for him at this point would be a random injury. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I mean how hard is it for him to work with a private trainer throwing bullpens? A pitch is a pitch, shouldn’t need a live batter on the other end to stay in shape and ready to go. Little different for batters who haven’t seen MLB pitching. 

It's what ****ed Greg Holland up most of last year

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

No one can get anyone out, with any consistency, other than Doolittle.

"Aye, there's the rub."

Someone brought this up on the Nat's subreddit that this team's been jinxed ever since the 2012 NLDS and it got me thinking because what happened that night was...unnatural. It was a choking that defies reason. Throughout the past 6+ years, this seems to be a problem over and over and over again. You can't tell me this team wouldn't have at least one pennant under its belt were it not for that night and what it wrought.

And yes, I know curses aren't real and it's more complicated than that so please spare me, you miserable pendants. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

How is that even possible?  3 weeks for a relief pitcher to get ready?  Has he been encased in carbonite since last year?

Bullpen ERA

Doolittle -  0.00

Barraclough - 2.08

Miller - 4.15

Hellickson - 9.00

Grace - 13.50

Suero - 13.50

Sipp - 18.00

Ross - 81.00

Rosenthal - infinity.00

That looks more like scoring averages for an NBA basketball roster.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Bullpen ERA

Doolittle -  0.00

Barraclough - 2.08

Miller - 4.15

Hellickson - 9.00

Grace - 13.50

Suero - 13.50

Sipp - 18.00

Ross - 81.00

Rosenthal - infinity.00

That looks more like scoring averages for an NBA basketball roster.

Barraclough is misleading, at one point he let five consecutive inherited runners score.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

Players have to play and managers have to manage. I believe Rizzo has supplied us with a championship caliber roster at least twice in the past 10 years, maybe more, and they simply underperformed. 

Using Rizzo as a scapegoat will only result in worse rosters down the road. 

Barring a complete collapse, i would not fire Rizzo. I'm just of the mindset that if what we have seen continues, it is much harder to defend him.

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Is it even possible to quantify how much better Gomes and Suzuki is over Wieters and Lobaton?

with those two clowns, we were giving up 2 free innings a game if you count the pitcher.  

hopefully going through a rotation a full first time will lessen the usage of the bullpen along with day offs.