Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

If they are all trash, how can you mismanage it?

Sipp HAS to be brought in to face Cano. It’s required. THAT is the reason he was signed. He comes in to face Cano, that inning plays out way differently. Davey is always a move behind and reacting to the game, versus dictating how the the game plays out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Sipp HAS to be brought in to face Cano. It’s required. THAT is the reason he was signed. He comes in to face Cano, that inning plays out way differently. Davey is always a move behind and reacting to the game, versus dictating how the the game plays out. 

Sipp sucks too.

Pretty much have to make a move at this point. Austen Williams had a 0 ERA in spring training. 

Take anything at this point.

Really wish Glover's shoulder could stay healthy too.

Edited by CRobi21

2017 started like this and we made the playoffs. I still think we can pull it together with a few good moves and the team is starting to hit really damn well even without Trea. 

I worry about Martinez though. Miller vs Cano was such a bad idea. 

Edited by Bacon

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am a huge Rizzo fan, but this is on him. Many saw this coming

Is it though? Let’s look at the offseason additions (and assume for argument’s sake that he was legitimately given a “below luxury tax” budget). Sanchez and Corbin were absolute needs. Maybe you can shave a million or two by signing a slightly worse rotation arm. But we needed two and we got two. Dozier was maybe unnecessary but only if you were definitely ready to bring up Kieboom or roll with Difo. Dozier also wasn’t particularly expensive. Catchers were really high quality and also fairly inexpensive. Then the relievers... budget signings all around, hoping for upside. 

So why this strategy? You can’t count on solid rotation arms to become available at the trade deadline, and they don’t come cheap. There are *always* decent bullpen arms available via trade, and they usually don’t cost that much to acquire.  

Basically, my thinking is Rizzo knew that on the budget he was given he wouldn’t be able to completely fix the team, but the one area he left incomplete was the area he knew he’d have the best chance of fixing as we approach the trade deadline. Perfect strategy? No, it sucks. Understandable? Yeah, sorta. 

Unfortunately, with a rotation as expensive as ours, we are going to run into issues with how much $ can be invested in other areas of the team. And if there’s a single area that you can typically get away with underspending, it’s the bullpen. 

6 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Then the relievers... budget signings all around, hoping for upside. 

I'm sure there were budget considerations, but this is how he's always handled the bullpen. I'm also wondering why we can't develop relievers. We've had 2 blow up immediately after getting traded. 

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm sure there were budget considerations, but this is how he's always handled the bullpen. I'm also wondering why we can't develop relievers. We've had 2 blow up immediately after getting traded. 

speaks to a larger issue with pitcher development overall. we've been much more successful with position players.

outside of Roark, and maybe Ross, when's the last time we got more of than expected out of a relatively young arm. One way to save the budget is to develop starting arms. We keep taking guys with injury histories who haven't panned out.

4 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

And they get a blooper that could bring rain. Oh and he ends up on 3rd base........

a more cynical man than I would propose that the team is trolling Davey, trying to get him fired

why the hell did Suzuki throw to 3rd? it worked out ultimately, but still

Edited by StillUnknown