Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feels like we're pretty far off from being able to match up with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Astros, etc.

Dodgers would have to have everyone die in their starting lineup to not make a 3rd straight WS. I think they're the NL favorite. If they had gotten Harper? Their lineup would have been INSANE.

Their rotation, especially with a declining Kershaw is questionable--although Buehler looks legit.

5 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

lol at Harper calling Philly the greatest city in the world. It's been a day and I think I already actually hate this guy. 

He's gone full Regina George.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

lol at Harper calling Philly the greatest city in the world. It's been a day and I think I already actually hate this guy. 

This seriously has the possibility of being the first major piece of a serious rivalry.  If we have multiple meaningful games / series while he's there... I could see them becoming our top rival for many years.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, CRobi21 said:

Trout gonna get 400+ mil in a couple of years. Crazy.

Far and away the best player in baseball.

Harper's WAR since the MVP season is 7.3 with two seasons below league average of 2. Trout has been worth 27.3 WAR in the same time period.

They aren't even comparable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone else think Harper and Boras left a lot of money out there?

The Dodgers apparently offered him a deal that was going to average over 45 million the next 4 years. Why not sign that deal and the. Go back into free agency in your prime and sign a contract that has an average salary higher for 10 years? It’s weird because Harper been betting on himself since he turned 15 yet he decided not to here. I don’t know.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

13 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Dodgers apparently offered him a deal that was going to average over 45 million the next 4 years. Why not sign that deal and the. Go back into free agency in your prime and sign a contract that has an average salary higher for 10 years? It’s weird because Harper been betting on himself since he turned 15 yet he decided not to here. I don’t know.

I think he wants to stick it to the Nationals for whatever reason. 

Avoiding social media today. I know he'll say all the right things for the media and fanbase up there. It'll still sting a little. I know the big debate is if Philly will regret this or not. I also wonder how he'll handle their reaction to a slump or something that keeps him off the field at some time. DC would grumble but we never got vicious like their diehard fanbase does. I was at a Phillies game about 10 years ago right after they won the WS. They were playing Oakland and lose. Philly was still in 1st place. They were booed off the field and met with E-A-G-L-E-S chants. It was pretty raw. Bryce never had to deal with that here in his life.

The perks I read were pretty amazing. All the bonuses. A lot that he'll get like the AS game which he's a lock to be named a starter. The Suite on the road I imagine was a big deal for him. I wonder how much MLBs have that also.

41 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Contracts allocate risk.  Harper probably could have gotten a lot more money over his entire career IF he plays at an extremely high level consistently for the next 10 years.  Right now, he doesn't have to worry about any of that, he's guaranteed $330 million no matter what.  

It was also important for him to become "the face of a franchise" for branding purposes, so bouncing from team to team every 4 years was not something he wanted to do.  

36 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Contracts allocate risk.  Harper probably could have gotten a lot more money over his entire career IF he plays at an extremely high level consistently for the next 10 years.  Right now, he doesn't have to worry about any of that, he's guaranteed $330 million no matter what.  

It was also important for him to become "the face of a franchise" for branding purposes, so bouncing from team to team every 4 years was not something he wanted to do.  

He could have gotten that money and security if he plays at a high level just the next two years.

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think he could have gotten a 10/300 year at age 30.

Sure, you think that.  18 months ago people legitimately thought Harper could get half a billion dollars.  

Things change.  Change is risk.  Contracts allocate risk.  

Harper took the sure thing.  Certainty costs money.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

its a really weird contract. Boras also said that Bryce was the one who insisted on no opt outs, which is absolutely foolish. There is no downside to the opt out from the players perspective.

Maybe he just wanted the history. Somebody will exceed 330mil, i'm not sure anybody gets another 13yr deal. He can still claim history even when someone tops the dollar amount