Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree that is the current situation.  I think Harper moving from the Nats to Philly gives Nats fans reason to hate Philly, and that will be reciprocated.  For 13 years.  

Yeah. Maybe. I don't think we're a "nice" fanbase and you can't compare standing ovations for the guys that have come back after being cut or traded. But I just don't see us being that hard booing fanbase either.

39 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Yeah. Maybe. I don't think we're a "nice" fanbase and you can't compare standing ovations for the guys that have come back after being cut or traded. But I just don't see us being that hard booing fanbase either.

I think Harper will be out there getting heckled all game long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Still bummed this AM. But that'll go away.

Next steps as many have said should be.

#1. Locking down Rendon for a long time,

#2. Looking back as so many of the good free agents who are still available and would be impactful. Dallas Keuchel? Craig Kimbrel? Tony Sipp?

Tony sipp makes alot of damn sense. 

So i just met with the owner of the Mets... I threw a dig about his 'minor league' team and how we will be winning the World Series this year. I also asked him how he felt about the Harper deal...

He laughed and said he hopes he's alive long enough to watch it spoil the Phillies for a long time

Bryce is high maintenance and I think that was a point of conflict in the locker room.  I don't think he fit in well here, and I think the team didn't really want to keep him and that he needed a change of scenery.  We would have kept him at a bargain, but if we had really wanted to keep him, we could have afforded to do so.

I'm not heartbroken that he left, but I am disappointed he picked Philly.  I could have wished him well in San Francisco or LA but not in Philly.

Though it does beg the question of why didn't we trade him?  That was clearly a mistake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not heartbroken that he left, but I am disappointed he picked Philly.  I could have wished him well in San Francisco or LA but not in Philly.

Though it does beg the question of why didn't we trade him?  That was clearly a mistake.

Him going to Philly is what chaffes my chicken--and now those barely literate garbage fans are going to suddenly claim how die-hard they are. And those are the most obnoxious fans in sports.

Hindsight is 20/20, but they really were offered the equivalent of Erick Fedde, Spencer Kieboom, and a Low-A pitcher.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not a Nats fan but I do follow them.  I can't believe any Nats fan wanted them to sign Harper to this deal.    I will always believe he is overrated and that contract will strangle the Phils for a long long time.  

It won't be, and that's what I'm most irritated about. They have really low contract commitments the next few years and reportedly frontloaded his contract accordingly. He'll be a bargain for them well into his mid 30s. 

52 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Him going to Philly is what chaffes my chicken--and now those barely literate garbage fans are going to suddenly claim how die-hard they are. And those are the most obnoxious fans in sports.

Hindsight is 20/20, but they really were offered the equivalent of Erick Fedde, Spencer Kieboom, and a Low-A pitcher.

Still, by end of August everyone knew the Nats were toast (they did too, they traded many of their players). So why the hell not take the best offer for Harper if you were never going to truly be in the running for him? That's three players/prospects they don't have now that they could have. 

This is really hindsight.. but maybe if they did trade to him LAD he would have actually signed there and not with goddamn Philly. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

5 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

So why the hell not take the best offer for Harper if you were never going to truly be in the running for him?

At the time, are you sure this is what they believed? Or is this 20/20 hindsight again?

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

This is really hindsight.. but maybe if they did trade to him LAD he would have actually signed there and not with goddamn Philly.

Based on?

Harper wanted one thing and one thing only: to top Stanton. That's it.

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

At the time, are you sure this is what they believed? Or is this 20/20 hindsight again?

Based on?

Harper wanted one thing and one thing only: to top Stanton. That's it.

It's not hindsight, they were done and they knew it, as evidenced by the fact they traded a bunch of pieces that would have helped them make a run. The rationale for keeping Harper right after they pulled him back was that they were making a serious push to re-sign him. That, it turns out, was a joke. 

LAD speculation however was just a thought. It certainly wouldn't have hurt his chances of landing there vs Philly but obviously wasn't a major factor in Nats thinking at the time. 

Edit- just realized the trade you were referring to was the Astros trade not the Dodgers one (waiver trade deadline). Nats didn't tear it down at the non-waiver deadline but the offer from Houston was way more appealing than the Dodgers offer (Puig and change). Astros would have given us a top 100 pitching prospect (of which we currently have none), a catcher they added to their 40 man roster at the end of last year, and an additional pitching prospect. That's not bad for 3 months of Harper. However, at the time I was fine with them not trading him as they would have had an additional month to get back into the mix. 

I want to be clear though: our baseball people were ready to trade Harper and others at the regular trade deadline for a decent ROI. Ownership said no. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wow, that last sentence is pretty damning.

The last sentence in the first paragraph too... that was how I initially saw the offer, thinking the market would yield more like $350m. But, with the deferred $, it was actually much more of a publicity stunt than I initially thought.

That said, if the Nats org was really fine with moving on from Harper to the point that they never put forth a more serious offer than the one described, there was really no excuse to not trade him. Unless the Lerners really thought their best strategy was to *appear* to be trying to re-sign him to appease fans. Which, of course, is stupid. Let baseball people run your baseball team. Good things will happen. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wow, that last sentence is pretty damning.

I think it's pretty clear that he was getting special treatment and it caused fractures in the locker room.  It made us combustible, and I think management didn't want to be held hostage by his stardom and undue influence any more.  But that still begs the question of why not trade him?  Would have been nice to get something in return for him if you knew you didn't want to extend him.

I think things will be smoother and more consistent in the locker room, but it's going to be hard to replace Harper's offense.  Soto was a God send, but as others have said, he was supposed to be the third guy in the heart of the line up, alongside Bryce and Rendon.  Now it's just him and Rendon.  I like what we've got at the top of the order on paper, but a whole lot rests on Soto and Rendon, and I'm not really comfortable with that.  Nor am I comfortable hoping Dozier and Zimmerman can collectively get it done. 

Realistically, we probably need at least one more legit bat to field a championship caliber offense this season.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like what we've got at the top of the order on paper, but a whole lot rests on Soto and Rendon, and I'm not really comfortable with that.  Nor am I comfortable hoping Dozier and Zimmerman can collectively get it done. 

Dozier and Zimm should be at the bottom of the order unless they perform and earn a bump up. Zimm was way too high at times last year.

Eaton, Turner, Rendon, Soto and then you have to figure out Gomes, Robles, Zimm, Dozier and the pitcher.

The lineup is good. With Harper it would have been scary good, potentially best in the NL, but its still a lineup you can win with. I see us making a deal at the deadline for a big bat to push us over the top, kinda like what the Mets did with Cespedes a few years back.

I have a low level of confidence in Zimm hitting well and staying healthy. Adams batting would cover for that. His defense though. If anybody needs to take this focus on fundamentals to heart. It's the guys without the crazy speed and defensive talent. So they do what they can do perfectly.

• Like 1

Zimm had an underrated year last year--as usual--he crushed off the DL--.295/.374/.538 over 52 games. Maybe that has to do with his Spring Training regimen, who knows. He needs to stay healthy, but he still hits. Eaton too had a .805 OPS last year. If these two are healthy, it's a great lineup--top to bottom is better and deeper than Philly's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Dozier and Zimm should be at the bottom of the order unless they perform and earn a bump up. Zimm was way too high at times last year.

Eaton, Turner, Rendon, Soto and then you have to figure out Gomes, Robles, Zimm, Dozier and the pitcher.

In the best possible scenario, Robles hits the ground running and proves good enough to lead off.

But if Eaton can stay healthy for a change, then there isn't that pressure on Robles to be good this season.

Like I said, I like our natural top of the order talent on paper.  It just needs to be healthy.

But we simply don't have reliable 5 and 6 hole options.  Like Still said, Zim is the key to the order.  If we get 600 PAs from him (not likely) then we would be fine.  But if we get less than 300 again, we are in trouble.

We'll also be screwed if Rendon gets hurt or Soto regresses.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It just needs to be healthy.

Kinda goes for everyone. If Harper gets hurt? Realmuto? Hoskins? If Nola goes down for any reason...

I think we're better positioned to handle injuries than the Phillies.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Kinda goes for everyone. If Harper gets hurt? Realmuto? Hoskins? If Nola goes down for any reason...

I think we're better positioned to handle injuries than the Phillies. 

I think we have more upside and top of the order talent but I also think we have at least as many injury question marks as them.

The real difference is in the top end quality of starting pitching.  I think it's clear we've got a much better rotation now after signing Corbin.

The Phillies aren't our only competition though.  Feels like we're pretty far off from being able to match up with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Astros, etc.

• Like 1