Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Harper took the sure thing.

That’s my point. Since he decided to forgo his last two years of high school, he hasn’t done the sure thing. This is the first time he didn’t bet on himself when he probably had the most leverage to do so.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

That’s my point. Since he decided to forgo his last two years of high school, he hasn’t done the sure thing. This is the first time he didn’t bet on himself when he probably had the most leverage to do so.

The sure thing isn't all about things Harper can control.  The market has changed dramatically recently.  He's protected himself against changes to the market.  

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Does anyone else think Harper and Boras left a lot of money out there?

The Dodgers apparently offered him a deal that was going to average over 45 million the next 4 years. Why not sign that deal and the. Go back into free agency in your prime and sign a contract that has an average salary higher for 10 years? It’s weird because Harper been betting on himself since he turned 15 yet he decided not to here. I don’t know.

I think Harper knows deep down that there's a good chance he's not going to perform to the level the market currently dictates. Either due to his performance over the past three seasons or declining contract values league-wide, I think he panicked and took the sure thing. Plus, he got a chance to briefly make history. 

17 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Hmmm, finally a press conference faux pas to top the maroon and black

Thought the exact same thing when I saw that. 

Bryce bringing us a championship without even having to pay him. Moneyball!

• Haha 3

So I'm seeing rumor that we're one of the few teams actually kicking the tires on Kimbrel, and possibly the only team willing to offer him a longer deal.  His asking price is probably too steep though, but it would interesting seeing his weird eagle stance thing he does on a frequent basis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kimbrel at closer with Doolittle at setup would also shore up the lefty bullpen need (One of Grace or Solis may pan out.  Hoping for both to pan out would be looking to hit the lottery).  6/100 is insane but even a 3 or even a 4 year deal may make sense.  Probably not 4 actually.

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Kimbrel at closer with Doolittle at setup would also shore up the lefty bullpen need (One of Grace or Solis may pan out.  Hoping for both to pan out would be looking to hit the lottery).  6/100 is insane but even a 3 or even a 4 year deal may make sense.  Probably not 4 actually.

Holy ****... I hadn’t read up on any of his contract rumors but good lord his 6/100 asking price is absurd, especially coming off a somewhat down year with him turning 31. I can see why Boston was apparently not interested in bringing him back.

For me, if the Nats can get him for a reasonable term I’m game. If it turns out they get him because they’re the only team stupid enough to give him 4+ years, hardest of passes. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bearrock said:

that man got a brass set asking for 6 years

need him to pass a drug test before I offer any contract at this point

On the flipside, Doolittle seems intelligent enough not to get wrapped up in saves/closer madness, I dont think they would have a problem coexisting

Edited by StillUnknown

10 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Feels like when we signed Soriano...

Ugh, I thought I scrubbed those memories out with Comet...nope, still there.

Imo, Rizzo's bane has been the closer spot. The only thing he has repeatedly struggled with and arguably failed at. And Treinen killing it last season didn't help (Blake needed that change of scenery to do that though).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metalhead said:

Ugh, I thought I scrubbed those memories out with Comet...nope, still there.

Imo, Rizzo's bane has been the closer spot. The only thing he has repeatedly struggled with and arguably failed at. And Treinen killing it last season didn't help (Blake needed that change of scenery to do that though).

And seeing Vazquez (fka Rivero) in Pittsburgh, as well. He did well to bring in Melancon and Doolittle--and those moves were wholly necessary. 

We seriously need to look at how we develop pitchers in general. The last pitcher we successfully developed was Roark.

• Like 2

I think signing Kimbrel would put us over the luxury threshold, and I'm not clear on the impact that would have on signing others to long term deals.  That said, our bullpen has serious injury concerns.  Rosenthal is coming back from TJ, Doolittle and Barraclough both spent time on the DL last year, Glover is already shut down, we need another arm.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

With the bats in the NL East. I would like to see them go for a number of pitchers right now. Overpay on short term deals if you can. Said this a few pages ago. dallas keuchel, Craig Kimbrel, Tony Sipp. I'd like all 3. But if you can get me Keuchel and one of the others. That's pretty good.

If we didn't have MaT as their 3rd of 4th OF depending on Robles. I would seriously look at Adam Jones. Good leadership guy. Was productive. Just 33 in Bmore where they can't afford to have guys who won't be around after a rebuild playing.

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think signing Kimbrel would put us over the luxury threshold, and I'm not clear on the impact that would have on signing others to long term deals.  That said, our bullpen has serious injury concerns.  Rosenthal is coming back from TJ, Doolittle and Barraclough both spent time on the DL last year, Glover is already shut down, we need another arm.  

Right. On paper, we look fine there. In reality, we're not fine.

We could possibly add one expensive arm, but probably not two.

I think Nats really want to stay below lux threshold this year to reset the clock.  They could spread out Zimmerman's contract and maybe tack on a year or two to create room.  He's owed 18 this year and 2 mil buy out next year, so maybe 3/30 or 4/40 gets it done.  That would create enough room to sign Kimbrel without going over the threshold this year assuming an AAV of 17-18 mil.