Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Two teams from each league make the wild card game.  Whatever team wins that game then advances to the Divisional round of the playoffs.  Winner of Wild Card game between Nationals/Brewers will face Dodgers in the next round because Wild Card winner plays the team with the best record during the regular season.

Ok, so the wild card spot is like football, but everything else is a series. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I have a feeling the young guns answer the bell today. May be in store for something epic. Lord knows I need it. Sports is gonna suck for awhile, outside of the Nats

The Junkies coverage of the Nats this morning was surprisingly good. Even Lurch said "If the Nats lose, we'll have to talk about Haskins, Case Keenum, Jay getting fired...I don't want to do that"

The Nationals and their fans need this. We need a run. We need SOMETHING. I am so tired of the "playoff series" chirps.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 2

This city really needs a win tonight. The Wizards finally seem to have competent leadership but will suck for a while because of Ernie the Clown. The Redskins are an abomination of every type, and the Capitals won't know if championship #2 is in reach until springtime next year.

After seeing how the Nationals embraced the Caps Cup run in 2018, I really really want them to win one as well. Love seeing those two rosters partying together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Things I'm nervous about:

-- NLWC Home team is 2-5.

-- Woodruff-Lyles-Hader aren't big names, other than Hader, but can shut a line up down.

-- Nats have never hit Woodruff

-- We've won 8, they've lost 3. We're due for a loss, they're due for a win.

-- DC team in an elimination game does not instill a boatload of confidence, Caps Cup Run aside.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm banking on the Corey Spangenberg or Travis Shaw with the bent over, one-handed, 2 RBI double...

7c4W.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

This city really needs a win tonight. The Wizards finally seem to have competent leadership but will suck for a while because of Ernie the Clown. The Redskins are an abomination of every type, and the Capitals won't know if championship #2 is in reach until springtime next year.

After seeing how the Nationals embraced the Caps Cup run in 2018, I really really want them to win one as well. Love seeing those two rosters partying together.

We got the Mystics!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Mystics....

• Haha 1

Just now, bearrock said:

Parry a classic with another classic.  Well played. *slow clap*

I'll just be positive enough for both of us.  Please excuse me while I hook up some liquid courage to my veins.  

I have a deadline this afternoon (which I am waiting on others to finish their stuff). And the game tonight.

There is not a strong enough antacid right now.

• Like 1

This piece by Boswell yesterday really captures the zeitgeist of this team and its fans this season.  A great read leading into this game:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/sharks-are-chomping-at-nats-park-and-i-think-were-going-to-need-a-bigger-bandwagon/2019/09/30/48794612-e36c-11e9-a331-2df12d56a80b_story.html

(Much of the article is below.  I left out a lot - including a subtle dig at a recently departed "superstar.")

Sharks are chomping at Nats Park, and I think we’re going to need a bigger bandwagon

by Thomas Boswell

On Sunday, 36,764 fans came to the final regular season game at Nationals Park to cheer, chant and dress up in jerseys with their favorite players’ numbers. Thousands also came in goofy shark hats and bandannas — and even at least one full-body shark costume. Because this game had no meaning in the standings, they came just to give ovations of thanks for months of fun and surprise to every Washington Nationals player who deserved such praise, which in their view was all of them.

The Nats, who will host the National League wild-card game against Milwaukee on Tuesday, won their eighth straight game to give them 93 wins for the season. If you’d foreseen that, or anything close to it, on May 23, you could have turned a small mound of cash into a large hill of bills at the expense of someone in Las Vegas.

... This Nats season was about the power and joy of men from Venezuela to Folsom, La.; from the Dominican to Rapid City, S.D.; from Brazil to Las Vegas, joining in one uninhibited, embrace-our-diversity, summerlong party. It’s about Kurt Suzuki, of Japanese and Hawaiian ancestry, dancing Bollywood style in the dugout after hitting a home run “in honor of some of my Indian friends.” It’s about getting Stephen Strasburg to smile, dance and accept a group hug.

On Sunday, I said to Nats closer Sean Doolittle, “They ought to change the name of this team to the Washington Internationals.”

Doolittle started laughing and said: “That’s right. It’s absolutely a strength of ours — 100 percent. We didn’t start winning until Gerardo Parra came in May. We’re lucky to have these guys here — the Latin guys.

“There’s something about the way this group clicks. The clubhouse is one big comfort zone. [The Latin players] b

ring energy. They have fun. They put other people at ease. People come out of their shell. We did not have that last year — for sure. The chemistry wasn’t there.”

Of course, having a veteran who chooses “Baby Shark” as his walk-up song has a way of making everyone act silly. It probably doesn’t hurt that he drives a yellow scooter to the ballpark — and sometimes around the clubhouse.

... In April and May, the Nats gazed, perplexed, at their chemistry beaker — which already had well-respected leaders such as Max Scherzer, Adam Eaton, Doolittle and, in their own ways, Anthony Rendon, Trea Turner and Juan Soto, just 20. Not a bad apple in the barrel. Yet the combination was inert.

Then the Nats picked up castoff Parra because injuries had left them desperate for a warm, professional outfield body. The Nats weren’t trying to be brilliant, though Rizzo knew Parra from his Arizona days. In his second game, Parra had a pinch-hit grand slam. This was no shock from a man with 1,312 career hits, two Gold Gloves and $42 million in salaries.

What stunned the Nats was Parra himself. Just by being himself, he demanded, playfully, that everyone have fun, almost all the time. He hugged after hits. He and Sánchez cooked up the dugout dance party after every home run. Parra wore funky, orange-tinted sunglasses throughout the game. Soon, Sánchez was next to him in pink-tinted specs — standing on the top step for three hours, studying the game, chattering, joking, getting teammates involved in talking baseball during the game — even on days they didn’t play.

Soon, every Nat who got a single turned to the dugout and made a tiny gesture with his thumb and index finger — like a Baby Shark biting. For a double, they made their whole hand a Mama Shark snapping jaw. For a homer, the Nats made huge chomping Daddy Shark motions with both arms.

The whole crowd joined in. Soon cheesy, cheerful shark gear appeared.

Somehow, the mystery of human interaction, the personalities of Sánchez and Parra, both from Venezuela, empowered all the other Latin players — Soto, Robles and Wander Suero from the Dominican Republic and Gomes from Brazil — to let out all the energy and joy that is ingrained in the béisbol cultures of their countries. Later, Fernando Rodney of the Dominican Republic and another Venezuelan, Asdrúbal Cabrera, joined the mix.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/sharks-are-chomping-at-nats-park-and-i-think-were-going-to-need-a-bigger-bandwagon/2019/09/30/48794612-e36c-11e9-a331-2df12d56a80b_story.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Ok, so the wild card spot is like football, but everything else is a series. 

To be honest, as thrilled as I am that we got this far, I don't count the WC game as the playoffs. Post-season, sure, by technicality. It's a glorified play-in game like the ones fringe schools are offered in the NCAA tournament. 

This team is in great position to win tonight, and if they blow it, they will have wasted a great opportunity for something special. This is why I disagree with anyone saying we're playing with house money just because we can say we reached the playoffs after a bad start.

No, we're less than a month away from placing the franchise among the league's best. 

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Suero seems to be the biggest name left off

Suero appeared in more games this season than any other pitcher, by far.  78 games.  Next closest is Doolittle at 63.

Edited by Dan T.